Alice A

Earning My Ears
We're doing Disney/Universal with DD who will be 10 at the time (only child). We were there once before when she was 6, I think we did a day and a half in magic kingdom, almost a full day in Epcot, and half days for the other two. This time we're planning to go to Universal first, and drive over to Disney in the morning so we'll have 3 full days as well as a half day at the end for Disney Springs. We were originally assuming 1 day each for Epcot and Hollywood studios, one waterpark day, and magic kingdom for dinner at least 2 of the nights. Several people have told me we should plan two days for Epcot since it's like 2 separate parks. I'm not sure if we would want to spend much time on the world showcase as we've already been to many of the countries represented. Do most of the shows/activities seem tacky compared to the real thing, or would they still be enjoyable?

So should we keep our original plan, skip the waterpark and add an extra Epcot day, spend less time in MK, or get a cheaper hotel and add a fourth night?

Last edited:
Do you have any rest days built in, or feel that you need them? Will DD just want a nice pool day? Are you doing the Universal water park? Doing two days at any park really depends on your preferences. We usually skip water parks at Disney and do a resort day at the pool (no lines or busses) but that works for our family.

Having visited many of the countries in World Showcase only makes me enjoy Epcot even more. It is not necessarily authentic, and yes, some of it is downright cheesy, but it's Disney. We love the layout of World Showcase and I would do at least one day there. You could have DD talk to some of the CMs from the various countries about her travels there. If you have park hoppers that may help you manage your time.

As an aside, it looks like you visited AK on your last trip. Any reason you are skipping it this time?

We're doing Disney/Universal with DD who will be 10 at the time (only child). We were there once before when she was 6, I think we did a day and a half in magic kingdom, almost a full day in Epcot, and half days for the other two. This time we're planning to go to Universal first, and drive over to Disney in the morning so we'll have 3 full days as well as a half day at the end for Disney Springs. We were originally assuming 1 day each for Epcot and Hollywood studios, one waterpark day, and magic kingdom for dinner at least 2 of the nights. Several people have told me we should plan two days for Epcot since it's like 2 separate parks. I'm not sure if we would want to spend much time on the world showcase as we've already been to many of the countries represented. Do most of the shows/activities seem tacky compared to the real thing, or would they still be enjoyable?

So should we keep our original plan, skip the waterpark and add an extra Epcot day, spend less time in MK, or get a cheaper hotel and add a fourth night?

I would not skip a waterpark for an extra day in Epcot. You can get all of Epcot done in one day. Besides, the waterpark will be way more fun.

My daughter has never been fond of Epcot. I would keep that as only one day.

I too think that only 1 day at EPCOT is more than enough for your trip. We love EPCOT - but if I only had 3 days - I wouldn't do EPCOT for two of them.

I cannot understand why you are not considering Animal Kingdom. It is a wonderful park for a 10 YO. I would skip a waterpark and go to DAK, and one in MK and one in Epcot. I am biased because Epcot is a favorite of my family, and my DGD loves it. I do not knwo when you are traveling, however in DHS, Toy Story Land is scheduled to open, and I would not want to skip that park either. So I guess I woudl need 4 days, skip a waterpark, and go to each park.

Hmmm, each family has different preferences. That being said, I would not opt for a waterpark day, but just use the pools instead. There are too many rides/attractions at each of the parks and I wouldn't want to skip any of the 4 parks. Given your world travels though, I would choose to go to Animal Kingdom & leave Epcot out entirely if I had to choose not to go to one of the parks. But really, add a 4th day & go to all 4 parks - it's worth it! One last thought, there are many better dinner options than at Magic Kingdom, with maybe the exception of Be Our Guest. I would explore elsewhere for dinner options - maybe Boma, Sanaa, Ohana (especially during Wishes viewing time), Cape May (if you like crab legs), or California Grill.

Hmmm, each family has different preferences. That being said, I would not opt for a waterpark day, but just use the pools instead. There are too many rides/attractions at each of the parks and I wouldn't want to skip any of the 4 parks. Given your world travels though, I would choose to go to Animal Kingdom & leave Epcot out entirely if I had to choose not to go to one of the parks. But really, add a 4th day & go to all 4 parks - it's worth it! One last thought, there are many better dinner options than at Magic Kingdom, with maybe the exception of Be Our Guest. I would explore elsewhere for dinner options - maybe Boma, Sanaa, Ohana (especially during Wishes viewing time), Cape May (if you like crab legs), or California Grill.

this is so true -- the dining options at MK are pretty blah compared to others on property.

I would also vote for just one day at Epcot. The water parks are pretty fun -- but I'm not sure if I'd skip animal kingdom for a water park. I'd be tempted to to get park hoppers and combine epcot/DHS into one day and water park/DAK into another day. That would allow you to sleep in a bit for the water park (they open at 10 am) and stay there until about 2 or 3 pm. Go back to the room and then hit up DAK after 5 pm. Flight of passage is the best ride on property, so i would try and score an evening FP for it. Sunset safari and then an evening ride on Everest would be a nice night!

I'd do dinner at Yak n Yeti.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter