~449 days to fantasize about the “fantasy” ~ photos added

lillygator

DIS Veteran
~449 days to fantasize about the “fantasy” ~ a pre~cruise planning and trip report aboard the december 10th 2016 fantasy~

are you shaking your head in “dis” belief, wondering if you could possibly be reading that title right?

449 days?

as in one year and eighty four days?

yep ~ 449 days until our next Disney cruise!! And this girl can’t wait……

as most “dis”ers know, dcl is far different than any other cruise line for many reasons, but mainly, in order to get the best rate, one must book practically the first day of the booking window opening.

thus the reason for 449 days to plan or agonize over what should be a relaxing week off!

here’s our carlin crew:

charming ~ my wonderful and very patient dear husband. poor guy had only been to disney world once or twice as a kid….I did ease him in with a trip to pleasure island when we first started dating. wow, that sounds loaded! in all seriousness, we loved hanging out there ~ why does everything need to be family friendly these days?? I really dislike what downtown disney has turned into. he loves disney – but loves the cruises more!

kungaloosh!

v ~ me! THE planner, or maybe obsessor! avid disney fan since I was a child, usually had annual passes and have been going to the parks since before I can remember.

2198_1090644151601_6641_n.jpg

pumpkin sam ~ 12, almost 13 – on halloween! plays softball, volunteers after school at boys club and loves Disney as much as I do.

cheerchickhaley ~ 10 ~ as the name implies, a cheerleader who spends six nights a week in the gym and also an avid disney lover.
4564_1154404225563_4394745_n.jpg

this was the last cruise we went on!

11108861_10206809011929149_5972918509960295989_n.jpg

them now....

we’ve been on five disney cruises aboard the magic and wonder, including a fifteen night sail on the westbound panama canal and a double dip at castaway cay – even getting to watch a shuttle launch at night from the port as well as watch a nuclear sub go through the panama canal in front of our ship thus we could not get any photos of the ship from the hired helicopter. We are gold castaway club members, well, ahem, 3 of us are ~ that would be charming, v and pumpkin sam…since our first cruise was when she was eighteen months old and cheerchickhaley wasn’t around yet, she is still a silver!

2198_1090644471609_8456_n.jpg

this was awesome, the captain stayed in port to watch this!!
1927760_1100380715009_2909324_n.jpg

even better!!

but that also means the newest addition to the carlin darlin’s is not even a castaway club member yet.

gasp, the horror!!

yes folks, we are now a party of five….FIVE!

in terms of dcl that just means hand in your wallet and all future paychecks!

master gj~ 4 ~ loves walt disney world and can’t wait to get on the “boat”!
11951403_10207515793398244_3342937585432369256_n.jpg

our sweet boy!

also joining us ~ thebestgrandmainthewholeworldever!!!
hopefully she will chime in along the way.

ironically, our second cruise was the exact same dates on a western and we upgraded at the port to a concierge one bedroom suite….talk about awesome!!!

i can safely say:

that.will.never.happen.again.

here's some photos...
IMG_0231.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0231.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

the reason we have not cruised in so long is mainly the PRICE. dcl has just gotten outrageous! but don’t want to dwell on that since I have a cruise to plan peeps!

i’ve been on the dis for years but have avidly avoided the cruise section since we didn’t have one planned. imagine the shock once I did reach back into the dcl threads!

good night nurse nickel, so much has changed!

~no more bringing aboard alcohol (well, limited) – arrrgghh!

~no more baskets from Shirley!! boooo

~hot tubs closing at 10pm ----- wowza, we have late dining so I guess charming and I will not get to enjoy them at night.

~no more smoking on verandahs – yeah!!! a good change.

~no more over the door hangers – ugh!

~no more taking things to guest services for signatures - (added) luckily we have a matte and a few pillowcases already, this was a nice feature though.

~no more Flying Dutchman at Castaway Cay ~ was a great backdrop for photos, and we did jet ski around it, so cool!
4564_1155408210662_2711482_n.jpg
4564_1155410530720_42109_n.jpg

Oh well, we’ll figure it all out.

I am just excited to get planning and researching for this cruise!

all aboard!

Last edited:
~447 to go~

woke up this morning to find “disney cruise line: reimagined magic” on tlc! How perfect!! cheerchickhaley is watching with me and keeps asking “do you have to pay for that?” when seeing the ice cream and restaurants…..well, yes, up front you are paying for it, but no, onboard its “free”. even though this is about the magic, it is fun to watch and keeps the excitement going.

our sailing is a western caribbean, itinerary c ~ also a “very merrytime cruise

saturday ~ december 10 ~ port canaveral

sunday ~ december 11 ~ at sea

monday ~ december 12 ~ cozumel 8:15 to 4:45

tuesday ~ december 13 ~ grand cayman 10:30 to 5:30

wednesday ~ december 14 ~ falmouth, jamaica 7:30 to 4:45

thursday ~ december 15 ~ at sea

friday ~ december 16 ~ castaway cay 8:30 to 4:45

saturday december 17 ~ port canaveral 7:30

we have been to all these ports except for falmouth – we honeymooned in Jamaica, so very much looking forward to going back there. I see only one bad thing with this itinerary – only TWO sea days!! ugh, limited palo brunches…so being online early to book is a must do. charming is known for his ability to open and close palo brunch.

I know the port adventures can change, but have been researching all the fun things to do. prior, we always ran into the issue of having children under 5,so more often than not, we booked port adventures on our own. for the most part, it seems master gj would be allowed on most but the jamaican ones seem to be age 6.

After watching the tlc special, we went out and hit the dollar tree – and SCORED…they had glo sticks, necklaces and bracelets for 0.50. picked up lots to hand out on pirate night. also started picking up Disney stuff for fe gifts…

Last edited:
Sounds great! It will be here before you know, enjoy the fun planning! I would love to do a 7nt one day, have only done Bahamas and DVC Member Cruises.
I didn't realize you couldn't bring anything to guest services anymore for signatures? I must've missed that notice.

Sounds great! It will be here before you know, enjoy the fun planning! I would love to do a 7nt one day, have only done Bahamas and DVC Member Cruises.
I didn't realize you couldn't bring anything to guest services anymore for signatures? I must've missed that notice.

It's been a while since our last cruise, so being back on the cruise forum is very helpful, but my how things change!! You can still have the characters sign things, but you have to lug it around!! Someone posted their pillowcase and they carried it around with a clipboard to be signed. I gotta say, I am impressed...I don't think I want the extra work!

~yo ho, yo ho, 437 days to go~

In case you didn’t already know, dcl has a cool app you can download which displays your cruise countdown. it’s a blessing and a curse all on its own! Thankfully pumpkinsam is very techie and got it all set up on my phone for me, it’s available for both apple or android.

once you board and connect to the ship wi-fi, it will act as your personal navigator, giving you touch of the finger access to character experiences, deck parties, live entertainment, live shows, ports of call, spa services, etc.

knowing v, I still will want the old school paper navigators to write on, highlight, etc. they are good for scrapbooking too, should I ever take up scrapbooking.

so although we have been on a western itinerary before, a new port to us is falmouth. I thought a good way to start research is with the port adventures. from our previous cruises I have a spreadsheet template that I just need to update.

first things first – getting all the Cozumel adventures into that worksheet and distributing to the family members (able to read) for them to choose their favorite…

our first port is cozumel…

now having been here before, we rented a jeep and organized a “dis”jeep tour with many of the friends I have met on the disboards in previous cruise meets threads.

“take what you can……

echo, crickets….???

ummm, any thieves around?

We rented the jeeps locally and had no issues. now, there are too many choices and I know my family will want to do 6 different things.

thebestgrandmaintheworldever has expressed interest in zip lining, me not so much, after reading about the 24 year old georgia student who had all four limbs amputated after getting cut on a zip line and getting flesh eating bacteria here in the states.

I am not usually so paranoid, but working in the health care field, I have seen several patients with this same flesh eating bacteria, and while it is usually people with compromised immune systems and other issues and can happen to ANYONE with open wounds in any water…I am just a little skeeved on the whole thing.

yes, skeeved.

~reading this back, I realize I should be starting with the night before the cruise~but hey, port adventures are always exciting.

hi ho, hi hoedown ~ only 413 left to go! (gotta love that app!) until we see this!!
IMG_5703.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_5703.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]Ahhh life ~ got the dreaded phone call from daycare that master gj had a fever and needed to be picked up. As I arrived they were putting up a sign on his classroom door that someone had been diagnosed with the flu two days prior!!

Arrgghh!!

So a quick trip to the doctor ~ in the little mermaid room, no less ~ and a script for his cough and we were on our way to publix. Popsicles, monkey yogurt’s, and watermelon flavored cough syrup later, we are back home and he is fast asleep.

Since he can’t return to school for 24 hours fever free, that means a mommy and gj day home alone….or “just you and me mamma, right” as he would say.

And while I should be cleaning, I am exhausted and taking a break while he is sleeping. Watching a movie while browsing the “dis”boards, etsy and cruise critic.

um (embarrassingly) said movie is the Hannah montana movie ~ I never knew taylor swift was in this!!

Boom boom clap, boom de clap de clap….

Pop.it.it.lock.it.polka.dot.it.countrify.it.then.hip.hop.it.put.your.hawk.in.the.sky.move.side.to.side.jump.to.the.left.stick.it.glide.zig.zag.across.the.floor.shuffle.in.diagonal.when.the.drum.hits.hands.on.your.hips.one.footed.180.twist.then.a.zig.zag.step.slide.lean.it.left.clap.3.times.shake.it.out.head.to.toe.throw.it.all.together.thats.how.we.roll.

What the heck happened to her??

Never mind, back to planning….I made my cruise binder, in “dis”lime green of course, so far with just tabs of each port. And started my to do list.

A very long list.

But today I am researching Cozumel.

On our prior visit we rented a jeep and toured the island, including a visit to the restaurant on the highest point.

Coconuts

Very interesting to say the least.

May not be everyone’s cup of tea, but it was fun, had great views and we even wrote on the wall. Would love to go back and see if it is still there.
2198_1090644431608_8150_n.jpg

can you guess which is ours?

We are in port 8:15 to 4:45, so if we do anything that was long I would definitely book through dcl, otherwise I plan to book privately.

Dcl offers so many excursions in this port. Below encompass ones that would include the entire family ~ interesting there are some that cut off at age 65…what the what?

Grandmas can’t Segway after age 65?

I hate having to choose, I want to do it all! Here’s what I highlighted:

all
4.5-5
$62/$72
Cozumel Beach Break
25 min ride a/c bus to Playa Mia Grand Beach and Water Park
buffet and open bar included
non motorized water sports and slides included
4 hours to play then back to ship

all
4-4.5
$ 1,099.00
Cozumel Private Beach Catamaran
up to 10 guests ~ 109.90 pp
snorkeling, paddle boarding and kayaking
lunch/drinks included
30 min sail back to pier

all
4-4.5
$39/$59
Cozumel Ruins and Beach Tour
35 min a/c bus ride to ruins of San Gervasio
60 min to explore ruins
45 min ride around island to beach club
beach time, non motorized activities included
20 min return to pier
one bottle h20 included, food/drink avail for purchase

The private catamaran sounds awesome…

3+
3-3.5
$89/$112
Dolphin Discovery Cozumel
5 min walk to taxi, 20 min drive to Chankanaab Park
40 min dolphin interaction then time to explore park
no food included, bring $$ for photos etc
*also available as observer
*other dolphin tours available at Dolphinarius

all
4.-4.5
$40/$62
Eco Park and Snorkel
35 min open air ride to Punta Sur Ecological Park
crocodiles, lighthouse, maritime mueseum, ruins
90 min to explore park then 60 min beach or snorkel time
must be 5 to snorkel
does not say if drinks/food are included/available

4+
3-3.5
$20/$55
Everybody Loves Rays!
15 min taxi transfer to beach, 30 min pet stingray
60 min beach at Seaside Club one drink included
taxi back to ship or downtown, if downtown, you are
responsible to get yourself back to the ship
Ehh, I think stingray city would be better so I can probably rule this out.

5+
3-3.5
$33/$60
Fury Catamaran Sail, Snorkel and Beach Party
short walk on pier to board the catamaran
20 min sail to snorkel site, 40 min to snorkel
sail to private beach, soft drinks, beer, margaritas avail
90 minutes of beach/water park
This normally gets good reviews.

5+
7-7.5
$115/$135
The Secret River by Playa Del Carmen
45 min ferry ride to Playa Del Carmen
10 min walk to ride 30 min a/c bus to Secret River
90 min to explore caves
30 min back to Playa Del Carmen w/45 min shopping
45 min ferry ride back to pier
can't take jewelry or cameras in caves
must be physically fit
This looks amazing, not sure how the five year old would fair.

HI!! I am loving your pre-trip report so far! I am booked on same cruise along with 16 other family members! This will be my second Disney cruise but first on the fantasy. I am beyond excited and already trying to plan everything! We are coming down from Canada! Keep the updates coming... Maybe the time will go by faster! Lol

HI!! I am loving your pre-trip report so far! I am booked on same cruise along with 16 other family members! This will be my second Disney cruise but first on the fantasy. I am beyond excited and already trying to plan everything! We are coming down from Canada! Keep the updates coming... Maybe the time will go by faster! Lol
welcome!!

are you going to participate in the fish extenders? we have a facebook group as well.

I am debating the fish extenders! It sounds like fun but I'm not very crafty....
Do you usually use Disney transfers or car rental to get to port? Trying to decide how to get there as we will either be at Disney before and universal after..

I am debating the fish extenders! It sounds like fun but I'm not very crafty....
Do you usually use Disney transfers or car rental to get to port? Trying to decide how to get there as we will either be at Disney before and universal after..
since we live in Florida, we just drive to the port. We have stayed at hotels in Port Canaveral and used their shuttle services before with no issues.

My mom wants to use her points for a PC hotel, I kind of would like to splurge and stay Friday night at a Magic Kingdom hotel and do the Merry Christmas Party. Fish Extenders are such fun - you don't have to be crafty at all!!

~yo ho, yo ho, 437 days to go~

In case you didn’t already know, dcl has a cool app you can download which displays your cruise countdown. it’s a blessing and a curse all on its own! Thankfully pumpkinsam is very techie and got it all set up on my phone for me, it’s available for both apple or android.

What app are you referring to? Ds8 would love a countdown. He keeps,asking me the date ove and over. :)

closer
closer
closer....we are getting CLOSER!

~~178 days to go~~

hard to believe school is out and summer is HERE! well, summer weather has been here for quite a while now. we've even had our first tropical storm (thanks colin) pass through.

we now have two middle schoolers (come august) and mastergj just moved up to the last classroom in the childcare...sniff, sniff....my babies are growing up! where does the time go?

anyhoo, getting back to the ever important cruise....we are actually arriving into port canaveral on friday, december 9th. for our disney cruise eve we are staying at:

radisson resort at the port

8701 astronaut blvd
cape canaveral, fl 32920

reserved we have a two room suite which includes parking, cruise shuttle and breakfast! I'm not a breakfast person but my two hangry peeps ~ charming and pumpkinsam ~ will very much appreciate it. they are monsters without breakfast, I mean monsters!! the trick to charming is keeping that belly full!

the reviews on trip advisor are generally good - nice rooms, nice pool, which is heated and open year round, but some reviews of the shuttle concern me. we are booked for the first shuttle but if I see any issues I have no problem getting a cab. check in is not until 3pm but I plan on checking in as soon as we arrive and heading out and about.

my plan is...have the car packed on thursday night, wake up, get ready, jump in the car and go! (I just realized I forgot the kids have school, they'll have to work all that out with their teachers, since the week we get back they go on break for 2 weeks.....hmmm)

what will actually happen~charming will put the last of the luggage in the car in the morning, everyone will be clamoring around the house getting ready and bouncing off the walls eager to get on our way....actually hitting the road by 11 or 11:30. driving directions are at almost three hours since we live on the opposite coast of florida. yikes!

at any rate, I am relieved that the hotel is booked....now on to dinner!!

there are quite a few places close by:
fishlips reservations for parties of 12 or more
rusty's seafood looks like they redid their website ~ a little more upscale that before??
grills seafood and tiki bar

we'll probably end up at one of those, plan on asking my facebook group if anyone wants to meet up to kick off the journey!

next up, more excursion research!

~warning, obsessive cruise planning post….subject to change~

pre-cruise planning:

→book disney cruise eve hotel ~ done, marriot resort at the port

→book shuttle to the port ~ done, first shuttle 10am

→arrange for parking/port parking ~done, included in resort stay

→renew passports/apply for grady’s passport

→order fish extender gifts

→research and book excursions

cozumel

grand cayman

falmouth

castaway cay

→purchase cruise photo package from www.mycruisephotos.com

→rent tux for formal night from www.cruiselineformal.com

→order cruise amenities from www.disneycruiseline.com

Iron horse brut fairy tale cuvee champagne $55

gifts for the kids/stateroom gifts

→online booking opens: august 27, 2016 (TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

palo brunch

palo dinner

ana and elsa meet and greet

disney junior meet and greet

castaway cay jet ski tour

→pre-pay gratuities

Wow, last update was the beginning of the summer; this update brings us to the end of summer as the kids are wrapping up their first week of school today.

First week of 8th, 6th and Pre~k!! So far so great - all three are loving school but I am sure by the time the cruise rolls around they will be ready for a break.

As far away as the cruise had seemed, it is creeping up on us fast now.

Soon we will be in double digits!!!

Our online booking window opens up on the 27th (MIDNIGHT), since we are gold castaway club members.

online booking has me forever traumatized....one year (can't recall which one) there were many of us DIS members (all across the country) up to do online booking and back then the avatar thingie that played while the screen was refreshing was a scuba diving mickey swimming through a school of fish....we.must.have.broken.dcl......

we saw that for HOURS!

it was so painful and I am very worried for tonight, not for that reason but just getting in and being able to book what we want!

According to my facebook crew, the cabanas have all been booked by platinum members…not that we really need one – but I was kinda hoping. No problem, more to spend on other things!

My wish list is (and where to find them on the dcl site):

Cabana – port adventures castaway cay

Palo brunch - dining

Palo dinner (anniversary dinner) - dining

Meet and greets – on board fun

Junior breakfast – on board fun

Jet ski adventure

Hoping to get an early port arrival time and to sign up the kids for the online check in.

Cue drum roll…..’cuz now we are officially…..

PAID IN FULL!!

It’s getting real now ya’ll!

Good luck!

Let us know how it goes.

If you can, do you mind giving me an idea when the meet and greets are scheduled? I'll be trying to get all three (princess, frozen, and breakfast,) but the planner in me wants to have a mental game plan.

We started JK this week too. DD is having fun but tonight was a study in overstimulation.

Best of luck with your booking tonight! We'll be doing the same itinerary in January 2017 so my planning is just a little bit behind yours. Which excursions did you select?

the booking was actually ok, I was logged in via my phone and didn't take long to get finished. Of course the cabanas were gone but I got everything else I wanted and the days and times I wanted. an a sea day we have a mixology class at 2pm so I did the frozen and princess meet and greets back to back right before mixology. I chose the grand cayman day for the disney junior breakfast, it will get us moving and we can leave the ship until 10 anyway. all of my excursions are through other companies and they have been booked for a while now.
the breakfast is around 8-10 sea days

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!