2024 Moonlight Magic

Has anyone heard of anyone that actually got in on this drop for Moonlight Magic at TL today?

I’m almost wondering if they actually sold out last week and there was not any room or spots available today? Just a conspiracy theory thought, since it didn’t work for me when I actually got in at 11:02 and some others have posted they got in with a super low number too???
MS claimed this morning that it worked and it sold out in 10 mins. Though they initially said they had no complaints, but they put me on hold for 30-40 mins came back to say they have no idea what was wrong but the error message was indicative of a technical issue (not a false error instead of a sold out error). They said the IT department was working with the other company to figure out what caused the issue but they weren't planning on doing anything to fix the event registration that went bad.

They also acted that I wasn't the only person to bring it to their attention.

I logged in about 10 minutes early but noticed it did not activate on time . It hesitated for a few seconds and then gave me my number to stay in the Q .
I knew I would not get registered . I wish they could figure out a better system .
The only time I got in for 2 guests was for the one that was cancelled due to Covid .
I also am tired of trying to get a reservation at11 months without walking , and 7 months only to be offered Waitlist .
Is DVC too popular ?

I logged in about 10 minutes early but noticed it did not activate on time . It hesitated for a few seconds and then gave me my number to stay in the Q .
I knew I would not get registered . I wish they could figure out a better system .
The only time I got in for 2 guests was for the one that was cancelled due to Covid .
I also am tired of trying to get a reservation at11 months without walking , and 7 months only to be offered Waitlist .
Is DVC too popular ?
It does seem like they have increased the number of people who qualify with direct points but have not increased the number of events (or come up with a way to ensure people have an equal chance of attending at least one event)…but I’ve only been a member since last year and I don’t know how many events they used to have…maybe it is more?

It does seem like they have increased the number of people who qualify with direct points but have not increased the number of events (or come up with a way to ensure people have an equal chance of attending at least one event)…but I’ve only been a member since last year and I don’t know how many events they used to have…maybe it is more?
They have had more events some years than in 2024. This year is 8. I think the max was 12. Still, the main problem is the number of eligible DVC rooms at WDW. There just isn't enough space for everyone staying on points to attend, and still have it be a pleasant experience. Whether they have 8 events or 12 or 20, there will always be people filling those ~6000 villas who hope to attend, plus some number of locals.

They have had more events some years than in 2024. This year is 8. I think the max was 12. Still, the main problem is the number of eligible DVC rooms at WDW. There just isn't enough space for everyone staying on points to attend, and still have it be a pleasant experience. Whether they have 8 events or 12 or 20, there will always be people filling those ~6000 villas who hope to attend, plus some number of locals.
But if they had 12 or 24 or 36 and limited each owner to 1 or 2 events per year, more owners would get the opportunity to attend at least one.

MS claimed this morning that it worked and it sold out in 10 mins. Though they initially said they had no complaints, but they put me on hold for 30-40 mins came back to say they have no idea what was wrong but the error message was indicative of a technical issue (not a false error instead of a sold out error). They said the IT department was working with the other company to figure out what caused the issue but they weren't planning on doing anything to fix the event registration that went bad.

They also acted that I wasn't the only person to bring it to their attention.
I’m not so disappointed that my family did not get in, rather that the way it was poorly handled and communicated. My husband was on hold for a long time waiting to speak to a supervisor and got a similar response. Disney clearly communicated that it was limited entry, but how limited is answer we will never know.

There will always be people filling those ~6000 villas who hope to attend, plus some number of locals.

I did notice that most of these events are on weekdays during the school year, perhaps by design to reduce the number of people who can attend. We're (relatively) local but, as much we we love MM, there is no way I'm doing this on school days with a 2.5 hour drive each way. The only events I penciled in this year were the ECPOT Friday event from early March and one of the Typhoon Lagoon events in the summer. We were lucky enough to get both, with the March one via the general registration without the overnight stay.

That said, if the villas are full, those families are already in a situation where school is not in issue, so they might as well attend MM. I just don't know how many are actual owners vs renters or cash stays.

For the first time ever, we’ve successfully ‘won’ a moonlight magic. Question for those that have gone - can you leave and reenter? For example if some of our group wants to go earlier and we all have to enter together can the older people leave and come back? And I believe I’m correct in that food kiosks are not open, so while there is ice cream and popcorn there aren’t pizza/burgers.

For the first time ever, we’ve successfully ‘won’ a moonlight magic. Question for those that have gone - can you leave and reenter? For example if some of our group wants to go earlier and we all have to enter together can the older people leave and come back? And I believe I’m correct in that food kiosks are not open, so while there is ice cream and popcorn there aren’t pizza/burgers.
My husband was able to leave and come back with a wristband already on at EPCOT (but I would definitely double check before leaving the park!) while I stayed with the kids. Though he may have technically left and returned before MM officially started?

I believe food availability varies by park, but we were too busy trying to take advantage of low lines and special photos ops to have time to do more than eat an ice cream bar while waiting for a character meet.

IECPOT Friday event from early March and one of the Typhoon Lagoon events in the summer. We were lucky enough to get both, with the March one via the general registration without the overnight stay.
Does that mean for Typhoon Lagoon you were able to reserve with early registration?

Which event are you attending? I don't think there is food/snack certificated for Typhoon Lagoon.

We once asked about reentry and were told you can reenter with the wrist band, but rules change, so good to confirm before exiting the park.

Does that mean for Typhoon Lagoon you were able to reserve with early registration?

Yes, we made a reservation for Typhoon Lagoon for June and got in via the early registration a couple of weeks ago.

That early registration (which was for both summer Typhoon Lagoon events simultaneously) seemed to go relatively smoothly.

Last edited:
Which event are you attending? I don't think there is food/snack certificated for Typhoon Lagoon.

We once asked about reentry and were told you can reenter with the wrist band, but rules change, so good to confirm before exiting the park.
Yes, my mother in law was able to get us in for the July event. The last time she was able to get one was supposed to be during COVID when we both postponed the trip and then I don’t think they had the event. Our family usually does park hoppers and starts our vacation at a water park so I’m trying figure out what time we want to eat dinner and where - most likely it will be quick service but the timing is tricky - hence why I was thinking we’d check in, leave, grab dinner and come back closer to 7.

Yes, my mother in law was able to get us in for the July event. The last time she was able to get one was supposed to be during COVID when we both postponed the trip and then I don’t think they had the event. Our family usually does park hoppers and starts our vacation at a water park so I’m trying figure out what time we want to eat dinner and where - most likely it will be quick service but the timing is tricky - hence why I was thinking we’d check in, leave, grab dinner and come back closer to 7.
In the past, Typhoon Lagoon has had food available for purchase.

I don't really see the point of checking in and then immediately leaving the park. If you're registered, you'll get in. You don't have to arrive by a specified time.

In the past, Typhoon Lagoon has had food available for purchase.

I don't really see the point of checking in and then immediately leaving the park. If you're registered, you'll get in. You don't have to arrive by a specified time.
We are traveling with more than one family unit and nobody is doing the same thing. Since I am not the member, I need my MIL to get into the event, and they won’t be with us during the day. So it’s possible she and my niece will want to be there really early while we will have already been there from 10-2 and not want to be there as early, if that makes sense. If we say “let’s just go at 7” it’s not a problem. If someone wants to be there as early as they can get in, then I am curious if we can re-enter.

I think it would be better to have people pre-register by a certain date, and then randomly select people from that group, rather than using the "randomly putting people into a queue at XX o'clock" system. Then you don't have to worry about technical bugs, getting in the queue on time or at an inconvenient time, giving better chances to people with more than one device, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter