2023 Danube River Cruise

Yes. I was able to choose every excursion I wanted, but wound up changing some later once I consulted with the guides.

During embarkation check in with the adventure guides at the pre-hotel, guests were asked to complete a Google form picking their excursions. The form listed each day and the excursion options. Unfortunately, the first couple of days, the guides had to remind guests that they couldn’t just show up for an excursion because numbers had already been sent to vendors based on the google forms. They gave guests an option to amend their forms if needed.

The guides were really good, when asked, about honestly sharing the physical level of the excursions. Unfortunately, I don’t think some of the excursion summaries adequately explained the level of fitness required. I originally picked the Durenstein hike and Tree Path tours. I even watched a video on the hike and it looked doable. However, once we got to Durenstein and started hiking to the town from the bus park, I knew I wouldn’t make it to the castle ruin. Thankfully, one of the local guides gave myself and another guest a tour of the town while everyone else hiked. By the end of our tour, there were several other people who had decided not to complete the hike. Those that did said that it was very strenuous and up a very steep slope. I also did the brewery instead of the Tree Path Kopfing once the guides confirmed that there were a lot of steps and steep inclines. After routinely walking about 15,000 steps a day, there was no way I was going to go up and down steps if I didn’t have to!
LOL, our first Danube when I was signing up for excursions clearly I was jetlagged because I thought Betty said the hike to Durenstein Castle was one of the less physically challenging excursions of the trip so I signed up...sigh...as you know that was incorrect! Happily, it was a gorgeous day in December and I did make it to the top for lovely photos and a few years later was prepared to make the climb in June. This year, I wouldn't fault anyone for not ascending that slope 🥵.

So happy to hear the cruise is still wonderful-I'd go again if the opportunity allowed-the Christmas Market Danube (followed by the Christmas Market Rhine) is probably still my favorite ABD💕

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter