6 person fam- finally ready to buy- love input :)

Buy 75 points direct for benefits and then buy the rest resale. 75/150
If you buy SSR, you stand a decent chance of finding a contract with matching use year.

Think we are settled on a decision. Going to go ahead and make the leap for CCV. I know it's direct but we really do love the location and longevity of this one. Plus we can work with our contract accordingly from day 1. I think we are going to do 2 75 pt contracts so they can be split later on to kiddos if we like... plus one 50 which we can either add to or let go as our travel patterns change. That makes our 200. Use year... we go in July pretty often but Oct & Dec trips are our other prime times so I'm thinking a June use year would work best? That means we would have until Feb to bank or change correct?

Thanks folks for reading & giving your 2 cents. Appreciate the opinions for us to bounce off of ;)

You can’t add to a contract. Any additional points down the line will be another contract. I’m guessing you have two kids, so I’d get two 100pt contracts. Also, title them the same or they will be two (or three) different memberships.

You can’t add to a contract. Any additional points down the line will be another contract. I’m guessing you have two kids, so I’d get two 100pt contracts. Also, title them the same or they will be two (or three) different memberships.
Funny. This was per rep suggestion... I inquired if that would be cohesive and he said it would. We actually have 4 kiddos. May let them fight it out I think 2 100s sound pretty good too. My only wonder... if we wanted to resale at some point would it not be easier w smaller point bundles?

Funny. This was per rep suggestion... I inquired if that would be cohesive and he said it would. We actually have 4 kiddos. May let them fight it out I think 2 100s sound pretty good too. My only wonder... if we wanted to resale at some point would it not be easier w smaller point bundles?

I think it's just a little misunderstanding in wording. You can add more points to the membership - ie a 25 points contract or whatever and if it were CCV it would all work seemlessly almost as if it were 1 contract. If it were a different home resort, as long as it were the same UY and titled the same, it could still go under that same membership as a separate contract and would work seemlessly together with the CCV contracts to book elsewhere at 7 months. Or else it would work individually on it's own during the 11 month booking window.

If you added at least 25 direct my understanding is that if it were passed on to child #3 along with that 50 points contract they would also have a qualified membership of 75 points. #4 will just have to figure it out on their own. ;)

Oops, that’s right in your in OP. Well then I’d do 4 50 pt contracts. Technically there is a 75 pt minimum for new members, but since you are buying 200 pts I would think they’d accommodate. Smaller contracts tend to be more valuable per pt. Again, I’d title them all the same. Personally I would not have any kids on title initially.

I wouldn't organize a purchase now solely because of how the kids may split it as an inheritance many many years from now.

Your kids are young. They may have no interest in Disney as adults. They might not be able to afford the dues. There are many factors at play.

Multiple smaller contracts would be easier to sell down the line, however so it's still a good approach to take.

Oops, that’s right in your in OP. Well then I’d do 4 50 pt contracts. Technically there is a 75 pt minimum for new members, but since you are buying 200 pts I would think they’d accommodate. Smaller contracts tend to be more valuable per pt. Again, I’d title them all the same. Personally I would not have any kids on title initially.

The 75 point contract make sense because it will take that as a minimum for them to be qualified if they are passed on to any of the children. At least that's how I would understand it all now. 50 pt transfers will be too little.

Yea... it is definitely not something we are doing specifically for our kiddos but to not consider if we are buying outright would be silly. I think sticking with 75, 75 and 50 is what we are leaning towards. Plus it has the nice advantage of being easier to break apart if our vacation needs change. If we add to make it meet current minimum membership requirements so be it. If we buy a whole new 200 years from now that will be ok too ;)

Yea... it is definitely not something we are doing specifically for our kiddos but to not consider if we are buying outright would be silly. I think sticking with 75, 75 and 50 is what we are leaning towards. Plus it has the nice advantage of being easier to break apart if our vacation needs change. If we add to make it meet current minimum membership requirements so be it. If we buy a whole new 200 years from now that will be ok too ;)
I think you'll find it's more expensive to do so even retail. I wouldn't at 200 points. I wouldn't buy planning to sell later and I wouldn't structure for a legacy for younger kids.

I think you'll find it's more expensive to do so even retail. I wouldn't at 200 points. I wouldn't buy planning to sell later and I wouldn't structure for a legacy for younger kids.
I don't think I follow this... you wouldnt buy 200 retail? or split? or both?

Somebody very recently reported that splitting on 300 points or so added $60 in closing cost vs not splitting.

I don't think I follow this... you wouldnt buy 200 retail? or split? or both?
Probably both but they are independent issues. Not only will you have higher closing costs, you may also miss out on some of the incentives. It also takes the option of the fixed week off the table for CCV retail. For resale it'll add another $2000 or so on 200 points for 4 vs 1 contracts I likely wouldn't buy retail or if I was set on it, I'd wait on Riviera to be formally announces and look at the details. Even if I felt pass discounts were worth it (not for most), I'd only buy 75-100 points and then another 120-150 or so resale unless it was a resort that didn't make much difference like VGF or VGC. I get the sense you've decided on retail and then looking at which resort to buy after that and IMO, I'd do it the other way. I'd decide on the best home resort then decide if retail were worth it once I knew the best home resort. IF I did decide that was CCV and retail, I'd only buy a fixed week if the numbers were relatively close.

Somebody very recently reported that splitting on 300 points or so added $60 in closing cost vs not splitting.
Sounds low on 4 vs 1 contract.

Smaller contracts are very easy to resale. Even 100 points is ok. I would do 75 75 50 even if closing is somewhat more. It’s worth it for the ease of resale if you need. Otherwise 2 100 point contracts.
Personally, I’d buy 120-160 resale and then buy 75 direct.

Last edited:
Seems like a big difference in total cost if you buy 2 contracts direct vs 150 resale.

I would play around with the numbers, you can always buy resale now and add on direct later, or vice versa. And once you become a member, you can try CCV or BRV or Riviera and see where you love to stay. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Congrats on the purchase.

Agree with the statements about buying to leave a legacy for your kids. If you consider ever increasing annual dues and every increasing park costs a legacy, go with it! I look at my DVC as a vacation choice for the family right now, and I will have it sold long before it becomes an anchor for my kids to deal with.

buy 75 retail and the rest resale. We have 2 resale 150 each and 1 retail 100. 2 kids ,each gets 1 we get the other or we sell. Of course we bought in 2002/2003 at BWV. We saw no need to have more than 1 home DVC. We have stayed at them all at (DVC) WDW.

Probably both but they are independent issues. Not only will you have higher closing costs, you may also miss out on some of the incentives. It also takes the option of the fixed week off the table for CCV retail. For resale it'll add another $2000 or so on 200 points for 4 vs 1 contracts I likely wouldn't buy retail or if I was set on it, I'd wait on Riviera to be formally announces and look at the details. Even if I felt pass discounts were worth it (not for most), I'd only buy 75-100 points and then another 120-150 or so resale unless it was a resort that didn't make much difference like VGF or VGC. I get the sense you've decided on retail and then looking at which resort to buy after that and IMO, I'd do it the other way. I'd decide on the best home resort then decide if retail were worth it once I knew the best home resort. IF I did decide that was CCV and retail, I'd only buy a fixed week if the numbers were relatively close.

Sounds low on 4 vs 1 contract.

Deciding on Copper Creek was actually what pushed us towards direct instead of resale. I was set on resale to begin with but when we ultimately decided CCV was for us that turned the tables. We just did not want to wait for the right contract with the correct amount of points etc to hit the market with resale since CCV is still new and ultimately this purchase has been a gift so we made the plunge. 2 contracts - 100 points each :) Sadly a fixed week just won't work with our lifestyle at this time... so awesome that it is offered though.

Deciding on Copper Creek was actually what pushed us towards direct instead of resale. I was set on resale to begin with but when we ultimately decided CCV was for us that turned the tables. We just did not want to wait for the right contract with the correct amount of points etc to hit the market with resale since CCV is still new and ultimately this purchase has been a gift so we made the plunge. 2 contracts - 100 points each :) Sadly a fixed week just won't work with our lifestyle at this time... so awesome that it is offered though.
If you feel CCV and it's pricing is right for you, retail is appropriate. My sense on a fixed week is that if it's fairly close to the number of points one wants anyway, I'd consider buying one even if I didn't think I'd ever use it. But one also has to look at the pricing options since fixed weeks may not get the same incentives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter