A cancellation question for you folk!

detroitdad

DIS Veteran
I was able to book a 2-bedroom @ Hilton Head @ 7 months for the week prior to Easter (checking in 3/24/02). Ideally, we would like to go Easter week, checking in on 3/31/02. I was able to get all the days for Easter week reserved as well with a waitlist for Monday 4/1/02 only.

If I'm understanding it correctly, we would need to have the waitlist come through at least 30 days prior to arrival, in order to cancel the other reservation with a full refund of points, right?

So just to be safe and that we at least keep our first reservation secure, I should play the waitlist game until 30 days prior to 3/24/01. (since anything coming through after that would have the points on the earlier reservation going into a holding account).

Did I make any sense? My idea is to wait it out until 2/19/02 (added a couple days as a buffer) for the monday waitlist too come through.

Can you tell this is my first time booking a trip???

Dean

P.S. So by the way, what do you think my chances of Easter monday becoming available anyway? I guess it really doesn't matter since we have the week prior all set. Was just hoping to avoid taking our daughter out of school.

Sounds like you only want to stay 1 week, have a reservation secured for your 2nd choice week and most of your 1st choice. You're hoping for one day to come through on the waitlist to complete your 1st choice week. If the waitlist comes through, you will cancel the 2nd choice week.

I think your plan to wait to cancel until just before the points go into the holding account is OK if you will still be able to bank the "freed up" points or use them for another vacation before the end of your use year.

No one can really say if the waitlist will come through, but many have reported good results by using it. You only need one day and have a lot of time before your vacation. I think your chances are pretty good.

Good luck!

You need to cancel 31 days out to avoid the holding account. At the 30 day mark they take you off of the wait list unless you call and ask to be kept on. Same thing applies 7 days out.

I hope your day comes through but having a back-up was an excellent way to plan!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter