03/27/20 DVC Has Updated Their Coronavirus Page

Try chat. I have had good luck there. But don’t hang up and see which one you get first.
Canceled our June trip - queue tears😞 Points are in my 2020 UY now and the very kind MS rep said they will go to 2021 within a couple weeks after a request she submitted will be processed. My 4 OTU points remain in 2020 until I rebook or just lose them. I know we’ll rebook but I’m kind of nervously watching and waiting.

I recently canceled a reservation using both 2019 and borrowed 2020 points using Aug UY points. I did it to cut our loses so I could bank the 2019 points. I was planning to try and rent out the 2020 points as they had to be used by Aug 1.
But now, could I make a reservation for April using the borrowed 2020 points with the expectation that Disney will cancel it and have the points returned to 2020? Do you think that will work?
It feels a bit like finding a loophole in the system....

It would work, but when was the original trip you canceled. If it was for March since this all started, you don’t need to do that as they are allowing all borrowed points from then to be returned, just contact them to request it.

What I don’t know is if the system will let new reservations happen right now in April. I wanted to check for my new October trip and it wouldn’t load at all,

ETA: working now

Anybody know if they are offering refunds for OTU points? I have a September trip that uses 24 OTU points and my UY is October. I certainly hope this is over by then and we can make the trip, but would like to know what to expect if we cannot.

Laura
We were refunded our OTU points for our end of March stay.

<Snip>
The only way room availability is a major issue is if they allow double banking of points that should have expired. Returning borrowed points can maintain balance because of how units are allocated. Units were allocated based on the banking and a fair projection of borrowing based on actuarial tables. </Snip>

You're exactly right. Mostly. Borrowing balances banking. Just like I said in my post. It is designed to work and balance in concurrent years. Here's the part you missed. My points were not banked. They are current UY points. These points were not banked from 2018.

Last edited:
You're exactly right. Mostly. Borrowing balances balancing. Just like I said in my post. It is designed to work and balance in concurrent years. Here's the part you missed. My points were not banked. They are current UY points. These points were not banked from 2018.

The banking and borrowing balance you keep mentioning is also based on people banking on time, not late.

Allowing late banking will also have an effect. It may not have as detrimental of an effect of banking banked points, but none the less, it is adding extra points that may not typically be there because late banking is not allowed,

I do think people understand what you are saying, and that what you want is late banking, which is different than banking banked points.

Here is another piece, Before you made your reservation, your points were available for any resercation..they were not attached to specific dates. But can’t borrow points until you pick specific dates to use the, That is another aspect that could be playing a role,

I think the issue is that we all have a different opinion of what is going on.

You believe if borrowed points can go back, then points should be banked beyond deadline.

Others believe that sending borrowed points back makes sense and that banking late may or may not and thus, DVCM has to figure that piece out, hopefully to the benefit of owners like you.

All we know is that they get to decide because they have all the numbers, how many points there are, and what options they may have that none of us are privy to,

Last edited:

The banking and borrowing balance you keep mentioning is also based on people banking on time, not late.

Allowing late banking will also have an effect. It may not have as detrimental of an effect of banking banked points, but none the less, it is adding extra points that may not typically be there because late banking is not allowed,

I do think people understand what you are saying, and that what you want is late banking, which is different than banking banked points.

Here is another piece, Before you made your reservation, your points were available for any resercation..they were not attached to specific dates. But can’t borrow points until you pick specific dates to use the, That is another aspect that could be playing a role,

I think the issue is that we all have a different opinion of what is going on.

You believe if borrowed points can go back, then points should be banked beyond deadline.

Others believe that sending borrowed points back makes sense and that banking late may or may not and thus, DVCM has to figure that piece out, hopefully to the benefit of owners like you.

All we know is that they get to decide because they have all the numbers, how many points there are, and what options they may have that none of us are privy to,

What I should have done is banked all my points for 2019 in December and use borrowed points for any reservation after the banking window. Lesson learned. It won't happen again. I at least now have a precedent on my side if I do that going forward.

I won't ever make a reservation again after my banking window that doesn't involve borrowed points.

How 'bout them apples? :D

What I should have done is banked all my points for 2019 in December and use borrowed points for any reservation after the banking window. Lesson learned. It won't happen again. I at least now have a precedent on my side if I do that going forward.

I won't ever make a reservation again after my banking window that doesn't involve borrowed points.

How 'bout them apples? :D

All I will say is that I am sorry this is such a difficult time for you and that this situation has caused you frustration. Hopefully, it never happens again and you can get back to using your DVC in a way that makes you happy!

Allowing late banking will also have an effect. It may not have as detrimental of an effect of banking banked points, but none the less, it is dding extra points that may not typically be there because late banking is not allowed,

I don't think that particularly is much of an issue but it's certainly an excuse for DVC. Maybe there's numbers somewhere to support how that keeps things in balance but considering that an owner can borrow at any points I suspect whatever the reason for the deadline so much that it's detrimental to inventory in that way. It might just allow better forecasting for DVC to estimate rooms they can or need to turn over for cash reservations for exchanges or breakage. And, I know I'm a broken record on this, but DVC gives themselves the ability to extend late banking to new contracts they sell.

Reality is that nobody has ever had a good explanation for the existence of UY's and since OKW DVC has not made an effort to keep the UY's evenly distributed. It just as easily could be done on an annual basis - ie everyone had the same UY.

I don't think that particularly is much of an issue but it's certainly an excuse for DVC. Maybe there's numbers somewhere to support how that keeps things in balance but considering that an owner can borrow at any points I suspect whatever the reason for the deadline so much that it's detrimental to inventory in that way. It might just allow better forecasting for DVC to estimate rooms they can or need to turn over for cash reservations for exchanges or breakage. And, I know I'm a broken record on this, but DVC gives themselves the ability to extend late banking to new contracts they sell.

Reality is that nobody has ever had a good explanation for the existence of UY's and since OKW DVC has not made an effort to keep the UY's evenly distributed. It just as easily could be done on an annual basis - ie everyone had the same UY.

Yes, they included the language in the Home Resort Rules that specifically gives them thst authority in an owners first UY to bank late. Hey Found that last night and never realized it was actually a policy vs just doing it.

I agree that the late banking stance right now is most likely for Predictions which is the whole point. I am surprised they haven’t put a hold on borrowing because right now half the UYs could. On the other hand, availability when those points would be borrowed back into is already limited so who knows if that plays a role.

As you said, none of us have all the info they do and honestly, I still wouldn’t want to be the ones trying to figure it out because no matter what happens, some owners will be upset.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter