A couple of questions about California Grill

Flibbity

a biBBiddi boBBiddi bOo
I was hoping somebody may be able to help me :)

My husband and I are scheduled to go to MVMCP on Dec. 11th. I was thinking of having California Grill for dinner as we will most likely stay at the Contemporary.

I have 2 questions:

1. What is the earliest seating time for California Grill?

2. How long does dinner usually take at California Grill?

I don't mind being a little late for MVMCP, especially if we are staying at the Contemporary, but I am not looking for a 3 hour dinner, either :)

Thanks for any help in advance!

The first seating is either 5 or 5:30, pretty sure 5:30. Dinner really depends on you. My husband and I like to go and eat, we don't take a long time and we are in and out in an easy 1 1/2. Very do-able for the MVMCP. Nice walk over to MK after dinner also.

We eat at CG often--I'd echo the hour to an hour and a half time frame. And that's with drinks, an appetizer, and dessert.

California Grille is the worst at meeting your priority seating time. In our experiences, we typically have to wait 30 to 60 minutes beyond our PS time to get seated. Having a very early seating will minimize this problem, but if you are going during prime time, look out. On fireworks nights, this problem is extreme.

Dinner is typically in the 60 to 80 minute range depending on the number of courses. First seating is 5:30 pm.

Troy

I don't know if I could say it's the worst for meeting PS's, although it's far from the best. I think a lot has to do with timing. The OP is looking for a first seating PS (5:30) which is a rather slow time for them. Anytime we've eaten early like that, we've been seated immediately and service has been fast.

For a seating when they first open I don't think you'll need to worry about being seated more than about five minutes past your PS time :)

Anne

I agree with Anne...for an early PS you'll be seated almost right away. We've dined there many times and the only time I remember more than a few minutes wait was on one occasion when my husband wanted to wait for a table in the "wine room." That night we also weren't dining as early as we usually do.

Closer to fireworks, there probably would be a wait because no matter how the restaurant schedules PS, no one can anticipate how many tables will linger to try to catch the fireworks.

An hour and a half sounds about right to me, too.

90 minutes should work fine if we can sit at 5:30... That would mean at 7:00pm we could walk over to MVMCP...

Even if we miss the first 1/2 hour of MVMCP, I don't think I'll be too upset :)

THanks for all your help!!!! I think I'm going to go for the CG that night early!

They begin seating at 5:30. We just got back from our trip and we always eat the CG - our absolute favorite. And it measured up again this trip! We always make a PS for 5:30 but check in around 5:20. This year we waited til 5:30 to check in and there were about 5 parties already checked in and waiting. However, our wait was only 5 minutes and we got a window table. The restaurant was not busy - even when we left at about 7:00. There were many empty tables. BTW, we were there on Saturday, July 26th.

I hope you enjoy this restaurant as much as we do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter