First off, I applaud you for taking on such a task. Not many people are willing to make such a cimmitment to achive their goals.

I once made a 3 and1/2 year commitment that was similar. It involved working fulltime during the day, teaching adult education 2 nights a week and taking coledge courses 3 nights a week. When things got rough, I just kept focusing on the goal. I wanted to finish my BA in Computer Science before I was 30. I had left school when I was 21 and returned when I was 26. I made it with 3 months to spare. There were a lot of times I wanted to quit, but I just kept telling my self that the only way to my goal was to stay the course. If I let up or took a break, my goal would not be possible and I just wasn't willing to give it up.In the end, the goal was worth the pain.

When it gets rough, remember why you are making the effort. Remember that everything worthwhile comes at a high cost and think about how good you will feel when you succeed. I have never regretted those 3 and 1/2 years. Whatever you are going for, if its important to you, it will be worth the price!

I am on one right now. Looks like I will meet it. My goal is to become a sign language interpreter full time and finish my interpreting classes. Have 2 more semsters to go after this one. Just sent my money to take the written test in March.
Set smaller goals but keep your eye on the big one.
Have another goal even after that one.
My goal is to have my national certification by age 60. I will be 55 on March 12 and I take my first interpreting exam (written test for state evaluation on March 7 in the luckiest place in the world Orlando) Yes I am going to Disney after I take the test!
Go for it. It is never too late to follow yor dreams.

Congrats on reaching your goal.. You deserve a BIG pat on the back!!! :)

Thanks, but it it wasn't as rough as it sounds. I was younger and single then, plus I was religous (no pun intended) about taking Sundays off to rest

That brings me back to one other point. Make sure you schedule in some regular recreation time. Knowing I could relax on Sunday made the whole thing a lot easier.

Being a project manager by trade, I couldn't help but give you my two cents :)

In project management, no matter how long the project we try to follow the 80 hour rule. Basically, break your goals into 80 hour task increments...that way you never get too far off of your intended results if things don't work out like you planned.

In this case, you probably wouldn't use the 80 hour rule literally. Just apply it figuratively. Once you've identified your final goal, break it into high-level sub-tasks or milestones that are easy to define, monitor, and achieve. The end goal might not seem so daunting if you are able to have milestone "wins" along the way.

Good luck!!!

I always tell my children "how do you eat an elephant?"
answer one bite at a time!...break your goal down into small goals where you can "see" some successes...

Write in a journal why you are doing this...make up a board and put up positive sayings and hang it in your laundry room or closet so you can see it every day...

REWARD yourself too...even if it is taking a bubble bath with candles or something but treat yourself !

I too had a goal to finish school after leaving 16 years previously!...but I was working and also serving in a very time consuming position in my church plus having my family, one DH , 3 kids and one car!...but I did it and what an accomplishment it was too for someone who was terrified of doing what she did the first time she went to college! (flunked out!)

Good luck to you~
Holycow

I'd find some way to break it down into small goals
so you could reward yourself along the way say every 6 months or every year & do something to celebrate at each mile stone
I can't go 5 years for the celebration to short minded I guess
I'm trying to work out a 5-6 month plan right now of things I have to accomplish and I'm struggling with it
I need to eat my veggies first
I went to a time management seminar where the guy said you have to do your most difficult task(s) first off they are veggies no putting them aside for later
so get to your veggies and hope the rest comes easier
oh and also he was big on lists or organizers - he said if you wrote everything down it freed your mind up for other things besides what you have to do
it really does kinda work

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter