100% cruise cancellation fee

LAX

DIS Veteran
As my PIF date approaches, I want to make sure I under the cancellation policy just in case. If I have to cancel my cruise within a time frame resulting in incurring "100% cruse cancellation fee", it means I will kiss all of my $$ towards the cruise goodbye (not counting reimbursement from a trip insurance) even I want to commit to another sailing at a later date. In other words, I won't even be able to salvage some fraction of the full payment in the form of a DCL credit, correct?

LAX

As my PIF date approaches, I want to make sure I under the cancellation policy just in case. If I have to cancel my cruise within a time frame resulting in incurring "100% cruse cancellation fee", it means I will kiss all of my $$ towards the cruise goodbye (not counting reimbursement from a trip insurance) even I want to commit to another sailing at a later date. In other words, I won't even be able to salvage some fraction of the full payment in the form of a DCL credit, correct?

LAX
Yes, if you cancel within the 100% penalty period, you lose it all. If you purchased DCL travel insurance, you'll lose that, also. Cancelling a trip you have insured, typically, you won't get your premium back just because you are no longer taking the trip. You might get credit toward insurance on a future trip (with an expiration date on it).

If it’s covered for the reason that you need to cancel. Then the insurance will cover the cost, depending on the contract that you have with said insurance.

JW

Thanks. That's what I figured. I just wasn't sure if cruise cancellation may be similar to plane ticket cancellation where when I cancel, I would still end up with some travel credits after coughing a decent amount of penalty.

LAX

Thanks. That's what I figured. I just wasn't sure if cruise cancellation may be similar to plane ticket cancellation where when I cancel, I would still end up with some travel credits after coughing a decent amount of penalty.

LAX
There is a certain part of the penalty timeframe where it isn't 100%. For example, if you cancel the day after your PIF date, you only lose the required amount of deposit which is typically around 20%. The penalty increases as it gets closer to the sail date. The timeframe for penalties varies with different sailings, whether it sails from an American port, etc. I suppose that some sailings your cabin will be more easily filled than others.
Your confirmation email will list the specifics of the cancellation policy.

I had to cancel our March cruise due to health reasons and even though now I feel well enough to sail, unfortunately I have used up a lot of time off from work so I don't have enough in my bank to be able to keep those vacation days. I knew this was a possibility back in Dec so as our Dec 29 PIF date approached, I had no choice but to give it up.
Since it was booked onboard I didn't want to lose the OBB perks so I had our TA move it to late June. That sailing costs more than double the one we originally planned for March so I don't know if we'll do it but I'm glad I didn't lose any money. Once we reach the PIF date, I get trip insurance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!