$30,000 trip....what’s the best deal to maximize payment??

jjvos

Earning My Ears
I have a trip in June for my entire family. 15 people.

Total cost is $33,000 for all the rooms, meals and tickets.

Any suggestions as to how I can maximize deals to pay for it?? I have all the cash on hand, but want to make a good deal.

Target, or Chase, etc....

Any suggestions as to how I can maximize deals to pay for it?? I have all the cash on hand, but want to make a good deal.

Find a credit card app that can maximize cash back. Could get as much 6% back

I wouldn't count on Disney giving you anything. They don't have to. They know your coming so why give you anything.

Send them a link to your offsite hotel reservation. Between that and being able to eat offsite, that's probably $20,000+ of that.

Or your reservation at Universal. lol

Supposedly, they gave us a deal. Lol

Just curious, but did you price offsite? I know that may not be desirable for the group, but it would have to be a 5 figure difference.

Did you work with a travel agent? Perhaps they could save you on the trip itself. I was just looking into the new Chase Debit card, which offers discounts on food and merchandise. You would have to look into it yourself for the exact benefits.

Yep, we worked with a travel agent. Got a small discount. We are blowing it out at the Grand Floridian, club level, with the top meal plan. If there’s a way to save a few bucks while I’m paying cash for the trip, it would be a little bonus.

Not a huge savings but my first thought is that you could choose between Club Level and top meal plan. They are both great but I don't think you'll maximize the club with the meal plan you've chosen

To answer your actual question and not suggest ways to save on what you already have planned and are obviously comfortable with. It all depends on what you want to get out of it and what credit cards you already have or are willing to sign up for. I see that as a few MSR's for you and a spouse/partner/etc if you have one. Earn some sign up bonuses to use for future travel or a cash back card to earn more. Use it to get a free night from a card or status at a hotel or airline if you travel enough.

If you are just looking to save money, then the target debit or credit will save you 5%, not much. If you have credit cards, you mention chase, check the offers but it'll often take longer this way because they limit how much the total purchase is. Sure you can save 10% but it's only off 40 bucks.

If you want help with potential credit cards or maximizing the cards you have visit us on the I love credit cards thread, we're a welcoming, not judgey group that will have a few options I'm sure.

You CAN say no when they ask you if you want something. lol

I think you can save a ton of money not getting the meal plan. Do the math on what you pay for that and see if you think you'll actually eat that much food. That's a lot of time tied up for sit down meals and a lot of food every day.

If you just want to pay ahead and not worry about it, or just want to say you got the best over everything, so be it. But at that point you are past the point where you try to save a few bucks.

We take trips in this price range yearly. Disney never offers us any "deal" other than the current advertised promotion. We take smaller trips to Disney a few times a year as well and we've never been given so much as a free room upgrade. Make sure you're getting the current spring/summer room discount that runs until July9 if it applies to the rooms that you've booked. Other than that, be sure to use whichever of your credit cards offers the best cash back incentive, then immediately pay off the balance with the cash that you already have on hand.

Last edited:
given the current state of affairs with the corona virus and all the spectacular hotel, cruise line and airfare deals i've been constantly bombarded with every time i've gone on-line over the past 4 days (including but not limited to both wdw and dl and universal) i would call SALES and ask what kind of deal they would offer (i worked for a resort-sales staff has the power to negotiate while reservations does not). once a deal was done i would use a credit card that offered a bonus and max dollars back (my universal trip in december equated to just shy of 6% cash rewards on my credit card).

Not judging your choice to get the deluxe plan, but because you are new on the boards I just want to make sure you realize what you are buying into.

have you secured reservations for 15 people for 3 meals a day, every day of your vacation?
Is anyone in the group a Florida resident, dvc member, or annual pass holder?
How many Disney adults 10+? Kids 0-2,? kids 3-9?

Call Disney yourself and get a quote.

(Buyer beware and all. Since your TA is making a crap ton of money on this booking for a TA- you need to verify they’re getting you the best deal.)
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I work as a TA booking Disney. Make sure your TA has gotten you the best deal possible. Some TA's are in it only for themselves (we make commission on what you spend) and some will work your trip to get you the best deal possible (as if it were our own trip).

Aside from making sure you are getting the best deal from Disney, I'd consider credit card offers that may offset the cost (we have a wonderful thread to offer advice there). Target can save you a flat 5% with their redcard. That is the minimum savings you should settle for.

I totally believe you on the cost. I booked 16 people last March for 35k. They stayed at BLT and for that many people, with tickets and dining, it just adds up...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter