50 MW Solar Farm at WDW

Going to be there this Tuesday. Will report anything additionally if noticed.

We noticed the land clearing just near the entrance ramp on 429 heading east out of Disney. It looked like they are starting to layout the roadwork around the solar farm(s). Additionally, there were survey stakes with pink flags throughout this area just southeast on 429 heading east. I have some pics, but I wasn't about to pull over with the storms that hit today.

Certainly, the thrust of land clearing hasn't happened yet based on my vantage point, but what I reported earlier may have been the perimeter roads being cleared.

We noticed the land clearing just near the entrance ramp on 429 heading east out of Disney. It looked like they are starting to layout the roadwork around the solar farm(s). Additionally, there were survey stakes with pink flags throughout this area just southeast on 429 heading east. I have some pics, but I wasn't about to pull over with the storms that hit today.
Not quite sure exactly where this is. I'm confused by "heading east out of Disney" since this is on the West side of Disney. Hope you can post the pictures later. Those storms were quite something today!

I also drove this stretch yesterday and today and couldn't spot any obvious land clearing. No equipment. Looking through the trees I don't see anything different.

Not quite sure exactly where this is. I'm confused by "heading east out of Disney" since this is on the West side of Disney. Hope you can post the pictures later. Those storms were quite something today!

I also drove this stretch yesterday and today and couldn't spot any obvious land clearing. No equipment. Looking through the trees I don't see anything different.

Since we live on the NW of WDW, anything on 429 out of WDW is east for us.

Here are some pics of reference. Trust me, holding one hand on the camera at XXX MPH and trying to stave off traffic can be challenging! You can see the runoff barriers with the area apparently and recently cleared (and an awesome shot of the SUV plunging it).

Were you able to take any photos as well?

Attachments

• PV 1.JPG
    PV 1.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 39
  • PV 2.JPG
    PV 2.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 37
That helps. We are in SumerLake so we are probably very close to you.

Truly happy to help. The storms scared the....well....it's always frightening. We are eyeing up another move closer to WDW. I really don't want to buy into Toll Brothers Lakeshore and I do like Windamere/Gotha, but recently we are finding Winter Park to be appealing.

Drove this stretch of 429 yesterday and I don't really see anything happening from the road. I wonder if there is work going on where it can't be seen. :drive:

That's pretty much all is saw when I drove by. Surprised that things aren't further along.

Finally saw some evidence of activity at the site today. Silt fences around several areas and some brush cleared. Also saw a truck hauling off felled tree trunks out of the site although I couldn't see just where the trees might have been.

You can find annual reports for the electric (and other utility) systems on Reedy Creek Improvement District's website - the most recent one is for 2015. Based on the figures in the 2015 annual report, peak demand per month in 2015 was averaging around 170-180MW. Hard to say whether that number is higher or lower now, but it should be in the same ballpark. If so, a 50MW solar farm could put a large dent in the amount of power needed from outside electric providers. Based on the same report, RCUC only generates about 20-30% of the electricity used in the district - with the remaining amount of electric power (70-80%) purchased through numerous lease agreements with other power companies in Florida.

From the 2017 annual report, the peak demand for Reedy Creek Energy Services was 190.8MW. More important, however, was the annual energy consumed which was 1,159,605 mwhrs. That same report says the solar farm will generate about 120,000 mwhrs per year, or about 10% of the RCES annual energy requirement. The 120,000 seems high to me, as it represents a capacity factor of over 27%. (120,000 /8760 / 50). In any event even at that capacity factor, you would need about 10 solar farms to generate the entire annual energy requirement of RCES. The problem, however, is the solar farm(s) would not generate the power at the same time as it is needed, for example, they would generate 0 at night but there is still some load to be served. You still need to be connected to the grid to take your excess and provide power when the solar farm(s) are not generating. Or a stack of batteries that might stretch all the way to the airport.

mac_tlc

The 120,000 seems high to me, as it represents a capacity factor of over 27%.
Interesting. I wonder what a real-world number would be like for state of the art solar panels installed similar geographical/meteorological locations

Interesting. I wonder what a real-world number would be like for state of the art solar panels installed similar geographical/meteorological locations

Depends on a lot of factors. Typically to get capacity factors that high, the panels need to dynamically move to follow the sun throughout the day. I think these are static, which is why the 27% seems high to me. I haven't looked at tons of data, but a number closer to 21-22% would seem reasonable. While technology is always getting better, you still need sunshine! The winter sun angle plus those pesky Florida thunderstorms and clouds work against you. Oh, and nighttime too.

mac_tlc

Last edited:
Drove past the site last night and the land clearing phase seems to be nearly complete.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter