9 Year old - DDP

Calgary DISHeads

DIS Veteran
princess: I booked my daughter in as a 10 year old, so we could be flexible with dining, ie: she wouldn't need to eat chicken fingers every night. We also have an 11 year old. What I want to make sure if that I can be flexible with those credits before I make all of my PS's. My question is - I will not get questioned if I choose to order and pay for a children's meal and not use the credits? Also, for the shows Hoop de Doo etc, I want to pay for both DS who is 11 and DD who is 9 OOP for these as it is crazy to use four dining credits for the two of them. Will this be allowed? I'm worried that we will make all of these great plans before we go, then when we get there they will tell me I can't do it - it's amazing how far 40 adult credits can go when you can pay for some kids meal's OOP. Thanks for everyone's help. I have read through the threads and it appears it is okay, but would really like some feedback from someone who has experienced it, especially at the dinner shows. Also, if you book in at CRS - are the pictures included? Is that why it is two credits? :cool1:

What does deleted mean? I hope my post did not sound dishonest, I am paying extra to have her upgraded - and for my 11 year old, I am referring to the dinner shows where 11 and under are considered kids. Have I committed some faux pas?

I am not sure what you are asking, but I will answer what I think you are asking. I don't know of any dinner shows where 10 and 11 are considered kids. Every place I know of, over 9 is considered an adult. Your room key is your dinner ticket also. It will show 4 adults. I am not sure how you would prove that your children listed on your room key as adults are really children.

Dinner shows/Character Dining are the places that make what you are planning difficult. Your resort ID"s will say one thing and your going to tell the CM's something different and it becomes an issue. I think for this you really have to figure out which is what you want to do and stick with it--no going both ways with it. You either pay what is expected for the one as a child or you push the child's age up a year an purchase based on adult. Whichever you choose you will have to stick to. As for dinner shows and character meals and CS, etc. a child is under 10 and an adult price begins at 10 and over. So you'd be paying the full price for the 11 year old regardless,
You are correct in that you chose to do the right thing by purchasing the adult plan based on food offerings and your child's taste preferences, and at most TS you can choose to pay OOP for your 9 YO and save her adult credits to feed adults especially if what she wants is a child's meal then by paying with a dining credit would be a waste of $$. In additon to the DDP you are then paying the adult price for her theme park ticket as well. Since it is all tied together you may want to think about which is the better scenario for your family and your DD's needs--then stick to that one or the other but not both where dinner shows and character dining are concerned.
Perhaps you are not aware that the ages for dinner shows and character meals have been synchronized with the ages on the DP? These were changed last summer. It threw me for a loop when I first heard it as well, and then after checking the menus for CS for the under 10 crowd I was really disappointed. If your child has tastes like an adult and would not be happy withthe children's plan, I agree you should purchase her the adult plan--you will all be happier. I wish I had done this in December since she did not like any fo the CS options and I ended up paying OOP for her lunch CS and she used her CS for Mickey Waffles for breakfast. Dinner's were fine since we did three character meals and the two other TS were at 50's Primetime (she likes their children's meals) and Cap'n Jack's--where like Le Cellier, Concourse Steakhouse, Coral Reef, etc. the kids meals are mini versions of adult meals.

Aah - now I get it... I was reading old material - it said that for the dinner shows the kids were 11 and under and I didn't want to use 4 adult credits if I didn't need to. The intent is absolutely to use the adult meals where she wants them, but if all she wants is something light (or any of us do), that we can purchase something else. Like you said I am purchasing adult tickets and paying the extra money, and actually just purchased MNSSHP tickets and had to pay for the adult price for my daughter even though she is 9 because our reservations are set up that way. Thanks for your help. This is a minefield to navigate! One more question, I know many places allow sharing - would this be the case at California Grill? I know we can't eat 4 apps, entrees', desserts.Just made our dining reservations and got everything we wanted. Spooky.

I think I would pay for the childs plan. You get so much food that you could easily share your meal if there wasnt something she wanted on the childrens menu. As mentioned many ts meals are mini versions of adult meals and the childrens appetizers are great. I would really look at where you are planning on dining and go from there. If your doing a buffet or two and dining at Lecellier or coral reef you may want to just buy the childrens plan. At some cs places I ate the childrens meal and my son ate an adult meal. Cosmic rays childrens meal had a wonderful chicken salad. It still came with the same adult dessert as all counter services do. At the sci fi dine in I could have easily shared my appetizer, meal and dessert. Coral Reef the children get to order an adult appetizer then the childrens meals are similar to adults meals. We also ate at chef mickeys and of course it a buffet so your daughter could choose whichever. Maybe your 11 year old would want chicken strips or a kids meal once or twice as well? Just a thought! :confused3

texasthree said:
I think I would pay for the childs plan. You get so much food that you could easily share your meal if there wasnt something she wanted on the childrens menu. As mentioned many ts meals are mini versions of adult meals and the childrens appetizers are great. I would really look at where you are planning on dining and go from there. If your doing a buffet or two and dining at Lecellier or coral reef you may want to just buy the childrens plan. At some cs places I ate the childrens meal and my son ate an adult meal. Cosmic rays childrens meal had a wonderful chicken salad. It still came with the same adult dessert as all counter services do. At the sci fi dine in I could have easily shared my appetizer, meal and dessert. Coral Reef the children get to order an adult appetizer then the childrens meals are similar to adults meals. We also ate at chef mickeys and of course it a buffet so your daughter could choose whichever. Maybe your 11 year old would want chicken strips or a kids meal once or twice as well? Just a thought! :confused3
I have to agree here. There is way more then chicken tenders on most TS menu for kids. At most CS you can order all adult meals on the plan no problem. Credits are not kid, adult just credits. I wonder why spend the money when even if you got the kids meals plan your DD would proably eat just as well. You are paying for adult tickets not just the $25 more a day for dining. With that money you could pay OOP for the few meals she wouldn't want to order of the kids menu and proably still have left over money :confused3

Calgary DISHeads said:
Thanks for your help. This is a minefield to navigate! One more question, I know many places allow sharing - would this be the case at California Grill? I know we can't eat 4 apps, entrees', desserts.Just made our dining reservations and got everything we wanted. Spooky.

No problem sharing at California Grill--that's one of the places where the children's menu is "mini adult" so you could stretch your credits by using four for the two adults and have the kids order kids meals--the kids rice crispy sushi is really cute--my kids loved it! BTW you need 8 TS credits for Hoop-Dee-Doo for the four of you to eat there--like the signature dining (Cali Grill, Flying Fish, Narcoosee's, Yachtman's Steakhouse, etc.)

At most CS you can order all adult meals on the plan no problem. Credits are not kid, adult just credits.

I do have to disagree with this though since we were not able to order "adult" choices for my DD in December. The cashier stated that we would have to order what was stated on the card--she could not have a cheeseburger or hotdog she had to have the "weenies and beans" --OK lady you tell her that LOL! :lmao: I ended up ordering her meals OOP (except for one where my DD trumped the system by going with her brother when he ordered a cheeseburger and ordering chicken planks). I believe that if you were to go up to the CS twice you might be able to get 2 adult CS with each trip and no problems but if you are ordering for the whole family at once it will not work--at least it didn't for me. That is why I paid OOP for her CS (usually just adding an entree and a cup of ice water--she drank my soda and I drank the water--there were always enough fries to share! Her CS credits were used for Mickey waffles at the food court in the AM).

I'm sorry - what I should have pointed out (duh) is that this during "free dining" which makes this make so much sense ie: we only have to upgrade the ticket part of it to get her free adult dining. I'm sure now it makes more sense to everyone - if it doesn't still please let me know.... And. boy I'd just like to tell you all how much I appreciate all of your help, I tend to fade away during vacations but all of you are there to help all of us no matter when - thanks, you'll be hearing lots from me in the next few months - (we are there Sept 29 to Oct 9) :wave2:

You cannot pay partial credit on dinner shows. All of your party has to be paid for with the dining plan or out of pocket. They will not seperate them. I asked when I called and a friend asked when paying for hers. Hope that helps!

I think I would pay for the childs plan.

I don't think that now she has booked her child as 10, she can go back and say, Well Gee I am sorry, I did not know how old my child is and she is really 9".

Also not sure how many future trips you have planned to Disney, but she will age in their computers this way from now on. You basically have taken a year away from her in the Disney computer system.

With the increase in tickets, I just can't imagine this is saving alot of money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter