12 days in WDW, where we ate...part 6

Erikarate

married her prince
Recap places and players:
Me, DH, DD 8, DS 6
4 days at AKL Concierge, 8 days at BWV (1 BR unit)

Rating Scale:
10- everything perfect...food, service, atmosphere (very rare)
9- excellent, almost perfect
7-8- very good, overall great experience
5-6- mediocre, might not return
3-4- bad, not returning
1-2- should close this place down!!!

Did not make it for Animal Kindom early opening after a late night at MK. Rode Dinosaur, P. Whirl and saw F. of the Lion King (my favorite). Got a snack at the coffee counter at Tusker...

7/18/03 - Lunch/Snack, Kusafiri Coffee Shop
The kids had their daily dose of PBJ on rainbow bread (sorry...not from Tusker, we brought it). We pack a portable cooler with half frozen waters, sandwiches and snacks each day...could not do this without our fridge at BWV.

DH got us a bunch of treats from the bakery part of Tusker (off to the right...they also have an outside pick-up window) called Kusafiri Coffee Shop. We had plain and chocolate covered rice crispie treats and cheese cake muffins. DH and I also had a capuccino. YUM!

The atmosphere at Tusker is safari-themed...you can really imagine you are about to imbark on an exciting journey...

Overall rating: 8, nice atmoshere, good coffee and treats, always a favorite...

Decided on an evening at Downtown. Wolfgang Puck Cafe is probably our favorite place there...

7/18/03 - dinner, Wolfgang Puck Cafe

We had called ahead earlier that day to get a PS which you can do up to 6:30pm and after 9:00 pm. We have waited in the past up to 40 minutes for a table, so we were happy to take advantage of this. We were seated right away...

I immediately noticed that the menu was different, I mean TOTALLY different. There were a fraction of the usual choices. When I commented on this to our server, she seemed only mildly sympathetic...I don't think she understands that when you look forward to a particular dish for MONTHS and it is no longer on the menu it's a big bummer. She said the menu is temporary however, until a new one with more items comes out.

Normally I get the TRIO of spring rolls which had veggie, chicken, and shrimp with different sauces, but they only had veggie with the plum sauce. Okay, at least I had one out of three. This is a huge portion and every time I come here I eat them all and then are too full for my entree!!! I never learn...DH had an order as well, but he can handle it better. I tried not to eat too much of the yummy foccacia and flatbread they bring out before the meal.

For entrees, I had the Chinois Chicken Salad, which is a favorite of mine. It has napa and red cabbage, carrots, scallions, crispy noodles, grilled chicken, in a spicy dressing. DH had the Ribeye with herb butter and herbed seasoned french fries. The kids both had chicken fingers and fries. The fries were real good with lots of garlic on them.

Everything was good, but this was not our best experience at WPC. Hopefully the new menu will offer more variety and will hold new favorites.

Overall rating: 7 1/2, still very good and we will be back...

The next day we made it to MGM early opening. The crowds had been so bad that we knew if we wanted to get the most out of the parks we had to do it. Rode RR and ToT...so fun...had breakfast at ABC Commiss...

7/19/03 - breakfast, ABC Commissary
DH and I have eaten here for breakfast before and find it very good. We had the scrambled egg breakfast which comes with bacon or sausage, hash browns, and a biscuit. We also ordered a coffee. DH wanted a danish, but they were sold out. The breakfast was hot and tastey.

Overall rating: 7 1/2, very good for counter service

The biggest disappointment of the trip was that our LUAU WAS CANCELLED!!! We had ressies for the 5:15 pm show. It was pouring rain and lighting so they cancelled, and sure enough 10 MINUTES LATER it stopped raining and was sunny!!! Well, once it was cancelled, of course everyone ran upstairs to 'Ohana. We decided not to fight the crowd and instead when to Kona...

7/19/03 - dinner, Kona Cafe
This place was a pleasant surprise and helped to alleviate some of our disappointment about the Luau. Our waitress was lovely, and had at one time been a dancer in the Luau show. I was surprised that this restaurant wasn't full, even with the spill-over from the cancelled show.

We started with an order of sticky wings and seafood potstickers. Wow...the potstickers were incredible...delicate flavors - the wings very good...tasted similar to the ones at 'Ohana.

For my entree, I had the teriyaki beef which came with mashed potatoes and mixed veggies and grilled pineapple. Very good. DH's dish was incredible however. He had the Wasabi Tuna which was cooked rare and served with rice and veggies. WOW. He said it was the best tuna he's ever had. DD had chicken soup and grilled cheese, DS had Mickey Pasta.

Somehow we managed to squeeze in dessert. The kids shared a "kiddie kone" which consisted of a giant waffle cone "glued" with chocolate to stand upright on the plate, with ice cream and candies in it, surrounded by cotton candy (yes, they were bouncing off the walls for two hours afterward!!). DH had Kona Tiramasu and I had the apple brown betty.

Prices here are more reasonable then some of the other "high end" places we eat such as Calif. Grill etc.

Overall rating: 9, excellent food and service. Will come back for sure.

Final installment soon...

Thanks for all the great reviews!
I have a question about your beef terryaki. Could you get sticky rice with it, and were there friend onions on it.
I was so disappointed when they changed the spinach to beans last year, that Im hoping the rice and onions are still an option.
Sounds like a totally different meal than it was a year ago. :(

When I write these reviews, I often use the menus from www.wdwig.com as a resource. I found that the menu has changed slightly since it was updated on the website in Dec. 2002.

The beef did not come with the onions or sticky rice. I don't know if you can get this...sorry.

Awww, Ive been dying for this since last summer!
Well, thanks for the heads up. At least Im prepared. ;)

Thanks for the reviews. Interesting about Wolfgang Puck Cafe. I used to eat there almost every weekend and the menu was *always* the same. I'm looking forward to see the changes, because we were thinking of skipping it this trip...maybe now we won't!

Thanks for sharing ~ I'm luving your reviews!!!!

Glad you liked Kona. It's one of the VERY few places we've not tried. Just reminds Mrs. U too much of the Coral Isle Cafe. But sure sounds likethe food and service are top notch--.

Uncleromulus-

It's nice to be able to recommend a restaurant to YOU for a change...:p

Usually I find we are in agreement on places, except for Whispering Canyon.

I think that you would like Kona, though it is a relaxed atmosphere and therefore louder than say Jiko or Artist Point. I would say it is equally loud as California Grill. For the quality of food, I found the prices very reasonable...

OH I ALMOST FORGOT!!!!

I HAD THE FAMOUS LAPU LAPU!!!

It is a rum drink that comes in a whole pineapple. It was awesome...but beware, it'll knock you out...good thing I ate alot that night :cool:

Originally posted by Erikarate
OH I ALMOST FORGOT!!!!

I HAD THE FAMOUS LAPU LAPU!!!

It is a rum drink that comes in a whole pineapple. It was awesome...but beware, it'll knock you out...good thing I ate alot that night :cool:

Ohhh, thank you for the info! Im dying to try one. Im thinking maybe on my birthday in Dec, but if its that good, I may have to go for it in August. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter