1st Disney Cruise - Any advice or tips?

iHEARTflorida

DIS Veteran
Hi,

I’m doing my 1st Disney Cruise on Monday, 4 nights Bahamas on the Dream with my mum.

Any advice for first time cruiser?

Any must dos?

We are both of legal drinking age, the cruise was booked very last minute. I’ve heard Palo for brunch is great but haven’t been able to get a reservation.

FYI - I love meeting characters and we both love food

Very much looking forward to Castaway Cay

Many thanks

Have a great first cruise. There are lots of first time cruiser threads about.
As for your specific concern.
Often you can try booking Palo once you get on board the ship. Check the personal navigator that they hand you when you check in for times and locations.

Like most of life...just try to slow down and be present. Don't think you need to plan everything ahead of time or do everything, because that is an impossible goal. Once you step on that ship, you really don't need to worry about anything else, since it is all taken care of for you. If you slow down, the magic happens. The memories of this trip will last forever. Have fun!!!

My sincere advice is to stay away from all the "must do" lists and just enjoy yourselves. The online planning sites get way out of hand and you'll run yourself ragged and be miserable if you try to do it all. They will hand you a Navigator at the port - it will list all of the day's activities by time (you can also access it on the Disney Cruise app - if you want it you do have to install it before you board). Just enjoy yourselves and only go to what really interests you. Palo brunch is nice if you can get a reservation when you board, but honestly it's not as amazing as many people say it is - so if you don't get it, don't stress about it.

Must do?

The only one is know that you CANNOT do it all, and you will make yourself miserable and exhausted trying.

This ^^.

Look at the activities available on similar itineraries and identify some things you'd really like to do. Wing it for the rest.

For a first time on a Disney Cruise, just relax and enjoy the great service, food, and entertainment the ship has to offer. Just enjoy and soak it all up. On your next cruise you'll understand what to plan for. Don't over pack, it's only 4 days, and the Queen probably won't be on the cruise. Lots of princesses though !!!!

The good news is you can probably still get a Palo reservation once you get on board. Also, unlike a lot of cruise lines these days, you don't have to make a reservation for the shows you want to watch.

I think there aren't many things you miss out on by booking last minute. You may have a later time you can get onto the boat at first arrival and some of the tasting (wine, whiskey, beer, etc) are probably full. You can still check it out availability even once you're on board. The good thing is on a 4 night trip, there's still more to do than you can get done. Missing a few of the things that get booked isn't that big of a deal.

Don't think you "Have" to get off the boat in Nassau. A lot of people skip it and just enjoy the extra day on the ship.

Have a great trip!

Book a future cruise or placeholder while onboard. You have years to back out if you change your mind and it's 100% refundable if it's not concierge and requested prior to deadline. If seen so many people including my relatives who took their first cruise, enjoyed it so much, then months later book another and miss out on the onboard booking benefits. Just sayin

If you are not afraid of a water slide you MUST try Aquaduck. Like others said there will be so much to do, you can't do everything so just relax and do what you want. The Navigator sheets list all daily activities. The DCL mobile app has a free texting feature you can use to text other folks in your party so its helpful in case you are doing separate activities on the ship. Towards the end you will come to the realization that you want to go on another cruise so book a placeholder for a future cruise, its only $250 and is refundable and as a bonus with that placeholder you get 10% next cruise.

Enjoy!

Be sure to take your camera to record your memories. Cast members are glad to take photos of you folks, too. As mentioned above, don't overplan/think your trip...let the magic come to you. Some of our best memories are unplanned and, often, unexpected. You'll have a great time!

Here are some tips for new cruisers.

Attachments

• Tips for disney cruisers.pdf
    257.5 KB · Views: 28
Get some simple pins you don't want, and trade up at the Officer's Pin Trading. I'm not a collector in any big way, but I've always enjoyed seeing what's there and trading.

If you have time, shop Etsy to get a character magnet to decorate your stateroom door. Those are festive and they make recognizing your stateroom a cinch.

Get some simple pins you don't want, and trade up at the Officer's Pin Trading. I'm not a collector in any big way, but I've always enjoyed seeing what's there and trading.

If you have time, shop Etsy to get a character magnet to decorate your stateroom door. Those are festive and they make recognizing your stateroom a cinch.

Just make sure you actually do know your stateroom number though and don't just depend on a magnet. Those have been known to sprout legs before and migrate to other doors or disappear all together.

On embarkation day, if you can score a reservation for Palo Brunch, you will not regret it (it's 30$/pp but 100% worth it).

If you chose to book Palo for dinner, do not miss the Chocolate Soufflé!

If you have more budget, you can also book Remy (it's my favorite but it's a bit expensive).

Take your sea sickness meds BEFORE the ship leaves because if you start feeling sea sick, it feels like forever until the meds start working. The first evening is the worst.

Try the Tomato-Brie-Bacon panini from the sandwich stand near the pool.

If you are departing from Port Canaveral and do not care too much for the Sailaway Party, go to the aft of the ship... Once you get passed the last beach, you have strong chances to see dolphins in the wild. Every single time we departed from PC, we saw them in the area. :)

Do not miss the Quiet Cove on the ship and Serenity Bay on Castaway Cay (and Serenity Bay barbecue!) ...

You are sailing during hurricane season. Know that the captain can change your itinerary at the last minute for your safety. You can expect refund for excursions and port fees but that's all you are going to get (it's in your contract). Do not expect any compensation.

If you cry during the "goodbye" show on the last night of the cruise and/or as you disembark, know that you are not the only one to cry. ;)

And...

Prepare to get hooked to cruising.

Happy cruising!

Last edited:
The ONLY must do i woukd say is book a placeholder for another cruise! It is at a discount, you can cancel and get your money back! That and enjoy! I didnt do a zillion things on my first cruise. I say stalk characters and have fun!!!!

If you are departing from Port Canaveral and do not care too much for the Sailaway Party, go to the aft of the ship... Once you get passed the last beach, you have strong chances to see dolphins in the wild. Every single time we departed from PC, we saw them in the area. :)

We actually saw some once while the ship was still docked at PC. They were swimming around it right by the dock.

ive been on several cruises and have never noticed dolphins! how cool! great tip!! we will go aft for sure! thank you pluto:

ive been on several cruises and have never noticed dolphins! how cool! great tip!! we will go aft for sure! thank you pluto:

Aft, on the starboard side. Good luck. I hope you get to spot them. What we usually do is start watching behind the ship as soon as the ship starts moving and we stay there for at least 5 minutes after we are officially "at sea". Sometimes, we spot them from a certain distance away but it's always nice to see them.

As the end of the beach there's a "line" of rocks. We usually spot them at the tip of that rock formation or a little bit further.

wonderful, yet one more thing to be excited about! we've spotted a lot over the years, turtles, flying fish (which i didn't think existed til we saw them) jelly fish, stingrays... here's hoping i can add dolphins to the list!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter