2018 Free Dining

Oh ok, thank you very much!! I'm planning a trip for 7 nights so hopefully that is long enough but I was not planning on purchasing the park hopper.

Just had a coworker move their trip for this year back to starting at the end of September and they offered them a Free QSP, which they then upgraded to the DDP. Not sure if this was just a bit of pixie dust or a sign of what is to come. I was surprised that they were able to offer it so early in the year for that part of September. It didn't match up with what I had heard about the bounce-back offer. To much of my dismay they did have to upgrade to Park Hopper to take advantage, but it is still a better discount than the others.

Just had a coworker move their trip for this year back to starting at the end of September and they offered them a Free QSP, which they then upgraded to the DDP. Not sure if this was just a bit of pixie dust or a sign of what is to come. I was surprised that they were able to offer it so early in the year for that part of September. It didn't match up with what I had heard about the bounce-back offer. To much of my dismay they did have to upgrade to Park Hopper to take advantage, but it is still a better discount than the others.
Interesting - Do you happen to know what hotel they were booking when they were offered this?

They are staying at Art of Animation, but not sure the type of room they chose. My guess is a standard.

Oh ok, thank you very much!! I'm planning a trip for 7 nights so hopefully that is long enough but I was not planning on purchasing the park hopper.
Just my two cents - The first year that we went with Free Dining, we did not have Park Hoppers and upgraded to get the plan but it was SOOOOOOOOOOO worth it. We ended up going to multiple parks nearly every day because it was just so easy to do and gave you so much extra freedom while on vacation! It was totally worth the upgrade to us. Now I can't look back!

I wonder if they had a pin code they were unaware of?

In October, when I was first booking our trip for September, 2018, I got this direct quote from my AAA Travel Agent:

“As far as the free dining goes, we have been hearing rumors that they are trying to get away from that special. We are surprised they did offer it this spring back in early May. However, it wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t offer it for 2018.”

So we booked ours with the dining, budgeted it in, and as a previous poster said, free dining would be gravy.

Pin codes are randomly sent out in emails or mail. They are discounts usually for a room or package. Nothing extraordinarily big and they seem to happen more infrequently now.

What's funny, after this reply, I realized I received one in my email on Friday. It was a room discount for 10-30% off, but wasn't valid for our travel dates so I deleted it.

I can't ask a new question as I don't have 10 posts here...so can I chime in for some free dining advice? Here it is: People with mouse superpowers...I have a vacation 2018 and need the experts to give specific insight & mouse guidance. This trip is SUPER important to us...last year my oldest is home, senior year special trip. Here it is: Going deluxe 1st time, Beach Club is happening no matter what. Already have DVC points & availability lined up. Here's the clincher...we have never done DDP, and like the rest of the disney world, have hopes and dreams of scoring free DDP in the Fall. Instead of whole time at BC I thought, maybe 3 nights at WL w/dining plan and 2 at BC- it's my dream trip. 3 days of free DDP, last 2 on our own. BUT (this is a big BUT) I heard rumor after rumor online that in 2017 only the upper tier rooms were released for free DDP, not standard. If this is true....my trip is dashed. We can afford the under 400 a night, but the 458 posted as the price for the next tier up puts us out of the game. IF (big IF) we can not score free dining w/deluxe under 400 for 3 nights I have lost my opportunity to use DVC points for all 5 nights, this would make me super sad and ruin my track record of awesome family planner. Due to desire to make this trip extra magical scoring a moderate w/QD is a consolation prize that wouldn't begin to hit the mark for me. Someone, please (!) tell me a) what are my odds of even getting free DDP as someone devoted to the task and b) will standard room price tier not even be in a "add to reservation" queue when free DDP comes out. I feel like I'm rolling the dice to not just book DVC and I'm not really the gambling type. Thanks ahead of time..

I can't ask a new question as I don't have 10 posts here...so can I chime in for some free dining advice? Here it is: People with mouse superpowers...I have a vacation 2018 and need the experts to give specific insight & mouse guidance. This trip is SUPER important to us...last year my oldest is home, senior year special trip. Here it is: Going deluxe 1st time, Beach Club is happening no matter what. Already have DVC points & availability lined up. Here's the clincher...we have never done DDP, and like the rest of the disney world, have hopes and dreams of scoring free DDP in the Fall. Instead of whole time at BC I thought, maybe 3 nights at WL w/dining plan and 2 at BC- it's my dream trip. 3 days of free DDP, last 2 on our own. BUT (this is a big BUT) I heard rumor after rumor online that in 2017 only the upper tier rooms were released for free DDP, not standard. If this is true....my trip is dashed. We can afford the under 400 a night, but the 458 posted as the price for the next tier up puts us out of the game. IF (big IF) we can not score free dining w/deluxe under 400 for 3 nights I have lost my opportunity to use DVC points for all 5 nights, this would make me super sad and ruin my track record of awesome family planner. Due to desire to make this trip extra magical scoring a moderate w/QD is a consolation prize that wouldn't begin to hit the mark for me. Someone, please (!) tell me a) what are my odds of even getting free DDP as someone devoted to the task and b) will standard room price tier not even be in a "add to reservation" queue when free DDP comes out. I feel like I'm rolling the dice to not just book DVC and I'm not really the gambling type. Thanks ahead of time..

I think that if FD is offered, and you jump on in quickly you'll have a good shot at getting it. Unfortunately, until right before it's released and pretty reliable rumors start happening, no one knows what the parameters will be for getting FD. I totally get that you want it to be super magical, but if FD doesn't work out, there are other ways to make an extra special trip- one of the dessert parties, fireworks cruise, tours.

I am no expert but have run numbers on this. Depending on age and how many are in your party you can have similar savings renting DVC than paying full rates for free dinning. Especially if FD requires that you get a hopper package which may be a cost you did not plan. That has been a requirement recently. Not doing a sit down meal everyday could even out any cost difference.

No one can tell you what hotels or dates will have free dinning. The best you can do is check 2017s free dinning and the 2018 bouceback dates posted here. Even those are just best guesses. You may have to wait until April to get the real dates. By then DVC rooms at those locations are generally hard to come by.

I think that if FD is offered, and you jump on in quickly you'll have a good shot at getting it. Unfortunately, until right before it's released and pretty reliable rumors start happening, no one knows what the parameters will be for getting FD. I totally get that you want it to be super magical, but if FD doesn't work out, there are other ways to make an extra special trip- one of the dessert parties, fireworks cruise, tours.
Thanks!

I looked at the link posted on page 2 ~ because we are going in prime summer, it looks like FD probably won't be an added things. Trying to think if the free QS meal (1/day) is worth it. Yet, our family likes to eat at good restaurants, so we may still pay for the Dining Plan w/ 1 Table Service. Our dates are limited due to Open Houses (son graduates and doesn't want to miss others') huge soccer tournament, and then to bring him to college mid-August. I'm in the "Suck it up, Buttercup" category.

Hope someone can help me with my questions:

1) My understanding is if I booked a package with room + Park ticket now, when free dining promotion comes out, I can jump onto the promotion. Am I correct?
2) if I booked now before the park ticket price increase (park tickets were increase mid-feb last year), when free dining promotion comes out, will my package price increase due to the increase of Park ticket or my package price will remain the same as I booked it before the park ticket increase.

Thanks in advance!

Hope someone can help me with my questions:

1) My understanding is if I booked a package with room + Park ticket now, when free dining promotion comes out, I can jump onto the promotion. Am I correct?
2) if I booked now before the park ticket price increase (park tickets were increase mid-feb last year), when free dining promotion comes out, will my package price increase due to the increase of Park ticket or my package price will remain the same as I booked it before the park ticket increase.

Thanks in advance!
You will have to cancel your already booked package and REbook a new package with Free Dining. Doing this, forces you to pay the increase in park tickets. No other way around it.

Reactions: mky
I am no expert but have run numbers on this. Depending on age and how many are in your party you can have similar savings renting DVC than paying full rates for free dinning. Especially if FD requires that you get a hopper package which may be a cost you did not plan. That has been a requirement recently. Not doing a sit down meal everyday could even out any cost difference.

I agree.

I think very few number crunchers have gotten get free dining to pay for itself with the Deluxe hotels, they are usually past the break-even point. Instead they often save more than enough on room-only discounts to pay for their DDP if they want it.

Promo #1 is the same joke they tried to pull last year.

Thats why we went to Universal for 10 days instead and spent all our money there.

sooo..what kind of free dining did US give you or what "huge" room discount did you get to actually spend 10 days just at those 2 parks plus 1 waterpark? There isnt that much of a price difference in tickets! and you get tons less...because you are saying 10 days at Universal...im finding your remark to disney just a bit dramatic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!