26 years ago....addon posts, 12, 15, 22, 27, 31

Moving along here. So, now I have the coveted (at least to me) Polynesian lagoon view room booked for the week after Thanksgiving, 1999. Marie still thinks the trip was canceled and that's that. :)

Over the ensuing weeks, using the wonderful knowledge that I was soaking in here on the DIS, along with both the Birnbaum 'Official' Guide and the Unofficial Guide. I joined the Magic Kingdom Club, MKC. Some nice discounts and perks with that. I went about making reservations ( I forget what they called them back then) for a number of really great signature and character dining experiences as well as other neat extra cost experiences. Probably too many of each, a rookie's mistake. Vince would be 22 years old on the trip and Natalie would turn 19 on the trip. I wanted some nice things for them too. Our tickets were the then popular Length of Stay tickets, name changed to Unlimited Magic pass before our trip.. It was like a 7 day park hopper. I just looked the price up on Deb's site, 7 days, 6 nights, $289. Ahhh, the good old days.

For the evening on our arrival, I booked the California Grill, amongst the best, great view, a short ride on the monorail, a real neat way to kick things off . One evening we did Yachtsman Steak House, another, Flying Fish. We did Tony's Town Square before our evening at MVMCP. Lady and the Tramp is one of Marie's very favorite Disney movies. ** We did Teppan Edo before our Candlelight Processional. We did character breakfasts at Chef Mickey's, Cape May Cafe and 'Ohana. We did both Sci-Fi in MGM and Whispering Canyon Cafe in WL for fun and kicks. We did Rainforest Cafe for our breakfast on our Animal Kingdom day. There was some kind of ice cream special at Garden Grill that somehow we squeezed in.

Natalie and Vince did parasailing from the Contemporary over Bay Lake. We did an Epcot fireworks cruise to celebrate Marie and her new health, we did a Magic Kingdom fireworks cruise on Seven Seas Lagoon to celebrate Natalie's 19th birthday. We spent a half day at Disney Quest. If Marie was a Cirque du Soleil fan (she's not, but I am), we probably would have done La Nouba, ha. For the Tapestry of Nations parade (one of my favorites though many people did not like it), I learned here that if you watched from between, if I recall correctly, Italy and America, you could actually view 2 parades. ToN was run in triplicate, 3 separate parades. One started at America and went towards Japan direction. So you are seeing the start of that one. One of the other 3 started by Germany and worked it's way to America. So you see that one coming as the other one was leaving. Oh the things I learned on the DIS, and still do.

I am sure there were other things, some may come back to me before I end this nonsense, ha.

So, this is a lot of what I had all planned, before I let Marie know that I was going to try and coerce her to go. I had belief in my plan. That's it for another night.

** Marie's screen name here on the DIS, where she visited for about 4 or 5 years after our trip, is Lady M, and her board avatar picture is,

1714007810660.png0

Last edited:

Well, let's see if I can finish this protracted Earth Day thread tonight.

Last we met yesterday, I had our Disney World plans, reservations, tickets all made, and refundable. I as yet had not made the non-refundable airline reservations. I was pretty sure this was going to work out, Marie was feeling much improved over the past 6-8 months. Just not 100% sure.

We were now early July. Marie's birthday is July 17th. I thought I would 'spring' this on her on her birthday. Now Vince and Natalie were old enough to let in on the secret and my plan. The plan as explained to them was basically we're going to go to Disney World and were they okay with the idea, if mom was. They said, yeah! Sounds good! I told them, no telling or hinting to mom ahead of time.

Among the usual gifts and cards I and the kids had for Marie was a card I was able to find somewhere. Not sure where I got it. Actually, I bought two of those cards. The card was not the one I posted below here, but along those lines. If I recall, the 'to Disney World' was on in side, you had to open it to get the entire phrase. Anyway, it was July 17, 1999. It was a beautiful summer night, maybe upper 70's out. The four of us were out in the back yard on our screened-in porch, having a nice birthday dinner, presents and cards sitting on a chair, over there. After dinner, some birthday cake and Happy Birthday 🎵. Now come the cards and presents, except for one card, that's the last one, The Card.
Marie Marie is down to the last card, The Card. Natalie, Vince and I watch her open it, looking at each other as she does. It was opening an Academy Award Oscar envelope with our combined trepidation and silence. Marie's opening it and has the look like she knows something is going on. It's open, she takes out the card, looks at it, looks at me, then the kids. She says, what's this, what does this mean? I said, it's what it says, we're hoping to go to Disney World. Marie says, well what do the kids think (like they don't want to go, haha). They were already on my 'side'. I asked them, what do you think guys, would you like to go to Disney World? A resounding, SURE!!! I said to Marie, it's not like real soon, we're looking at the week after Thanksgiving, like 5 months from now. That took some of the pressure off. Marie says, well, let me think this over for a couple of days. Geeesh, this was as tough as getting my first date with her 31 years earlier. :faint:

So, two days go by, Marie says okay. :cool1::cheer2::hyper: I told her that I will take care of everything, not to worry about anything. Just go buy some clothes for a Florida vacation, when it might be a little cool in the evenings. We're going to have a great time.

With that, I go make air reservations. We live pretty close to O'Hare. The previous year, an airline out of Milwaukee, about an hour north, Midwest Airlines, started advertising in the Chicago market, suggesting to drive an hour or less north to Milwaukee and avoid the hassles of O'Hare. I took the suggestion the year before for my trip to Orlando. Midwest Airline (now forever gone :( ) was a wonderful airline. The whole plane, MD-80's, had 2 by 2 first class, leather seating. Huge seats, lots of legroom. They had champagne breakfasts, wine lunches and dinner, with real china, cloth napkins and real metal. tableware. They advertised first class seating at coach pricing. And it was. Sure do miss that airline.

Got the tickets, and then had to do some final planning. Not sure what that was, but I know I did not sit around for 5 months. One thing occurred here on the DIS before we left on our trip. The previous owner here announced a contest about something new coming to the DIS. I think the prize was probably a mug or something like that. I think you had to email your guess into the board, maybe a week open for the contest, one guess per person. Anyway, it was a tie. Two DIS folks, PandyPaws (Donna, now deceased) and Charlie.NJ guessed correctly, a travel agency was being added to the mix here, Dreams Unlimited (DU). I think they each got their mugs. Several of the moderator and admin folks were the initial TA's. I contacted them to ask some questions. My room reservation was with Disney. DU told me I could switch it to them and they would be able get get the comp. Being a team player, thought that was good. I was assigned CathyCanada (head admin at the time, now no longer here). And when we did finally go on the trip, she told me that we were the very first DU trip that was taken. Not the first booked, but the first taken and completed. Just a little history there. Guess this is all history,. :laughing:

Okay, we are just about ready to go. But, it's late again here, besides, this one is getting long and boring again. I think one more should finish it off, a few more neat things happen. Hopefully tomorrow. :wave:

1714103002585.png

Last edited:

Few will remember the Magic Kingdom Club, that was a cool deal. The swag included a bag that DW now uses as her gym bag. It was stashed away for decades so it looks brand new!
I was a card carrying member of MKC as well. I first experienced it free through my employer, and when I switched jobs to one without it, I joined myself. I can remember calling for reservations and having to ask about stockholder discounts, MKC discounts, Fla Res discounts, and AP discounts. Those were some long calls . . . But they were totally worth it.

I probably still have my card around the house somewhere, most likely in a scrapbook.

Alrighty here, hope this is the closure. So do you, haha. :laughing:

So, it's now Thanksgiving time. We have new clothes (not everything, but some things), new luggage, and lots of things that the various online WDW packing lists said are a must. At this time of the year you really need to pack pretty much for two seasons, warm/hot and cool/cold. And we did experience both.

We load the car trunk, it was full, and it was a big trunk. We head north to Milwaukee the afternoon before our flight. We get up to the Milwaukee's General Mitchell field area about an hour later. My idea was to leave the following morning for an early morning flight without being worn out from the hassle and drive up to Milwaukee. An overnight hotel stay right next to the airport's west side was great. The hotel had a park and fly package, leave the car in a fenced-in, locked at night parking area for the length of our trip, the hotel drives us over to the airport in the morning and picks us up when we return.

As we got to Milwaukee late afternoon, as was my plan, we checked in, and, having told the family not to eat a bunch of junk at home before we left, we headed about a mile away to the north end of the airport for a first class dinner at a very classic Wisconsin-style supper club, The Packing House. We had a wonderful, first class dinner, nice family time talking about our upcoming trip, but few details were shared by me. :ssst: As an aside, The Packing House has been Marie's and my favorite more upscale go to restaurant ever since. Among our visits there, we were going to celebrate our 50th anniversary there in 2021. COVID pushed that nice dinner meal there to 2022, celebrating out 50th and 51st. One of Marie's favorites there is one of their famous appetizers, bacon wrapped water chestnuts.. Okay, enough with the dinner.

We headed back to the hotel a couple hours later, all of us trying to get a good night's sleep ahead of our trip starting early the next morning. We probably had a 7:30 AM flight or so. There were 'free complimentary' breakfast items at the hotel but I reminded everyone that we were going to have a really great, first-class champagne breakfast on the plane in 90 minutes or so. (remember, this is pre 9/11, no 2-3 hours before flight time at the airport needed then). We board the shuttle, along with a plethora of luggage :rolleyes2 and head about a half mile away to the airport.

We get to the airport, easy check-in, only a quick walk through the metal detectors, no TSA nor methodical procedures. A ticket, a quick walk and board. I did add a video below for anyone who might be interested to see what Midwest was like back then (first 5 minutes or so) (or, if a previous passenger of Midwest, to reminisce The Best Care In the Air). We went to our seating row, got seated and comfortable (gosh, I sure do miss those seats) and buckled up for the slightly less than 3 hour flight from MKE to MCO. Once we were in the air, we settled in with a great champagne breakfast. Not sure if Natalie was served champagne, age 18 on the flight down to MCO. No signature Midwest Air warm chocolate chip cookies after breakfast, not served until after 10 AM.

A few hours later we were in balmy Orlando. We got our luggage and went across the access road to the National Car Rental (learned that was the best rental company from here on the DIS, walk out to the cars, skip the lines and pick the one you want). Pretty sure we picked out a van. Loaded up, headed for Disney. About 20 minutes or so later we drove under one of those famous Welcome arches. We have arrived. I think I may have had a little dust in my eyes at that point.

After getting lost a bit while getting to the Polynesian. It took me a while to realize that to traverse Disney World's vast roadways, a driver has to first head toward a theme park area and then to specifics associated with that park. To get to the Polynesian, one has to first head to the Magic Kingdom area, then to the specific place you want to go. I recall asking more than one park entrance parking attendant where such and such a place was over that week. :drive:

We arrived at the Polynesian. :beach: Holy moly, we're here. We pull up to the porte cochere, the bellhops come over to help us get in and so forth. As we were walking in to the lobby, a monorail passed overhead. Amazing! The waterfalls by the entrance were beautiful. Even though it was noisy there at the entrance, the running waters sounded so welcoming. We entered the lobby. Stood there for a bit, just staring at it all. I asked Marie and the kids to wait by the low stone wall that surrounded the jungle looking foliage and another waterfall.in the lobby by the stone Hidden Mickey that was built into the stone floor while I went up to the check in counter. I gave them what they needed, license and credit card I suppose. That went quickly and efficiently.

The CM gave me the welcome envelope with lots of information in it along with 4 key cards. The names of the longhouses had just recently been renamed. We were assigned the Moorea longhouse (previously the Tahiti). Back then, that was considered a lagoon view. Today, it is considered lagoon/theme park view (for even a higher price). That longhouse goes for about $1,500 a night for the time period we were there. I thanked the CM and started back to Marie and the kids. I gave them their key cards, and as I did, the CM called out to me, Mr. Murphy, can you please come back here, with the key cards. Okay, guys, give me the key cards back. I go bac to the check-in and the CM asks me for the key cards as she gives me another envelope. She says that the resort manager has upgraded you and your family to concierge. :faint: . She said the manager reviewed our 'file' and said he'd like to upgrade us. So we had the lagoon/theme park view longhouse with club level access in the Hawaii longhouse next door to Moorea, about $1,850 a night currently.

We walked over to our new home for the coming week. 3rd floor, beautiful balcony with a magnificent view of the magic Kingdom and the Castle in the distance. Total success. Two last pieces of house keeping. I say everybody on the beds. I had prepared a spreadsheet printed in color with our plans for the week. Parks, dining, special stuff. And in the middle of each day was a BIG, WHATEVER. I told them that this is what I am hoping we can do, we should be able to do. BUT, if at any time that anybody does not want to do something,, you all are free to do whatever you want to do. Sleep in, go back to the resort, go to a different park, eat somewhere else, whatever. And lastly, I went to a small box, that I had set on the bed, that the check-in CM gave at check-in and took out 4 cellphones. They were Nextel type flip phones which were cellphones that you could make a regular call on but mostly were used as a walkie-talkie type device. At that time, small, portable cellphones were not what they are now. These phones were very popular at the time with construction companies for pots of workers on a site to keep in contact with each other. A very enterprising company in Orlando saw a great market for them at the Orlando theme parks and rented them by the day, week or whatever. They were pre-programmed to be able connect with each of the 4 phones super easily. They were very helpful during our week there.

With that, we freshened up a bit, explored the resort some and early evening headed over, on the monorail, to the Contemporary and the California Grill. A great first meal followed with watching Magic Kingdom's Fantasy In the Sky fireworks. We rode the monorail back to the Polynesian for a well-deserved first night sleep.

I vividly recall getting up about 3 in the morning to use the bathroom. Before getting back in bed, I walked out on the balcony, looked across Seven Seas Lagoon and while watching the Castle for a couple of minutes, slowly changing the colors of the rainbow, listening faintly to the combined sounds across the lagoon of the night workers getting ready for the coming morning in a few hours, and the sleeping sounds of my family behind me. I felt so good. And then I went back to bed.

All the pictures I took on this first Disney World family trip (and turned out to be the last all family Disney World trip) were taken with film. I've never converted them to digital. I did convert this one some years ago and have posted here a number of times.

The four of us on our Illuminations cruise, celebrating Marie's return to health. A celebration cake can be seen a bit in the lower right. Great memories.

1714186114238.png

If anyone gets this far, and is at all interested in seeing Midwest Express/Airlines, or would like to reminisce, the first 5 minutes or so will give you a flavor of it. Any time I fly now, I miss Midwest

Last edited:
That was a great story! We didn’t stay on property for our early trips, as we only spent a day at MK before heading to the beach for a couple of weeks. When I graduated and got a job, I was determined to do an on property stay for the family and pay for the whole thing, as a thank you for all the times I was able to visit growing up. I spent two years saving up, made the reservation at CR a year and a half in advance, and did all the planning. I didn’t tell the family until maybe six months out. We had a blast! Before we went, Dad kept saying it was costing too much, and what would we do at Disney for two weeks (there were only two parks then as the Studios and AK weren’t open yet). He was the first one to ask when we could go back when we were packing up to go home. We got our first APs for that trip, and I have had one every year since then.

This story is hard to follow..
It was hard to originally experience. If you continued with the story, DC, I hope it became easier for you to follow. :hug:'s
Tell Marie we say hi.
Will do, Scott. Great to see you. My best to Pam, Elly and Arabella. Any others?
I've relied on your advice for so long over on the Swan/Dolphin board, and getting to read your Disney history feels like the biggest privilege.
Thanks for those thoughts, Karalee, much appreciated.
And count myself among the lucky ones that have met you
Likewise here also, Nancy. Great meeting you and Dave in the past too.
Give Marie a hug for me.
Will do, MJ. And a hello from me to Kelly and Nick.
Few will remember the Magic Kingdom Club

If you remember the Magic Kingdom Club... you're as old as I am!
Ron/leebee, that card was so simple but so good. Really missed it when they got rid of it.
Hope you and your family are doing well.
Patio, so nice to see you. Stop by more often. And yes, thank you, we are doing pretty well. Hope with you and family also.
Midwest Express was wonderful! The warm chocolate chip cookies, yum!
A sad day when MW ceased operations. They really were, The Best Care In the Air, their slogan. And yes, those cookies!!
I was a card carrying member of MKC as well.
It was a good one, for sure.

Thanks for all those who read about my early days with Disney World. That was a lot of reading. Initially was going to be a simple line or two on Earth Day. Then I got carried away. Thank you all for you thoughts, words and likes.

Loved every minute of your story Dan. Just curious when you were last at WDW. It’s hard to believe I’ve been a member over 23 years and still enjoying every visit as though it was my first. Wishing you and Marie well. 👋

It was hard to originally experience. If you continued with the story, DC, I hope it became easier for you to follow. :hug:'s

Thanks for all those who read about my early days with Disney World. That was a lot of reading. Initially was going to be a simple line or two on Earth Day. Then I got carried away. Thank you all for you thoughts, words and likes.
I haven’t had much time novels lately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter