34-Year-Old Man Who Died After Getting Coronavirus Had Visited Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don’t understand why disney need to do more than what they did. They are not liable. Like we’ve said he could’ve got it anywhere and any others could’ve had it at WDW. Why do we need to know everything about this one person?
It's not a question of strict liability. Disney should be better than that.
As for the rest, that's a meaningless excuse and ultimately self-defeating. We do not just throw our hands up and say oh well, you can catch it anywhere. Testing is still limited. Identifying lines of transmission is still vital. Anyone who was in proximity to this guy could benefit from this info. Health authorities could benefit from this info. This is more related to where he was staying and where the conference was, and this may or may not be at WDW.
In the broader picture like I said there are definitely people who could benefit from having the warnings and precautions driven home by organizations stepping up and sharing those warnings based on these facts.
Best response would be a public statement from Disney acknowledging at least one visitor to the parks (and hotel if applicable) has had this result, giving info and warning all past guests of the standard precautions and measures. I'm guessing something similar will be in their next announcement regarding operating dates.

As for the rest, that's a meaningless excuse and ultimately self-defeating. We do not just throw our hands up and say oh well, you can catch it anywhere. Testing is still limited. Identifying lines of transmission is still vital. Anyone who was in proximity to this guy could benefit from this info. Health authorities could benefit from this info.

Health authorities already have the information I'm sure and have already done tracing and tracking.

People who were in proximity doesn't matter anymore because at this point they either have symtoms or they are fine.

Again why are you not demanding such detailed itenreries in the public for every single person who is affected? Why just this one?

Health authorities already have the information I'm sure and have already done tracing and tracking.

People who were in proximity doesn't matter anymore because at this point they either have symtoms or they are fine.

Again why are you not demanding such detailed itenreries in the public for every single person who is affected? Why just this one?
Why are you so determined to blow this one off and forget about it? I don't know of any case in my province where somebody was likely symptomatic, attended such a huge public gathering and there was not public follow up. So around here at least there has been no need to ask for such details by the public.
Re health authorities, I quoted the response from the Florida officials. Did not sound encouraging but hopefully they have done more.

Re people who were in proximity, no, it still matters. People can contract the virus, have minimal symptoms and still be communicable.

As for the rest, that's a meaningless excuse and ultimately self-defeating. We do not just throw our hands up and say oh well, you can catch it anywhere. Testing is still limited. Identifying lines of transmission is still vital. Anyone who was in proximity to this guy could benefit from this info. Health authorities could benefit from this info. This is more related to where he was staying and where the conference was, and this may or may not be at WDW.
In the broader picture like I said there are definitely people who could benefit from having the warnings and precautions driven home by organizations stepping up and sharing those warnings based on these facts.
Best response would be a public statement from Disney acknowledging at least one visitor to the parks (and hotel if applicable) has had this result, giving info and warning all past guests of the standard precautions and measures. I'm guessing something similar will be in their next announcement regarding operating dates.
Disney doesn’t need to say anymore and I don’t think they need to either. They acknowledged it in a statement and that’s that. You aren’t going to get more.

Why are you so determined to blow this one off and forget about it? I don't know of any case in my province where somebody was likely symptomatic, attended such a huge public gathering and there was not public follow up. So around here at least there has been no need to ask for such details by the public.
Re health authorities, I quoted the response from the Florida officials. Did not sound encouraging but hopefully they have done more.

Re people who were in proximity, no, it still matters. People can contract the virus, have minimal symptoms and still be communicable.
I don’t think anyone is blowing this off but at the same time we don’t need all the information. They don’t give you the entire life timeline of each person dying from this so why should this one man be any different.

I don’t think anyone is blowing this off but at the same time we don’t need all the information. They don’t give you the entire life timeline of each person dying from this so why should this one man be any different.
No, we don't need all the information. We don't need the entire life timeline. We do need the details of where they were when they were communicable if they were in a public place that hosts thousands of visitors. That is useful. And if they were at a hotel, I'm sure anyone who was at that hotel or conference would like to know, without a doubt. And you can't get all that from a guest list. You know that's true. Any parent especially would be desperate for that info and outraged if it was not shared with them. And here we are.

Disney has given any information asked for by health care workers to them. They are not going to publically post a minute by minute intenerary of the guy. We know the same as we do for other people that were at conferences and that is that he was at the confernece, at disney, and at universal. We don't know what conference but that isn't on disney.

Stuff like what hotel people were at has not been made public for any victim. Why this one?

Disney has given any information asked for by health care workers to them. They are not going to publically post a minute by minute intenerary of the guy. We know the same as we do for other people that were at conferences and that is that he was at the confernece, at disney, and at universal. We don't know what conference but that isn't on disney.

Stuff like what hotel people were at has not been made public for any victim. Why this one?
Again, because other people were at that hotel, presumably. Lots of em.

That goes for any person infected. Let's say he stayed at the Poly (not that it matters), but there could've been someone infected and not known it who was staying at Pop Century. Any information that was necessary would be known by the family, and the health department. If the health department felt the public needed to know more information than given they would release it. They are not releasing any less info on this man than any other person that has passed from this virus. I understand he was at Disney and that is scary to many but at the same time it's scary to anyone at the convention, airport, and any other place people who have been infected at have been. We do not need to keep going on about this one person more than any other person. Follow your local, state and federal guidelines regarding this virus, there is no need to keep going on about this person.

And so why are names of hotels not being given out for everybody who is infected who was at a hotel? Instead of focusing on this guy shouldn't you be suggesting we should be giving out this infromation for everybody?

After reading different news articles, some thoughts on this:
1. The details, timeline and travel info are all based on the family's Facebook posts. I can find no independent confirmation of any of this. The hospital confirmed a death from the virus on that day of a person of similar age and home location but gave no other details. So we don't really know much of anything at this point. Otherwise no officials have commented on any of this afaik.
2. We don't know where the conference was. Don't know if it was on property or not.
3. The parks were open for two days after he was diagnosed. But that's based on the timeline from the family FB posts. So we don't know how reliable that time line was. We don't know how soon anyone notified Disney or if they were notified at all before closure.

So unless somebody finds other info that's all we got. Imho Disney should be commenting on this. Their silence on this and the closure dates has been ridiculous.

Disney has no obligation to say anything else on the matter until either it’s proven he got the virus at the parks (which won’t happen) or if its shown that others contracted the virus at the parks (which hasn’t happened). Until then there’s no need to admit liability or say anything really past what they’ve already said.

Because some of us were on property that week. That’s why,
One more time, assume you were exposed. This is one person, but I GUARANTEE you there were MANY more that had the virus that were there. They were asympomatic. Just go ahead and quarantine yourself for the 14 days you were there. Also, ANYTIME you are out in public and close to ANYONE you have been exposed. Just the nature of the beast.

We went overseas and have had something. We can't get tested. Our middle one who was in NO was tested and got negative for flu. Wouldn't test for Covid. Don't think it was COVID because he recovered really quickly, but who knows. When you look to see the symptoms of people that were officially diagnosed they are all over the map: fever, no fever, cough, no cough, body aches, sore throat... That is what makes this virus personally frustrating for me. It seems to manifest differently in different people.

The bottom line is isolate yourself as you can. Stay home as much as you can. It is all you can do. Do not spend anymore time worrying about exactly where this guy was. The person who filled up the car before you at the gas pump could have it. You just don't know right now.

Disney has no obligation to say anything else on the matter until either it’s proven he got the virus at the parks (which won’t happen) or if its shown that others contracted the virus at the parks (which hasn’t happened). Until then there’s no need to admit liability or say anything really past what they’ve already said.
Besides, it's difficult to know exactly where and when he got the disease, other than the fact he probably caught it sometime between the airport, going to WDW, UOR and going home.
The bottom line is isolate yourself as you can. Stay home as much as you can. It is all you can do. Do not spend anymore time worrying about exactly where this guy was. The person who filled up the car before you at the gas pump could have it. You just don't know right now.
Exactly. We in the UK are already being encouraged to 'socially distance', yet some people are stupidly ignoring advice and flocking to beauty hotspots in Cornwall, Wales and Scotland, which is ridiculous because those areas have much smaller hospitals that cannot handle the same amount of people as all the London hospitals combined, and since these areas also have a lot of older residents (thus high risk), it would end up being disastrous.

They DID release a statement to the family though and followed it up saying they’re continuing to monitor all activity from the CDC closely. I don’t really know what else anyone needs more than that for except to feed into the already exuberant paranoia.

Also, for the 8,000th time he was in Florida for a work conference. He was at the parks and Universal for his last tacked on days. Very good chance he never stepped foot in a Disney resort.

I have a hard time understanding why that man and any others would have gone to WDW to begin with. We had a ban of flights coming in from China. Orlando had international citizens flying in and then public were packing the themeparks. I have medical background and knew in January that it had a strong possibility of becoming a pandemic. Now people are worrying about planned trips in June, which is highly unlikely. This is going to take months if not years to recover. Even if the virus stopped today. Our world is forever changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter