• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

5 in a room?

Kenbar

Mouseketeer
Hi to all the experts:D . Planning a trip for Sept/ Oct. we are a couple and three children ages 5,8, and 10. We expect to be out a lot so a super-duper room isn't necessary for us, neither are two rooms. So; my question is do the ordinary hotels (ie not suites)allow a 5th person in the room and if so do they charge?

Ken

Do you mean on-site Disney hotels? or off-site?
Onsite, most of the rooms do not, but there are a few that have the option of a trundle bed - I think Port Orleans is the only moderate, otherwise you have to get a deluxe.

The other options are 2 rooms at All-Stars, which can be cheaper depending on the rate you get,

off-site -

there are some off-site places that can accomodate 5, such as the Holiday Inn Family Suites (these can take 6 I think) or Sierra Suites which have 2 doubles and a sofabed.
In fact, I think you'd be able to get a roll-away bed at most off-site hotels.

Bev

Another on-site option worth checking is the Fort Wilderness Cabins which sleep 6.

We had a Kidsuite room at one of the Holiday Inns and that had a double bed and three bunks - it wasn't the newest of the HI Suite resorts, but it was clean and functional for the amount of time we spent in the room.

Hi Bev

sorry. should have told you. We will be off site on our next trip.

Kenbar

While there are hotels that would accommodate your party, it's going to be a real squeeze with 5 of you in a room. I would suggest you look at the cost difference of renting a villa for your family. While the accommodation might work out slightly more take into consideration the savings you can make on food costs, just eating breakfast at home instead of in a restaurant is probably going to save you $20-30 a day, buying drinks in the supermarket not at hotel or park prices will save probably the same amount again. Certainly the 5 year old, if not the other two, is going to have days where they are just shattered from the parks and will be ready for bed before the rest of you, in a house it means you and your partner ( and maybe the older kids) can sit up in your living room, watch TV, enjoy a quiet beer/glass of wine and chat over what you've done that day. It give you a chance of some quality time together and the kids all get a proper bed each (the importance of which shouldn't be underestimated LOL) .

While you say you don't plan on spending much time in your accommodation you will be sleeping there ( 8 hours a day) and it's going to take at least an hour for the 5 of you to get ready. I would say a reasonable guess is that 40% of your holiday is going to be in your accommodation, it's worth spending a little more on it, particularly if you can make savings in other areas (as suggested above) that will more than make up for it. JMHO

I agree with Vernon.

The savings to be made by catering for yourself in your accommodation are not to be underestimeated - especially when you have children.

A cheaper option than a villa would probably be a condominium such as Sweetwater in Kissimmee. We stayed there a few years ago and it was lovely. The apartments have 2 or 3 bedrooms I think with a Living room, Kitchen/Diner and a shared pool. There was a clubhouse too.

It is definately worth pricing up all your options, Kenbar, before you book a Hotel.

We stayed at the Poly for the last 5 days of our holiday last november, before that we had a 14 night stay in a villa which is what we usually do anyway. My honest opinion is that we would never stay in a hotel again unless it was only a couple of nights but NEVER for the whole duration. We too have 3 children but ours are a lot younger than yours at 2, 4 & 6 (nearly!).

I have to go along with Vernon and Sue, you may think you won't stay in the hotel room but in reality it's not always the case. If your lot are anything like mine, they'll want to watch a bit of telly when they get up in the morning (possibly earlier than you!) and that'll mean you'll be woken up in the morning earlier than you anticipated!! You won't get any privacy if you are all cooped up in the hotel room in the evening as you may not want to be out late every night as it get quite tiring.

There are loads of villa sites online and you can easily pick up a villa from £350 per week.

Just my thoughts......

From a die-hard Villa fan!! (No not the football club!!!)

Lisa

Definately go for a villa, I don't think you'll pay any more than for a hotel room. There are five of us and a hotel room is just too cramped for that many. Plus you're always trying to keep your kids quiet in case they disturb other guests.

Thanks everyone.
OK I'm convinced A villa it is then:D
I've been looking but the choice is bewildering:confused:
Any tips to narrow the field. Anything specifically to avoid. Thanks again folks:D

Ken

Ken,

We've stayed at villas in many locations now but we prefer to be close to Disney and the nearest developments to Disney are at Formosa Boulevard (I think this is the name of the Rd!). These developments are called

Rolling Hills
Formosa Gardens
Windsor Palm Resort (used to be called Wyndham Palm Resort)
Indian Creek
Oak Island Cove
If there are any more can someone let me know!!

We've stayed at Formosa Gardens and Rolling Hills and they were lovely houses. Another plus point is that you are literally 1 mile from Formosa Boulevard and all the shops and restaurants and you could walk it if you were feeling energetic!!! The shops and restaurants are

TGI Fridays
The Outback
Carrabas
Subway
Chinese & Indian takeaway
Goodings Supermarket
Drugstore (can't remember what it's called)
Giodanni's Overstuffed Pizzas
Mexican takeaway (can't remember)
plus loads of others.

There are loads of other developments which are a 10 - 15 minute drive away. We have also stayed at The Palms at Hampton Lakes which was also nice.

Here are a couple of websites you can try!!

Villa Websites

http://www.florida-villa.com/
http://www.1001-villa-holidaylets.com
http://www.privatevillas.co.uk
http://www.jmfloridavillas.com/
(I can personally recommend the above site as we stayed in both villas last year!)
http://www.villas2000.com/central/allkissvillas.html
http://www.elitevacations.co.uk/homes/category.asp?Country=USA_Florida
http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/
http://www.allstarvacationhomes.com/

http://www.vacationvillasonline.com
/
Also just use google and search for

Kissimmee villas
Florida vacation homes
Florida villas etc
Disney villas
disney vacation homes

Happy surfing!!!

Lisa

Hi Lisa

wow! Thanks for all the sites. I have a day off work tomorrow so loks like i'll be surfing all day!:D

I would definately want to stay not too far away from the parks. I know the kissimmee area a bit but I don't know where all the communities are. I figured that between splendid china and old town would be OK?
Are there any decent maps on line do you know?

thanks again
ken

Hi Ken,

The communities by Formosa are actually behind Splendid China. It's a great location only 2.5 miles from Disney.

Lisa

We are a family of five, and stayed onsite last year for our first Florida holiday, it really made the holiday. Port Orleans Riverside is the only Value/Moderate resort you can officially stay as 5. We managed to eat breakfast in our room, keep cereal and buy milk/bagels at the shop. BUY REFILLABLE mugs too!!

The best bit was not the room, but the surroundings, we spent a lot of time at the pool and hot tub at some point in the day, and that was easy to jump on a bus. Our youngest was 4, eldest 11. Getting into a car and negotiating traffic jams would have spoilt that, and the Disney resorts are a continuation of the parks anyway!! We just felt that a villa pool was so small in comparison, loved the lobby areas and shops etc.

By judicious planning it need not be more expensive. However, we are a camping family, and so don't mind a squash, it helps that our children are all girls too.

All in all, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, we would probably consider a villa if we went again, as it would be new for us, and we know our way around a bit better now!!

Hi,

My three teens were exactly the same age as your children are now on our first trip to Orlando.We stayed in one hotel room at the Grosvenor. Two people in each queen bed a a rollaway at night that took up even more room for the fifth person.I only wish I knew then what I know now about the difference not all sleeping in one hotel room could make.All the lights had to go out when the children went to bed and me and DH didn't get one second of peace or privacy the whole holiday.

I would give serios consideration to at least staying in an apartment resort eg. Vistana Resort or Family Inn suites,or in a villa.The benefit of staying on a resort rather than villa would be all the activities your children could do.Plus large community pools where they'd get to meet other children.I loved staying in a villa last year but the 'children' did find it isolated and prefered it vwhen we stayed in an apartment the time before at Cypress Point ,where they could play crazy golf,go to shops,arcade and swim in a large pool etc.

Because of those reasons we have booked to stay at Windsor Palms this October.The private villas are lovely and have a private pool but on site is a large (not postage size) community pool,there is table-tennis,pool and even a cinema in the community place all free! The best of both worlds I think:Pinkbounc

Hi Fiona

I have stayed at POR when it was DXL. that was in'97. I agree that the surroundings are very nice and the free transport is convenient (usually) but for me any hotel is a fairly low priority. Just a place to sleep and maybe eat the odd meal.
This will be my seventh trip and a typical day for me would be:
Up and out around 7.30. At the latest 8 o'clock.
Breakfast on the way
Car parked by 9.00 and in the parks.
Lunch in the park
Leave the park 6 or 7
Back to hotel, showered, changed and out for dinner
10pm Kids in bed. Ken and Babs in the bar.
11pm We're in bed too

Time awake in hotel room, 2 hours tops.

Now and then we will take a break away from the parks in the afternoon maybe swim and have a late(4.30ish) lunch to enable us to return and stay late for illuminations or other firework shows.
My philosophy is to get as much out of Orlando as possible in two weeks 'cos it's another 50 before we can go back!!
I thought I was a bit of a theme park commando 'til I read Spotty dogs trip report but now realise I'm only a novice!!
Hi Kazzie
I also take your point about being semi isolated in a Villa and had been mulling that over before your post. Soooo my new plan is a week in a suite, probably HIFS and a week in a villa.

Once again thanks for all the advice. this forum is really great to hang out in.

Ken

I think it all depends on the ages of children.

When we last went our kids were 7 and 9 and we all shared a hotel room. It was a pain at times as we were all tired at the end of the day and the kids sometimes ended up talking when we wanted to sleep but on the whole it was cramped but Ok.

This time our 'children' are 17 and 20 and need their own rooms (one son and one daughter) so we are staying in a villa. The isolation will not be a problem as long as there is TV (which there is) and we can all go out together to evening events.

If you need more than one room then I am pretty sure that a villa will be a lot cheaper than a hotel.

Richard,

Thanks for link to villa maps - were considering a villa for our next visit in '04 and haven't a clue where to start on location, thought we'd have a quick browse when we're there this year.

How nice that your kids still holiday with you - you must be really :cool: :cool: cool parents :D

You are most welcome Paula.

I would not go as far as to say that our kids still holiday with us but when asked if they wanted to go to Florida with us, for some reason they were very keen :rolleyes:

We do still all do theme parks together (Alton Towers last September) and all enjoy them (although only myself and DS were brave/stupid enough to go on Oblivion).

We do get on pretty well as a family, although by the end of last years 3 month university summer holiday DD and us were just about ready to part company again ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter