03/27/20 DVC Has Updated Their Coronavirus Page

Marionnette

Children see magic because they look for it
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/travel-information/
Temporary Updates to Our Cancellation Policy

We will automatically cancel any reservation scheduled for arrival during any closure. You do not need to cancel the reservation online or contact Member Services.

To make the process of changing reservations as smooth as possible, Disney Vacation Club has lifted the close-in reservation cancellation restrictions and will return any of your Points back as Vacation Points or Reservation Points without placing them into holding. Borrowed Points returned due to a cancellation of a Disney Vacation Club Resort reservation will not be placed in holding and will be returned to the Use Year they were borrowed from.

At this time, we have not made any changes to our Points banking or expiration policy due the impact this could have on future inventory availability. We understand this is of particular concern for Members with reservations affected by closures and/or the COVID-19 situation who may be toward the end of their Use Year. We are, however, currently evaluating various options to assist Members in this situation, but will need to delay any decisions until we better understand how long COVID-19 will impact our operations.

so we wait, hoping I dont lose points in the end!
Yeah. It’s still not very clear how long you need to wait. I just canceled an end of May reservation that used borrowed points from a Sept. UY. I was able to bank my 2019 points but the borrowed points stayed put. I quickly booked 4th of July with the borrowed points just so they wouldn’t go to waste but I would really prefer to have them back in my 2020 UY.

Easter trip (April 11-18) comprising 181 current UY studio points. June UY. APs that expire April 5 and required renewal to insure FPs for the Easter trip to the tune of $2500.

We're gonna get screwed so many ways I'll need a spreadsheet to figure it all out.

Last edited:

Yeah. It’s still not very clear how long you need to wait. I just canceled an end of May reservation that used borrowed points from a Sept. UY. I was able to bank my 2019 points but the borrowed points stayed put. I quickly booked 4th of July with the borrowed points just so they wouldn’t go to waste but I would really prefer to have them back in my 2020 UY.

They are putting borrowed points back. Mine were done yesterday and I able to reschedule for October.

I got a CM via chat who did it right away for me after she asked if I had plans to book something else soon.

With closures being extended, you may be able to call back and get the borrowed points returned to original UY. I think they were only doing that for dates within the closure, but they seem to be extending that option for the new closure dates.

Still holding out hope for our July trip... but if it's a no-go, I really hope we can return the borrowed points and bank the current - I don't think we'd be able to use all of them before they expire (Dec UY). Good luck everyone!

This is the right decision and I’m glad to see they are doing it automatically without a phone call. It is also smart on their part to not do anything regarding expiring points until they know they are reopening. I suspect May 1st is the earliest possible date, and I think only one park will open at a time. I also think they don’t want to close them again and will wait until they are confident that won’t happen. Which could mean that it goes on to a point that one park opens, they earn enough money to be able to open a second park 1 or 2 months later and so on. Could be real ugly...

Easter trip (April 11-18) comprising 181 current UY studio points. June UY. APs that expire April 5 and required renewal to insure FPs for the Easter trip to the tune of $2500.

We're gonna get screwed so many ways I'll need a spreadsheet to figure it all out.
June UY here also! had a trip booked April 3-9th with points that they have now put back to 2019, no way in hell we can use those 45 points by may 31st. I want them to allow banking again! We also have Ap's which expire april 11th, and was going to renew while there.

I am in a similar situation with a June UY, April reservation 119 current UY points. I hope whatever they come up with helps with your APs too.

What happened to people who own points pinned to dedicated weeks? Just curious, as I'm not a DVC owner, but the dedicated-week ownership always appealed to me.

I see almost zero chance they'll allow a second round of banking.

At the end of the day this is real estate. Loss of use is common and often not compensated. Just ask anyone who has had to hang in a FEMA trailer.
But it's not only an issue of banking a second time. My points have not been banked yet, but I can't bank them because my banking deadline was January 31. I understand the concerns with inventory, but allowing members to put borrowed points back to the next use year affects inventory too. How did they decide to allow an exception for putting borrowed points back but not making an exception to banking deadlines?

But it's not only an issue of banking a second time. My points have not been banked yet, but I can't bank them because my banking deadline was January 31. I understand the concerns with inventory, but allowing members to put borrowed points back to the next use year affects inventory too. How did they decide to allow an exception for putting borrowed points back but not making an exception to banking deadlines?

Borrowed points can still be accommodated in upcoming inventory allocation. Banked points would have already been accounted for, and the closure is part of where they were accounted for.

Even the return of borrowed points may end if they hit a tipping point where they won't be able to make numbers work for availability vs. points. And even if they can make the numbers work, people should be aware that they may find availability is Bungalows.

What happened to people who own points pinned to dedicated weeks? Just curious, as I'm not a DVC owner, but the dedicated-week ownership always appealed to me.
Guaranteed weeks give the owner the option to cancel the reservation and use those points any other time if they wish so they would just go another time.

Anybody know if they are offering refunds for OTU points? I have a September trip that uses 24 OTU points and my UY is October. I certainly hope this is over by then and we can make the trip, but would like to know what to expect if we cannot.

Laura

When I saw the title of this thread I assumed it was talking about the update above.
Disney did not just move the date out a few weeks as many have expected, but now we are in limbo until further notice

I have a GV booked for May 14-19. Am I understanding correctly that I can wait until May to cancel and not risk having my points put into holding?

I have a GV booked for May 14-19. Am I understanding correctly that I can wait until May to cancel and not risk having my points put into holding?
You can wait until May 14th. If they’re closed, DVC will automatically cancel your reservation.

But you have to keep your UY and banking deadlines in mind. Banked points used for the reservation cannot be banked again. And if you are beyond your banking deadline for other points, they may or may not make an exception. Borrowed points will be returned to their original UY.

At least that’s what they’re saying today. They are trying to figure out what to do for members who have banked and soon-to-expire points.

In the meantime, availability is drying up for fall as members shift their spring trips to the fall.

Is anyone else feeling like June might even be questionable? I’m wondering if we should just cancel and see if borrowed 2021 points just can go back to or hopefully be used by May 31 2020? Or, maybe rebook for Fall/Winter?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!