A little clarification, please

cleophus12

DIS Veteran
We have been to Hawaii three times and never done a luau. Even though Paradise Cove is close to Aulani, we didn't do that the last time we were there, and based on reviews I'm not really interested in that one. This time, however, I'd like to go to a decent luau. I am confused about the luau at the Westin. First of all, I can't find a Westin listed near Aulani. The only one I can find is the one in Waikiki. I keep seeing it (the hotel and the luau) referenced on this board, and I'd like to check it out. Does it have a name? Where exactly is it located? Any clarification you can provide would be appreciated.

Westin in waikiki does not have a luau. I think you are thinking of Fia Fia at the marriott but I do not think its open anymore. Yes the Paradise cove is a bit of a cattle call, but the enterntainment is top notch and it is steps away, I would probably do that. If you are or were in the military, the Luau at Hale Koa in waikiki is a really good deal, they use to let anyone in but I think it is just military again, but kids are like free or real cheap. The Monday night at the Royal Hawaiian is real classy and great but it is expensive. My favorite is the Cheifs Luau, but its a drive and not sure if they have busses to Ko Olina, its more like a big beach party, the Cheif use to work the Fia Fia Luau. I have never been to the Polynesain Cultural Center show but it has the best entertainment apparently, but no alchohol. Hilton Hawaiian Village is on top of a parking structure and not recommended, there is another one in waikiki at the Pacific Hotel but it is inside so that is a deal killer. I think there is one at turtle bay but never been there.

All Luaus are overpriced and a little too touristy but you have to do one, just go and have a good time. You can ususally save a few bucks on the discout sites, especially for paradise cove since you will not need transportation

All Luaus are overpriced and a little too touristy but you have to do one, just go and have a good time.

Agree. Most luaus are a "did it, checked it off, won't do it again" experience. But if you must, you might want to check out the Polynesian Cultural Center as suggested above. It has been a long, long time since I was there. But at that time, it was the most "highly" (or frequently) recommended of the lot and by comparison, it was much better than the second (and last) luau that I tried, which was on Maui.
http://www.polynesia.com/dining_and_luau.html

The Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club is the specific name of the resort that is a couple of coves over from Aulani, it is not a Westin. We stayed there in August 2014 and the Fia Fia Luau was happening as we checked in. The kids and I were waiting in the car in the entrance parking area as my hubby went to check in so we got to see about 10 minutes of the show as that entrance looks down onto the lawn where it takes place. I have been to 2 luaus in my life and honestly that was 2 too many LOL but the dancing that I saw at Fia Fia was really good. I have seen many different hula and Hawaiian dancing performances and from a comparison point of view, this was again-really good. I cannot comment on the food or service but really the Marriott is only a 5 minute walk along the lagoon path so it is fairly close too.

Just my opinion, everyone raves about Maui luaus, but I think the performers you get in Oahu are much better, you get some real pros.

My family attended the Fia Fia luau at the Marriott resort in early October. It is only on Tuesday evenings. I called the resort to make reservations. You do pay in advance. There are two price levels; we did the more expensive option to have a closer seat. The show was really good, especially the fire dancers! It was a smaller, more intimate event than Paradise Cove. The food was pretty good - nothing to get excited about. However, I didn't have high expectations for a large buffet.

It seemed that most people attending were guests at the Marriott resort. You could walk from Aulani, but we chose to drive. There is complimentary valet parking for luau guests. While we really enjoyed the Starlit Hui at the resort, I'm glad that we did a luau too. It was fun!

Is the Fia Fia luau at the Marriott that is converting to a Four Seasons?

No, Fia Fia is at the Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club. If you're facing the lagoon, it's to your left. The Marriott (used to be JW Marriott Ihilani) that is now the Four Seasons is to your right.

We also attended Fia Fia last year at the Marriott and enjoyed it. The food was ok, not great. But the show was very good. we were staying at the Marriott at the time, but are hoping to see the show again when we stay at Aulani this spring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter