26 Nights, Triple Celebration Trip...NYC, RPR & HHN....and Irma has a go...A 2017 Trip

So sorry your new hotel wasn't as nice. That really is a small room. I thought the place we stayed at near Times Square had small rooms, but yours is like a cabin on cruise ship. Actually, the cabins on cruise ships are bigger:rotfl2: Glad your birthday was otherwise nice though. The hotel has a great view though. The new building and memorial are really beautiful. I really would like to see them. The only time we have been to New York was within a year or two of 9/11. They were still dismantling stuff and everything was fenced off. We watched the 9/11 incidents very closely. We were supposed to fly to Germany for my first European trip the day after. We watched them replay the first one on television and then saw the second building get hit live. As sad as it is, I am reminded to live life to the fullest for the people that died that day. I think I would have been in tears at the memorial. I totally thought of Working Girl when you mentioned the ferry:) You are really moving fast through this report.

I should know better than to read your report when I'm hungry....yum cheesecake indeed. The sushi looks good too.

I can't believe that they charged you $450 per night for that tiny room.

Love all the great pics, I'm really getting a great feel for the city.

So you like pizza eh? Lol NYC sure is the place to sample it.

Smiling re the working girl reference & at all the great pics. You've done the city proud.

I am wondering why the 2nd hotel squished what appears to be a King size bed in such a small footprint of a room. Understand it's a business hotel but you'd think a Queen would've been a better choice. Still, lucky to get a room at the inn I suppose. If anything makes you appreciate a top-notch property.

Yup that room looks small but it's better than having to sleep on a park bench for two nights

You did good by staying busy and explore more of New York those
two extra days
Less time in the room and more exploring the big Apple !

I messaged you earlier that I specifically came back to the DIS to see if you had written a trip report yet. SO excited you went to NYC and wrote about it here because, as I told you, we're planning a trip to NYC this summer! :) We've been before, but having booked the hotel yesterday, reading your report just made me that more excited! I made notes while reading... so, I have many comments. LOL.

First, Tom's smile. <3 You know how that gets to me!

Second, CONGRATS on all the celebrations!!!! I hope the trip ends up fantastic even with the little bump of icky hotel.

Third, I DID get Harry Potter Cursed Child tickets yesterday by getting a package with hotel included. It's called Novotel. Sounds like it has great reviews and good with kids. It was a bit of a scary ride yesterday -- first they said they had tickets (they had gotten me more expensive tickets down front -- I really wanted the front of the balcony because that's where Davy likes to sit, but I wasn't going to be particular), then they didn't (somehow they let those slip), then they finally did (front row balcony right where we wanted to be!) and confirmed it all. I hear all the released tickets were sold out yesterday, so feeling very lucky! I had told my son earlier I didn't get an access code to get tickets, so I think I'm going to keep mum until Christmas and make it a Christmas present. :) He's more into experiences now than "things," so this will be perfect. I read in reviews of this hotel that although it's in Times Square and has amazing views, the rooms are quiet. Reminded me of your review of your first hotel. Anyway, again, your review making me even more excited!!!! But, alas, must wait 7 months... sigh....

Fourth, the naked painted lady at Times Square reminds me of the other time I took Davy to NYC. The whole time we were there, he acted like he could not hear my boyfriend and me when we'd talk to him. "Huh?" was a standard response. So, we're walking in Times Square, see the naked lady, and I whisper to Jason, "Great way for Davy to see his first naked lady." THEN Davy and hear me and says, "yeah, why is she NAKED OUT ON THE STREET? ICK!" LOL

Fifth, you talked about that Depeche Mode concert. I met a lady at a U2 concert here in KC who was at THAT Depeche Mode concert in NYC. LOL. She was from France and took her holiday to come over and see U2 and Depeche Mode all over the States.

Sixth, TIFFANY'S YAY!!!! How sweet!

Seventh, Davy LOVES A Christmas Story. I'm going to have to check out that leather-bound book! I am so with you -- I NEED a "real" book. I have a HUGE library in my house. I am obsessed -- I think we are soul-sisters there!

Eighth, Davy has not been to the Empire State Building (I have years and years ago). He wants to go this time and he LOVES Kong, so SO going to get that ornament you described!

Ninth, I've seen Wicked about 4 times and Davy twice. We LOVE IT. So glad Tom enjoyed it! Just an amazing show!!!!!

Tenth, Davy loves the Home Alone movies. I need to take note and take him specifically to the places from that movie! Thanks for the idea!

Eleventh, Juniors: I've heard a couple of recommendations now for that place, so for sure going to try it! :)

Twelfth, the loud sandwich guy reminds me of the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld, who was modeled after a real restaurant owner. If you don't know what I'm talking about, immediately go now to youtube and look! :)

Lucky thirteenth, SO HAPPY TO READ YOUR REPORT!!!! Can't wait for more!

PS fourteenth -- do the Tower next time. I did it when I went with a friend to the US Open. It's amazing. Although, you may freak out if Tom is too near the windows!

Yum, I love cheesecake.

Great pictures once again.

That second hotel does look so basic, but like anything else with hotels, location, location, location. Glad you only had 2 nights before heading to the airport.

Ready to hear where you went out after freshening up.

Isn`t cheesecake just the best!!! Even location didn't explain this one away........other hotels in same area with better facilities were cheaper......they obviously took advantage of the lack of rooms.......that`s business though isn't it.......location was good though, no denying that.

So sorry your new hotel wasn't as nice. That really is a small room. I thought the place we stayed at near Times Square had small rooms, but yours is like a cabin on cruise ship. Actually, the cabins on cruise ships are bigger:rotfl2: Glad your birthday was otherwise nice though. The hotel has a great view though. The new building and memorial are really beautiful. I really would like to see them. The only time we have been to New York was within a year or two of 9/11. They were still dismantling stuff and everything was fenced off. We watched the 9/11 incidents very closely. We were supposed to fly to Germany for my first European trip the day after. We watched them replay the first one on television and then saw the second building get hit live. As sad as it is, I am reminded to live life to the fullest for the people that died that day. I think I would have been in tears at the memorial. I totally thought of Working Girl when you mentioned the ferry:) You are really moving fast through this report.

lol.....my sister cruises a lot and she said all their suites/cabins have always been much bigger than that........we did have to laugh really.......yes the 9/11 whole area I found very emotional, most people around could be seen wiping a tear or two at some point. Yep....trying to get through it......
maybe if I didn't ramble so much.......lol.....

I should know better than to read your report when I'm hungry....yum cheesecake indeed. The sushi looks good too.

I can't believe that they charged you $450 per night for that tiny room.

Love all the great pics, I'm really getting a great feel for the city.

Mmmmmmm yep......cheesecake.......lush!!! Glad you`re enjoying it Vicki.......not long till Orlando........

So you like pizza eh? Lol NYC sure is the place to sample it.

Smiling re the working girl reference & at all the great pics. You've done the city proud.

I am wondering why the 2nd hotel squished what appears to be a King size bed in such a small footprint of a room. Understand it's a business hotel but you'd think a Queen would've been a better choice. Still, lucky to get a room at the inn I suppose. If anything makes you appreciate a top-notch property.

Oh we yearned for the NY Palace lol........yes, it was a strange room, really wasn't even big enough to be a single.......even for a KIng Bed it felt small......oh pizza.......now that does get a mmmmmmmmmm.......we did have some nice ones later tonight........glad you`ve enjoyed the pictures....I have thousands as you can imagine......won`t post them all........:P

Yup that room looks small but it's better than having to sleep on a park bench for two nights

You did good by staying busy and explore more of New York those
two extra days
Less time in the room and more exploring the big Apple !

I just wished we hadn't chose that hotel.....but it worked out in the end really location wise as we got to do more than planned.......yes, less time in the room the better........

I messaged you earlier that I specifically came back to the DIS to see if you had written a trip report yet. SO excited you went to NYC and wrote about it here because, as I told you, we're planning a trip to NYC this summer! :) We've been before, but having booked the hotel yesterday, reading your report just made me that more excited! I made notes while reading... so, I have many comments. LOL.

First, Tom's smile. <3 You know how that gets to me!

Second, CONGRATS on all the celebrations!!!! I hope the trip ends up fantastic even with the little bump of icky hotel.

Third, I DID get Harry Potter Cursed Child tickets yesterday by getting a package with hotel included. It's called Novotel. Sounds like it has great reviews and good with kids. It was a bit of a scary ride yesterday -- first they said they had tickets (they had gotten me more expensive tickets down front -- I really wanted the front of the balcony because that's where Davy likes to sit, but I wasn't going to be particular), then they didn't (somehow they let those slip), then they finally did (front row balcony right where we wanted to be!) and confirmed it all. I hear all the released tickets were sold out yesterday, so feeling very lucky! I had told my son earlier I didn't get an access code to get tickets, so I think I'm going to keep mum until Christmas and make it a Christmas present. :) He's more into experiences now than "things," so this will be perfect. I read in reviews of this hotel that although it's in Times Square and has amazing views, the rooms are quiet. Reminded me of your review of your first hotel. Anyway, again, your review making me even more excited!!!! But, alas, must wait 7 months... sigh....

Fourth, the naked painted lady at Times Square reminds me of the other time I took Davy to NYC. The whole time we were there, he acted like he could not hear my boyfriend and me when we'd talk to him. "Huh?" was a standard response. So, we're walking in Times Square, see the naked lady, and I whisper to Jason, "Great way for Davy to see his first naked lady." THEN Davy and hear me and says, "yeah, why is she NAKED OUT ON THE STREET? ICK!" LOL

Fifth, you talked about that Depeche Mode concert. I met a lady at a U2 concert here in KC who was at THAT Depeche Mode concert in NYC. LOL. She was from France and took her holiday to come over and see U2 and Depeche Mode all over the States.

Sixth, TIFFANY'S YAY!!!! How sweet!

Seventh, Davy LOVES A Christmas Story. I'm going to have to check out that leather-bound book! I am so with you -- I NEED a "real" book. I have a HUGE library in my house. I am obsessed -- I think we are soul-sisters there!

Eighth, Davy has not been to the Empire State Building (I have years and years ago). He wants to go this time and he LOVES Kong, so SO going to get that ornament you described!

Ninth, I've seen Wicked about 4 times and Davy twice. We LOVE IT. So glad Tom enjoyed it! Just an amazing show!!!!!

Tenth, Davy loves the Home Alone movies. I need to take note and take him specifically to the places from that movie! Thanks for the idea!

Eleventh, Juniors: I've heard a couple of recommendations now for that place, so for sure going to try it! :)

Twelfth, the loud sandwich guy reminds me of the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld, who was modeled after a real restaurant owner. If you don't know what I'm talking about, immediately go now to youtube and look! :)

Lucky thirteenth, SO HAPPY TO READ YOUR REPORT!!!! Can't wait for more!

PS fourteenth -- do the Tower next time. I did it when I went with a friend to the US Open. It's amazing. Although, you may freak out if Tom is too near the windows!

It was fabulous to read you message the other day........we miss your posts!!!!!

Tom says thanks........:D

I`m so glad you`re sorted.....the Novotel is in a great position and does get good reviews.......and I'm so glad you got your tickets for Cursed Child......it sounds so good......

Some great tips there......I will go up the new tower next time we go......I`ll be ill, but I`ll do it.......lol.......will google that Seinfeld thing......I never watched that show.......

The NY Library store had some lovely books, not a huge selection, but you`d find a good few since you love books too!!! Yep, real book person here too.......gave my Kindle away......didn't like it.........

Glad to see you post though.......don't be a stranger........and cant wait to hear about NYC with Davy.......:wave2:

Love your dress, that color is gorgeous!

The green one? Yep I like it.......had it a few years and wont get rid of it.......think we all have clothes like that........::yes::

THURSDAY cont.........

Quickest shower and change of clothes ever which we had to wait for as our room hadn't been cleaned. I can live without my bed being made, but I wanted clean towels and products.......tried to call housekeeping from the room but it was permanently engaged. So I went down to the front desk to ask if we could get fresh towels and products....I really did expect the room to have been done at this time of day. I went back up and within 10 minutes a young lady appeared with a mass of towels and products and asked rather surprisingly did we want our room serviced.....why she had to ask I don't know, we said no it was fine just the towels.............but again, I have to say the hotel was immaculately clean and most of the staff were very friendly excluding the two at check in........

One of the managers we had spoken to stopped us on the way out and asked how our stay was and I asked if she really wanted to know......she laughed it off really, but asked if she could help with anything........actually there was, we told her we needed a car to take us to JFK tomorrow afternoon around 4.30pm. We had been told b the concierge in the NY Palace that cab drivers wouldn't be keen at that time of the day as it was change of shift........so we asked if she could arrange a car for us. She said yes, they used a company regularly and she would book it for us. We just had to be outside and it would be there. The cost was only $20 more than a cab, plus tip of course.....it would save us worrying about getting there..........we thanked her and headed outside.

So we headed to the pub next door......another local institution that was a local lifeline after the attacks. It was called O` Hara`s......I don't usually go into places like this but again, it was historic. The place was filled with badges of police and Fire officers badges from all over the world all hanging all around every wall in the place.........very emotional again.........but we sat at the bar and Tom ordered a beer and I ordered a white wine........going by the reviews we were unlucky.......we got the unfriendly barman........but, turns out he was sick.....literally........I tasted the wine and it was disgusting.......so I just didn't drink it.....it was a nice place to sit though and incredibly busy with folks from all different walks of life......every walk of life!!! We didn't plan to eat there as Irish pub menu`s don`t appeal to me in the slightest, but the food did look good.

We asked for the check and another barman asked if we could wait while our original barman threw up....he would be back.......the look of horror that stretched across my face must have been visible as he asked if id never thrown up and laughed.........eh just the check buddy and we`ll pay it now.......at this point I told him the wine was dreadful.......he then told me I was in an Irish pub........I was mad......then noticed the giant vat the wine had come from.....yuk......Tom said we weren't paying for it....so he just flung out some random cost for the beer.........and he was annoyed.......sorry buddy, this place might have the heart of the locals and I can see why, but he was the only person in 10 years we didn't tip. I wouldn't go back. Which is a shame as it does get a lot of love.

We planned to wander over the other side of the street and see the Westfield Mall.......it looked so pretty.......but first we stopped off at The Fritz Koenig Sphere.

This was originally the centerpiece of the World Trade Centre.........but though badly damaged in the attacks it survived. Without going into the whole story, it had been in Battery Park for years.......thanks to the efforts of some like Michael Burke who`s firefighter brother died that day it now overlooks the Plaza of the National 9/11 Memorial. Strangely they didn't want it to be part of the display they have in there. It`s bronze and an impressive 27 foot high.

i-jLJ2NHr-XL.jpg

Again, it`s quite a reflective place to be, but not as sobering as the pools.........and it feels right actually where they have put it. I have no clue as to the politics of it, but I`m glad it`s still there as an eternal symbol.

This was a nice place across the street........and strangely enough I had been in part of this building before. I saw the ground floor and realized that in 2013 my niece and I had gone on there with a little tour and they let us take pictures across the street to the then unfinished new tower........so I took a picture to show her.....and we headed around to where the shops were.......

i-ccSCKFC-XL.jpg

i-HBjqX5S-XL.jpg

i-jGzpXBQ-XL.jpg

i-6PK2v7H-XL.jpg

Now this impressed me.........it almost made the Mall at Millenia look dull and lackluster!!! It was sparklingly clean and everything was immaculate.....and it did have some very nice stores. We mostly window shopped but did want to look for something to eat too.......we knew where the food court was but first we wanted to go out here.........

i-q82Rz86-XL.jpg

I was amazed how close we were to the river.....now I know Manhattan is narrow, but I forget just how narrow at times.....and didn't realise the river was just across the street from us.......it was beautiful here........really tranquil but at the same time it was buzzing.......so many restaurants around and places to have a drink and they were full of people.......this was an area that would be so much fun to spend some time.........

i-LqNzM5v-XL.jpg

i-s5tLf7c-XL.jpg

i-Z5XgKHs-XL.jpg

i-h9nfXpg-XL.jpg

i-b8cL4Px-XL.jpg

We sat and had a glass of champagne and watched the changing light over the water.......it was warm and the atmosphere was so nice......we did choose somewhere a little quieter as there was a few bars that were very raucous and we just wanted to sit somewhere we could hear ourselves think a little.....maybe we were indeed getting old......lol......it was almost perfect, and the champagne was nice too.

We headed back inside the mall as Tom was getting hungry now.........unusual for him as it`s usually me......he`s the type that can go all day without food or drink.......me?? I start shaking if I don't eat regularly........I don't know how he does it.......but he was quite hungry........so we started back inside and planned to have a look at a few stores before checking out the food court........

i-8T3QvDJ-XL.jpg

i-RVdzzbW-XL.jpg

We wandered around for quite a while and the food court was indeed nice, but nothing really appealed........what we both admitted we wanted was pizza again.......and a lot of pizza!!! This was my kind of guy...........now I felt hungry!!!

So we set off back through the mall and headed back over the walkway that crossed that busy road and back to the Trade Centre side of the road......we had enjoyed the waterside area and would have spent longer if strangely, we had more time. We did like this downtown area, there was so much to do and see and we hadn't even touched the surface of things we would have liked to have done.

But for now........food was calling........we had seen a few pizza places around the hotel, but one had caught our eye and I vaguely remember someone mentioning it at some point.......but who it was evaded me at this point.......it literally was next to the Essex Café we had enjoyed eating in.....and didn't look the fanciest of places, but there were seats inside and loads of choices of pizza........I do like different toppings on pizza and adore bbq sauce as a base.......something that some regard as a cardinal sin........but, we like what we like.......

Tom went straight to the bathroom as we`d had 2 glasses of champagne......while I checked out the pizza.........I had sat our bag down on a table while I looked......and I turned round to see a guy sat at the same table for four........I thought how rude. But I walked over and said oh I`m sorry I didn`t know you were sitting there......but nicely as I thought maybe I had taken his table and I was the rude one!! He looked horrified and said he hadn't even noticed my bag.......I did believe him, he moved and we began to chat as always. Tom came out of the bathroom and wasn't surprised to see I hadn't ordered yet and was chatting to yet someone else.........

So we looked at the choices and very greedily decided on 2 slices each..........Tom got Pepperoni and Pepperoni with sausage, I went for Pepperoni with jalapenos and BBQ chicken.........oh my goodness they were so good.......I had been tempted by spicy Hawaiian.......it looked lush too.......

i-92kCkxP-XL.jpg

This was lush!!!! Really lush.........we didn't think we would eat all of it.......but apart from a few crusts......we demolished them......and they were big, but by now we were indeed hungry. We got a little bottle of their wine which wasn't great but for $8 I didn't expect much and also 2 bottles of my favourite Snapple...........this was by far one of our favourite meals.........pizza was so good. And as I type this I could just eat them right now.......then I remembered who told me about this place........it was the police officer who I had been giggling with the other morning........he had said we should try it here if we liked pizza........I was glad I had listened to him..........

We were full. So we waddled around the corner back to the hotel.......it wasn't late by any means so we went to the lounge and saw the two lovely members of staff were both working........they were so nice........so we ordered a couple of glasses of wine and decided we would stay here a while......it was a little busier tonight which was nice........we took our glasses and sat outside for a while......it was stunning and there was only one other couple out there tonight......so we got chatting like we usually do.......they were so similar to us it was quite scary.......but we took our usual array of pictures and kindly took each others too..........

i-jpHfQ39-XL.jpg

i-zW7WVPq-XL.jpg

Last one is a little blurry.....I think well, I`ll call him Simon had enjoyed a few more wines than we had......lol.......but it was a nice way to end the evening. We had another glass of wine and thanked the bar staff then headed to bed rather reluctantly........must have been around midnight at this point.

We hoped we would sleep tonight.

Enjoying your report so much. We go to New York frequently, but apart from seeing the 9/11 memorial, we haven't spent much time down there. I think I have some research to do for our Dec trip. We stay at the Omni Berkshire right around the corner from the New York Palace. Love the location. Wonderful hotel if you are ever back in NYC again. I'll be at Universal in January (first week). A bit scared about crowds. We are booked at CB but I keep hoping for an AP discount at one of the deluxe hotels.

Last edited:
Thanks, that`s so good to hear :thumbsup2.......must be lovely to be able to go so often to such a fantastic City........oh I know the hotel you mean, it looked really nice too....and yes, nice position I the City.

Keep an eye for the deluxe in January....I`ve never been then, but hear it is indeed busy then! Will be fun though ::yes::

FRIDAY 15TH SEPTEMBER...........

We did sleep better last night, not by much but better. I think at times you get so tired it overtakes you........the bed was still uncomfortable though.

But we awoke to the euphoric feeling of today was the day we flew to Orlando.......well, we hoped.....there was never any guarantees with flights and I think we worried most of the day we would turn up at JFK and discover they had messed up and we weren't booked or some other disaster.......but for now we just wanted to get up and showered, dressed and pack up our meagre personal items we had managed to find room for. I will say they also had a safe in the room, but nothing behind the front desk like safety deposit boxes. But this was enough for us for the time we were here.

Once dressed we went down and checked to see if we had indeed been given the late check out we asked for. They told us they couldn't tell us till this morning.....but it was fine. So we didn't have to leave our luggage in the area outside the hotel.......I`m sure it would have been fine, but wasn't convinced. So we headed around to our little café for breakfast......before we did we stopped again at the Firehouse next to the hotel......we had stopped several times and spent time reading the cards and signs that had been left. Today we took some pictures.

i-CtkJ5SF-XL.jpg

i-qQ84LXv-XL.jpg

i-fSqZ7J4-XL.jpg

This was the home of FDNY Engine Co. 10 and Ladder Co. 10, and this FDNY Memorial Wall, a 56 foot bronze Sculpture. It was again, very emotional and think we stopped to look at it every time we walked past and I always filled with tears. Families of loved ones who perished had left flowers, cards and images of those who had been killed. The entrance to the Firehouse was around the corner and they have an eternal candle burning in there with names and images of their officers who died. It didn't feel right to picture that but when we spoke to the fireman, who were lovely, they were so glad to see folks were still interested and still as emotional over it all. But genuinely moving. But the whole area is like that, full of emotion.....sadness, anger and every emotion in between.

We said goodbye to the lovely firemen......did I mention they were all lovely.......lol, but they were so nice.......headed in to our café and as usual shouty guy was shouting and ordering everyone around.......but hey it works as everyone got served and got served quickly with the right food........but it was exhausting just watching him.........we didn't feel like much this morning as we had planned lunch at a little deli we had seen yesterday......food looked so good.........so we ordered a blueberry muffin for me and a cinnamon bun for Tom and 2 coffees. Pictures look awful so I won`t post........but the muffin was gorgeous and huge....Tom`s wasn't as nice but he ate it. Not bad for around $10 all in. I would miss this little place actually.......it felt very refreshingly NYish.......

We decided as this was our last morning we would head back up slightly and walk towards where you can walk across the Brooklyn Bridge......I knew City Hall was up this way also, I knew we couldn't get to see it as it would be gated, but something else to see.........it was boiling hot now......and only still early morning........maybe 9ish.

We had turned up into Church St to head up on to Broadway but first took some pictures of the Oculus and Trade Centre building from the other side of the road.....namely Church St. This was where we were careful not to get into anyone`s way taking these as the place was alive with lots of folks heading to and from work.....didn't want to be a pest.......

i-NKSjHqk-XL.jpg

It is impressive and on such a beautiful day it looked even better. This was where I was so glad we had enjoyed a couple of extra days downtown as we might have missed this. It was lovely and warm so we certainly enjoyed standing in the shade and admiring this view........but we soon headed off to see other things.

As we got onto Broadway I saw this building and thought it would make an amazing hotel...........

i-46SHfcW-XL.jpg

It was so nice to just walk through this part of the city and explore areas we never knew, I certainly hadn't explored this part before.......and as always found a little park to sit in the shade and a fountain.......I believe it`s simply called City Hall Park........and the fountain is the Jacob Mould Fountain.......The Fountain was originally installed in City Hall Park in lower Manhattan in 1871. It was designed by Jacob Mould, who served as Assistant Architect, Associate Architect, and eventually Chief Architect of the New York City Parks Department. So I can see how he deserved his own fountain.......lol.......it actually ended up in the Bronx from around 1920 when it was disassembled sometime until it was revamped in 1998 and park re opened in 2000. It was pretty.

i-gDfmSFc-XL.jpg

i-HnG2ZKp-XL.jpg

Again, this was a place you could sit and while away the day......there were plenty of seats all around and plenty of people sitting around and enjoying the shade from the heat of this early sun........

We turned and walked around to Centre St from where we could see the Brooklyn Bridge. We did think we would do this one day, but today wasn't that day......it was boiling hot.....and it was mobbed already.....we could see hordes of people seemingly sweeping across the bridge.......we thought maybe we`d prefer to get the Subway across to Brooklyn and walk back at night seeing the city all lit up........I felt a little sorry for those walking today as it was hot!!

i-bSqc3N4-XL.jpg

We were now at City Hall.......not facing Central Park as shown In Ghostbusters.....lol.......but it was an impressive building......although most buildings were impressive to me.......

i-DrMMRcj-XL.jpg

It is pretty and of course very heavy security around, so you cant get any closer.......but there are more seats in the shade behind this building........

We took our pictures and headed back around the backside of the building where I could see this building I thought would make a very elegant and kind of spooky hotel.........turned out it was something rather dull, necessary building but dull..........The David N. Dinkins Manhattan Municipal Building. So basically a building that kept the City running.........what a waste.......but what an impressive place to work if this was your office.......I had thought. But I was admiring the architecture to Tom and said I`ll bet it was stunning inside when a lady told me it really wasn't.......unless you looked out of a high window.....it did have impressive elevators and lobby......but that was it........well, it was pretty from the outside at least.

i-f7frvcX-XL.jpg

Quite a few buildings around were just as impressive

i-3FgMh47-XL.jpg

i-Kk2Np6r-XL.jpg

We now turned around and began to head back towards our hotel area........stopping for a seat in the shade in one of the little parks and admiring some of the aged buildings that were surviving the renovations......history fascinated me and learning what some of them had been once upon a time always interested me.

So we walked back down and slowly headed past The Trade Centre......we did stop off and spent a last half hour or so sitting around the infinity pools and taking in the atmosphere for the last time this trip......it was a lot busier today and we left as one woman got very emotional.

Walked past our hotel and headed downwards a few minutes walk to Café Bravo.........the amount of building work around is amazing......any little piece of land is snapped up and development plans in before anyone could blink.....but that`s life.......so this little café was on a side street and had been incredibly busy when we passed it........it was similar today, but we got a table.......

There was so much choice from hot food like chicken Parmigiana, hot noodles, spicy chicken, roast beef and salads to sandwiches and so much more......I was torn between a freshly made up chopped salad where you chose all your own ingredients and a sandwich........Tom said get both...doesn't matter if you don't finish either......so that's what I did.......I got a chopped salad with thick creamy honey mustard dressing and extra jalapenos and a chicken parmigiana panini......Tom ordered The Angry New Yorker which had very rare roast beef and caramelized onions among other ingredients.......oh my......this was so good too.......

i-QvXb7CS-XL.jpg

i-45dDG86-XL.jpg

i-t3MQFxv-XL.jpg

We ate as much as we could. Food was exceptional.......and we genuinely enjoyed everything we had eaten in NY. But we were ready to move on now......

So back to hotel and we went up to collect our luggage and go back down to check out, although we had already paid we jut wanted to be sure there were no extra charges put on. But it was fine.......and it wasn't grumpy girls on the desk, so it was a pleasant experience......we were of course far too early as it was only around 2.30pm. So we went back up to the lounge and had some coffee and we had previously arranged to Skype Kyle as he would be well home from work by now.

He answered immediately and we could show him the fantastic view from the balcony........and he could hear the sounds too........we chatted for ages as he had quite a lot to tell us today.........but eventually we said our goodbyes as he was heading out later, and it was nearly time for us to go down and get the car that had been ordered.

Sure enough we went down at the allotted time and the car was indeed waiting, it had just arrived as we did. He checked our name and room number and loaded our cases into the back of this very nice Escalade........he gave us bottled water and some little trail mix style snacks......and we sat back and awaited our journey to JFK.

We were strangely sad to leave NYC. We truly had enjoyed almost every minute of our time here......and the things we hadn't enjoyed like the flight change and so on were out of our hands.......but we had met some lovely people, spent time with family and best of all had made some spectacular memories from all the places we had visited together. We were so glad to have visited. There were so many variances in NY, busy streets, loud sounds assaulting your ears....to the quiet serenity of Central Park to the amazing views from the spectacularly high buildings. But now were mentally in Orlando.

I`ve done the journey from the City to JFK many times, and this car was a set price.....so I did wonder when he seemed to take the longest route to JFK.......it was strange as he had nothing to gain........but we did eventually get there and it was indeed a set price. We paid him, thanked him and took our cases to go inside the terminal.

Jet Blue were our carriers tonight........and I was so worried at this point that everything had indeed been sorted the other day.......I`m a worrier.......but we put in our passports and got our luggage labels and couldn't quite see how it worked next......we had only ever done International flights, and it is slightly different flying internally........but we soon discovered we had been TSA pre approved......we hadn't noticed......lol......so we got to go through without emptying laptops or remove shoes and so on........it was quick. I have to say the airport ground staff here were incredibly helpful and so friendly.

Through the other side we wandered around and got some snacks and a coke from the food place.......it wasn't great but we weren't desperately hungry as we had enjoyed such a good lunch. There wasn't much to do in this place except wait for the plane to take off and at the moment it was showing as on time. Although I did nearly make the blunder of wandering in the gents by mistake....oh dear.......a Chinese gentleman stopped me by very manically waving his hands and stopping me........lol.......I came back out very red faced seeing Tom laughing his head off!!! Sometimes you cant really leave me to my own devices..........

We eventually wandered through to the gate.......we were fortunate our initial seats were still allocated to us and they had extra leg room and still included the one checked bag each........so we knew we`d be comfortable. So as we sat, we saw our flight was indeed delayed. In fact it hadn't arrived in yet.......this was going to be a long evening. We were supposed to take off at 9.30pm and get in around midnight.......but now we weren't taking off till at least 10.30 and it still hadn't arrived. Eventually of course it did arrive and they told us we should be taking off around 10.30pm. But, as the plane was so full would people with hand luggage consider checking it in free of charge as there wouldn't be enough room for everyone`s hand luggage. Fair enough, so I said to Tom well I don't really need mine so I`ll put mine in.......no problem. A lot of people did the same as no one wanted another delay when they would forcibly make folks check them in.

We did indeed get on the plane and very quickly the doors closed and we were pulling back quickly........the seats were indeed roomy and leg room was good so we thought ok this is ok. Then with a panic I remembered I had put my new jewelry in the hand luggage that was in the hold. Now I'm quite a trusting person, but had heard so many stories of things going missing......but I couldn`t do anything now so put it out of my head.

We had a decent flight and it was quite different arriving into MCO in the dark. Usually we arrive mid to late afternoon........and we were tired. We had a very good landing and thought yep, we`ve made up quite a bit of time as it was around 12.30am. We got off the plane quickly and headed out.....excited as always......when we saw we had to now get on a bus. Really? I knew there was major work going on at MCO, but this was odd.......so we duly got on a bus and I expected to get dropped off at the main terminal as there must be a problem with the monorail........so we drive around the airport and we get off......I look for the terminal along with everyone else.......but we go up a flight of stairs..........only to find we still have to get on a monorail........where the heck have we been driving around to.........so, we duly get on the monorail with folks getting more and more irate........finally get off the monorail and we are told to go all the way down to the end of Terminal B. Our luggage was coming in there......so all of us troop down there dutifully........and when we get there we are informed your luggage isn't here....it`s all the way down the far side of A. At that point I and almost everyone else looked like they would either cry or scream with frustration..........did anyone here know what was going on!!!

So everyone wandered back down to A....as far as we could go.........and yes indeed we were briefly told again our luggage was being sent to B. Just before there was an outcry from every passenger that had arrived a man appeared and yelled it was here......we were in the right place. I was never so glad to hear anything as everyone was now tired and getting extremely irate.

It wasn't long before our luggage did indeed appear.......except the bag I had checked in as a favour to cabin crew.........now I was worried and immediately began to fear the worst, so explained to a man what had happened to some of our hand luggage.......he said they were on the way. Two seconds later, my bag appeared. Rightly or wrongly.......I did check my jewelry was there and it was. Big relief.

Down now to car rental desk.......and fervently hoping this had been correctly altered too. Long story short, it was fine. And as it was the middle of the night she wasn't interested in selling us every upgrade under the sun that we didn't need........

Straight over to choose our car.........that was easy......picked one that looked clean and tidy and we were off. Finally.

Roads were so quiet and we were there in no time at all. The tolls had been free of charge because of the hurricane so we didn't have to stop for that, it`s only $2.25 and only one now instead of the two that had been there for years.

We turn off at Universal Boulevard and head up towards Universal.....soon get our first glimpse of Dr Doom.......then RPR and SF......we were nearly there........

Drove into car park and easily found a parking space.......walked up the short but welcome walk into that gorgeous lobby area that would be our home for the next 17 nights.

For anyone who doesn't know we have stayed exclusively at Royal Pacific since 2009. We fell in love with it instantly and have had no desire to stay anywhere else when we visit Orlando. People often ask why we go back year after year to the same place and hotel......the answer is simple, we feel so at home here and have so many friends here, people we have gotten to know well over the years and it does feel like a family. May not work for everyone, but for us it does.

There weren't many people around, and Joanna on front desk was someone we didn't know......but she knew us........as always got the warmest welcome and began the check in process.......usually a manager comes out to welcome us, we did see her briefly but she suddenly disappeared. It didn't matter...we just wanted to get into bed as it was now 2.30am........we ask for some little bottles of water as we are very thirsty.....so she says she will send some up....that's ok with us and we head up to our room......we know which room we are getting. And as we get in the very familiar elevator we feel more at home by the minute.

Head down our corridor on the 6th floor. We much prefer this floor. No real reason we just do. We see then that the room key system has changed......you just flash your key over the sensor and it is unlocked......very nice and much more up to date like Sapphire Falls was.......we are so ready for bed, I`m imagining a lovely shower and a clean comfy bed..........but I soon wake up........

i-nQZhZfL-XL.jpg

i-nh8GR5V-XL.jpg

i-gHLC9bV-XL.jpg

i-vC2DkXv-XL.jpg

Now I was awake.....how lovely.....I was surprised and amazed Tom had organized this without me knowing.......although it wasn't all him.....the hotel had sent stuff too. I was genuinely touched by the cards from the folks that had put them in there........they had also put little safety matches beside the cake so I could light the candles.......Tom had arranged something for the Wednesday when we were supposed to arrive, but of course being delayed the girl from concierge had been informed so had arranged it to be redone and put in tonight.......and the cake was my favourite colour on purpose.........I loved it!!!

I did blow out the candles of course and at that the phone rang......it was the duty manager saying she was sorry she missed us as another guest had an emergency.......assured her it wasn't a problem we had enjoyed a pleasant check in as always.......but told us if we needed anything.....of course get in touch.

I`m almost embarrassed to admit we did have a piece of cake!! We had got a new lease of life now we were here.........and the cake had to be cut down as it wouldn't fit in the fridge full size anyway, it was large, very large.......so we cut it down and put some on the smaller plates and enjoyed some.......it was gorgeous.......white sponge which I love and not chocolate.....Kyle would have gone for chocolate of course, but I adored that type of cake.........but we ate a big chunk each and some fruit and at that point the lady appeared with around 10 little bottles of water....we needed them!!!

i-wrz9TsQ-XL.jpg

At that point we took our usual few pictures of the room.....and I glanced out of the window to see the all familiar view we loved so much.....Dr Doom resplendent in Purple and the pool still glistening crystal Blue even at night.........

i-9NB46QD-XL.jpg

i-m3wm4wL-XL.jpg

i-LdkPmQp-XL.jpg

i-MMBMFTD-XL.jpg

i-b6zqphX-XL.jpg

i-pZfwg3g-XL.jpg

We decide not to unpack tonight......we take out essentials and have a quick shower as it has been a long day.....and immediately New York feels a lifetime ago.......right now I am now eyeing up that bed.

I didn't think I would fall asleep quickly as I still felt awake......but it was so comfy and before I could blink, I was asleep.........but, we were ready to start this phase of our celebration trip and we were finally home.

Last edited:
Yay! Excited to read your next chapter (although, then I'll be sad that it'll be at least two more years I think before we go to Universal again... sigh....).

Yay! Excited to read your next chapter (although, then I'll be sad that it'll be at least two more years I think before we go to Universal again... sigh....).

It’ll be here before you know it Alice.......honestly, you know how quick time goes.......and you have NY next year too to look forward to........:thumbsup2

Yippee. I've enjoyed all you've posted, yet I am so excited for the Universal part of this report!!!

Thanks so much......:goodvibes yes, we were so excited to get to Orlando too.......we had enjoyed and loved NY, but this was our main part of the trip.......::yes::

Wow! You're a RPR Rock Star! I stayed there with my kids for two short visits this year and loved it. The last room we had was also Tower 3, 6th floor. I had to splurge a little for Club Level because it was a very last-minute trip and that was all they had, and it was great. I was a little disappointed at first to be on the 6th floor, rather than the 7th, but it worked out way better! We just used the stairway to go up to the club, plus we avoided the extra foot traffic on that floor. We will probably return to RPR sometime in January.

I really enjoyed your report on NYC. We were there in 2016, and it brought back some great memories. Thank you!

Wow! You're a RPR Rock Star! I stayed there with my kids for two short visits this year and loved it. The last room we had was also Tower 3, 6th floor. I had to splurge a little for Club Level because it was a very last-minute trip and that was all they had, and it was great. I was a little disappointed at first to be on the 6th floor, rather than the 7th, but it worked out way better! We just used the stairway to go up to the club, plus we avoided the extra foot traffic on that floor. We will probably return to RPR sometime in January.

I really enjoyed your report on NYC. We were there in 2016, and it brought back some great memories. Thank you!

Glad to hear you enjoyed RPR so much and yes, 6th floor has much less traffic........and nice to hear you’re going back.......wish I lived closer!

And thank you......really pleased you enjoyed the NY section......memories are wonderful things aren’t they.......we did love the city.......and I was so glad Tom enjoyed it too.......especially as I told him how much he would love it............::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts