$15 Minimum Wage by 2021!

Ok, gotcha. I was looking at it more from the "guy at the top keeps most of the money" side. I agree that the amount of money pro sports pulls in is insane, but people and advertisers are still willing to pay it.

well, it's all about how much money they create - and sports is big business ... and how small the talent pool is

And that really does go for CEOs and executives as well ... yes every employee is worth it, but it is much easier to replace a frontline CM than it is Iger

well, not that is not the only way to change it - if society looked down on companies where the CEO was being compensated to too high of a degree and didn't support those companies then the boards wouldn't want to compensate them so much and investors and analysts would look negatively on companies that compensated their CEOs too much ... but that takes full transparency and people willing to act differently based on executive compensation
Yeah, good luck with that whole societal change thing. I don't doubt it may come along someday, but there is still a lot working against it.

Every once in a while the media gets people stirred up about CEO compensation for Big Oil or Big Pharma or Big "Insert Villian of the Week Here." They back off when a few independently-thinking people point out what Big Media CEOs make. Disney, Comcast, and Time Warner are all right there at or near the top.

The goal should be to lift everyone which is done with improving the economy. Not sure why it matters how much the top makes compared to the bottom. The economy is not a zero sum game. If CEO X makes more next year than this, that money doesn't come from janitor Y's pocket. If we want to punish successful people in the end nobody will be, the incentive to work extra long hours or pursue extra degrees or whatever will not exist.

I'm not sure someone is talking punitive measures here...

Do you really think no one would be a CEO if they could only make $10 million, for example? Like, Iger would have said as a child, "only $10 million?! No thanks, I'd rather make $20k running Dumbo..."

The reason it matters, is because the more discontent that festers at the bottom, the more we are all at risk for drastic measures that are usually very negative. See worker strikes. If the bottom becomes too restless, they truly have the power to bring the whole thing to a grinding halt. See civil war/revolutions across the world. It's a real threat. Also, there's the threat of "over correction". People starving for change start putting in people who take extreme positions. The extreme positions usually take things too far. See again revolutions/civil wars across the globe.

I'm not saying if we don't change right this minute we are going to be sucked into a large scale riot. But I am saying, if we keep the status quo, we are marching in that direction......I've pointed out the rumblings.

What if you could see the effects of your actions? Stock upticks 10%, you gain 10% (very simple example) under this method. It gives you more incentive than just "keep the place open"...Again, just a thought.

I have no objection to a company giving that incentive. I am just not in favor of requiring a company to do it via a govt edict.

They are bumping up their salary because they are being FORCED to by the workers, not because Disney is doing well and is just passing on some of the wealth.

i didn't know the workers had that kind of power. Why don't they just FORCE Disney to give them a "livable wage"?

I'm not saying if we don't change right this minute we are going to be sucked into a large scale riot. But I am saying, if we keep the status quo, we are marching in that direction......I've pointed out the rumblings.

What rumblings? This is more doom and gloom hyperbole, and somehow inserted in a thread about Disney raising their starting wage to 15$ an hour.

What rumblings? This is more doom and gloom hyperbole, and somehow inserted in a thread about Disney raising their starting wage to 15$ an hour.

You are right, everyone seems completely happy.....

There certainly has not been a loud cry recently for "livable wage" and all that. We just made it up here on this board...Teacher's didn't strike recently or anything....Definitely hyperbole.....And I know how you feel about statistics, so I won't bring in any data. The current situation is definitely fine and no one else will complain....No reason to search for solutions folks. It will all be just fine.

There certainly has not been a loud cry recently for "livable wage" and all that.

I've see some people demanding a "livable wage" and that seems to be the new buzz phrase but over on the thread about a "livable wage" no one seems to have defined it let alone come up with solutions on how to implement it.

I have no issues with statistics but they seemed to be cherry picked by whatever side is presenting the argument to bolster their agenda.

Yesterday on the news blurb on the radio they said that unemployment is low and middle class income were at record highs. I didn't hear anything about pitchforks and torches over "livable wages". Can we at least wait for some signs of doom and gloom before demanding govt. take drastic actions?

I've see some people demanding a "livable wage" and that seems to be the new buzz phrase but over on the thread about a "livable wage" no one seems to have defined it let alone come up with solutions on how to implement it.

Wouldn't you call that a rumbling? Or at least an admission that there is growing friction in the market? Or do you think it's just a fad and it will quell itself?

I'm glad Disney is doing this at WDW and Disneyland, and hopefully we'll see improvements in the other surrounding area businesses as well.

For the people who talk about "just get more skills, a higher education, etc." Do you have ANY idea what the current situation is like with colleges and how many Americans are stuck with insane amounts of student loan debt AND can only find lower paying jobs because there isn't enough of jobs in the field they got a degree for? A lot changes in the 4-6 years it takes to get a degree.

Factually, the minimum wage now is lower than it was in the 1960's (accounting for inflation). Income inequality is at an all time high.

Instead of the average American being united against the corporations doing everything for sheer profits for their rich investors, we have a group of people who instead are told to blame it on the little guy, the poor person who makes minimum wage as not doing their fair share to improve themselves and that if they just pick themselves up by their bootstraps they can do better, get a raise (haha), get a better education (with no way to pay for it) and find higher earning jobs, but with NO facts or proof to back up these reactions.

I'm glad Disney is doing this at WDW and Disneyland, and hopefully we'll see improvements in the other surrounding area businesses as well.

For the people who talk about "just get more skills, a higher education, etc." Do you have ANY idea what the current situation is like with colleges and how many Americans are stuck with insane amounts of student loan debt AND can only find lower paying jobs because there isn't enough of jobs in the field they got a degree for? A lot changes in the 4-6 years it takes to get a degree.

Factually, the minimum wage now is lower than it was in the 1960's (accounting for inflation). Income inequality is at an all time high.

Instead of the average American being united against the corporations doing everything for sheer profits for their rich investors, we have a group of people who instead are told to blame it on the little guy, the poor person who makes minimum wage as not doing their fair share to improve themselves and that if they just pick themselves up by their bootstraps they can do better, get a raise (haha), get a better education (with no way to pay for it) and find higher earning jobs, but with NO facts or proof to back up these reactions.

Also often what follows is "I worked X amount of hours and in the summers to pay my tuition kids today can do that too" (Or they had a parent/family situation where they could afford tuition)...The idea that this feasible for today's college students is just not true. Many of them are working all the time and over the summers and they still have to take out boatloads of loans to pay for their degrees. They have parents who can't help them because their parents are still paying off their own student loans...it's why the biggest things you see in the higher ed realm right now are strategies to keep the cost lower (e.g. NYS you can go to any SUNY at free or very low tuition if you commit to living in the state for a number of years afterward) and colleges trying to freeze tuition increases, incentivize 4-year completion or even completing in less than 4 years, etc...

Do you have ANY idea what the current situation is like with colleges and how many Americans are stuck with insane amounts of student loan debt AND can only find lower paying jobs because there isn't enough of jobs in the field they got a degree for?

That is why choosing a major is so important. I tell my nieces and kids when looking for a major don't just pick something you like make sure it is in demand and you can make a decent living do it. Also college is not the only way to "get more skills".

Instead of the average American being united against the corporations doing everything for sheer profits for their rich investors

Good gracious.

Also often what follows is "I worked X amount of hours and in the summers to pay my tuition kids today can do that too" (Or they had a parent/family situation where they could afford tuition)...The idea that this feasible for today's college students is just not true.

If this attitude keeps being reinforced then it probably won't be feasible. When you think something is impossible you have taken the most important step in making it so.

If this attitude keeps being reinforced then it probably won't be feasible. When you think something is impossible you have taken the most important step in making it so.

What is your estimate on the average cost of a year of tuition, housing, books, and living expenses? Mind you this varies by area of the country and type of institution.

What is your estimate on the average cost of a year of tuition, housing, books, and living expenses? Mind you this varies by area of the country and type of institution.

but that is also not the only way to acquire new skills - trade schools or other specialty training programs, apprentice programs, etc. that don't require housing and other living expenses

i think that is one thing that can change is this thought that you have to go to a 4 year university no matter - and that that message is being pushed down to kids in school is not a positive one in my mind

i think that is one thing that can change is this thought that you have to go to a 4 year university no matter - and that that message is being pushed down to kids in school is not a positive one in my mind

Exactly. The college bubble burst has either started or is coming. The burden of student loans with a perception of "having" to go a 4 year university is a potential recipe for long term disappointment to many students. As a 4-year degree continues to get diluted in a resource pool, I think there is a real chance of fresh graduates carrying debt for decades. I know in my industry, I have seen a MBA has gone from nice to have to required - talk about more financial burden.

Just off the cuff and searching colleges nearby:

If I went to Georgia Tech again(and this time hopefully I am smart enough not to pick Science as a major). I can expect to pay 14,000$ for School, fees and Tuition. With meals and board they estimate 28000$. I think I could do better than that but that is their estimate. I also am I assuming I don't have the hope scholarship. A smaller school in the area is around 6000$ for Tuition and fees/books.

As the PP pointed out College is not my only avenue to self improvement. I could probably go to a tech school for far cheaper. The point is I have options to do better, I can either sit around and not try because I think it is impossible because there is some cosmic force holding me back, or I can get out there and do it.

the poor person who makes minimum wage as not doing their fair share to improve themselves and that if they just pick themselves up by their bootstraps they can do better, get a raise (haha), get a better education (with no way to pay for it) and find higher earning jobs, but with NO facts or proof to back up these reactions.

I once worked with someone who boasted about deliberately making himself financially poor so that the local taxpayers would pay for his education. I didn't have the mind/heart to ask if that means I can garnish a portion of his wages in the future since I helped fund him/her.

Just off the cuff and searching colleges nearby:

If I went to Georgia Tech again(and this time hopefully I am smart enough not to pick Science as a major). I can expect to pay 14,000$ for School, fees and Tuition. With meals and board they estimate 28000$. I think I could do better than that but that is their estimate. I also am I assuming I don't have the hope scholarship. A smaller school in the area is around 6000$ for Tuition and fees/books.

As the PP pointed out College is not my only avenue to self improvement. I could probably go to a tech school for far cheaper. The point is I have options to do better, I can either sit around and not try because I think it is impossible because there is some cosmic force holding me back, or I can get out there and do it.

Hello, fellow Yellow Jacket! I'm an ME, but that didn't help much when I graduated in '09 because so many companies just weren't hiring (or canceled their new hires, like what happened to a friend of mine). It still took me four years to find a job that used my degree.

Hello, fellow Yellow Jacket! I'm an ME, but that didn't help much when I graduated in '09 because so many companies just weren't hiring (or canceled their new hires, like what happened to a friend of mine). It still took me four years to find a job that used my degree.

I was a lab rat for two years until I realized that people would pay me to work on stuff that, up to that point, I viewed as a hobby(IT). Haven't really used the science degree again... well except for useless trivia.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter