2BR Villa or Lock-off

ebenmax

DIS Veteran
What are the advantages and disadvantages to both the 2BR Villa and the 2BR lock-off?

Our family consists of my husband and me, my daughter, her husband and baby, my adult son and teen step-daughter.

I'm trying to decide which would be the better configuration for our group.

Thanks for any ideas!

Although we haven't been to Aulani, we have had both those options at WDW's OKW. We found the lock off better, as you can all be together at times by opening the connecting door, but when some of the party are night owls or early risers, or they just like some privacy, you can separate them off without disturbing others. I am an early riser so I can use the bathroom and make a hot drink in the lock off while the other sleep, then we open the connecting door once everyone's up. It's a win-win for us.

The set-ups are a little different.

2 br lockoff is a studio + a 1 br with an adjoining door, 2 bathrooms total. The studio portion will have its own entrance to the hallway, a kitchenette, a queen bed (I think), and a pull out sofa. The 1 br portion has a king bed, a living room with a pull out sofa and a murphy bed under the TV, a full kitchen.

The dedicated 2 br has one room with 2 queen beds, 1 room with a king bed, a living room with a pull out sofa. There is one entrance to the hallway for the entire unit, 1 full kitchen, and an extra half bathroom for 2.5 bathrooms total.

If the rest of the group has hopes of sleeping in later than the baby, then the lock-off might be a good option and put the couple with the baby in the studio portion. They can warm up some food in the kitchenette and slip out their own entrance if they want. I will tell you that the adjoining doors are still not perfect at blocking sound. When our twins were 2.5, one fell off the eating bench right near the adjoining door (of which we did not know the occupants) and screamed at like 6:00am. Pretty soon they were knocking on our door... So embarassing. Anyway, this leaves probably you two in the bed in the bedroom and your son and stepdaughter in the living room.

The dedicated 2 br has one room with 2 queen beds, 1 room with a king bed, a living room with a pull out sofa. There is one entrance to the hallway for the entire unit, 1 full kitchen, and an extra half bathroom for 2.5 bathrooms total.

So the dedicated has an extra half bath that the lock-off does not? That may be a critical element for us since we will have people sleeping in the living room area!
Then again, I think my daughter and her family would really like the separate space and kitchenette with the baby.

Thanks for the insights!

So the dedicated has an extra half bath that the lock-off does not? That may be a critical element for us since we will have people sleeping in the living room area!
Then again, I think my daughter and her family would really like the separate space and kitchenette with the baby.

Thanks for the insights!

Correct, the dedicated 2 BR has an extra half bath. It is right near the door to the hallway, off the kitchen. Then there are full bathrooms accessed through each of the bedrooms.

FYI on the 2BR lock-off: if access to the toilet/sink is a concern for those sleeping in the living room, there is a doorway to enter the toilet/sink/shower room from the kitchen. Nobody would have to walk past someone's bed to use the bathroom, if that helps!

Dedicated 2 br:
aulani-two-bedroom-dedicated-sm.jpg

2 br lock-off:
aulani-two-bedroom-lockoff-sm.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the layouts! I did not realize the door goes from the kitchen to the bathroom
nighttime bathroom visitors.

One other question that may be critical for my adult son... how comfortable are Aulani's sleeper sofa beds??? Lol

Also, is one more difficult to book than the other?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!