A parkless trip?

jpolak

DIS Veteran
On our last trip while relaxing at the quiet pool at BCVdw said to me " this place is so nice I could here and not have to go to the parks" What? A trip to wdw and no parks. "We can go to dtd and the other resorts for Dinners and just enjoy our resort during the day. What are your thoughts? Can this actually be done? I'm sure dw could do it, but I might go crazy.

more than once, but just for a short three day weekend. Our son lives near there, so we visit, we shop, we relax, we walk, and we EAT. We intend to go to the parks, since we have an annual pass, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. When we get home, though, I always say "I can't believe I was at WDW and didn't even go into a park".

we are going home for the first time next july and that is my thoughts but feel it would be strange to go all the way (from UK) and not go to the parks. We have been to DW alot over the years and I am now thinking is it a waste of money to pay for 14 days at the parks just for the sake of going when all you want to do it relax.

felt quite guiltly about thinking about NOT going so might look at tickets for a couple of days rather than the 14 days or the yearly pass.

look forward to everybodies thoughts :)

My husband & I were walking around OKW one evening last week & were thinking about taking a parkless trip. The resort is very relaxing.

You've just described our typical vacation (we stay at OKW 3 or 4 times each year). We stopped visiting the parks on every visit when the DVC free park passes ended in 1999.

Now we go to the parks only when there is something new or when traveling with friends or family who NEED the parks. For us relaxing by the pool, riding bicycles, renting a pontoon boat or just walking at the resort keeps us entertained just fine.

Try it. You might be surprised at how pleasant your vacation will be. We were.

We actually just did this in August. I had a little bit of withdraw but my husband said it was the most relaxing trip we have taken to WDW. We had already been three times this year so I guess one trip with out a park was ok. When we were leaving I really did feel relaxed and it was only a long weekend AND we were at my favorite resort-BCV!!! :love:

This is a most excellent way to discover everything else you can do at Disneyworld. And if that isn't enough you can always find something to do outside of the big three (Disney, Universal, Sea World).

That's our plan for the next trip. Four days of the pool all day and Jellyrolls all night :banana:

I certainly see such a trip in our future, particularly if we're "between APs". That's one of the reasons that SSR looked so appealing to us. Lots of scenery to walk around, close to DTD and easy to hop in the car and head off-site.

I'm a firm believer in the concept of "theme park fade", particularly when it comes to DVC owners. After one, two or three decades (or years ;) ) a non-park trip might almost be necessary.

Our very first DVC trip was parkless due to my wife being 8 months pregnant and it was June. We were staying at BCV so the other kids would have Stormalong Bay access and we did DD some and then enjoyed the restaurants at the resorts. You should have seen the OBs face when we told her way early on that we were going to Disney 4 weeks before baby was due :crazy2: This was a Sunday-Thursday trip.

Done it. Loved it. Didn't plan to do it. Just woke up every morning. Breakfast outside by the pool. Do you want to go to a park? Nah! Not today. For ten days!!! At ASMo.

• afternoon naps
  • NCAA March Madness!!!
  • FW
  • boats all around WDW
  • arcade boxing at CR
  • DD
  • woke up late
  • resort hopping
  • 8trax at PI

Fun! Fun! Fun! Add TL to the list and that's heaven.....

We've considered it but never manage to do it. We love to go to dinner at Epcot and you need park admission for that. What we do enjoy doing is hopping from park to park and hitting the new attractions or our favorites. This is so much more relaxing than the marathon we used to do. We're not really into swimming and water sports and we love to walk. Don't think I could stand to be soooo close and not visit the parks.

I've been saying this the past 2 years but we have yet to do it. My solution was to plan a longer trip for next August so I can plan in the 4-5 days of just resort. The resorts are very much an experience on their own.

Wife and I have done it before and will be doing another "parkless" trip in December. (After the first dozen or so commando trips, the next dozen actually enjoying a few days at the parks and a few days at the pool, resort hopping, going to DTD, etc. - it was time to just go to WDW without any plans.) It was great not to HAVE to get up and be amongst the first 1,000 or so lined up at 9:00AM to get in a park. So in Dec. we'll wake up at noon, eat at DTD, other Disney Hotels, and view all the decorations (like the kitchen in our 1BR at SSR.) :rotfl2:
P.S. - OK, I'll probably have to run in EPCOT one day to ride Soarin once or twice!! :rotfl: But other than that - no parks!

We are going for 3 weeks in January, only the first two days are left on our annual pass. The rest of the 3 weeks will be without the parks. the parks just do not it for me anymore. I found "Soarin" the only new attraction worth going on over at EPCOT which years ago was our favorite park. They took down all our favorite rides so we just are not interested in going.

We have never managed to do it so far. We have a hard time not at least popping into one of the parks each day. We enjoy alot of the Epcot food offerings so sometimes we just go to the park for dinner. A parkless trip may happen eventually but I doubt anytime soon.

My kids are park crazy! Even after umteen trips. They wear me out. :faint: They are finally getting to an age where they can tour by themselves but I have to be at the park so they can check in with me. I would love to do a resort only trip but they wouldn't hear of it! :rotfl:

My husband and I have done it several times too. The last being in March 2005 for 3 nights during Spring Training. We stayed at Boardwalk and relaxed at the pool each day, took in a ball game one afternoon, played mini-golf a couple of times with no crowds since everyone was at the parks, and had wonderful dinners each night without the exhaustion of having spent all day at the parks. I recommend it highly if you're looking for a little R&R.

But then there's Fantasmic and Mama Melrose's and Wishes and the 3D Muppet Show and Illuminations and pretzels and turkey legs and and and...

I just have to go in the parks, right now. Maybe in a few years...LOL

Having the luxury of dvc membership and frequent trips to the WORLD, we have done the "no parks" trips a few times. Love the resort pools, always do a few character meals, and or hoop dee do, Ohana's etc. This allows some quality Disney character interactions for the kids. Also we do DD and eat there. The kids will participate in the activities going on at the resorts, they love the arts and craft projects usually available everyday, and don't want to miss a competition or any activities at a resort. We also usually use our DVC discount to rent a boat for an hour or so around one of the lakes. You can also take advantage of pool hoping and check out other resorts. We do a park less visit when we are usually there for about a four to five day stay. There have been times when we have done the parks for the middle day of a five day stay so you can try and limit yourself to a day or two of park viasits and see if you feel cheated. Try and enjoy the many other possibilities available at Disney and realize that as DVC members we will be returning to the WORLD for many more years to come. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter