A few questions-first RCCL cruise

tallygirl

Mouseketeer
We are going on our first RCCL cruise, Allure of the Seas, in November. So far, we've only sailed Disney but our son and his family want to try Royal. We will be four adults and two children, girls ages 5 and 7. I have a few questions I can't find answers to if any one can help, thank you.

On Coco Cay (not doing the water park), what is a good area for families to hang out that's not too far from food and restrooms?

I know the Solarium is the adult area but is the Solarium Bistro adults only too or all ages? What kind of food is served? I'm thinking it might be an alternative to the Windjammer on embarkation day.

How far out can you reserve shows?

How far out can you see the menus on the app? I've seen the 7 days of menus but our sailing is only 4 nights so wondering which menus we'll have.

None of us will be getting the alcohol package, everyone is fine with the included drinks. But I like ice with all my drinks, is there an ice machine near the tea and lemonade dispensers?

Thank you for any help

There are lots of areas on cococay to hang out as a family- primarily the beaches. All are within a 5 min walk of the various food stands. As for entertainment, look in your cruise planner on their website. Typically reservations open about 90 days out. If you see no availability, don’t worry! There is ALWAYS room at every show. They let everyone in without a reservation about 20 min beforehand. Don’t miss the aqua show!

The solarium was just bumped up to 18, but on our recent royal cruise, my 2 kids aged 16 and 13 weren’t hassled or told to leave. The solarium bistro is available for everyone for breakfast and lunch. Dinner is a reservation. I found the food there to have more of a European style than what’s in the windjammer. If your kids are the typical pancakes and waffles type, you’re better off in the windjammer or main dining room. Have fun!

Also- there are ice dispensers in the windjammer and solarium bistro. Also on the coke freestyle machines, but you’d need a bev package to access them.

One more thing- the dinner menus should be on your royal app. If not, just goggle it. Typically each night is a theme night- welcome aboard, Italian, French, bon voyage, royal dinner (lobster night) etc.

My family (we have a 4 and 7 year old) loves Coco Cay! We prefer Oasis Lagoon which is the very large pool on the island and Harbor Beach which is the more enclosed beach area. We like that both areas are pretty centralized. Also, Splashaway Bay is a great kids water play area, especially for younger kids. Don’t forget to check out Snack Shake for food in addition to the buffets.

We always visit Solarium bistro on embarkation day. The Windjammer will be packed. All ages are welcome during breakfast and lunch. I believe dinner may be 18+ only (like the rest of the solarium) but I’m not positive about that. Solarium bistro is a smaller buffet. There is usually a small area with select hot items, then your salad bar, meats, cheeses, fruit and dessert area. It seems to focus more on slightly healthier options. You are not going to find burgers and hot dogs at the solarium, but we have never left hungry and we can always find something the kids will enjoy.
Have a great time!

Everything seems spot on so far about your questions, but will add some detail about Allure and the Solarium dinner. In the evening, it is the only ship that does this, but it turns into the Samba Grill. It technically is a specialty dining venue that is a Brazilian steakhouse. You will make reservations and it operates more like one of the other specialty restaurants than how is does in the daytime.

The dining is set for you with an actual reservation time for your party. The will seat you and you have the opportunity to go grab a few small dishes/salads from the buffet area. They will bring some vegetables and other side dishes to the table, served family style. You can request more of anything that you want from these dishes. They will bring around the skewers of meats and offer them to you. I think there were 7 options for the meats but I have seen an older list of 8 options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter