XII. September 2017
XIII. October 2017
XIV. Wine and Dine Half Marathon
XV. November 2017
XVI. December 2017
XVII. Walt Disney World Marathon

Last edited:
Who Am I?

I have no idea where you may start reading my silly passages about my training, runs, or anything Disney related that I may do. I just want to provide a little information about myself. First, I am a huge Disney fan, which I will go into detail in the Why Disney? section. Second, I have recently decided to change my lifestyle to a more healthy lifestyle, which I will go into detail in the Body Transformation section. This section is basically to describe who I am outside of Disney and Running.

Currently, I live in Oklahoma and work for an oil and gas company in their tax department. I grew up in Kansas City and I find myself traveling back to KC and Houston quite a bit for friends and family. I went to the University of Kansas and Lawrence, KS may be my favorite place in the world next to anything Disney related.

Outside of Disney, I am a big movie and entertainment fan. I am a fan of a ton of random movie franchises and movies in general. I am also big fan of a ton of television shows. However, now that my lifestyle is more active, I find it harder for me to find the time to watch all of the movies and TV shows that I desire. Also, I am a huge sports fan. I am a big fan of the Kansas Jayhawks (especially their Men's basketball team), Kansas City Royals, Kansas City Chiefs, Oklahoma City Thunder, and Sporting KC.

Anyway, I know this doesn't really sum me up at all. But it gives a general background of where I am from and what I like outside of Disney and Running.

I hope you enjoy my training activities for RunDisney events!

- Matt

Last edited:
Why Disney?

The question that is as old as time. Everyone always asks me why I am such a Disney fan. I can never really give a good answer. I mean like most of us on here, we all grew up with Disney. I was just obsessed with the movies and the parks growing up and was fortunate enough to be able to go to Disney World quite often. I am not sure what I like more: the parks or the movies. Overall, I love the rich history of the Walt Disney Company from when Walt struggled creating Mickey Mouse to the animated classics to the parks to where the company is at today with acquiring Pixar, LucasFilm, and Marvel.

At the moment, I have been to Walt Disney World 38 times and Disneyland 7 times. This is coming from a dude that lives in the Midwest. Disney totally came before running. I got involved with RunDisney because of friends. A group of friends briefly mentioned doing the Star Wars Half Marathon - The Light Side for the 2016 year. At the time, I was not a runner at all. But I wanted to bring more of my friends into the Disney culture that I cherish. So it ended up being a group of us doing the Star Wars Half Marathon - The Light Side in 2016, I would admit I had a terrible time. Matter of fact, my time was 3:26:36, which is a 15:46 pace, ouch!!!! However, I had still had so much fun running the race. I was sold to try another RunDisney event, this time on the other side of the coast at Walt Disney World for the Star Wars Half Marathon - The Dark Side. Not only do I want to run the half, but do the The Dark Side Challenge with both the 10K and the Half Marathon. This thread will go through the training that I did for this race that I cannot wait for. Also, I have signed up for the Wine & Dine Two Course Challenge in November. And finally, the Walt Disney World Marathon in January 2018 as my grand finale.

I hope you enjoy reading up on my training throughout the 2017 calendar year for all of my RunDisney events.

First, some fun Disney facts about me

Favorite Disney Character: Darkwing Duck (I really hope to meet this Disney character again someday in the parks maybe I will meet him again during one of these RunDisney events!)

Favorite Pixar Character: Buzz Lightyear

Favorite Disney Villain: Gaston (I know he is so vein, but I think he is so vein that it is hilarious)

Favorite Star Wars Character: Boba Fett

Favorite Disney Animated Classic: The Lion King

Favorite Pixar Movie: Toy Story

Star Wars Movie Rank: The Empire Strikes Back, A New Hope, Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens, Rogue One, Revenge of the Sith, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones

Favorite Disney Park: Epcot

Favorite Disney Resort: Disney's Boardwalk

Favorite Disney Attraction: Expedition Everest

Favorite Month To Visit Disney World: October

Favorite Disney Song: A Whole New World

Body Transformation - Previous Lifestyle

In November of 2016, I turned the great age of 30 and entering that age where I probably should put my head on my shoulders, right? In terms of a career and stability, things have been great. However, I had little to no focus on my health. By health, my diet and working out habits. Sure this is something that every person struggles with. Almost everyone tries to go on diets or will find themselves going on a 3 day streak in the gym. My problem is that I had not a care about what I was putting into my body or keeping my body in shape.

My diet consisted of basically fast food and pizzas. I thought I was eating good by eating pastas instead of pizzas, right? I am not joking. I would probably have between 8-10 Diet Cokes a day. I would go out and drink with friends. No I never drank on my own, so don't worry about that. However, I was easily persuaded to go out for a night of drinking.

Working out, very rarely happened. Sure, I would go to the gym like once every month or so. But nothing was always discouraged because I was way out of shape and never could get results.

In high school was fairly active, more then the average student for sure. In college, I would work out 2-3 times a week. However, once graduating college the workout schedule virtually stopped. Year-by-year, this is my guess on how much I weighed:

2005 - 18 - 175
2006 - 19 - 180
2007 - 20 - 185
2008 - 21 - 195
2009 - 22 - 200
2010 - 23 - 205
2011 - 24 - 210
2012 - 25 - 215
2013 - 26 - 220
2014 - 27 - 225
2015 - 28 - 230
2016 - 29 - 230
2017 - 30 - Time For A Change

On December 5th, 2016, this was somehow a pivotal moment when I knew it was time for a change. Why, you may ask? Mainly, I knew I was getting older and the social party scene wasn't the same anymore. Most of my friends were getting married or having kids. Then you have me, single and 30. Outside of work, I have all the time in the world. I don't have any random responsibilities like kids or anything, so I felt I had the ability to make a change. The running, other exercises, and diet will show how I got from overweight body to an in shape body. Totally signing up for a second RunDisney event helped with the motivation.

Body Transformation - Running

Before getting to my results, I am going to cover the three aspects that have contributed to my body transformation, which are running, other exercises, and diet.

The first of the golden triangle aspects of my body transformation is attributed to running. I would have to say that my interest in body transformation came from running and almost from RunDisney. As I mentioned in an earlier passage, my first half marathon was a RunDisney event in the 2016 Star Wars Half Marathon - The Light Side. I essentially only did this because I had friends that were interested in doing it and going to Disneyland, which is obviously one of my favorite places because I am absolutely obsessed with Disney. However, I was in no means in the running shape. My half marathon time was 3:26:36, which comes out to being a 15:44 pace. I basically should have been swept up off the streets and should not have been able to complete the half marathon. Luckily, I had a lot of fun in doing this run. This led me to wanting to do future RunDisney events. So the next one I have signed up for is the 2017 Star Wars Half Marathon - The Dark Side in April 2017. Not only did I sign up for the Half Marathon, but I had the dumb idea to do the Dark Side Challenge, which is both the 10K and the Half Marathon. Am I crazy? Slow 15:44 pace me, wanting to do back-to-back runs, I might be crazy.

December 2016

The registration sign up for the 2017 Star Wars Half Marathon - The Dark Side was August 2016. However, even by November 2016, I still yet to start getting back into shape for running. However, on December 5th, 2016, I decided it was time to start back and getting into shape. During the month of December, running was tough. I ran outside a few times, but most of my running took place on the elliptical. When running outside, my times were not impressive. The most I would really run is a 5K aka 3.1 miles. I was running these 5Ks in like 35 minutes at a 11:15 pace. Not going to lie, December was very discouraging. I personally thought I was never going to improve. When running these 5Ks, I would slightly jog the first mile, and walk the rest. I thought to myself, could I ever actually run an entire 5K or not. At the end of December, I went to Disney World for New Years Eve. I knew I was going to have a lot of free time on my hands. I have been fortunate to be able to have been to the parks so many times in my life. During this trip, I was visiting a friend that recently moved down there to work there and family. During my free time, instead of going to the parks, I ran. I believe this was first initial turning point in my running training. I still mainly ran on the elliptical. However, I would go on the elliptical 2-3 times a day on the trip. Running 10K or 12K distances aka 6.2 or 7.5 miles. I would also mix in running outside for a 5K. By the end of the trip, I was able to almost run an entire 5K outside and at about a 30-31 minute pace.

January 2017

Encouraged from my improvement at Disney World, I continued on improving in the month of January. In the month of January, I had signed up for two official 5Ks in Tulsa, Oklahoma: Runway Run 5K and the Go Short, Go Long, Go Very Long 5K. Before going into the Runway Run 5K, I had yet to break 30 Minutes for a 5K. The Runway Run 5K was on 1/7/2017. Obviously with the race's name, the run took place on the runway of the Tulsa airport. The weather was very cold. It was 19 degrees outside. I thought to myself, it doesn't matter what I finish, this is my first official run and just do my best. By some miracle, I ran this race in 29:29 at a 9:31, I broke the 30 minute milestone for a 5K! For the rest of the month, I kept running outside occasionally and on the elliptical everyday. My second official 5K came up Go Short, Go Long, Go Very Long 5K. Again, by some miracle, I improved to a 28:25 time and a 9:10 pace. By the end of the month, I could successfully say that I could run an entire 5K. That is something I struggled with deeply in December.

February 2017

In February, my running only got more intense. During this month, I got involved in a three month program in Bartlesville called Run The Streets, as a mentor. This is a not-for-profit program that is meant to mentor high school students on running and finishing a half marathon. What a great opportunity since I was training for a half marathon too. There are about 60 high school students in the program and like 35 mentors. Throughout the month of February, I would do the Run The Streets runs which occurred on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturdays and I would do a run on my own on a separate day. So in total 4 runs outside each week. My separate run would always be the distance of my next upcoming race. So either a 5K, 10K, or 12K. Everyday in the gym, I would run on the elliptical. In this month, I had two official runs: Sweetheart Run 10K and Bartlesville Central Classic 5K. For the Sweetheart Run 10K, I was very nervous. During my practice 10K runs, I was running them in like 57-58 minutes, which was very good for myself at the time. However, I ran in the Sweetheart Run 10K in the previous year and had an awful time. The race took place in downtown Tulsa and had a few big hills. I was worried that I was going to have a 10K that went over an hour because of the hills. Also, my previous 10K for the exact same race last year was 1:21:06, which is a 13:05 pace, ouch!! Again, by some miracle, I ran this race in 54:20 at a 8:46 pace. The next official race was the Bartlesville Central Classic 5K, which I ran with Run The Streets. The problem with running with Run The Streets is that I have to keep pace with my mentee. Surprisingly, my pace had improved so much that I was ahead of most of the high school students. So with running with my mentee, I was actually running at a slower pace. My time for this 5K was 27:59, which is a 9:02. Still somehow that is still my best official 5K even running at a slower pace at the time, which amazes myself.

March 2017

Really my run training was the same, just increased mileage. Still doing 3 runs a week with Run The Streets, 1 run on my own, and running the elliptical everyday. My pace was improving drastically this month. I ran in 5 official runs this month: Big 12 Run 12K, Whiskey Run 5k, Westport St Patrick's Day 4 Miler, Run The Ville 10K, and Great Plains 10K - Longview. A lot of these official runs were back-to-back days to get myself physically and mentally prepared for The Dark Side Challenge. My run were amazing this month. I posted personal records for the following: Whiskey Run 5K - 23:30 - 7:35 Pace; Westport St Patrick's Day 4 Miler (Virtual Run) - 31:37 - 7:54 pace; Great Plains 10K - Longview - 48:23 - 7:48 Pace; Big 12 Run 12K - 61:12 - 8:10 pace. These paces were amazing and very encouraging and I was way ahead of my anticipated paces for these runs.

April 2017

The final month before the Star Wars Half Marathon - The Dark Side. I only had one official run in the Clarmont Crayon Run 10K with Run The Streets. I wasn't really that focused on that run rather the longer practice distance runs that I had planned in this month with a 8 mile run and a 10 mile run. Still doing the same run training. 3 runs with Run The Streets a week, 1 run on my own, and elliptical everyday. On April 2nd, I did my 8 mile run. I had somewhat of an idea of the time I should expect on this run because a 12K which I practiced and officially ran before was a 7.5 mile run. However, I somehow did better then my 12K runs at least for a pace. I ran the 8 mile run in 65:17 at a 8:09 pace! But that is nothing compared to my 10 mile run on April 9th. I ran 10 miles in 80:45 at a 8:04 pace. I somehow had a better 10 mile pace then 8 mile pace.

Overall

At this point in my run training I cannot believe I far I have come along. I was barely able to run an entire 5K, let alone a 10K or Half Marathon. I had increased my overall time and pace by half or more from what I was running before I started. It is less then two weeks away from The Dark Side Challenge, I could not feel more confident in my running capability. This race will mean so much to me because it will be the first Half Marathon that I put so much time and effort to train for. As for my body transformation, I believe running was a crucial part. Running is a heavy cardio activity that burns most of my calories on a given day. In the official running calendar section, I will provide my ongoing running goals and running personal records.

Body Transformation - Other Exercises

For the most part, running was exercise that burnt the most calories for my workout regime. Granted I was running 2-3 times a day between the gym and outside. However, another significant impact to my body transformation was doing P90X. At the time of writing this passage, I have already completed P90X. I started it on January 10th, 2017 and finished the program on April 10th, 2017. For those of you that do not know, P90X consists of a variety of cardio and resistance workouts. The cardio workouts consist of: Plyometrics, Cardio X, Kenpo X, and Core Synergestics. The resistance workouts consist of: Chest & Back, Shoulders & Arms, Legs & Back, Shoulders & Triceps & Chest, Biceps & Back. There is also some yoga and stretching. And of course, Abs. Also, there are a variety of ways doing these workouts. Either the classic way, lean way, or doubles way. When I started, I did the classic but I eventually did the doubles as I got better at the workouts. Eventually, I did my own version which was more intense then the doubles version.

I just wanted to briefly mention P90X. I believe it is a great workout. The only thing is that you aren't doing super heavy lifting. It is a good way to help loose weight though. I plan on still doing some of these workouts now that I am done and include some heavy lifting in my workout regime in the future.

Body Transformation - Current Lifestyle

Section Soon To Be Finished

2017 Official Run Calendar - Calendar

1/7/2017 - Runway Run - 5K - Tulsa, OK - 29:29 - 09:31
1/21/2017 - Go Short, Go Long, Go Very Long - 5K - Tulsa, OK - 28:25 - 09:10
2/17/2017 - Sweetheart Run - 10K - Tulsa, OK - 54:20 - 08:46
2/25/2017 - Bartlesville Central Classic - 5K - Bartlesville, OK - 27:59 - 09:02 (RTS Mentor)
3/11/2017 - Big 12 Run - 12K - Kansas City, MO - 61:12 - 08:10
3/12/2017 - Whiskey Run - 5K - Kansas City, MO - 23:30 - 07:35
3/17/2017 - Westport St. Patrick's Day 4 Miler - Bartlesville, OK - 31:37 - 07:54 (Virtual Run)
3/25/2017 - Run The 'Ville - 10K - Bartlesville, OK - 55:25 - 08:56 (RTS Mentor)
3/26/2017 - Great Plains - 10K - Kansas City, MO - 48:23 - 07:48
4/8/2017 - Claremont Crayon Color Run - 10K - Claremore, OK - 58:54 - 09:30 (RTS Mentor)
4/22/2017 - Star Wars 10K - 10K - Orlando, FL - 55:59 - 09:02
4/23/2017 - Star Wars Half Marathon - The Dark Side - 13.1M - Orlando, FL - 1:54:02 - 08:42
5/6/2017 - FlowCo Half Marathon - 13.1M - Bartlesville, OK (RTS Mentor) - 2:01:18 - 09:16
5/20/2017 - Fleet Feet 5K - 5K - Tulsa, OK - 23:04 - 7:26
5/29/2017 - Maple Ridge Memorial Day Run - 5K - Tulsa, OK - 22:46 - 7:20

6/16/2017 - Arrowhead 5K - 5K - Kansas City, MO
6/17/2017 - The Color Run - 5K- Kansas City, MO
7/4/2017 - Firecracker Run - 5K - Tulsa, OK
8/5/2017 - Bedlam Run - 10K - Tulsa, OK
8/18/2017 - Furnace Run - 5K - Tulsa, OK
8/26/2017 - Royals Charity Run - 5K - Kansas City, MO
9/10/2017 - Plaza 10K - 10K - Kansas City, MO
9/23/2017 - Kansas City Zoo Run - 4M - Kansas City, MO
9/24/2017 - Broadway Bridge Run - 10K - Kansas City, MO
10/14/2017 - Run The Streets Woolaroc 8K - 8K - Bartlesville, OK
11/4/2017 - Disney Wine & Dine 10K - 10K - Orlando, FL
11/5/2017 - Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon - 13.1M - Orlando, FL
12/16/2017 - Rudolph Run - 5K - Tulsa, OK
1/7/2018 - Disney World Marathon - 26.2M - Orlando, FL

Last edited:
2017 Official Run Calendar - Goals

January 2017
5K - 30:00 - 09:40 Pace - ACHIEVED - 29:29 - 09:31 Pace - Runway Run - 1/7/2017
10K - 60:00 - 09:40 Pace - NOT ATTEMPTED
12K - 70:00 - 09:20 Pace - NOT ATTEMPTED
13.1M - 120:00 - 09:09 Pace - NOT ATTEMPTED
26.2M - 240:00 - 09:09 Pace - NOT ATTEMPTED

February 2017
5K - 25:00 - 08:04 Pace - BEST RUN - 26:19 - 8:29 Pace - Practice Run - 2/19/2017
10K - 55:00 - 08:52 Pace - ACHIEVED - 54:20 - 8:46 Pace - Sweetheart Run - 2/18/2017
12K - 65:00 - 08:40 Pace - BEST RUN - 65:37 - 8:44 Pace - Practice Run - 2/26/2017

March 2017
5K - 25:00 - 09:40 Pace - ACHIEVED - 23:30 - 7:35 Pace - Whiskey Run - 3/12/2017
10K - 50:00 - 09:40 Pace - ACHIEVED - 48:23 - 7:48 Pace - Great Plains 10K - 3/26/2017
12K - 65:00 - 09:20 Pace - ACHIEVED - 61:12 - 8:10 Pace - Big 12 Run 12K - 3/11/2017

April 2017
5K - 21:42 - 07:00 Pace - NOT ATTEMPTED
10K - 45:00 - 07:15 Pace - BEST RUN - 58:54 - 9:30 Pace - Claremont Crayon Color Run 10K - RTS Mentor
12K - 60:00 - 08:00 Pace - NOT ATTEMPTED

Last edited:
2017 Official Run Calendar - Personal Records

- 22:46 - 7:20 Pace - Maple Ridge Memorial Day Run - 5/29/2017
4M - 30:09 - 7:32 Pace - Practice Run - 4/16/2017
8K - NOT ATTEMPTED
10K - 48:23 - 7:48 Pace - Great Plains 10K - 3/26/2017
12K - 61:12 - 8:10 Pace - Big 12 Run 12K - 3/11/2017
8M - 65:17 - 8:09 Pace - Practice Run - 4/2/2017
10M - 80:45 - 8:04 Pace - Practice Run - 4/9/2017
13.1M - 114:02 - 8:42 Pace - Star Wars Half Marathon - The Dark Side - 4/23/2017
26.2M - NOT ATTEMPTED

Last edited:
Joining in to read along. You've made some really impressive improvements in your running. WOW!

And hello from a fellow KC Chiefs fan!

June 12th - June 18th

Like the DC Cinematic Universe, I think I tried to do too much too fast on attempting this training journal. Instead I am going to do this on a week by week basis leading to my ultimate goal of the WDW Marathon in January.

June 12th
I would say this day was a day in the right direction. I would say since like May 20th or May 22nd, I have been suffering from Achilles Tendonitis. With this being the first time that I have ever got it, I did the dumb thing and ran through random pain in my left heel for the first week. Completed a 5K on Memorial Day. Personal recorded at 22:46, which is great. But, I should have just rested and iced and not ran at all for the time being. However, since then I have not run or even used an elliptical. I have seen a couple of doctors. Ice, rest, compression, night sprain, ton of stretching, and other conservative treatments later, I have little to no pain now.

So today was great because I ran on the elliptical for the first time since resting my legs. Granted I have still been doing upper body (Chest, Shoulders, Arms, Back) workouts and abs. Today ran on the elliptical for 4 miles at around 34 minutes. My goal is now set on completing a 5K this Friday night in Kansas City. The Arrowhead 5K for the Kansas City Chiefs, should be fun. I will be crossing my fingers for no pain in my left heel. I also had my Arms and Shoulders day. Currently, do a circuit of biceps, shoulders, and triceps. Essentially I do 4 moves for each focus muscle twice. With each move around 8-12 reps. So essentially, 192-240 reps. Usually between 25 - 45 lbs on dumbells. My daily ab exercise is around 300 crunches with 12 different moves at 25 reps per move.

I am so glad to have the cardio back!

June 13th
Today was a solid workout. Again ran on the elliptical for 4 miles in about 34 minutes. Then did Chest and Back. My chest and back days will usually consist of 300 pushups. Today, after 6 months of working out. I have finally added bench to my chest and back circuit. I only used 30 lbs dumbbells. The rest of my workout consisted of the usual 300 crunch ab routine.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!