9/29 Disney parks crowds and capacity discussion

Now indoors, that is a different story, I do agree that everyone should be wearing masks indoors at all times unless you are seated at a table inside a restaurant eating/drinking/etc.
I haven't really followed the reports all that closely but how has Disney been doing with spacing of tables at the indoor venues? At places like Cosmic Ray's, for example, your chair was always back to back with the next table. Did they take out a bunch of tables to spread them out?

And have any places that didn't already have outdoor seating add it? Unlike Disneyland where there is a lot of open air seating, it's not that common in Florida due to the weather. I've been wondering if they adjusted that any.

I haven't really followed the reports all that closely but how has Disney been doing with spacing of tables at the indoor venues? At places like Cosmic Ray's, for example, your chair was always back to back with the next table. Did they take out a bunch of tables to spread them out?

And have any places that didn't already have outdoor seating add it? Unlike Disneyland where there is a lot of open air seating, it's not that common in Florida due to the weather. I've been wondering if they adjusted that any.

at the locations with movable tables they have taken some out and reconfigured the set up. At locations where the tables were fixed to the floor they have signs on the tables indicating if you can sit there or not

I haven't seen anything about restaurants adding outside seating, though they have added those "relaxation" zones and I believe in World Showcase they have added more seating areas as you can't walk and eat so more defined space was needed with the festival booths

Here's the thing. People that are going feel safe going there. They are the ones saying "I feel safer here than my local grocery store!" You've got the true believers, will go to Disney at any or all costs. Good for them, not for me.

I've seen a few people complain and post very misleading crowd pictures (looking down a tunnel version that looks twice as crowded than it really is). They immediately get piled on. They were nervous, they went and then regretted it.

If you feel stress going on a vacation it is NOT the time to go on vacation.
I'm reminded of the meme I saw of a restaurant server geared up with masks and gloves, full PPE and looked like a hospital worker. The caption was "if your server looks like this, it's time to learn to grill your own damn chicken."

Same applies for a Disney vacation. If that stresses you out, clearly do not attempt to go. You'll be a nervous wreck.
If someone says capacity is 100K, do you really feel the difference if it's 50K? Barely. It's just crowded. I think the no crowd, walk on everything, ship has sailed. That was this past summer. It's over.

I was there 9/12 - 9/17 and I can safely say I observed about 99% compliance from folks as far as masks. And social distancing to be honest. I was pretty impressed. As far as capacity, I think Hollywood Studios is going to be "yellow" a lot of the time because of Galaxy's Edge. Whether or not they have increased the capacity, none of us nor the DIS Team really knows. But the DIS crew gives their "opinions" and "observations" - and I'm fine with that. If they hear a rumor from a supposed "insider" I'm fine with them stating that as well as long as they caveat that it's "alleged"

That’s what so many people aren’t grasping. Yes, the parks are more crowded. That’s not because they raised capacity. It’s because they’re actually approaching that capacity limit now.

Yup, and a normal day at MK they are only at about 60% capacity (maybe less) - so 25% capacity but with shortened hours, less things to do, and social distancing on the queues and attractions can feel pretty crowded

Yup, and a normal day at MK they are only at about 60% capacity (maybe less) - so 25% capacity but with shortened hours, less things to do, and social distancing on the queues and attractions can feel pretty crowded
And lower capacity on the rides and in the shows themselves. A high capacity ride like pirates isn’t taking the number of people it could or should.

I would love hear a discussion of your beginning Days of creating Disboards. Who was involved and anything special to create interest from fans? I know it had to take a lot of work creating a new media style. Competition, mostly friendly but ... what’s the History? and what is in the future?

We just went this past weekend. Saturday at MK was busy but not what I would call “crowded.” Wait times ranged from 30-50 minutes for most rides. Peter Pan was about 25 - so not bad at all. However, Mine Train, Big Thunder were 60+ all day.

DHS on Sunday. We’re in before 10 and did not get Rise. Downhill from there. Wait times shot to 60+ on everything and stayed there. So few actual rides and no shows equals terrible park experience. I’m just not going back to DHS - my favorite atmosphere park - until they either bring back fast pass or open the whole park. It just can’t handle the crowds. We are annual pass holders so not a huge deal; we’ll be back at XMAS.

I don’t really care about capacity - it’s about crowd management based on attractions. MK did surprisingly well. DHS completely failed.

I agree with this. It seems to me all this could be avoided with increased park hours. We were there in august and the short hours kept us at the parks all day. I wonder how many are there open to close due to the short hours. Increased hours could really help

DHS on Sunday. We’re in before 10 and did not get Rise. Downhill from there. Wait times shot to 60+ on everything and stayed there. So few actual rides and no shows equals terrible park experience. I’m just not going back to DHS - my favorite atmosphere park - until they either bring back fast pass or open the whole park. It just can’t handle the crowds. We are annual pass holders so not a huge deal; we’ll be back at XMAS.

Don't like to read that. We're flying from Texas to WDW next week. I've been considering pushing back a couple of weeks just for the change over to holiday themes, but I'd imagine crowds will be pushing that 25% without a doubt if it already is. Plus, the expense will drive up some for sure at that point. I was in the Army for 20 years, I'll just have to introduce my kids into the "hurry up and wait" methods again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!