1st day routine on oasis

iambrink

DIS Veteran
Having been on 8 Disney cruises, we have our 1st day down to a science, so it's been quite a while since I've had to give thought to the 1st day. On Disney, we always head straight to the pool with the kids because we don't need to explore. We would pack the necessities in a carry on, grab some food and sit by the pool. Going on the Oasis next month, we would obviously want to explore the ship, but what do i need to consider? We are staying in a suite, so will we get access to our cabin early? Should we go straight to the coastal kitchen and check that out? is there anything i need to sign up for? do i need to sign the kids up for their club or do i do that ahead of time? will the pools be as crazy as Disney pools? I know, just relax...but I'm such a planner, I like to be prepared! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

OK, so you've got the entire Day 1 to explore, so let's assume that you will be doing that at some non-muster drill point in the day.

I haven't been in a suite yet, but I'd say that your DCL strategy would work fine here. If being in the suite means you are one of the first aboard, by all means go to WindJammer and grab some food on your way to poolside. Or you can go to Park cafe, which is likely to be less crowded.

Signing up... well you can sign your FlowRider/Zip Line/Ice Rink/Rock Wall waivers online, so no worries there. I guess you have concierge? So you can schedule specialty dining whenever. Not sure if you have special seating for you at shows, but I think the Cruise Planner will allow you to do that.

Kids club will be open in the afternoon/evening for sign ups. Kids can go and see if they like it, and try it out in the evening if they are so inclined. That would give you plenty of time to explore the ship.

Pools, in my experience, are nowhere near as crazy as on DCL. That doesn't necessarily mean you can swim laps in them, mind you, but you can at least move around without accidentally hitting someone.

Going on the Oasis next month, we would obviously want to explore the ship, but what do i need to consider? We are staying in a suite, so will we get access to our cabin early? Should we go straight to the coastal kitchen and check that out?
We've been on the Oasis in a suite a couple of times. You won't get early access to your cabin but the wait isn't that bad. We aim to get to the port about noon and once on board we head directly for Coastal Kitchen for lunch. Usually by the time we are done eating the rooms are available.

After that (your luggage won't be there yet) its time to go explore the ship from top to bottom. Just pack some patience for the elevators as everybody else gets on board.

Thanks everyone. Glad to know we won't have immediate access to the cabin because on Disney concierge we always did...maybe that was coincidence! Can't wait to give RCCL a try! The price was half the price before I upgraded to the suite, but still less than what we have paid for Disney...

We found that eating in Coastal Kitchen was a real benefit on suite class on the Oasis. We ate there almost every meal.

We found that eating in Coastal Kitchen was a real benefit on suite class on the Oasis. We ate there almost every meal.
DH hates crowds, so i am looking forward to making use of the coastal kitchen! I have read many great reviews for the coastal kitchen...

Our cabin became available shortly before 1pm on Oasis, oceanview room, not a suite. We boarded around 11:30am, made our way to Windjammer, and by the time we were finishing up eating, the announcement was made that cabins were ready. As we were heading to our cabin, our luggage was already in the hallway. So timing worked out well.

I agree with PP that we didn't find the pool or even the buffet to be that crazy on day 1.

Having been on 8 Disney cruises, we have our 1st day down to a science, so it's been quite a while since I've had to give thought to the 1st day. On Disney, we always head straight to the pool with the kids because we don't need to explore. We would pack the necessities in a carry on, grab some food and sit by the pool. Going on the Oasis next month, we would obviously want to explore the ship, but what do i need to consider? We are staying in a suite, so will we get access to our cabin early? Should we go straight to the coastal kitchen and check that out? is there anything i need to sign up for? do i need to sign the kids up for their club or do i do that ahead of time? will the pools be as crazy as Disney pools? I know, just relax...but I'm such a planner, I like to be prepared! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Whether or not you will have early access to your stateroom depends on the class of suite you booked. If you are in a Star Class suite, you will have early access and a Royal Genie. If you are in a Sky Class or Sea Class, then no, you won't have earlier access.

Whether or not you will have early access to your stateroom depends on the class of suite you booked. If you are in a Star Class suite, you will have early access and a Royal Genie. If you are in a Sky Class or Sea Class, then no, you won't have earlier access.

OK thanks. We are in a grand suite, so no Royal Genie!

The first stop for us is always the trellis bar, and then the park cafe to grab lunch. They have a great salad bar and sandwich options

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!