A Grand Birthday! TR June 2018 *UPDATED x2 8/1 Breakfast at GFC and Incredible Expo*

mindylee847

DIS Veteran
Hello and welcome to my trip report! :wave:

It's been quite some time since I've been on the boards. I've had a lot of life happening and I'm currently in the middle of a study break as I'm going for my CPA exam. I wanted to get back into this community because I just love it so much and I have an amazing trip planned in less than two weeks from now! So let's just dive right in.

My husband and I will be going to Disney World from Thursday, June 21st through Sunday, June 24th. Here we are on the Wild Africa Trek we took in February this year.

We are currently annual passholders. I wanted to finally go to a Disney Park on my birthday so we decided that this would be the year! We are staying at The Grand Floridian.

This is our second trip going as vegans so that'll be an interesting time for us. I've been doing a lot of research on what and where to eat. February was actually a very easy and delicious experience so I'm looking forward to eating all the things we can!

Some trip highlights to expect:
:hyper: Victoria and Albert's
:hyper: Couple's Massage at Senses
:hyper: Fireworks Cruise on the Seven Seas Lagoon
:hyper: Typhoon Lagoon H2O Party

I'll make sure to post a few of the things we love and what we are looking forward to in a post before we head out for our long weekend! Thanks for following along!

Sounds like such a lovely "splurge" trip!!

As an aside I was there in January with my Dad's wife, who is also vegan and she had this amazing "bento box" style meal at California Grill, meaning it was a platter of various items! I don't recall if it was actually on the menu or if the chef made it special but she adored it!

Sounds like such a lovely "splurge" trip!!

As an aside I was there in January with my Dad's wife, who is also vegan and she had this amazing "bento box" style meal at California Grill, meaning it was a platter of various items! I don't recall if it was actually on the menu or if the chef made it special but she adored it!

Welcome! I honestly can't believe the trip we are in for this weekend. It's always been a dream of mine to stay at The Grand Floridian. I've also heard super amazing things about California Grill! We actually had a reservation for dinner there on Thursday night, but we scored Victoria and Albert's and dropped it. It's on my list though to go experience their vegan menu though! I've dined there as a vegetarian there with no issues before.

Sounds like a great trip!! It's this week!!! Good luck on your CPA exam! I work in accounting as well!!

Thank you and welcome! I took two tests this last window (one in April and one at the end of May) and I have yet to hear back! I very well could be 75% done but I have no idea and it's driving me nuts!

:cool1: Less than two days away until our long weekend! I wanted to post our itinerary so you all can kind of see what we have planned, what we are looking forward to, and how well we stick to some of it! I've honestly been changing around days on a weekly basis as new things are announced or certain dining reservations come up.

Our departure time is 5:55 AM CT on Thursday morning. :faint:
But this is our "resort" day we have planned. We're going to eat at Gasparilla after we check in. We have a couple's massage at Senses at 2 PM so we should have some time for a nap/pool time before that. Victoria and Albert's is this night at 7 PM. I've talked with them already and mentioned that we are both vegan and my husband informed them that I don't like beets. (Side note - I keep trying to like beets, but I just can't do it!) I also requested that they offer us some vegan wines. Wines may not always be vegan and sometimes use egg yolks in the filtration process. I have severe lactose intolerance and a very minor egg allergy so I get a bit picky when it comes to wines. I'm hoping (and I'm quite sure) they can accommodate us.

Friday is my birthday! We have a breakfast at Grand Floridian Cafe and we are heading to Magic Kingdom for the day. I have fastpasses for Big Thunder, Splash, and Space Mountain. I booked a dinner at Kona Cafe around 5:15 PM. We want to go to Trader Sam's this time. We've been to the Disneyland one, but have yet to make it to the one at the Poly.

On this night, we have a private boat with captain reserved so we can go out on the lagoon to watch the fireworks. They requested we arrive at 8 PM and they said they will offer some snacks/beverages. One of the main things I wanted to do this trip was watch Happily Ever After. I've been to Disney a LOT since they started this show and I have yet to see it. I know that there are projections on the castle, but I actually have some issues with crowds and things so my husband suggested the boat! How could I say no?

On Saturday, we will be going to Animal Kingdom. I have a breakfast reservation at Tusker House and my main goal will be to see Chip and Dale in their dino costumes! We have fastpasses for the new Up show (Mike's request), Dinosaur, and Everest. (I actually don't care much for Avatar, please don't disown me and stop reading! :lmao:)

Saturday night is the H2O Glow Party at Typhoon Lagoon. I have no idea what to expect but I am excited! I've only ever been to Blizzard Beach but I think it's because we live in Wisconsin. I grew up with Noah's Ark so there wasn't much of a draw to the water parks for us in Disney.

Sunday morning we are headed to Hollywood Studios. I just spent a day there earlier this month since I had to fly down for work but Mike was sad and jealous that he didn't get to go so I switched our EPCOT day to Hollywood. Hollywood is actually my favorite park of the four so I definitely don't mind! I just love the ambiance there and could sit at Baseline and people watch for a few hours and be totally content. Anyways - we have fastpasses for Beauty and the Beast, Tower of Terror, and Star Tours. I couldn't snag a reasonable time for Rock 'n as this is our departure day so Mike wants to rope drop this morning. Midway Mania fastpasses weren't available either - no surprise there.

We leave late on Sunday night and I have to be at work bright and early Monday morning because all my vacation days have been booked up for other Disney trips! :thumbsup2

That's it for now! Thank you so much for reading along.

I think this itinerary sounds absolutely fantastic!!!
I've been to Disney a LOT since they started this show and I have yet to see it.
LOL!! Me too. I'm sure I will get to see it from the Poly beach in August, but I'm still not sure if we'll see it "front on with the castle" even though we're there for 9 days. So many other plans, seem to take precedence.
I actually don't care much for Avatar
I'm with you. I never saw the movie. I think Pandora is a visually stunning land, but the FOP ride itself is just ok, I mean in comparison to what Universal does with 3D, I don't feel the need to ride it over and over again.

I think this itinerary sounds absolutely fantastic!!!

LOL!! Me too. I'm sure I will get to see it from the Poly beach in August, but I'm still not sure if we'll see it "front on with the castle" even though we're there for 9 days. So many other plans, seem to take precedence.

I'm with you. I never saw the movie. I think Pandora is a visually stunning land, but the FOP ride itself is just ok, I mean in comparison to what Universal does with 3D, I don't feel the need to ride it over and over again.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one on BOTH of these things! I'm quite ashamed that I haven't caught the fireworks yet, but there's always been other things on my list to do!

And I completely agree as far as Universal goes. My favorite rides are Spider-Man and Forbidden Journey. I don't think Flight of Passage can even compare! Although - I do really love that ocean-y smell at FOP... but that's about as far as the love goes. :laughing:

Your plans sound so great! I hope you have an amazing trip!! :banana:

Thank you!! I'll be posting to my insta stories and posting some pics there. I'm pretty sure we both follow each other already. @mindylee847 if you aren't following me.

Signing up!
Tho must confess, hate the film Avatar but absolutely love FOP!!

I know quite a few people that feel the same way! I just... I wish it was something I was into. One of the first things I told my husband when I went to see Pandora the first time was, "Man, I wish I liked Avatar." :rotfl2: The whole place is pretty magnificent, but I just like being in the Magical World of Harry Potter more. I'm going to go on FOP again in October so we'll see. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for the journey!

We are back from our trip!! And already busy planning our next. :goodvibes But let's just dive right into our first day!

Day 1 - Part 1: "I was momenting!"

On Thursday, June 21st, we were up at the bright and early time of 3 AM. Our goal was to leave by about 4 AM since our flight was taking off at 5:55 AM. We were flying Southwest and had checked in the night before. I always get Early Bird since I have a bit of trouble flying so I like to definitely make sure my husband is with me. We were A 24 and A 25. We had packed the night before and one of my cats, Yoshi, thought he was coming with.

I was trying to help pack the car and right as I was about to take my first step down, Mike said something to me, so I tried to stop but then practically fell down the stairs. That's when he was like "Slow down! Be careful!" and I shouted back "I was momenting!" and thus, that became our quote for the entire weekend trip.

We arrived at Mitchell International Airport and went pretty quickly through security with about 45 minutes left before boarding. On the way, I snapped a picture of these shirts and thought some people may find them funny.

28158646197_7c872f2101.jpg

The flight was really uneventful until we tried landing in Orlando. We briefly got below the clouds and saw that it was raining and there was a lot of lightning and we went right back up. We circled around for what seemed like forever - but realistically was about an extra 15 minutes before we could land. The pilot had to land us on the other side of the airport as it was supposed to be "not as wet." I took some pretty cool pictures as we just circled around in the sky for a while and I happened to be able to catch the shadow of the plane in the clouds.

28158645797_c75715e4b1.jpg

We landed and made our way straight to the Magical Express. There was no line but Mike was having trouble with his magic band. We had brought along his original 1.0 Haunted Mansion band and it was working pretty hit or miss so we knew we'd be looking for a new one for him.

28158646457_f715625064.jpg

We hopped right onto a bus and The Grand Floridian was the second stop of the trip. The first was the Polynesian. We hadn't gotten an email or text about our room being ready so we made our way to the check in desk. But first, I stopped to admire (but mostly smell) the amazing GF lobby.

28158645137_1f2250401c.jpg

43027780161_fcd2a8ba77.jpg

It was raining quite a lot but what's really great about The Grand is that the main building entrance is completely covered so we didn't get wet at all.

28158645727_83951ded82.jpg

I really wish I could just package this smell. I feel like I sound like a crazy addict, but it just smell so fresh and wonderful in that lobby. We spoke to a wonderful CM at the front desk and our room was ready. We didn't get our request for a King size bed, but it was fine to have a Queen.

Next up - I'll share room pictures and our first food of the trip!

Day One - Part Two: The Room

Last edited:
Is this real life! Is this really happening? I am so pumped. I haven't been on here in forever. What a way to return... commenting on your TR. Welcome back!!

I took some pretty cool pictures as we just circled around in the sky for a while and I happened to be able to catch the shadow of the plane in the clouds.
I have to say that is a pretty cool shot. I've never seen something like that before.

But first, I stopped to admire (but mostly smell) the amazing GF lobby.
Who doesn't... its just that good. You can buy all that smelly stuff on Etsy but it is just not the same as being there.

I feel like I sound like a crazy addict, but it just smells so fresh and wonderful in that lobby.
Of course, you are but duh, its why we are all here. No worries, this is a safe space!

I can't wait to read the rest. I am very jealous!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!