A dining plan question

smt218

Mouseketeer
Hi,
I was wondering about the table service meals. Do you tell your waiter when you sit down you are on the dining plan? Or do you just tell them when you pay?

Thanks

I informed the server before ordering. All seemed to appreciate it and a few thanked us for doing so. I guess they have to key your order in differently if you are on the DP.

Actually, I doubt the order gets keyed in different. Rather, if you inform the server in advance, they can help you understand what is and isn't included on the plan. That helps both you and them, as you're not disappointed in the end by getting an unexpected cash bill for something that wasn't included.

In May, most servers asked us. THey would then proceed to tell us what was on the plan. One commented "Excellent value. You can order any one here (pointing to appetizers), any one entree, and any one dessert. I will bring you a better dessert menu later. The children can order an adult entree. Smoothies are included on the plan at this restaurant. My favorite appetizers are......" At Planet Hollywood we were told that we could order any appetizer except the platter (because that is for 4 people and there are only 2 of you.) She then explained that all other categories could be used as an entree.

It didn't seem to matter whether we mentioned it or not, but we got better information when we told the server. At the Teppanyaki restaurant, they took our KTTW cards at the beginning of the meal.

As to keying it in differently, they usually brought a receipt showing the charges with a line for 18% gratuitiy DDP for me to sign and a separate receipt to keep showing all $0 and TS credits remaining.

Ok, I was on free dining last year and I was never told that something wasn't "on the plan" I know you can only have 1 appetizer, 1 entree, 1 dessert and 1 drink per meal however from what I understand there are no restrictions except at the DD resturaunts. Am I missing something :confused3 I never informed the server that I was on the dining plan and when the plan was instituted I was informed my CRO that you could order whatever you wanted at the Disney Resturaunts.

So my ? is, are the Epcot resturaunts that are not owned by disney putting provisions on the Dining plan? Because if so, they shouldn't be able to participate in the plan since Disney intended it to be without provisions.

Evidently, Disney didn't intend it to be without provisions. They simply don't have exclusions in their restaurants. As it is, there are very few exclusions overall.

Rely on the information in the brochure (the link to the brochure is posted every few days, and is in the FAQ) and you won't be surprised or disappointed by anything.

We recently returned from 2 weeks at WDW (last week of April, first week of May) and were asked by every server prior to ordering. There are limitations, but each place is different: some let you do the add-ons (like shrimp); while there are limited on deserts (LeCell--can't do desert sampler, unless 2 people combine) and B&C--can't do kitchen sink. I had read there were even more limits at MamaMelrose, but don't know first-hand. You can't get the speciality drinks (lighted ice cubes, though some folks reported they were allowed). So it's always best to be upfront and let your server guide you.

kcashner said:
In May, most servers asked us. THey would then proceed to tell us what was on the plan. One commented "Excellent value. You can order any one here (pointing to appetizers), any one entree, and any one dessert. I will bring you a better dessert menu later. The children can order an adult entree. Smoothies are included on the plan at this restaurant. My favorite appetizers are......" At Planet Hollywood we were told that we could order any appetizer except the platter (because that is for 4 people and there are only 2 of you.) She then explained that all other categories could be used as an entree.

It didn't seem to matter whether we mentioned it or not, but we got better information when we told the server. At the Teppanyaki restaurant, they took our KTTW cards at the beginning of the meal.

As to keying it in differently, they usually brought a receipt showing the charges with a line for 18% gratuitiy DDP for me to sign and a separate receipt to keep showing all $0 and TS credits remaining.

This has also been our experience. I appreciated the servers' help with the menu, and since we are taking newbies this summer, I will appreciate the help again! Also, the only time we ran into 'provisions' was when something was worth two credits, like the fondue at GF Cafe counts as two desserts. I don't see a problem with that.

n2mm said:
We recently returned from 2 weeks at WDW (last week of April, first week of May) and were asked by every server prior to ordering. There are limitations, but each place is different: some let you do the add-ons (like shrimp); while there are limited on deserts (LeCell--can't do desert sampler, unless 2 people combine) and B&C--can't do kitchen sink. I had read there were even more limits at MamaMelrose, but don't know first-hand. You can't get the speciality drinks (lighted ice cubes, though some folks reported they were allowed). So it's always best to be upfront and let your server guide you.

We had absolutely no limitations at Mamma melroses. Like I said we didn't have ANY limitations when we used it last year and believe me, we like the finer foods ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter