Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

I like those. They look like retro Oakley’s. Love the lenses.

Thanks! I was never an Oakley's person, so I did not make that connection at all, but cool.

The Pasos are my favorite pair I have.

I remember you saying that you liked them, which is one of the reasons I was considering them. I'm just a little worried because the lenses are bigger than on the classics (which are a little bigger than my old sunglasses, I think).

--

So ... I like them, but I don't need them. I dunno. I have like 5 minutes to make the decision before bedtime.

Also ... I get to sleep in tomorrow. I got into the barre3 class I was on the waitlist for, so no run tomorrow. I'm happy for the unplanned day off, but also worried that I'm going to be mad at myself for not running. Sigh.

Also ... Othello is way too long of a play.

Edit: Also ... we sat in the back row (don't get me started on ticket distribution at Shakespeare in the Park) and there wasn't enough room between me and the row in front of me and I may have tweaked my knee a bit.

Update: I do not need three pairs of sunglasses (4 if you count my old ones). I will wait until the next free sunglasses (which may never happen again). Instead I will spend the money on something fun at Disney. Also ... I need new capris, so I really have better use for that money.
I assume I will regret the decision for several days. But the INKnBURN shirt I bought and then returned popped into my head ... I don't need to impulse buy things. If I need it, I can buy it. If not, no buy. I need to be responsible adult Sarah, not fun Sarah.

Last edited:
There are a TON of cute capris on Lululemon.com under "We Made Too Much" that are a great price! I've started swapping out my workout attire for Lululemon when it's on sale and I'm very happy with the quality.

There are a TON of cute capris on Lululemon.com under "We Made Too Much" that are a great price! I've started swapping out my workout attire for Lululemon when it's on sale and I'm very happy with the quality.

I have a little bit of a personal issue with lululemon because like 5 years ago I went into a lululemon store and they barely had anything in my size (and I'm pretty sure the size I wore at the time is still the biggest size they sell), and I was more than a little unhappy. Between that and some of the idiot stuff the founder or CEO or whatever said a few years ago about their clothing not being for certain people, I kinda see it as a brand that's not for me. Even though I know I'm being a little weird and a lot of people love their stuff.

I'll probably just end up getting something from Old Navy, because while their stuff isn't the absolute best quality, it still lasts (I can get at least 2-3 years out of a pair of old navy pants, maybe even more) and is comfortable. And relatively cheap.
I just have to find a pair that aren't some bizarre pattern that will look terrible with every skirt I own.

Garmin Vivoactive3: Thoughts

This isn't a formal review, because I'm sure it's missing all sorts of stuff. It's just some thoughts about the watch, how I use it, the data I get from it, and a few other things. (Also, it probably is a little disjointed because it was written in bits and pieces at work and on the train)

Ease of Setup
Box came with instructions, but mostly I just opened the app and did whatever seemed to make sense. I think. It didn't seem that hard to do the initial setup and get it up and running.

Customizability
I liked how easy it was to download things from the ConnectIQ store.
The first watch face I downloaded was World Face, which I deleted because it didn't have Israel (which is what I would have used), then a butterfly face that looked better on the computer than it did on the watch, and then the Countdown face recommended by Keels. Finally settled on using Face It to make custom watch faces. Started with Yankee Stadium, then made an Epcot (which wasn't very good), then made the Going to WDW one I currently use after booking that trip. Plan to change it daily on the trip (maybe).- Spent a little bit of time setting up all the data fields the way I wanted them for running and reorganizing my widgets (which I have not redone since my factory reset). I also downloaded a water logging widget, which I need to be better about using.

Daily Use
My original plan was to only get notifications during activity because my bluetooth is off most of the time anyway. I actually have the notifications on more often than I thought I would (although still not all the time). I like getting most of the notifications. I like that I can reply to text messages from the watch (although if it's a longer or more customized response, I have to take out the phone). But it gives me every single notification on my phone, even the ones that my phone doesn't make noise for, which can be annoying (especially because my phone thinks I care about Tigers games). And I don't like that it uses the same icon for every app except Garmin connect. I wish there was a way to know what the notification was from the icon.- It's significantly bigger than my old watch, but actually more comfortable. I used to take my watch off as soon as I got to work. This stays on almost all day.- The goal notifications are a little annoying sometimes. I should probably turn them off.

Running
Lots of thoughts about running. I'm still working out the kinks, but mostly, it does what I want it to do. It was easy to set up the data fields the way I wanted them. Easy to start. Not so easy to pause if I try to do it during an alert, so I have to wait for the alert to go away. But mostly it's fine. I've even gotten used to the vibrating (but I miss my warning beeps).

Let's talk about setting up workouts. I still haven't gotten that exactly where I want it. I'm pretty sure I can just use laps instead of miles for my warm up/cool down, which means I can use my regularly set up intervals (I'm testing this on Sunday, but I think it will work), but I have yet to figure out how to do repeats for anything other than # of repeats. So if I want to do warm up/cool down for 1 mi each with 60/30 intervals and 2 mi in the middle with 120/30 intervals I have to either calculate how many repeats that will be (and hope I'm right) or do 3 separate workouts. (And apparently when you say that in certain contexts people get *****y at you like they know exactly how you should do things and it doesn't matter that what they're saying doesn't fit the data you want to collect or how you want to do your runs. People are the worst. Especially on Facebook. (actually ... facebook is not even the worst in my office building. That's tumblr. But this happened on facebook))

I like the heart rate data. I dont know how to use it properly, but I think that when I do, it'll be a better barometer of effort than pace. In terms of GPS accuracy ... I haven't used it at the same as another device, so I don't know for sure, but it seems like the distances are fairly close to what I was getting from my other Garmin. So I'd say it's sufficiently accurate for my needs.

Barre3
I like that I can use it for exercises other than running! I use it during my barre3 classes and I love it. I have it set to a 3-data field screen, with the workout time, time of day, and heart rate (which is what's in the middle). It's perfect - I look down at heart rate all the time- I just wish it had barre or pilates as an actual option. It just thinks I'm doing a cleverly renamed yoga.

Sleep
I've only slept with it on a few times. The data seems to be somewhat similar to what I'm getting from my Fitbit. I like that it divides it up into REM, light sleep, deep sleep, and awake. My Fitbit doesnt do that (it just does asleep and awake/restless, and since I'm a restless sleeper, the numbers are ugly)

Issues I've Encoutered
  • It doesn't always connect to Bluetooth automatically. I don't know if this is a phone thing or a watch thing, but sometimes I have to open the app to connect to bluetooth, and sometimes even with the app open and the bluetooth on the phone can't find the watch. It's a little annoying/
  • This is probably a me thing, but I have issues removing it from the charger. I'm never sure if I properly ejected it.
  • I was having issues with notifications that I couldn't debug, so I did a factory reset. It's been fine since, but it made me realize exactly how much I customized the watch in that first week.

So ... those are some of my thoughts on the Vivoactive 3. Overall, I like it. It's not perfect, but it's good, and I'm glad I got it.

Things I have to do this week: (in no particular order)
1 - PACK! (I'm taking a carry-on only, so ... this will be extra fun)
2- Pedicure (maybe ... not really necessary since I'll be wearing sneakers in the park)
3 - Return the Uniqlo capris I bought (was gonna do this Friday, but I ended up staying at work late)
4 - Return my library books (I just renewed them, but once I finish the last one, I'd like to return them)
5 - Buy new running capris
6 - Finish adding all of our FP+ to my calendar (so that they show up on my watch)
7 - Not completely hate the idea of running 4 times in the next 7 days (tomorrow's gonna be extra not fun, I can tell already)

8 - Lots and lots of work. It's gonna be a busy work week for me.

Also ... just putting this out there. I'm not very excited about January. I don't think it's going to be a good trip. Which is why I'm glad I have this trip coming up so that I can do all the new things and not worry about whether I'm going to enjoy spending time in the parks in January. A solo trip was not my best idea, and while I'm sure there will be chances to hang with other people, I've learned that I don't do well in groups of new people either, so it's going to be really hard for me to find a place where I'm comfortable. But I'll survive.

Last edited:
**grumble grumble personal stuff that isn't relevant to anything but is still bugging me grumble grumble**
7 days to Disney! FP+ are all on my calendar now.
So that's 1 thing down, 7 to go (well, 6.75 ... one of the 4 runs is done)

EDIT: Also, I have 3 outfits. I will be at WDW for 5 days (plus travel day Friday, but I can wear whatever then ... I might bring my t-shirt from my dad's school for travel day).
Okay. Can I DisneyBound in clothing that won't make me die in the Florida heat/humidity?
There will be some brainstorming going on for the next few days.

Update to the edit: I remembered that I sent a shirt down with Beth. So I can wear that Monday. I think I have Tuesday and Wednesday figured out, and Thursday has been decided for a while now. So all that's left is Sunday.

Last edited:
No reason you can’t Disney bound! Cotton is your enemy during FL summers. It gets damp/wet and stays that way. Same goes for denim. I wear sweat wicking workout clothes when I go to the parks in the summer.

No reason you can’t Disney bound! Cotton is your enemy during FL summers. It gets damp/wet and stays that way. Same goes for denim. I wear sweat wicking workout clothes when I go to the parks in the summer.

I know it's possible. The question is more whether I have the clothing for it. Everything I own is cotton, so it's a matter of finding the most lightweight stuff.
(Yes, I have running clothing, but I dont wear that in public)

Last edited:
My barre3 instructor tonight (who also happens to be the studio manager) is a big fan of 4-letter words. I can't decide if I liked it or not. I am signed up for another class with him in 3 weeks, but that's because this slot fits my schedule best. If I decide that I don't like him, I'll switch to an earlier class.

Also ... I should have had a second cup of coffee today. I'm sleepy.

Also ... I gotta figure out what bottoms I'm bringing to Florida. Pretty much all I have is denim skirts, and while I love denim skirts ... they a) aren't usually super breathable, and b) will absorb all water on Splash Mountain (and during the 20-minute afternoon rainstorm) and never let go. So I have to see if there's something else I can throw in there just for a change one day.
Still trying to figure out tops too. Why is everything I own heavy cotton??

I hate packing for trips. Especially when weather is such a huge factor and I am so indecisive.

I am confused on how someone can and would want to incorporate 4 letter words into a workout like Barre. And this is coming from a Sailor with a potty mouth like no other.

I hate packing for trips. Especially when weather is such a huge factor and I am so indecisive.

Packing is the worst.

I am confused on how someone can and would want to incorporate 4 letter words into a workout like Barre. And this is coming from a Sailor with a potty mouth like no other.

It was a lot of "do whatever the *bleep* feels right" and "if [current movement] isnt working for you, *bleep* it and [modification option]." It kinda just seemed like his personality. I didnt mind it, it was just ... unexpected. And I dont know if it fits what I go there looking for.

It was a lot of "do whatever the *bleep* feels right" and "if [current movement] isnt working for you, *bleep* it and [modification option]." It kinda just seemed like his personality. I didnt mind it, it was just ... unexpected. And I dont know if it fits what I go there looking for.
That's so weird. Isn't Barre like slow and calming, kind of like yoga? That would annoy me.

That's so weird. Isn't Barre like slow and calming, kind of like yoga? That would annoy me.

Somewhat but not entirely. It has its higher intensity moments, but this was happening throughout. I guess four letter words can be calming if they're said in a soft tone of voice?

Capris are returned. And I ran this AM. So that's 2.5 down, 5.5 to go.

Had a bad day at work today. Only partially work, and partially just me having a bad day and it happened when I was at work. This vacation is either coming at the perfect time or going to be a huge problem. It's one of the two.

Other assorted thoughts:
- I can't figure out Garmin Pay. It looks set up on the phone, but the watch says my wallet is empty.
- Not sure how I feel about my Knockarounds. They're okay. They block out some of the sun (significantly more than my other sunglasses), but I still have some issues. They're not uncomfortable.
- Was going to order capris from JackRabbit, but the discount code they sent out isn't working for me. Probably doesn't apply to what I picked out. I don't think capris are happening before my trip, which means I won't be able to get them until mid to late July. Sigh. I also realized yesterday that I really can't put off this new sports bra situation for much longer, but the thought of that shopping really stresses me out.
- There was something else I was going to add but I forgot. Mondays, amiright? (Yes, I know it's Tuesday)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter