95 through Richmond?

suevee

<font color=red>I am in a frenzy!<br><font color=r
Is it better to go straight thru or take the beltway around Richmond and reconnect with 95 south of Richmond? Thx

We always take the beltway going to and coming from Myrtle Beach, slightly longer in miles but much less traffic and stress. As I recall the speed limit drops a lot going straight through, not that many people pay much attention, but I feel more comfortable cruising at high speeds on I-295.

Bill From PA

Taking 295 in about 10 minutes. Thanks

Thank you. Took beltway was a breeze.

I know you went through already from your other post but this will help others. Going south there is a sign before the I-95/I-295 split that tells you how much time each will take, I believe it shows you the mileage as well. I forget exactly how long before the split it is located but enough time for you to make a decision and get in the proper lane.

On the way to Myrtle Beach this past April the time was almost the same so we decided to go I-95. Just before we go to the curve at exit 82, I think it's the Chamberlayne Rd exit, traffic came to a stop. A pick up truck towing a camper had jackknifed blocking all lanes of traffic. Luckily it didn't seem that anyone was hurt it was just after the exit. We actually got to it just as the police were arriving and quick enough that google maps was not really picking up a lot of traffic on it's traffic layer. They detoured everyone off at the exit and luckily again it was pretty easy to get back on at the next on ramp. The whole thing probably only cost us about 5 extra mins. We had friends who were traveling behind us who had not made it to the split yet. My wife texted them and they took I-295.

Last edited:
Think 295 easier. Can maintain a good speed and low traffic. If time is same I would choose 295.

Take that route often to MB too. Even if the sign says it should take a few minutes longer, we always pick up 295 to avoid that section of 95 as the road is so much better designed to handle the flow of traffic IMO.

This coming from the woman who will drive from Breezewood, down thru Winchester and cut over to 95 to avoid going anywhere near the ‘scary’ DC beltway lol.

This coming from the woman who will drive from Breezewood, down thru Winchester and cut over to 95 to avoid going anywhere near the ‘scary’ DC beltway lol.

Same here. Wilkes-Barre, Pa to Winchester, to Fredericksburg to points South, Myrtle Beach June 25.

Bill From PA

Is it better to go straight thru or take the beltway around Richmond and reconnect with 95 south of Richmond? Thx
We live in Richmond, unless you're going through late at night or early morning, I'd take 295 around Richmond - it's crazy how much less traffic there is - and a higher speed limit, so it'll almost always take less time. 95 through Richmond can be fine, but often has crashes and in general is just slower and has way more traffic than 295.

How is I-295 on a Friday morning around 9am-10am during the summer??
Much better than going through Richmond on I-95. With the speed higher and less traffic, I would take I-295 around Richmond if I was traveling that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!