2018 Free Dining

I think you missed the point! Obviously I cannot just "let it go" or this likely wouldn't be an issue. I have been a single mom for 22 years, worrying about money is a way of life for me, so for me it is completely worth it to not stress and not worry for the time I'm there. But clearly for you it is not worth it at all. :)
I totally understand. I was a single mom for most of my daughters' lives. We splurged on Disney trips once a year before there was a dining plan. I spent the year on an extremely tight budget, but at Disney wanted to loosen up a bit and not say no to treats etc... when the Dining plan came along it was nirvana. Now I am planning my first solo trip (my girls now grown and each hope to be at various stages of pregnancy when I travel in October). I am still on the fence about the Dining plan. I have my package booked without it, but will consider adding it if a room discount comes available that I could apply to my existing reservation. I have a $75 a day budget in mind which would cover the plan, but nothing else. I also wonder if I, alone can eat that much food. I could happily order a kid's meal at counter service for lunch, be happy with an appetizer, dessert and a glass of wine at a Table Service dinner. Decisions, decisions....

Interesting.
I'd love to see your breakdown, because I am always going on the assumption that I can't possible spend $75 a day on food (and thus the dining plan isn't worth it). I am sure I COULD spend $75/day on food if I wanted to, but I would find it more stressful with the dining plan trying to "maximize" my value and not have anything go to waste.

Was there one or two big cost meals (Character meals) that brought your average meal price up? I am sure it is different for each person and obviously it depends which restaurants you choose to go. (Like a difference between going to the Plaza restaurant for your TS compared to Crystal Palace).

Did you find yourself eating differently because you are on the dining plan? Would you have bought those snacks (that you didn't use) had you been spending cash? Did the dining plan encourage you to try a "more expensive" restaurant?

Here's my costs per day... TS meals included entre, dessert, and sometimes a glass of wine or other speciality drink. All meal costs include taxes(6.5%), but not tip, as you would pay that either way.

Meals DDP (QS) 15.52 15.96 21.82 25.49 15.20 11.50 30.35 total 135.84

Meals DDP (TS) 63.25 55.38 50.32 51.12 49.00 55.38 22.36 total 370.57

Meals DDP (snacks) 15.96 4.25 60.39 total 80.60

Mug 17.00 total 17.00 week 580

Our TS were Rose & Crown, Tuskar House, Homecomin' (DS), Via Napoli, Hollywood & Vine, Tony's, Beaches & Cream

Our QS were Cosmic Ray, Electric Umbrella, Satu'ill, ABC Comm, Gaston's Tavern, French Bakery, Be Our Guest Breakfast

Snacks went for a couple of desserts at QS or an ice cream, but mostly for bagged snacks.

Would I have eaten differently without the DDP? At meals, no. We have our favorites, and eat at them almost every trip. Sometimes we will do a Signature meal, but not this time.

I probably would not have gotten the bagged snacks, and next time, (if we use the DDP), will probably use more snacks for breakfast items, which this time, I paid out of pocket for (usually around $8-9).

As for the Mug...I don't think I would buy it if I didn't have the meal plan, as I usually don't drink soft drinks, and usually bring it home for morning coffee.... I already have quite a few, but over time, they look pretty ratty, so a new one is nice.

When we use the plan, we don't use it to maximize the value - we use it for convenience and choose our menu items according to what we are in the mood for. It's just a nice bonus when we break even or better.

EDITED: I had miscalculated one meal, and adjusted the above TS meals, and total...still came out ahead

Last edited:
Here's my costs per day... TS meals included entre, dessert, and sometimes a glass of wine or other speciality drink. All meal costs include taxes(6.5%), but not tip, as you would pay that either way.

Meals DDP (QS) 15.52 15.96 21.82 25.49 15.20 11.50 30.35 total 135.84

Meals DDP (TS) 63.25 55.38 50.32 51.12 72.76 55.38 22.36 total 370.57

Meals DDP (snacks) 15.96 4.25 60.39 total 80.60

Mug 17.00 total 17.00 week 604.01

Our TS were Rose & Crown, Tuskar House, Homecomin' (DS), Via Napoli, Hollywood & Vine, Tony's, Beaches & Cream

Our QS were Cosmic Ray, Electric Umbrella, Satu'ill, ABC Comm, Gaston's Tavern, French Bakery, Be Our Guest Breakfast

Snacks went for a couple of desserts at QS or an ice cream, but mostly for bagged snacks.

Would I have eaten differently without the DDP? At meals, no. We have our favorites, and eat at them almost every trip. Sometimes we will do a Signature meal, but not this time.

I probably would not have gotten the bagged snacks, and next time, (if we use the DDP), will probably use more snacks for breakfast items, which this time, I paid out of pocket for (usually around $8-9).

As for the Mug...I don't think I would buy it if I didn't have the meal plan, as I usually don't drink soft drinks, and usually bring it home for morning coffee.... I already have quite a few, but over time, they look pretty ratty, so a new one is nice.

When we use the plan, we don't use it to maximize the value - we use it for convenience and choose our menu items according to what we are in the mood for. It's just a nice bonus when we break even or better.

Sorry, I miscalculated one of the TS meals, . Should have been 49 rather than 72.76...total still comes out better using the DDP rather than paying out of pocket, so we're happy. I edited the original post.

I usually figure around $50 for a TS, $15-20 for a QS, and $5-8 for snacks when we plan.

Sorry, I miscalculated one of the TS meals, . Should have been 49 rather than 72.76...total still comes out better using the DDP rather than paying out of pocket, so we're happy. I edited the original post.

I usually figure around $50 for a TS, $15-20 for a QS, and $5-8 for snacks when we plan.
Okay .. I see the difference. I can't imagine spending $50 a day (on average) for my TS meal .. but I could see doing that if the restaurants you listed were all on my agenda.

I totally understand. I was a single mom for most of my daughters' lives. We splurged on Disney trips once a year before there was a dining plan. I spent the year on an extremely tight budget, but at Disney wanted to loosen up a bit and not say no to treats etc... when the Dining plan came along it was nirvana. Now I am planning my first solo trip (my girls now grown and each hope to be at various stages of pregnancy when I travel in October). I am still on the fence about the Dining plan. I have my package booked without it, but will consider adding it if a room discount comes available that I could apply to my existing reservation. I have a $75 a day budget in mind which would cover the plan, but nothing else. I also wonder if I, alone can eat that much food. I could happily order a kid's meal at counter service for lunch, be happy with an appetizer, dessert and a glass of wine at a Table Service dinner. Decisions, decisions....

I am going again in November with my oldest daughter (who is now 22) and we are getting the dining plan but only because we are doing Epcot's F & W. That would be a lot less fun without the dining plan for us. But if it wasn't food and wine I might consider not using the DxDP if it was just me or just me and 1 of my daughters. But I must say I do like the ease and convenience of not looking at prices. (Totally new experience!) Enjoy your trip with or without the dining plan. I'm sure I will be going solo soon enough myself as my girls are both over 18 now too! :)

Interesting.
I'd love to see your breakdown, because I am always going on the assumption that I can't possible spend $75 a day on food (and thus the dining plan isn't worth it). I am sure I COULD spend $75/day on food if I wanted to, but I would find it more stressful with the dining plan trying to "maximize" my value and not have anything go to waste.

Was there one or two big cost meals (Character meals) that brought your average meal price up? I am sure it is different for each person and obviously it depends which restaurants you choose to go. (Like a difference between going to the Plaza restaurant for your TS compared to Crystal Palace).

Did you find yourself eating differently because you are on the dining plan? Would you have bought those snacks (that you didn't use) had you been spending cash? Did the dining plan encourage you to try a "more expensive" restaurant?

I would love to know also. Generally, if I assume $5 per snack (Most snacks run $5-6, unless you can get the BBQ Pork Sandwich or Hot Dog at a place like Lunching Pad on a Snack rather than QS Credit) and $20-25 per QS meal and not counting the mug (deduct $2.71 per TS Meal when divided over 7 days) as it can't [technically] be refilled in the parks, so I would likely get almost no use from it, you'd have to spend $40-45 or more per TS meal and $80-90 or more per Signature meal to break even for an Adult.
  • BOG Lunch: $21.60 (Most Expensive Entree + Soda)
  • Cosmic Ray's: $20.85 (Most Expensive Entree + Soda)
One could save money if they used all or most of their TS Credits on Character or AYCTE Meals. You can now get Alcohol with the DDP. Not sure how that breaks down as I don't drink, but that probably saves some money. Akershus seems to be the best value at 1 TS Credit for a $60 Dinner ($15-20 Savings). I don't normally get desert at QS (the Master's Cupcake at BOG Lunch is the exception), but as best I can tell that is no longer included in the QS Credit anyways. Also, the much cheaper DDP price for Children seems to be more favorable to saving than the Adult price. Of course, there are many cases where you lose money. I was at Whispering Canyon and cringed when the folks at the next table used their TS Credits for the $19 Breakfast Skillet.

Running my birthday trip (7 nights), I get $222.89 for 5 TS + 1 QS + 1 Snack (Assuming Beaches & Cream Sundae counts as a snack). That leaves me $305.54 to spend on 2 TS + 6 QS + 13 Snacks. Figuring $22 per QS and $6 per snack, I would need to get $47.77 out of each of the remaining 2 TS Credits. In my case, 4 of my 7 ADRs are for breakfast (3 are PPO). This is not counting my AP discount (10% on Most TS), which would increase the break-even to $58.92 per remaining TS Credit. That's a losing deal in my case. It might have broke even had I chosen Dinner ADRs rather than Breakfast ADRs.

[EDIT]

Okay .. I see the difference. I can't imagine spending $50 a day (on average) for my TS meal .. but I could see doing that if the restaurants you listed were all on my agenda.

That would do it. My TS ADRs (not counting discounts) for my Birthday trip are $25, $40, $32, $32, and $52, which averages to $36 ($32-33 with passholder discount).

Last edited:
What are the odds that free dining happens this year? do we think a 5 night 4 day qualifies for free dining? even if there is free dining they usually raise the room price while doing so.

What are the odds that free dining happens this year? do we think a 5 night 4 day qualifies for free dining? even if there is free dining they usually raise the room price while doing so.

I don't know if it will happen, but it's typically a 3 night stay with 2 day hopper tickets to qualify. Room prices are already set for this year, and ticket prices have just gone up, so just look at the rack rate price of each room category now, and add on your tickets to see how much it will cost you, so you'll be ready when/if FD comes out.

I would love to know also. Generally, if I assume $5 per snack (Most snacks run $5-6, unless you can get the BBQ Pork Sandwich or Hot Dog at a place like Lunching Pad on a Snack rather than QS Credit) and $20-25 per QS meal and not counting the mug (deduct $2.71 per TS Meal when divided over 7 days) as it can't [technically] be refilled in the parks, so I would likely get almost no use from it, you'd have to spend $40-45 or more per TS meal and $80-90 or more per Signature meal to break even for an Adult.
  • BOG Lunch: $21.60 (Most Expensive Entree + Soda)
  • Cosmic Ray's: $20.85 (Most Expensive Entree + Soda)
One could save money if they used all or most of their TS Credits on Character or AYCTE Meals. You can now get Alcohol with the DDP. Not sure how that breaks down as I don't drink, but that probably saves some money. Akershus seems to be the best value at 1 TS Credit for a $60 Dinner ($15-20 Savings). I don't normally get desert at QS (the Master's Cupcake at BOG Lunch is the exception), but as best I can tell that is no longer included in the QS Credit anyways. Also, the much cheaper DDP price for Children seems to be more favorable to saving than the Adult price. Of course, there are many cases where you lose money. I was at Whispering Canyon and cringed when the folks at the next table used their TS Credits for the $19 Breakfast Skillet.

Running my birthday trip (7 nights), I get $222.89 for 5 TS + 1 QS + 1 Snack (Assuming Beaches & Cream Sundae counts as a snack). That leaves me $305.54 to spend on 2 TS + 6 QS + 13 Snacks. Figuring $22 per QS and $6 per snack, I would need to get $47.77 out of each of the remaining 2 TS Credits. In my case, 4 of my 7 ADRs are for breakfast (3 are PPO). This is not counting my AP discount (10% on Most TS), which would increase the break-even to $58.92 per remaining TS Credit. That's a losing deal in my case. It might have broke even had I chosen Dinner ADRs rather than Breakfast ADRs.

[EDIT]

That would do it. My TS ADRs (not counting discounts) for my Birthday trip are $25, $40, $32, $32, and $52, which averages to $36 ($32-33 with passholder discount).
Don't forget to add in the tax (6.5% on the "before discount" total) to get a real cost - granted it's not a lot, but it adds up.... That took me by surprise the first time I was trying to figure out the comparison.

I don't see why they've needed it the past few years. Maybe just to fill some of the less popular resorts.

They keep raising prices (and charging parking fees) and people keep coming. Why do they need a promotion to get people to come in the fall when people (like myself) already book for the fall for either:
1 - Cooler temps
2 - Food and Wine
3 - Less crowds (Ya right)
4 - Halloween decorations and parties
5 - Christmas decorations and parties
6 - A marathon

Yeah that's where I feel like a dining plan does lose. If it were a better deal, like choose an appetizer or dessert, that would at least be plus. Or receive money back for unused credits. Otherwise, too much of my mental energy is spent trying to get the most out of the plan vs just enjoying my vacation. I can definitely understand the opposite, but compared side by side with the dining plan of today (vs in the past when it does sound like a great deal) it's much better, for me anyway, to have that control over what I eat and when. If we want to eat at five table service restaurants over four nights, then that's fine. I don't feel like we have to pick and choose our favorites. I just set $X aside for food and keep it in my savings account. Then when it's time to pay off the credit card, that amount is already covered.

Your post sums up free dining accurately. I would only add that in the beginning, the plan was a decent deal. The problem now is that the parks are so busy there is no need to entice people to come. If Disney offers any discounts, you have to jump on it right away, which means spending all day trying to make a reservation on their poor phone system.

Yeah that's where I feel like a dining plan does lose. If it were a better deal, like choose an appetizer or dessert, that would at least be plus. Or receive money back for unused credits. Otherwise, too much of my mental energy is spent trying to get the most out of the plan vs just enjoying my vacation. I can definitely understand the opposite, but compared side by side with the dining plan of today (vs in the past when it does sound like a great deal) it's much better, for me anyway, to have that control over what I eat and when. If we want to eat at five table service restaurants over four nights, then that's fine. I don't feel like we have to pick and choose our favorites. I just set $X aside for food and keep it in my savings account. Then when it's time to pay off the credit card, that amount is already covered.
I think the dining plan has bonuses and drawbacks, and it depends entirely on the type of person you are. If you use too much mental energy trying to get the absolute most of the plan, than that is definitely not vacation mode and who wants that! But for me worrying constantly about the money I'm spending regardless of how much I have to use, uses up to much mental energy, so the dining plan works great. I think for most people it is something that sometimes you can make money on and sometimes you can lose money on, it's more about whether it adds to your vacation or takes away from it. As for free dining, I think it is really simple as to whether or not it is a good deal, the more people you have in the room, the more likely it is a better discount. Sure for 2 people it's very possible a room discount can be a better discount, but like my last trip, we had 5 adult women in one room at CBR, the free dining discount came out, I modified my vacation online that morning and was done in 5 minutes. No phone call, no long conversation and for us a remarkably great savings, way better than any room only discount would have been. But if we had booked at a deluxe with 2 of us, the room only may easily have been better.
I think really there is no right answer or wrong answer as to whether the dining plan is a good idea or a bad idea, it is just what ever works for you.

I think the dining plan has bonuses and drawbacks, and it depends entirely on the type of person you are. If you use too much mental energy trying to get the absolute most of the plan, than that is definitely not vacation mode and who wants that! But for me worrying constantly about the money I'm spending regardless of how much I have to use, uses up to much mental energy, so the dining plan works great. I think for most people it is something that sometimes you can make money on and sometimes you can lose money on, it's more about whether it adds to your vacation or takes away from it. As for free dining, I think it is really simple as to whether or not it is a good deal, the more people you have in the room, the more likely it is a better discount. Sure for 2 people it's very possible a room discount can be a better discount, but like my last trip, we had 5 adult women in one room at CBR, the free dining discount came out, I modified my vacation online that morning and was done in 5 minutes. No phone call, no long conversation and for us a remarkably great savings, way better than any room only discount would have been. But if we had booked at a deluxe with 2 of us, the room only may easily have been better.
I think really there is no right answer or wrong answer as to whether the dining plan is a good idea or a bad idea, it is just what ever works for you.

You're right in that there's so many different ways to go. I'm not saying the dining plan is bad and no one should ever use it. But I do think that it's highly overrated and riskier than people realize. The average WDW traveler who maybe hasn't been ever or in a while might think they need it, or it'll save them money for sure. But that's why there's so many calculators and debates on it because it really is highly subjective and situational. I don't really think people realize what they're doing when they buy a dining plan, or maybe they do and it doesn't bother them. For me it's bothersome. You're tying up a lot of money into food that you haven't eaten yet.

It really just depends on someone's goal I guess. If someone wants to make it easier pay for food, especially with mixed parties (multiple friends etc) then that's obviously the best way to do it as long as people keep to their own credits. If someone wants to save money (aside from free dining because thats a whole other can of worms) then you really have to do the math. Of course, it's all theoretical until you get there. At least without a dining plan, I can eat what I want and where. Sure, someone can order expensive stuff on the dining plan but they're still on the hook for doing that every single time if they want the "BEST" value.

Free dining is fine for what it is, but people twist and turn themselves just to get it and it doesn't really make logical sense anymore. Making it quick service at moderate level pretty much kills any actual value it might've once had previously. Especially when you have to pay to upgrade per person per night and pay any extra adult fees, like in your case. I had free dining in 2016 and it was ok but like I said in a previous comment, it kinda stressed me out. The only time I could imagine getting it is close to thanksgiving or christmas since food prices tend to spike around those times. I'm actually very surprised they still offer it so close to thanksgiving, but I'm sure there's a reason for it.

You're right in that there's so many different ways to go. I'm not saying the dining plan is bad and no one should ever use it. But I do think that it's highly overrated and riskier than people realize. The average WDW traveler who maybe hasn't been ever or in a while might think they need it, or it'll save them money for sure. But that's why there's so many calculators and debates on it because it really is highly subjective and situational. I don't really think people realize what they're doing when they buy a dining plan, or maybe they do and it doesn't bother them. For me it's bothersome. You're tying up a lot of money into food that you haven't eaten yet.

It really just depends on someone's goal I guess. If someone wants to make it easier pay for food, especially with mixed parties (multiple friends etc) then that's obviously the best way to do it as long as people keep to their own credits. If someone wants to save money (aside from free dining because thats a whole other can of worms) then you really have to do the math. Of course, it's all theoretical until you get there. At least without a dining plan, I can eat what I want and where. Sure, someone can order expensive stuff on the dining plan but they're still on the hook for doing that every single time if they want the "BEST" value.

Free dining is fine for what it is, but people twist and turn themselves just to get it and it doesn't really make logical sense anymore. Making it quick service at moderate level pretty much kills any actual value it might've once had previously. Especially when you have to pay to upgrade per person per night and pay any extra adult fees, like in your case. I had free dining in 2016 and it was ok but like I said in a previous comment, it kinda stressed me out. The only time I could imagine getting it is close to thanksgiving or christmas since food prices tend to spike around those times. I'm actually very surprised they still offer it so close to thanksgiving, but I'm sure there's a reason for it.

I'm not sure what you mean by pay extra adult fees? Just upgraded for the moderate and for us is was a great deal. It took the cost of our trip for 8 nights to $1054.00 per person, for hotel, tickets (with park hoppers which we always get) and food (and because it was CBR I got $600 free in GC which paid all the tips and some souvenirs). A different discount would not have been nearly as good for us. I get that it stresses you out so you should never get it. But if it stresses me out to have to keep track and pay out of pocket it is a very helpful solution and if I am getting it anyway, then free dining is a wonderful promo. People twist and turn themselves to get it because it is what they want. There are lots of promo's out there that are great if you want them but if you don't they are not worth the paper they are printed on.
the main point is if you are considering it, do the math, don't let someone talk you out of or into it. But also figure out what is going to make your vacation better. Not having it, saving some money by watching everything you order and stressing out, not worth it to me. Having it and watching everything you order and stressing out about getting your monies worth, not worth it to you! Hope everyone has a wonderful trip!

**One of my other money savers with the dining plan is the snack credit, whatever we don't use up to the night before check out, we convert to souvenir snacks and we have gifts for all my nieces and nephews! Score! LOL

I'm not sure what you mean by pay extra adult fees? Just upgraded for the moderate and for us is was a great deal. It took the cost of our trip for 8 nights to $1054.00 per person, for hotel, tickets (with park hoppers which we always get) and food (and because it was CBR I got $600 free in GC which paid all the tips and some souvenirs). A different discount would not have been nearly as good for us. I get that it stresses you out so you should never get it. But if it stresses me out to have to keep track and pay out of pocket it is a very helpful solution and if I am getting it anyway, then free dining is a wonderful promo. People twist and turn themselves to get it because it is what they want. There are lots of promo's out there that are great if you want them but if you don't they are not worth the paper they are printed on.
the main point is if you are considering it, do the math, don't let someone talk you out of or into it. But also figure out what is going to make your vacation better. Not having it, saving some money by watching everything you order and stressing out, not worth it to me. Having it and watching everything you order and stressing out about getting your monies worth, not worth it to you! Hope everyone has a wonderful trip!

**One of my other money savers with the dining plan is the snack credit, whatever we don't use up to the night before check out, we convert to souvenir snacks and we have gifts for all my nieces and nephews! Score! LOL

More than two adults costs extra fees per night. It used to be $15per extra adult per night for moderates but I think that's increased. It's not going to be as much as another room, but if you have 5 adults in one room it could add up quickly. The resorts forum has more information on that I believe. From what I can gather on a quick google search, they don't tend to bill you on that up front, it's at checkout. All it says on the booking site is "Additional per adult charges may apply if there are more than 2 adults per room at Disney Value, Moderate and Deluxe Resorts" and it's pretty generic. And in this case adult actually means 18+ rather than 10+ for dining plan stuff.

More than two adults costs extra fees per night. It used to be $15per extra adult per night for moderates but I think that's increased. It's not going to be as much as another room, but if you have 5 adults in one room it could add up quickly. The resorts forum has more information on that I believe. From what I can gather on a quick google search, they don't tend to bill you on that up front, it's at checkout. All it says on the booking site is "Additional per adult charges may apply if there are more than 2 adults per room at Disney Value, Moderate and Deluxe Resorts" and it's pretty generic. And in this case adult actually means 18+ rather than 10+ for dining plan stuff.
They definitely charge it up front. I booked that particular trip directly with Disney and the cost quoted and paid on the site was the total cost. I don't know what it was per person for over 2 adults but it was definitely charged at the time of booking.

They definitely charge it up front. I booked that particular trip directly with Disney and the cost quoted and paid on the site was the total cost. I don't know what it was per person for over 2 adults but it was definitely charged at the time of booking.

So you mean people complaining about something they didn't read or understand, you're kidding me right! :rotfl:

Hi everyone! So I have never been to Disney during a time where free dining is offered. I understand that nothing has been confirmed, but we are going to be in Disney for a short trip from September 7th to September 11th. We are staying at Art of Animation (Little Mermaid Room), which I understand is never offered as a part of free dining nor are discounts ever offered for these rooms. However, I had read somewhere the free dining has been offered for Pop Century in the past and since it's a value resort, it would be the quick service dining plan. If they are going to offer this plan to Pop Century guests, do you think it is worth it to switch hotels? And if I do, would I have to cancel my current reservation and make a whole new one like someone on here suggested, or would I just modify the reservation once the offer is available? I also understand that there are limited numbers of rooms and I shouldn't get my hopes up. And if you don't feel it's worth it, are there any other discounts that have historically been offered in the fall on just rooms that would be more bang for my buck? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!