2020 Northeast Dismeet @ Moose Hillock thread

Sorry to hear about the leak, at least it wasn’t a fast one like mine. What brand / type air compressor do you have?
I was looking at the Viair 45053 450P-RV compressor.

Have a safe rest of your trip.

Years ago I a slime brand 12 volt compressor. The old trailer has number of 12 volt electric ports. I used a few times for its intended purpose, bike tires or small inflatables. However, when it comes to tires I found it is no good. During my covid shutdown, I was looking at the Viair units. I have an Onboard tank kit in my Amazon wish list. However I was debating the amount of use vs how fast Northeast winter's will trash the unit. Then I was looking at the portable units like the 400 and 450. Considerably less money. I also have a 110v 3 gallon pancake for when I have electric so I can inflate tubes and bikes as well.

Vince, do you have an on board generator? If so, I would look at getting a 110v powered unit it would cheaper than something like a Viair. Have a higher cfm and reserve capacity.

Yea , my air pump isn't good eaither. I do bring a plug in reguler one, i fill it with air before leaving so its just like a storage tank. I figure i would fill it as much as i could and then hit a gas station.

You both had some bad luck this trip, but at least it was easily fixable stuff.

That's a good idea. I tend not to leave air in the Tank since they rot out.
Thanks for the positive vibes

We left Moose around 11:30 AM after a last minute all around check.tires on the vehicle and trailer. We made plans to be outside of Utica fo a few nights. After a few minutes of checking out, we were on the road.

After a detour Dow route 9 from the GPS and then traffic around Albany, we got on to 90. After about an hour of driving, Elizabeth and I decided to pull over for lunch, leg stretch and bathroom break. I always do a walk around of the truck and trailer. Nothing noticeable. We have lunch and then let the dog out. While I was walking back to the truck, I noticed the left rear trailer tire was low. I figured I would inspect once I got the dog back into the truck.

While performing a dead lift of the dog, I heard someone say tailer tire is low. They were another set of campers. I said thanks and I was noticed it too and was going to take a look once I got the dog in. I went to the tire in question and sure enough it was hissing.

I sprung into action. Elizabeth assisted me getting the tire off the trailer and the spare down from its holding area. Luckily I was to break off the lugs and get the spare on. Next I check the air pressure and find out I'm at 60 PSI. Now I have to unhook the truck and had Elizabeth back it up to the tire in question. Unfortunately I have a small portable compressor that takes forever to get the tire to 80. Turns out it took 20 minutes. Then back to hooking up the truck to the trailer. Finally getting on the road. We finally got to our site around 4 pm after about an extra hour at the rest stop.

This morning I looked around for a tire place to see if they can patch the tire. I found a place. However the puncture was too close to the side wall. A new tire will need to be purchased. As luck would have it, they had the correct spec tire in stock. About 20 minutes and 110 dollars later a new tire. The kicker was about 80 of that was the tire. 15 for mounting and the rest for regulatory fees and taxes.

I got back to the trailer and we went out to see the area. We did gem mining for a couple of hours and then saw a couple of boats use the locks. We came back to the trailer were I replaced the tire which went much quicker.

After dinner we had a nice fire. Looking forward to an early I night, I took a shower. Enter my next misfortune. As I was taking my shower, I accidentally must have tapped the handle of the sink and the stopper was engaged. 10 minutes later, I had a flooded bathroom floor. I spent the next 40 minutes cleaned the mess up. After that I headed to the laundry to wash and dry the towels while a fan is blowing the bathroom dry. Luckily I didn't have too much water penatration. But between the fan and two buckets of damp rid, I'm hoping for a miracle.

So right now at 11 PM, I'm watching 2 loads of towels drying in the drier. This was the point where I wanted to going to bed. Hopefully the rest of the week will be better.

Ugh.... too much excitement for vacation... hopefully it has gotten better!

Vince, do you have an on board generator? If so, I would look at getting a 110v powered unit it would cheaper than something like a Viair. Have a higher cfm and reserve capacity.

So after looking online at the Viair compressors and then dragging my feet on ordering one I picked up this one Thursday in the way home and before leaving to go camping.

E9C2AE26-E884-45F5-BF75-0BBC7EAB95FA.jpeg

Between the compressor, air hose, double sided tire inflator with gauge, and the connection for the air hose it was a bit cheaper than the Viair.

Vince, very nice. I can tell you that having the on board generator really opens your options up for compressors. Now you can use it for some small on the road stuff. I don't think it would run a 1/2 inch impact well but it might be able to get going with the use of a breaker bar to loosen any lugs first. Also now you have a good compressor for around the campsite for inflatables like tubes, bike tires, nailers and anything else that needs air.

Viair is expensive. The system I was looking at was around 300. If I wanted to double my money I could have purchased an ARB twin 12 volt compressor. They are pretty big with the off roading community. They put our 6 CFM and seem to inflate tires in about 2- 5 minutes depending on the size and pressure. However in the last few years, CO2 10 and 15 lb tank systems are more common place. There is a company that sells the whole kit for 500 bucks with tank. Of you can build one for around 200 tank and reg especially if you have the rest laying around the garage like air hose and infllators.

Speaking of the CO2 system. Before we committed to New York for our vacation, we are going to head to the Outer Banks for 2 weeks. I was going to go this route since I had all the rest. CO2 fills are around 10 bucks and last about 20 or fills for my tires. There were a number of suppliers on the Out banks in which I would have been able to get the tank refilled. Most systems refill the tires in about 40-60 seconds per tire. So in 5 minutes would be back up and running. When we were down in the OBX area last year, I remember it took forever to get the tires back up to around 55 PSI just to drive back to the campground. As a matter of fact, I used the very same Slime compressor I noted earlier for this after the air station quit filling tires that was right off the beach outside of the park. I was not going to stand around for 60 minutes if I did that again. Loved driving on the beach. Hated dealing with re inflating the tires. So building the CO2 set up was going to be a no brainer.

Goood luck with the new set up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!