9 days of gluttony! A (no longer) *LIVE* dining report 8/31 - 9/8 ***COMPLETE 2/28, Lunch at The Plaza***

We chose to sleep in this day as our trip was beginning to wind down, and we were getting tired. It was Labor Day, so we expected the parks to be pretty busy, and we were right. We spent about an hour at the Volcano Pool, then finally made our was to Animal Kingdom around 11. We had hoped to have time to ride Expedition Everest before our 12:15 ADR at Tiffins, but EE landed up being down for most of the day. We walked leisurely and took a few Photopass pictures before arriving at Tiffins at 12:05.

After checking in on the app, we were approached by the hostess who asked us to check in on the app 🤷‍♀️😂. When I told her that I already had, she looked confused and walked away. A funny tidbit - while we were waiting, a family of 3 came up and asked if they were taking walk ins. The hostess said "Yes, it'll be about a 5 minute wait while we get your table ready." The dad rolled his eyes and muttered something about that being too long and they left! I'm still confused and amused about the whole thing! Anyway, after a few minutes, we were called and being led to our table in the little back room beyond Nomad Lounge. I really missed the beautiful carvings, animals, and general atmosphere of the main dining room. This is the second time we've been seated in the back room, it's fine, but kind of blah. Next time, I'm going to request a table in the main room, even if we have to wait longer.

To drink, Eric ordered a Lamu Libation:
Starr African Rum, Cruzan Banana Rum, Guava Purée, Tropical Juices, Gosling's 151 Rum Float. I was feeling a little overheated, so I stuck with iced tea (boring!).

He really enjoyed his drink. I had a couple sips and it was really tasty, but seemed a little heavy. A bit too much guava puree for my taste.

Eric didn't see anything on the appetizer menu that called to him, so I chose Spiced Chickpea Falafel:
Mint-Pistachio Pesto, Cumin-scented Garlic Raita, Pickled Vegetables

This was good, but not great. I preferred Skipper Canteen's falafel. Overall, the dish was tasty as a whole, but the falafel itself was severely lacking in texture. It was just very mushy, I almost couldn't tell if I was eating chickpeas or mashed potatoes. The plate was saved by the pesto, raita, and pickled carrots. I'm not sure if I would order this again.

Eric remembered how much he had enjoyed the Tea service here in the past, so he ordered a press pot. Sadly, because of Covid, the tea service which used feature a large wooden box presented at your table to make your selection, a press pot made at your table, two kinds of sugar cubes, cream, etc. is now the server reading a short list of available teas and bringing a press pot to your table with some sugar and splenda packets. The tea was fine, but he really missed having the overall experience.

For my entree, I wavered between the Surf and Turf and what I eventually chose, Shrimp and Grits. My initial instinct was to order the Surf and Turf, because... meat. But knowing how hot and crowded the park was, along with the fact that I was almost certainly having the filet at California Grill that night, I decided to take the lighter alternative.

Shrimp and Grits:
Anson Mills Grits, Applewood-smoked Bacon, Heirloom Tomatoes, Smoked Pepper Jam.

This was delicious! The shrimp was cooked perfectly and nicely seasoned. Grits were delicious and creamy. There was a slight taste of bacon, not overpowering. I didn't pick up much of the smoked pepper jam flavor, but I felt like the plate was well balanced and not too heavy, which is exactly what I wanted. Side note: somebody at a table near us got the Surf and Turf while we were eating and it smelled HEAVENLY.

I'm going to make an admission here... my husband can a little odd. He wanted me to make an ADR at Tiffins specifically because he wanted to eat "something braised". Yes, really. :rotfl: When it came time to choose his entree, there was only one thing that caught his eye, Tamarind-braised Short Rib:
Parsnip-Potato Purée, Cauliflower, Cipollini Onion, Medjool Date Vinaigrette

He really really enjoyed this! The braised beef was fall-apart tender and paired perfectly with the tamarind sauce. The date vinaigrette added a smidge of sweetness that really complimented everything on the plate. I didn't try the vegetables, but Eric said they were all well cooked and delicious.

Nothing on the dessert menu really called to us, so we decided to skip it. I know you're probably shocked by that... I'm still a little surprised!

After settling our bill, we made our way back out into the park. Unfortunately, Expedition Everest was still down and it had gotten even more crowded while we were eating lunch, so we decided to head back to the Poly and hang out at the resort for a while.

Up next: Dinner at California Grill

Whoops, I lied! I forgot that time we spent at the resort included food and drinks. Dinner at California Grill will be next, after this.

When we got back to the Poly, we did a little bit of packing since we were going home the next day, then we went off to explore and relax a bit. We made our way to the completely empty beach (I don't know if I've ever seen that before), and sat on one of the swings and just chatted and enjoyed the quiet.

We wandered a bit more and found ourselves at the marina, which was closed. But the bar was open! We looked at their offerings and I chose their Labor Day special drink:

Best drink I had all trip!!! It was fruity, sweet, cold, and STRONG! I'm glad we were walking around while drinking because if I'd been sitting at a table or anywhere near the bar when I finished, I would have kept ordering them until I wouldn't have made it to California Grill that night.

Eric went with the Poly version of a Long Island Iced Tea.

His drink was also really strong! Those ladies at the pool/marina bar were very generous with the alcohol. His was good, but it couldn't hold a candle to my drink.

As we continued our walk, we landed up at Captain Cooks. Since we had skipped dessert at Tiffins, we picked out a couple of pretty cupcakes from the case.

You're probably wondering how the cupcakes tasted... so am I. We didn't even take one bite! When we got back to our room, I opened the containers to take pictures, then I realized that it was time to start getting ready for dinner, and put them in the fridge. That's where they stayed. 😞

Up next: Dinner at California Grill. Really this time!

I had the Tiffin's shrimp and grits on Thanksgiving Day 2018, and I too loved it! And I have to say, I too loved braised short rib!

When I had initially planned our getaway, I managed to snag an ADR to surprise Eric with California Grill brunch. I was SO excited because I knew he'd love everything about it. But then, Covid. My hard earned brunch ADR was cancelled and brunch still has not returned. I'm looking forward to brunch returning in the future, so I can hire an in room sitter for the kids and we can overindulge ourselves!

Since we couldn't have brunch, we decided to book California Grill for dinner instead! Before we get to the food, do you ever look at your spouse and wonder how you managed to get so lucky? As I was going through my pictures from this dinner to post, I stopped in my tracks when I saw this one. How did I get so lucky to have this handsome, kind, loving, generous man?!?! Whatever it was/is... I'm thankful!

Okay, enough with the mush... on to the food! As you can see, the restaurant decorated our table with Mickey head confetti in honor of our anniversary. 🥰

For drinks, I ordered a Blackberry Sour:
Ketel One Citroen Vodka, House-made Lemonade, Blackberries. This was great - tart and sweet and boozy! I don't usually drink much in my real, non vacation life, so between this and the Uncle Slam I had earlier, I was feeling pretty relaxed.

Eric opted for San Francisco Mai Tai: Captain Morgan Spiced Rum, Orgeat (Almond), Orange and Pineapple Juices, float of Gosling’s Black Seal Rum. He enjoyed his drink, but I didn't try it. He also ordered coffee (and now that I took a closer look at my receipt, I see that we were charged for two coffees 🤷‍♀️).

For his appetizer, Eric chose the Beer Cheese Soup.

The menu has changed recently, so I can't see the official description. I do know that it was made with beer, cheese, potato-celery root foam, garlic butter, and apple. I had a bite and it was delicious! Velvety smooth and packed with flavor. Eric loved his soup and ate every last drop.

I chose the same appetizer I always choose here,
California Combination Roll: Jumbo Lump Crab, Avocado, Cucumber, Shrimp Tempura.

I know it's not very adventurous, I mean it's just a California Roll and a Shrimp Tempura roll, but I LOVE this so much. The orange sauce that is served with this roll is so delicious, especially with the Shrimp Tempura roll. Maybe next time I'll ask if I can have double shrimp tempura 🤔.

For entrees, we both ordered the Oak Fired Filet of Beef served with Aged Gouda Macaroni and Cheese, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Oxtail Marmalade, Red Wine-Sweet Onion Jus.

I'm usually not a big fan of filet, I'm much more of a Ribeye girl... but THIS was fantastic! Easily the best filet I've had. Mine was cooked perfectly medium rare, and was very well seasoned, and tender. The Brussels sprouts were nicely tender/crisp and had a lovely char on some of the outer leaves. The Mac and cheese was also really good, but was ultimately too heavy for me. Eric happily offered to finish it for me - see how lucky I am?! 😂

I was already really full, so we decided to share a dessert. I let Eric decide since I was only planning to have a bite or two 🤭. He chose Valrhona Chocolate Cake with vanilla bean ice cream, milk chocolate whipped panna cotta, pretzel crunch.

YUM! I somehow forgot my plan to only have a bite or two and managed to eat more than half. The salty pretzel crunch was a delicious contrast to the rich chocolate cake.

Earlier in the evening, we had been chatting with a nice couple seated nearby, they were locals. They asked how many years we were celebrating and told us that they were celebrating 35 the next week. We talked a bit more, then they finished their meal and left. When our server brought our dessert out, he also brought two glasses of champagne, courtesy of the nice couple we chatted with! How sweet was that?!

We enjoyed our champagne and dessert, and we settled our bill. Then we walked out onto the observation deck for a bit to take in the view. Since there were no fireworks, we were the only ones out there and were able to take a couple of pictures without our masks.

And one more, because this is how we roll. And now you all know how weird we are... 🤪

One more meal to go before we head home, The Plaza in Magic Kingdom.

What a wonderful dinner. We are in the same boat as you with having an ADR for brunch and then it not coming back. But it looks like that amazing filet may have just made up for that. Happy Anniversary!

Today, I realized that I never came back to finish this report... Whoops! This installment might be kind of short and vague, but at least I still have pictures!

After leaving our bags with bell services, we hopped on the monorail for one last trip to Magic Kingdom. I'm guessing we did our favorite rides and some last minute shopping before we went to our late lunch reservation at The Plaza.

As usual, we couldn't pick an appetizer to share, so we landed up with two. I picked the Wedge Salad, which was both fresh and refreshing.

Eric chose the Plaza Loaded Fries: Crispy fries, cheese sauce, bacon, lettuce, and tomato. I expected these to be better. Rather than the smothered fries that I anticipated, this was more a plate of fries with a little bit of cheese, topped with a small salad. Eric liked them, but I was slightly disappointed.

For entree, I selected the Plaza Burger: a burger topped with barbeque beef brisket, cheddar, lettuce, and tomato, with green beans on the side.

The burger was delicious! Eric and I had decided that we were going to cut our entrees in half and split with each other, but as soon as I took a bite of this burger, I immediately regretted that decision. The green beans were good, but not "Biergarten good".

Eric ordered the Cheese Steak Sandwich: shaved beef, peppers, onions, and provolone, with a side of mashed potatoes (???).

His sandwich was okay, not great. I remember the cheese sauce tasted flour-y, like the roux hadn't cooked long enough to get rid of the raw flour taste. Eric didn't notice at all, and happily ate the entire thing. I don't remember anything about the mashed potatoes, so they must have been okay.

Oh, you might notice Eric's drink in the picture - he ordered a Cherry Coke. At first, our server wasn't sure if they could do that, but then she came out with a glass of Coke filled with about 15 cherries!

For dessert, we actually managed to agree on something to share, an Original Banana Split - banana, one scoop each of chocolate/vanilla/strawberry ice cream, with hot fudge, crushed pineapple, and strawberry sauce, topped with whipped cream, nuts, and cherries.

This was HUGE and delicious! A great, classic banana split.

Sadly, it was time to pay our bill and make our way back to The Poly to catch the Magical Express back to the airport.

Overall, we had a great, delicious, and GLUTTONOUS anniversary trip! I won't tell you how much weight we gained... only that I'm still trying to get it off. Totally worth it! 😂

Thanks to all of you for following along! ❤

I very much enjoyed reading your reviews!

The sizes of your app and dessert at Tony's in relation to the prices is appalling! I ate there once years ago and have not considered going back since and reports like your make me remember why. I agree with the person who said they can't believe Disney hasn't stepped up their game at this restaurant.

I totally agree with your thoughts on the loaded fries at the Plaza. I ordered that for my meal because I was expecting a filling, cheesy plate of goodness, but was disappointed by what came to the table. They were good, but just basically fries with a little melted shredded cheese and salad on top.

I really can't wait for the dining plan to come back! We always use it, either with free dining, bounce back or purchased and I really missed it on our December trip. We only went to a handful of sit down restaurants due to the prices and it felt like something was missing. We still had an awesome vacation and were super glad that we decided to go, but I look forward to being able to order anything I want off the menu without looking at the prices and being downright obligated to eat dessert at every meal. :)

Readers, I have failed you. I could not eat up to my full potential at Tony's Town Square for lunch today. I'm so sorry!

We checked in right at 12:15 for our 12:20 reservation. In two minutes, we were being led to a quiet table in the sun room. At this point, I was still optimistic about being able to order something review worthy, but as soon as we sat down and I started smelling the food, I knew I was going to be a disappointment.

Eric had really been looking forward to eating here, but I was significantly less enthusiastic. I ordered an iced tea with lemon and Eric asked for water and a Coke. Our server brought the drinks and also some bread and oil.

View attachment 523749

I have never met a bread and dipping oil that I didn't love... until today. The bread was kind of crunchy and stale, but also soggy from where the oil had sloshed around. The oil itself was just okay, but there was about an inch of it, and no way to get the seasoning from the bottom of the dish without absolutely soaking the crouton-like bread. We each had two bites and declared that we were done with it. That has literally never happened before.

Eric ordered the Caprese for his appetizer. While it was good, it was also tiny. 3 small balls of mozzarella, about 1/2 if a tomato, and a few blistered baby heirloom tomatoes. The balsamic was good quality and it was sprinkled with nice large grains of salt. The bite that I had was good.. but it was also about 1/4 of the appetizer.

View attachment 523750

I also ordered an appetizer, but asked for it to be my meal. I chose to go for the fried mozzarella. This was delicious, and just the right size for food fatigued stomach. The mozzarella was good quality and perfectly breaded and fried.

View attachment 523751

Desperate for something green, I also ordered a side of broccolini to go with my fried cheese. Now, broccolini is my favorite vegetable, and I take pretty much any chance I get to order it. This was just not good. It was completely undercooked, almost raw. I like cooked veggies to be on the crisp side, but this had barely seen the heat of a cooking vessel.

View attachment 523752

Eric continued his "Tour de Spaghetti and Meatballs". His meal was slightly more successful than mine, but not entirely. The pasta was well cooked al dente, but his meatballs were VERY undercooked in the middle. Like to the point that he didn't feel comfortable eating them. He ate the spaghetti and left the meatballs sitting there.

View attachment 523755

We hadn't been disappointed enough yet, so we ordered the Italian Strawberry Shortcake to share for dessert.

View attachment 523756

While the flavor was great, the value was not. For $8.50, we literally received 4 bite sized cubes of pound cake, 1 single balsamic marinated strawberry, and a squirt of whipped cream.

Overall, Tony's was disappointing. The food was not great, the service was just okay, and the value was just not there. I don't mind paying a premium for good food. Tony's will be a hard pass for me in the future.

View attachment 523876

Our next scheduled meal is dinner at Skipper's Canteen tonight.
Yeah, that meal looks VERY lackluster. Thanks for the reviews. I'm currently reading them to lift my spirits up here in chilly VT where I just booked our Feb. 2022 trip. I missed the trip this year so much. I'm a teacher and need that sunny break. Can't wait until next February and your reviews are very fun to read and helpful!

Loving your review! Thanks for sharing!!

Thank you!

Thank you for sharing this. I've been missing dining reports sooooo much!

Thanks! I also miss dining reports... that's why I decided to write this one!

omg $9 for coffee at CG :headache: And $17 for pudding cake :scared: Just when I think I am used to Disney prices ...:crutches:

Yes! And upon closer inspection of my receipt... we were charged twice for coffee... $18 for coffee!!! :crazy2:

I very much enjoyed reading your reviews!

The sizes of your app and dessert at Tony's in relation to the prices is appalling! I ate there once years ago and have not considered going back since and reports like your make me remember why. I agree with the person who said they can't believe Disney hasn't stepped up their game at this restaurant.

I totally agree with your thoughts on the loaded fries at the Plaza. I ordered that for my meal because I was expecting a filling, cheesy plate of goodness, but was disappointed by what came to the table. They were good, but just basically fries with a little melted shredded cheese and salad on top.

I really can't wait for the dining plan to come back! We always use it, either with free dining, bounce back or purchased and I really missed it on our December trip. We only went to a handful of sit down restaurants due to the prices and it felt like something was missing. We still had an awesome vacation and were super glad that we decided to go, but I look forward to being able to order anything I want off the menu without looking at the prices and being downright obligated to eat dessert at every meal. :)

Thanks very much!

Now that I've gone back and looked at my photos and review, I'm even more disappointed with Tony's. Unless they make some big changes... never again!

I also CAN'T WAIT for the dining plan to return!! We didn't deny ourselves on this trip (obviously :rotfl2:), and it was pricey. Because I'm also a glutton for punishment, I added up all the receipts for our food and it was FAR more than we would have spent for the dining plan - or even the deluxe dining plan :faint:

I really enjoyed your report! Congrats on 20 years and your adoption. My nieces and nephew joined our family through foster to adopt. It’s a beautiful and complicated journey!

Thank you! You're so right - foster/adoption is such a complicated, but beautiful journey! We'd do it all again 100 times for our kids! ❤

Great review!

Thank you!

Yeah, that meal looks VERY lackluster. Thanks for the reviews. I'm currently reading them to lift my spirits up here in chilly VT where I just booked our Feb. 2022 trip. I missed the trip this year so much. I'm a teacher and need that sunny break. Can't wait until next February and your reviews are very fun to read and helpful!

Thanks so much! February 2022 is only 10 months away!! We are tentatively planning our next trip for Summer of 2022 and can't wait! Hopefully the world and Disney will be mostly back to normal by 2022!

I just binged your report. Great photos and reviews.

I am also allergic to coffee. You are the only person I know of with this allergy (besides my deceased grandma.)

Well, that was a great dining review! I just read through the whole thing, First one in a year! I decided to read some since I have to make ADR's next week for our June trip. Likewise, I was there in October at Beach Club Villas. Also in November at Yacht Club, but I can barely remember any of the meals. Next time I'm going to make a review. Thank you for taking time to do yours, and you two really are blessed and make a beautiful couple.

I just binged your report. Great photos and reviews.

I am also allergic to coffee. You are the only person I know of with this allergy (besides my deceased grandma.)

Thank you!!

Wow, I've never known anybody else who is allergic to coffee. I'm sorry that you have to deal with it, too... but thanks for helping me feel a little less weird! 😉

Well, that was a great dining review! I just read through the whole thing, First one in a year! I decided to read some since I have to make ADR's next week for our June trip. Likewise, I was there in October at Beach Club Villas. Also in November at Yacht Club, but I can barely remember any of the meals. Next time I'm going to make a review. Thank you for taking time to do yours, and you two really are blessed and make a beautiful couple.

That's so sweet of you to say, thanks very much! We do, indeed, feel very blessed. I look forward to reading your reviews after your June trip! 🥰

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter