1st Trip Home to BWV---Report

Blue&Gold

Mouseketeer
I will now begin preaching to the choir... Thanks to all who offer up opinions and advice on these boards, it really is a remarkable resource.

We just completed a 6 night stay at BWV. My family of 4, plus MIL& FIL, plus BIL and his family. Total 10 folks... First 2 nights in a Grand Villa, then splitting into 3 1BRs. (We made the reservations right after we closed on our resale in March). Yes, a whopper point-wise, but we got a loaded resale contract and figured that this was why we bought DVC in the first place. The GV is an experience. Kids weren't bouncing off the walls, the balcony was perfect and we didn't notice the BW sounds at all---and we were right above the watergun race. The sounds are part of the attraction, honestly.

Moving to the 1BRs couldn't have been easier. On Sunday morning the CM on duty at 0830 (Brian) checked us into all three rooms, 2 adjoining and 1 two doors down the hall. 2 were clean and we executed an easy move to the new rooms. Room 3 was ready when we returned from AK later that afternoon.

Overall, the staff was friendly and helpful. Nothing but positives.

We hit all 4 parks, plus MK a second time. A little surprised by the crowds---didn't expect to see that many folks before the Memorial Day weekend. Disney is advertising heavily and it seems to be paying off. Crowds weren't unmanageable if you were smart about fastpass-ing. We hit Soarin' at Epcot and I think it's a big plus. (I'm a Naval Aviator and would imagine I'm harder to impress than the average bear on a flight simulator and Soarin was really well done. I found myself unconsciously reaching for the "controls." My wife and I caught the orange grove smell and remarked later that is the touch that sets Disney apart from other entertainment.) I have to report, though, that on the headliner attractions---Space Mountain, Test Track and a few others---there were significant slowdowns. I'd say we batted around .500 for finishing a ride without it being interrupted.

Lots of Magical Express traffic at MCO and at the hotels... We didn't use ME and doubt we will on our next trip in October. We rented a full size car from Nat'l and paid just a little over $120 for the week. I liked having the option to drive, and we expect to hit Sea World next time. From the business perspective, ME must be a huge manpower cost for Disney. Saw lots of bell-people working their knickers off.

We had dinner twice at the Brew Pub on the BW---wish they had a DVC or AP discount! Good portions and service. Not so impressed by Spoodles, honestly. Waitress argued with me over the use of the DDE---confused it with some pre-paid plan or some such animal. Appetizers were small for their price. Not an unpleasant meal, but we'll spend more time at the Brew Pub or walk over to eat inside Epcot.

Absolutely loved the acts on the BW. Set a very friendly and positive "feel."

Kids and adults all loved the Keister Coaster... We logged an hour or more in the pool each day. I was impressed by the professional manner in which the lifeguards carried out their duties. They had a soft touch with the kids, were polite to the adults, and were attentive to their assignments.

We loaded the whole lot onto one of the pontoon boats for "Illuminations" on the second night---expertly skippered by "Captain Ron." Spectacular way to view the show, and a nice tour of the Epcot/MGM waterways beforehand.

I'm leaving a zillion details out. But felt that since we have taken away so much from these boards that we needed to report back! A great experience, learned lots of small lessons for our next trip (never seemed to ask for our AP or DVC discount, for instance) and we've already recalibrated our trip counter on the DVC member site! Best wishes to all, enjoy the summer.

Thanks for the great report. Looking forward to our first trip home in a month. Sounds like it was really relaxing for you and your family.

I loved reading your report, even if it made me homesick. We have liked Spoodles food in the past, but have always felt that the servers were less than friendly and helpful. Haven't eaten at Big River Grille for a while, so we'll have to do that when we are there in Oct. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for such a great first trip home report :sunny: I am sure my pilot DH will love Soarin' in July when we go. What was it like to have all that GV space to begin with :earseek: :goodvibes ??

Spirit---The GV is great for large groups, but we were just as happy once we split into the 1 BRs. I am worried though, that by spending our first night in the GV we set the "expectations" bar too high! After we moved, our 5 yr old son kept asking "when are we going back to the big hotel room?" Our 1BRs were overlooking the Swan and Dolphin and the new croquet lawn. Very relaxing, and we still got to hear the FREINDSHIPs horns as they docked at the S&D.

The next two times we go after our July anniversary trip will be in a GV!!! I hope I won't be too spoiled to ever stay in a 1 or 2br after that :teeth: :sunny: Even more worrisome, my two teens may revolt and only want GV's :earseek: pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter