8-28 to 9-4 Dining Reviews

BaseballMoM2007

Mouseketeer
I managed to only make two food photos this whole trip and one was just of ice cream. I did however make notes about our expierences everywhere for some brief reviews. Trip includes Myself, Husband, our 10 year old son, and his best friend K. Our son is a pretty adventerous eater his friend is not at all.

Tuesday 08/28- We checked into Pop Century around Lunch time. We were going to spend some time at the pool but it was raining. We got lunch from Everything Pop Food Court. Dinner from The Edison and then a late night snack from Everything Pop again. We were just there for one night. It rained the entire time so we never got to enjoy the pool. We all LOVED the room but it would have been very tough for the 4 of us to stay there the whole trip. It was perfect for one night though.
Everything Pop Lunch- Both Kids got burgers- They were what you would expect. DS loved the fries K didn't. DH and I got two items to share a salad with chicken and the fish sandwich. All was good no complaints as far as food court food goes.
The Edison- We got the Candied Bacon as an app. It was delicious just not enough of it for 4 people but to expensive to order 2 of. Hubby and I shared the Grilled cheese with Tomato Soup. This was HUGE and Delicious. Both kids also got the kids portion of the Grilled Cheese. DS liked the grilled cheese but not the soup. K hated it all. This resturant is beautiful but the prices will likely keep us from returning $15 for a kids meal grilled cheese is crazy.
Everything Pop Late night- Since neither of the kids ate much at the edison they were still hungry so we got two Kids Mickey Waffle Meals. Like always these were perfect.

Last edited:
Wednesday 08/29- We checked out of Pop and into Boardwalk inn for the remainder of our trip. We last stayed at AKL with a partial savanna view so I was very nervous that I was going to be disappointed in our standard view room. We were upgraded to a Garden view but it was overlooking the courtyard where they play movies and we could also see the water and boardwalk. I was thrilled. Our Balcony was larger than most too which was nice because we spent a good amount of time out there. We truly enjoyed this hotel. The room was very large (no sofa just a green chair) and we loved being able to walk down to the boardwalk at night while the kids stayed in the room on electronics. I went and made a walmart run this morning for some essentials and got us some doughnuts for breakfast.

Sanaa Lunch- For Lunch we wanted to go back and visit AKL for sentimental reasons. We got there right at check in and got a window seat. The resturant wasn't very crowded but there was some crazy kids in there (I'm talking one threw a plate on the ground and broke it crazy) so that was a little distracting. For the Food we got the Naan Bread with all 9 accompaniments. I don't know the names of them but we liked some didn't like others. DS loved the white one he tried most all of them. K tried one and hated it. He did eat one of the breads pretty well. For our meals DS got the kids cheese pizza he didn't like the cheese on it. I'm positive it is the same cheese used everywhere else he was just being weird. K got the kids burger and it was as expected. DH and I shared the potjie since we were using the dining plan we were able to get 2 from the Journey so we got the Spicy Durban Shrimp, butter chicken and from the harvest we got Cilantro-Coconut Milk vegetables and rice. We enjoyed this. I don't know that we would go out of our way to go to Sanaa again but would defintely go if we were staying at AKL. We all got dessert to go. Unfortunately we never ate these. They were in the fridge for a few days.

Boardwalk Pizza Window - We went to MK for a little while and had planned dinner at a quickservice there but the Rain was just to much for us. So we hit our fastpasses and came back to The Boardwalk. We just used some quick service credits for dinner. DH got the Meat Pizza Combo with a Beer and pasta salad, I got the White Pizza with Bacon and Musrooms with a beer, DS got the Meatball sub with chips, and K got the pepperoni pizza. All of these were good. I loved mine so much that I got it again later in the week twice. When using quickservice they came with sides we got one of everything to go and never touched them. I threw them all out after a few days in the fridge.

Thursday 08/30- We slept in this morning. DS and I were the first two up so we walked over to Beach club and grabbed breakfast for everyone at the Marketplace to bring back to the room. After a little pool time we headed to Hollywood Studios used our fastpasses and got lunch at Woody's Lunchbox. For dinner we met up with our friends (including K's family) who were staying offsite at Mickey's Backyard BBQ. I would not have chose this but it was what they wanted to do and we wanted to have dinner with them.

Beach Club Marketplace Breakfast- Both kids got mickey waffles we just paid out of pocket for the waffles. I got DH a bagel and me a side of the hashbrown casserole (It was amazing). You can never go wrong with Mickey waffles lets be honest.

Woody's Lunchbox- DH, DS and I loved this meal. DH and I both got the brisket sandwich (in hindsight we should have just split it) I got the grownup lemonade with mine and DH got a beer the sandwiches were delicious. DS got the Totchos. He absoutely loved these. K got the kids grilled cheese. He didn't like it. We came to learn he was pretty picky. We had the kids look for a table while we waited on the food. It is pretty cut throat getting a table we watched several adults jump in front of them to claim one. We also saw DS have to clean off the table we finally got (which was sweet to watch him just do that without being asked but crazy adults left such a mess).

Mickey's Backyard BBQ. The pros and cons I think everyone knows the food isn't wonderful here. It wasn't bad just wasn't anything spectacular. Our friends really wanted to do this with their daughter. DS is pretty shy we had been once before when he was about 5 and he wouldn't go near the dance floor. K is very outgoing and loved the dancing so DS followed him around and I caught him dancing a little. The kids all enjoyed it. Everyone left full and all of the adults consumed our 60 each worth of drinks so it was fine. Is it worth 2 dining plan credits NO. I hear it is closing so I am glad we did it one last night hate we used 2 credits each on it but probably would have hated paying 200+ Out of pocket worse.

Last edited:
Friday 08/31- We were rope dropping Epcot with some friends joining us this day to go to Food and Wine Festival. We grabbed breakfast at the Boardwalk bakery. Lunch was a combination of Food and Wine Booths, Leaping Horse Libations pool bar, and boardwalk Pizza window, Dinner was with our friends at Ohana.

Boardwalk Bakery- 1 chocolate chip muffin, 1 blue berry muffin, 1 chocolate chip cookie, and one crossinant. All were as they should be. Really hard to mess those items up.

Food and Wine Festival- At a regular booth for the kids we filled up the popcorn bucket, got two blue slushies, and a mickey pretzel with cheese. The rest is just what DH, DS, and I got. K wasn't interested in any of the F&W booths food. I don't remember exactly what our friends got.
Flavors From Fire Booth- Piggy Wings and Orlando Brewery Smoking Blackwater Porter. Wings were great beer was good we just hated the small drink portions.
Costal Eats- Baked Shrimp Scampi Dip- This was great DS loved it and wanted to go back for more but we never made it back around there.
Hawaii- Grilled Tuna Tataki, Teriyaki-glazed spam hash, and a Mai Tai. The food was very good. The Mai Tai was very strong but the size of a mouthwash cup. For $9 I really expected a larger portion. At least the beers were just 4-5 for the small portions.
Belgium Beer- Leffe Blond Belgaian pale ale- We didn't like this and was the last small drink anyone got we started going to the full time booths for drinks.
Japan- Spicy sushi roll- I got two of these one for me and one for DS he loves sushi. This was very good.
Mexico- Avacado Margarita from La Cava de Tequila- LOVED this.

Leaping Horse Libations/ Boardwalk Pizza Window- We went back to the hotel and down to the pool our friends came along to hang out while the boys swimmed. At about 230 we were all hungry still (kids just hadn't ate much and we had all been sharing the small portions from F&W) so between all of us 6 adults and 3 kids we had a large pepperoni pizza from boardwalk pizza window along with 3 mickey pretzels with cheese, 2 nachos with chilli cheese, and a turkey sandwich from pool bar. Not a bite of food was wasted it really hit the spot. I got a Frose' with the nachos I bought with a quick service credit.

Ohana - We had a late reservation at Ohana around 830. We were starving and could have been rolled out of there we were all so full when we were done. I got a Lapu Lapu and was fine with being charged the 5.99 extra for the pineapple. DH ordered 2 beers the 2nd one was our only charge besides the tip. So she didn't charge me for the pineapple. All the food was great. The stars of the meal for everyone were the noodles and the bread pudding. The Steak was a little tough and the shrimp was hard to peel but good once you got it peeled. This was a great meal our server was great. My only small complaint is that they pace the meals a little to quick between courses but I understand they are trying to get the tables turned over for the next people.

Last edited:

Saturday 09/01- One of the main reasons we made this trip was for the Alabama vs Louisville football game. We had planned to skip a year between our trips since we were just there for Christmas but once the game was scheduled and free dining came out during our trip it was very easy to talk DH into coming back. We didn't know when making our plans for dining and fastpasses what time the game would be so we decided to just leave saturday completely open. We took it easy and got breakfast from the bakery, hit the pool for a little bit, and then all had lunch at ESPN. The boys had to start getting ready for the game after lunch. While they were are the game I explored the boardwalk a little more. Got dinner from (surprise) The Boardwalk Pizza window and then some ice cream from Ample Hills. I got a couple of drinks on the boardwalk. I watched part of the game from outside ESPN but most in my room with a bottle of wine. I think there is no need for additonal reviews of the bakery or that amazing white pizza from Pizza window. The boys ate dinner at the game.

ESPN- We had the worst server of our entire trip at this meal. I was so mad by the end of it we didn't even get the desserts that came with our dining plan because I was so frustrated with him. DH and both boys got burgers. DH got one of the specialty burgers but I don't remember which one. I got the fish tacos these were good.

Sunday 09/02- The boys didn't get in until around 130 am Saturday night. I knew it would be late so I booked us a 11am breakfast at Cape May. Up until about 2 days prior we were booked for California Grill Brunch at 1230. The closer we got I was afraid it would be a waste of money and our last few credits with the kids (mainly K I think DS would have ate his money worth in sushi but was pretty sure K wouldn't like anything). So I sadly canceled the meal I was looking the most forward to. Dinner we ate at Pizzafari for the family style meal. Then a late night snack at, you guessed it, Boardwalk Pizza Window. If it hadn't have been for our dining plan being free I would say we kept the lights on there this month.

Cape May-
This was great. The boys wouldn't stand in line this trip to meet any other characters except Starlord and Groot. They had great interaction with the characters, ate a ton of mickey waffles, and had lots of smiles. This meal going so well made me not feel as much remorse for canceling California Grill.

Pizzafari- Our reservation was for 630ish this day but of course it was raining again and several rides were closed so we decided to try and go ahead and eat early. They were able to get us right in a little before 5. I would probably not book this meal again it just wasn't my favorite. The pros- the pizza was fantastic we all enjoyed, DH liked the salad, the kids liked the alfredo, Our adult drinks were good, and I felt like for the quick service credits it was a good value as it was a ton of food. Cons- It was way to much food we wasted SO SO Much food and I didn't like anything but the pizza.

The boys were hungry again by about 9 pm so we wound up getting them more pizza from Boardwalk. That is my only complaint with BWI is the lack of quick service options if you are on the dining plan. There was food at the Boardwalk cart but I never wanted to get that because we had credits we could use. They really need a food court-type place. We loved the Mara at AKL. It isn't huge but has great food and a variety so you aren't always stuck with pizza (as good as it may be).

Last edited:
Monday 09/03- Since we had shortened our last Magic Kingdom day due to the rain we decided to go back and rope drop and try to catch the things we missed. We had fastpasses later in the day for Hollywood studios. I was able to get a PPO Be Our Guest Breakfast. Unfortunately when we got out and got in line for 7 Dwarves Mine Train about 10 minutes prior to opening they announced it was have trouble and would be a delayed opening so really would have been better off to go to Crystal Palace as the main things we wanted to hit were Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Jungle Cruise, and Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger Spin. We were still able to walk on all of these so it was no problem.

Be Our Guest Breakfast- DH and DS both got the Assorted Cured Meats and Cheese- They both loved it. I got the Open Face Back Egg and Cheese sandwich. This was good only issue was bottom was very soggy so it feel apart. K got the kids scrambled egg with bacon he loved this. We all enjoyed our food so all was not lost by missing out on 7 Dwarves Mine train.

Leaping Horse Libations-Lunch DH and I shared a order of Nacho's before the boys came to the pool I got a frozen drink with our meal. We thought they really could use some more toppings. It wasn't really what we were wanting but the menu here is pretty limited. Once the boys got to the pool they both got an order of the nacho's as well DH and I each got a drink with their meals they just refilled their mugs. They loved the Nachos. Before they could finish it started raining hard and they had to close the pool. We ran into this several times we had rain every single day of our trip.

Big River Grille Dinner- The meal was very meh. It is my opinion they should reimagine this location keep the brewery but make it a quick service location. I feel like that is what the boardwalk is really missing. I would be much more likely to return and enjoy some specialty beers in this location if it was a quick service. DH got the ribeye It was cooked to a perfect medium rare but was a terrible cut of meat. The mashed potatoes that came with it are great. I got the creole Salmon it wasn't the worst I have ever had but wan't great. Both kids got burgers. We just ate here out of conveinence really wouldn't go back unless it underwent some changes.

Very fun reviews. I like the beer reviews, I'm heading down in November and look forward to trying some selections for Food & Wine. The small serving sizes are disappointing.

Great reviews! Thank you for writing them. Regarding the Lapu Lapu, are they charging extra for the pineapple now? If you don’t pay the $5.99 does your drink come in a glass?

To get it as your drink on the Dining plan it is supposed to be a $5.99 upcharge for it to be served in the pineapple. Mine was in the pineapple I accepted the upcharge but it actually wasn't on my bill. There was 4 bills at our table so it very well could have been on someone else's ticket and they just didn't tell me. But yes you can forgo the upcharge and just get the drink in a glass for I assume around 9.99 and it be your 1 adult beverage on the dining plan.

Great reviews! We are staying at BWI over Thanksgiving, our first stay there, so loved reading this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!