2018 Epcot International Food and Wine Festival: August 30 to November 12, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got around to making resort reservations for 9/11 - 9/16. I'm not normally there on Saturday, normally leave that day so I plan on doing a cheese seminar and maybe something else that day instead of booths just to stay away from the madness. I'll probably book the Med. Lunch and a food and wine pairing but haven't decided yet. My plans are up in the air as to whether I'll even be able to go so I got room ressies that could be cancelled and I'm waiting a little longer before booking non-refundable stuff. I know that might mean I won't get something but I'd rather miss out then pay and not be able to go. I'll most likely go to a couple of the deminars at the festival center but in the past I've had no problem with just getting those the day of.

I set my alarm & fell back asleep. I already booked my events for my annual November trip on Tuesday. When I finally woke up again I tried to book the one new F & W pairing that I had an interest in but it kept giving me error messages and said to call. So I went back to sleep again. Based on the lack of activity on this thread I also think a lot of people have no clue that booking opened today. I may try to book a couple of lunch pairings for another trip I have planned earlier during the festival.

Good stuff.

How does the ETTB work, specifically for getting a seat. Do we really have to get there and line up early even with reserved seating. We have VN booked for the same day we have the Italian Regional lunch. I think it’ll be too much food in too short of time. But if it makes getting seating easier/better, we’ll suck it up.

The band is Plain White Ts if that makes a difference.

I honestly have no idea because this is my first time doing F&W. I just know B2M is a bit more popular and if Jersey week and i feel that more people during that time may be more interested since they are from this area. I figured what the heck and booked it. We had VN booked for another night so i canceled that one and made the ETTB ADR. It can’t hurt to have a seat reserved. We have no other ADR that day. We plan on doing a few booths for lunch.

Other than the fact that the Brunch with the Chef is way way way too expensive considering that the quality of the meal previously served was about $10 to $15 at most, just wondering what the opinions are as to what the guest chef will be doing other than what the description says (answering questions and posing for a photo)? Answering questions?? The description doesn't mention anything about the chef preparing foods. Hard to believe they charge $125 for this and only $95 for something like the French Family Traditions lunch which has 5 courses with paired wines!

Holy cow!!!! I just called in to pay the balance on a room only reservation for next week, and asked if they were taking reservations for the Italian Regional Lunch, yet. They were and I booked it!!! No sitting on hold for hours. No getting up at 5am. Just happened to call in and got what I wanted when I wanted. I am amazed.

Other than the fact that the Brunch with the Chef is way way way too expensive considering that the quality of the meal previously served was about $10 to $15 at most, just wondering what the opinions are as to what the guest chef will be doing other than what the description says (answering questions and posing for a photo)? Answering questions?? The description doesn't mention anything about the chef preparing foods. Hard to believe they charge $125 for this and only $95 for something like the French Family Traditions lunch which has 5 courses with paired wines!
But but "Celebrity"

I remember the first Sweet Sundays I did with Keegan Gerhard. Such an amazing experience! I actually learned stuffed and you had a breakfast Buffett, 3 desserts and then some surprises!

I certainly can’t speak for Disney and the event this year has been tweaked to make a buffet and add a photo opportunity. No argument that the generic breakfast part (not cooked or inspired by the guest chef) was lackluster. But at least in the past, celeb chef has been out for ~an hour preparing something the audience would receive a small plate of. I’m (perhaps naively) expecting the same this year. I continue to think if you’re a big food TV geek (like me) it can be fun to see your favorites - just have to go in with realistic expectations. Value is individual, depending on many factors. Not saying I think $125 is appropriate, but I am attending one this year for someone I’ve long been a fan of.

But but "Celebrity"

I remember the first Sweet Sundays I did with Keegan Gerhard. Such an amazing experience! I actually learned stuffed and you had a breakfast Buffett, 3 desserts and then some surprises!

Me too! I did several of those. The last one I did was with Carla Hall and she was super. Disney had neglected to provide any apples for her to prepare one of her 3 desserts, an apple tart. So, she couldn't demonstrate the preparation. Instead, she acted out the entire preparation from beginning to end without actually doing anything with the rest of the ingredients. She was so gracious and a great actress, yet I felt so bad for her that they had screwed up. Carla is actually the guest "celebrity" the weekend I'm there but there is no way I am going to pay $125 for an answer / question / photo session. I did the photo and autograph the last time, but would have enjoyed watching her prepare the desserts.......not that they will have any desserts this time!

I did call and asked, but of course, the CM had no information and just read the description that we all have.

I’m (perhaps naively) expecting the same this year. I continue to think if you’re a big food TV geek (like me) it can be fun to see your favorites - just have to go in with realistic expectations. Value is individual, depending on many factors. Not saying I think $125 is appropriate, but I am attending one this year for someone I’ve long been a fan of.

The description is so different than the previous 2 or 3 morphs of this event that I don't trust that it will be similar, but I think I will call WDW Dine a few times until I can talk a CM into getting some info from the Event center! I probably won't have a problem getting through! I'll post if I am able to get any additional info, though it would be nice if Disney would post that!

I also have Cali Grill brunch scheduled so I don't want to cancel that if this event is going to be so limited. I have done the CG brunch 3 times, which is awesome, but it wouldn't be the end of the world to cancel if this were going to be worth it.

The description is so different than the previous 2 or 3 morphs of this event that I don't trust that it will be similar, but I think I will call WDW Dine a few times until I can talk a CM into getting some info from the Event center! I probably won't have a problem getting through! I'll post if I am able to get any additional info, though it would be nice if Disney would post that!

I also have Cali Grill brunch scheduled so I don't want to cancel that if this event is going to be so limited. I have done the CG brunch 3 times, which is awesome, but it wouldn't be the end of the world to cancel if this were going to be worth it.
Not sure I’d forego Cali Grill brunch for this! I’m going to the first one in early Sept so will report back.

I tried this as well. Called in at 7 am Thursday, made it in right away, and both Hibachi dinners we could have done still sold out. I know the seating for those is small, but I really wasn’t expecting dates to sell out when it hasn’t even been announced on the website. Bad form on Disney’s part expecting fan-run sites to pick up the pieces.
Sounds like Disney might have released all the seats at early booking this year. Would not be surprised at all.

I’m getting worried about what these cutbacks in the premium dining might mean for the booth offerings this year :sad1:

I spoke to a CM who contacted her supervisor and she said that she contacted "someone" to try to get more information about the Brunch with the Chef, but who knows who that was. The CM said she was told that we should not expect anymore than what the description states and that they have no information about any food preparation demonstrations or samples. She did say there was a champaign toast, but they have always provided that.

I'm not going to schedule this unless I hear that there is more provided than indicated in the description. Will look forward to reviews in September!

It would make sense to stagger the booking dates by month. So, September events book in June, October events book in July, November events book in August BUT the entire calendar is all released in advance of the June booking date so people can plan accordingly. This is how DVC does the Moonlight Magic events. They announce all of the dates ahead of time, along with the booking dates for each thing. Calling to book is still a disaster, but it is a lesser disaster than having people trying to call for 75 days worth of stuff all at once. I can not get my head around WHY they opened booking a month ahead of past years, yet they have done such a terrible job that everybody is cringing. I e-mailed Guest Relations about it and they basically said "There, there, run along now." I don't know if they have new people in charge, NO people in charge, stupid people in charge or what. I can't believe a bunch of them sat in a room and came up with this brilliance. "Let's get rid of all of the chef signature dinners. Let's get rid of a couple of the lunch experiences. Let's open booking in June, but not release the calendar so people have to call and try to book like they are playing Pin the Tail on the Donkey!" And then they all nodded in agreement.

I would pay for an event in which you follow him around to each booth & watch him comment on how terrible everything is :lmao:
That would be fantastic!! He is literally the best thing in this world lol. I watch pretty much all of his shows. I would pay high dollar to see him in Epcot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter