A Sept 2018 TR...or that trip where nothing went as planned Completed 11/9

Following, and laughing, along:)
I know about the dreaded rush hour Nashville traffic! We lived West of there for several years and I hated driving down I40 to Nashville.
Love your trip report, and your family is precious.

Do You Need A Straw?
So, we've established that we were there over Labor Day weekend. We also know we were there at the start of the Food & Wine Festival. Holiday weekend + food and wine + world showcase = a sea of people in very tight spaces. This was totally my fault for not thinking of that to begin with, and I take full responsibility. Keep that in mind for the information ahead. :car::car::car:

But first I'll back up a bit. We left Epcot around 2'ish. Remember, Micheal had taken Miles back to the room at least 30 min prior, maybe more. So, we make the walk back with my sister and her family after the Pixar shorts. We even take time to pose on the bridge and get lots of photos of the kids, my sister's family, the view.

20180902_144922 resized.jpg

We arrived back at the hotel and there was Micheal, just laying Miles down on the bed asleep. He turned to us in surprise, and says he can't believe we're walking in. He JUST got back.

Super confused, I asked what on earth he'd been doing. He says that first of all, it was difficult making it through the crowds in WS with the stroller, and second of all he stopped at Ample Hills Creamery for a milkshake. He said once he got in line he realized his mistake. The place was packed, and with the stroller he had no way of easy escape. He had no choice but to wait in line. The very, very long line. As such, he had JUST gotten back seconds before us.

:eek:

Bless him.

We relaxed for the afternoon. The air conditioning was glorious. Our FEA FP+ was from 4:45-5:45. We decided to leave the room at 5:25. I knew there was a chance we might be a couple minutes late, but with the grace period we should be fine. Only, remember my opening lines? I did not account for the massive crowds the evening hours would bring in. It was like Magic Kingdom the night before, only worse because it was the narrower walkways of WS.

When we arrived at Frozen Ever After, it was 6:04. I know this for a fact because the CM said she was sorry, but we were 19 minutes late. NINETEEN! :confused3

Luckily, the CM took pity on us. She did admonish us to take greater care in getting to our FP's on time, but she let us through. ***Thank you, FEA CM lady! I totally know you had the power to shut us down, and you had mercy on us instead. We did not take this lightly!***

We rode FEA, and Miles enjoyed it. Ashlyn enjoys this ride, but she couldn't get past the fact that her seat was wet when she climbed in, and now she was going to have a wet butt. :rotfl2: I actually really, really like this ride, so I loved it (though I did feel really badly about being so late, and I kept thinking about it). On a side note, I love the guy behind us.

EPCOT_FROZENRIDE_20180902_413181909081.jpg

After the ride, we backtracked to the Mexico pavillion. I realized as I was preparing this update that I didn't take any photos of the pavillion or our meal. You'll have to settle for my words only (sorry).

We browsed the inside of the pyramid while we waited for my sister and her family, so we could check in for our ADR. Ashlyn got some more pressed pennies, which made her happy. They have some really cool stuff in there, and we enjoyed the Coco windows in the entry.

At last, my sister and her family arrived (late, I might add, because they also didn't account for getting through the crowds...this made me feel slightly better). We checked in for our ADR, and it wasn't long before we were seated. Our waitress was fantastic. She was funny, engaging, and quick.

Unfortunately, that's really all I have nice to say about San Angel Inn. Gosh, do you want me to really tell you about the food? It makes me feel kind of terrible to say. It wasn't good, y'all. It wasn't good. The chips that came out with the salsa were stale. Then, when our main courses came out, the beans and rice were room temperature. Now, the meat was good and hot. But it was vastly overshadowed by the mediocre sides.

Anyway, two funny (at least to me) things happened during our meal. First of all, when our waitress brough our drinks, she held out straws and asked if anyone wanted one. My brother in law, who is a funny man at all times, takes a straw with wide eyes, and a look of excitement on his face. "Look! They have straws!" he says to me.

Remember a couple nights before, and our "interesting" experience at KFC? We had a conversation that night about me reading here on the DIS that WDW was not giving out straws anymore. I said I was really annoyed by this because...well, I just was! I suppose I went on and on about it because...I was tired. Let's just go with that. :rotfl:

We all had a good laugh over the availability of straws, and the waitress had apparently heard other guests discussing this because she joined right in and said yes, they were happy to give them out especially if guests asked for them. And my brother in law made a big show of saying, "Well, I guess this shows us all that we can't believe everything we read on the internet!"

Who'd have thought, right? :littleangel:

Right before we were ready to leave the restaurant, a group of San Angel Inn CM's came out with a bowl of ice cream and a candle. They sang a moving rendition of a birthday song while holding out the ice cream to me. (My birthday was coming up on Friday) I smiled and thanked them when they were finished, but it didn't matter.

Before I could get out a sentence they had literally spun around to the table directly behind ours, and they immediately began singing the same moving rendition to the birthday guest at that table.

I stared, open mouthed. No one at my table spoke.

"Well," I said. "Somehow this makes it less special."

Again, we all had a good laugh. We left the restaurant and headed over to ride the Gran Fiesta Tour. We enjoyed this quite a bit, and it was our first time riding. Ashlyn had read in a guide book about a hidden Mickey on this ride. I can't remember what it was, but I do know she found it much to her delight.

20180902_193138 resized.jpg

(Look, I did take a picture!) My little family called it a night at that point. My sister and her family stayed in Epcot for a while. They wanted to see Illuminations, and this was the only day they planned to go into Epcot at all so it was their only chance.

I think we may have gone swimming when we got back to the resort, and then it was bedtime. The next day was our rest day, and our Bon Voyage Breakfast at the Boardwalk. It turned out to be a great day, and I'm excited to share it with you. I'll leave you with a selfie I found of our first day, on our balcony. TTFN!

IMG_4806~photo.jpg

Last edited:
Following, and laughing, along:)
I know about the dreaded rush hour Nashville traffic! We lived West of there for several years and I hated driving down I40 to Nashville.
Love your trip report, and your family is precious.

Thanks for joining in! Yes, going to Nashville is not my husband's favorite thing ;).

Joining in. We're also renting points for a BVW room for our upcoming trip. Glad to hear you liked it so much!

I hope you enjoy it! We loved it :).

The stories of the days when the parks are so crowded make me wonder. Is anyone having a good time? Glad you guys made the most of it!

Luckily, the CM took pity on us. She did admonish us to take greater care in getting to our FP's on time, but she let us through. ***Thank you, FEA CM lady! I totally know you had the power to shut us down, and you had mercy on us instead. We did not take this lightly!***
Thank goodness. The first day of Food & wine, there had be a hand full of people coming in late and all that.

Unfortunately, that's really all I have nice to say about San Angel Inn. Gosh, do you want me to really tell you about the food? It makes me feel kind of terrible to say. It wasn't good, y'all. It wasn't good. The chips that came out with the salsa were stale. Then, when our main courses came out, the beans and rice were room temperature. Now, the meat was good and hot. But it was vastly overshadowed by the mediocre sides.
My husband had said once, that we should try San Angel Inn. And I said sure, but that the food reviews are pretty much all bad. He chanced his mind immediately. It is just a shame, I really don't know if I have read a review where someone raved about the food. At best, someone will say it is just ok.

Remember a couple nights before, and our "interesting" experience at KFC? We had a conversation that night about me reading here on the DIS that WDW was not giving out straws anymore. I said I was really annoyed by this because...well, I just was! I suppose I went on and on about it because...I was tired. Let's just go with that. :rotfl:
Ha! I am personally more annoyed with the no top thing! Carrying a tray with 4 drinks and no tops is recipe for disaster!

Hi! I'm coming over!

I love Ashlyn's new doll! I think it's super special she named her for her sister.
Sorry your trip is off to such a rocky start. I have to tell you, though, I've never been to a KFC in TN that believed in expediency.
I can't wait to hear more about your trip and Boardwalk. We will be there in November for the first time.

A long time ago, like 10 years ago, the food and experience at San Angel Inn was much better. It was one of our favorites. They have increased the number of tables and IMO food has gone downhill. It's sad because it has a great ambiance. Used to remind me of the Blue Bayou restaurant at Disneyland. Now it' just meh at best, blech at worst. But they do have straws, so good to know, ha ha. (I'm a straw person so maybe I will bring my own when we go--another thing to add to the packing list. Yay.) But we have actually taken San Angel off of our list. :(

I've never been in a KFC anywhere that believed in expediency. Or accuracy.

I empathize with you on the EPCOT crowds--my experience during the CP in December was sufficiently horrible that I have no desire to be in WS during any event evah! evah! again. Love WS, just won't do it during events again.

Can't wait to hear more! Love your TR!

Great TR so far! I also have a middle DD Ashlynn who has a friend (a redhead too btw) also named Ashlyn! They are both 15/16 now. I love how you are keeping your Ashlyn's sister's memory with her always.

Joining in. Great report so far.

Sorry about the loss of your daughter. I love the idea of the doll though

Thank you for your trip report. You are a very strong family and your daughter is an inspiration with her doll. We recent lost my grandfather due to cancer. He was was 85 years young. We miss him everyday. I sincerely enjoyed reading your trip report and hope you have many more in the future that are as amazing as this was.

Thank you for sharing your memories and allowing me to live a few of mine. :thumbsup2

San Angel used to be one of our favorites, but haven't been for a few years. As has been pointed out, the tables are really packed in and we seemed to always get seated near the kitchen, which is a bit distracting. I didn't mind the food, but nothing on the menu really popped for me. When I read you were planning on going there, my immediate thought was that it wasn't really a great place for smaller kids...my kids didn't mind it at that age, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't their favorite either.

Since then we've moved "across the street" to La Hacienda de San Angel along the lagoon. We like their menu much better, seating isn't quite as tight and the lagoon view is nice. Something to consider for next time...

The stories of the days when the parks are so crowded make me wonder. Is anyone having a good time? Glad you guys made the most of it!

Thank goodness. The first day of Food & wine, there had be a hand full of people coming in late and all that.

My husband had said once, that we should try San Angel Inn. And I said sure, but that the food reviews are pretty much all bad. He chanced his mind immediately. It is just a shame, I really don't know if I have read a review where someone raved about the food. At best, someone will say it is just ok.

Ha! I am personally more annoyed with the no top thing! Carrying a tray with 4 drinks and no tops is recipe for disaster!

I agree about the tops! I kept thinking of Ashlyn carrying around a drink with no top. Sounded like a nightmare! Thankfully, it didn't end up mattering at all. ;)

Hi! I'm coming over!

I love Ashlyn's new doll! I think it's super special she named her for her sister.
Sorry your trip is off to such a rocky start. I have to tell you, though, I've never been to a KFC in TN that believed in expediency.
I can't wait to hear more about your trip and Boardwalk. We will be there in November for the first time.

Thanks so much! I'm betting you'll enjoy the BW!

A long time ago, like 10 years ago, the food and experience at San Angel Inn was much better. It was one of our favorites. They have increased the number of tables and IMO food has gone downhill. It's sad because it has a great ambiance. Used to remind me of the Blue Bayou restaurant at Disneyland. Now it' just meh at best, blech at worst. But they do have straws, so good to know, ha ha. (I'm a straw person so maybe I will bring my own when we go--another thing to add to the packing list. Yay.) But we have actually taken San Angel off of our list. :(

I've never been in a KFC anywhere that believed in expediency. Or accuracy.

I empathize with you on the EPCOT crowds--my experience during the CP in December was sufficiently horrible that I have no desire to be in WS during any event evah! evah! again. Love WS, just won't do it during events again.

Can't wait to hear more! Love your TR!

Thanks for joining in! San Angel Inn had been on my sister's to-do list, and a few recent reviews I'd read said the food had improved...but that just wasn't how I found it. Interestingly enough, my sister loved it. *shrugs*

Great TR so far! I also have a middle DD Ashlynn who has a friend (a redhead too btw) also named Ashlyn! They are both 15/16 now. I love how you are keeping your Ashlyn's sister's memory with her always.

How funny about all the Ashlyn's! I had never known anyone with that name, but now I've run into quite a few. I'm sure they were there all along, I just wasn't paying attention! haha

Joining in. Great report so far.

Sorry about the loss of your daughter. I love the idea of the doll though

Thank you so much <3.

Thank you for your trip report. You are a very strong family and your daughter is an inspiration with her doll. We recent lost my grandfather due to cancer. He was was 85 years young. We miss him everyday. I sincerely enjoyed reading your trip report and hope you have many more in the future that are as amazing as this was.

Thank you for sharing your memories and allowing me to live a few of mine. :thumbsup2

Thank you so much! This means a lot to us. <3

Following along. Looking forward to reading more.

Great to have you along!

San Angel used to be one of our favorites, but haven't been for a few years. As has been pointed out, the tables are really packed in and we seemed to always get seated near the kitchen, which is a bit distracting. I didn't mind the food, but nothing on the menu really popped for me. When I read you were planning on going there, my immediate thought was that it wasn't really a great place for smaller kids...my kids didn't mind it at that age, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't their favorite either.

Since then we've moved "across the street" to La Hacienda de San Angel along the lagoon. We like their menu much better, seating isn't quite as tight and the lagoon view is nice. Something to consider for next time...

Thank you for the recommendation! Eating on the lagoon sounds great!

Following along and loving it!!

Thanks for joining in!

Does That Make Your Brother A Guppie?
A DVC Tour and the Bon Voyage Breakfast
Monday, Labor Day, dawned bright and beautiful. Miles woke up at his normal time. I fed the kids and myself breakfast (Micheal was still asleep), and I took a shower and got dressed. It was our "rest" day, but I had an 8:30AM appointment for a DVC tour downstairs. I had signed up after getting an offer for a $50 gift card (and I love me some free $$$, LOL). My sister also signed up for the same deal, so we met in the hallway outside our rooms and headed downstairs.

The person I'd talked to on the phone about this, and the person she'd talked to, gave us conflicting information about where to go for this DVC tour. Because of that, we ended up doing a lot of waiting, shuffling around, asking different CM's...but we eventually ended up at the right place, which is a DVC office at the quiet pool at the BWV.

The lady at the front desk was very kind about all the trouble we'd gone through to find their office, which had made us 30 minutes late. So, in addition to our GC's, she also gave everyone in our party 3 anytime FP's! Woo hoo! We weren't expecting that AT ALL, and it was a nice little bit of pixie dust. :tink:

We met with the salesman, who was fabulous. If I would have been in a position to say "yes," I absolutely would have. Someday, I would love to be a DVC member. I think I need a few more years to warm up my husband to the idea, though. ;)

Anyway, when we finished that it was around 10. We walked back toward the main pool because we were guessing it's where we'd find our families. We were right. Along the path, though, we talked about how much we both really wanted to buy into DVC. My sis decided to play a joke on her funny guy husband, so when we found them at the pool she said, "Well, I did it. It was such an awesome deal."

Mr. Funny Man didn't look too amused.

Ha! Doesn't feel so good, does it?! (I'm totally joking, he's a good sport and when my sister told him she was kidding, he laughed at himself.)

We swam for a while, then it was time to get ready for our Bon Voyage Breakfast at Trattoria Al Forno. I was so excited for this breakfast, and I'll just put you out of your misery now -- it so lived up to the hype. Easily the BEST meal of the trip.

OK, OK, let me back up a bit. We arrived for a noon ADR, checked in, and were seated within about 15-20 minutes. We had a great table (at least in my opinion), with a fun view of the entire restaurant. Our waitress was friendly, and she took our drink orders and brought out a frying pan of pastries (yummy!).

20180903_115448 r.jpg 20180903_115518 r.jpg

After we placed our orders, Flynn Rider showed up. He chatted with Miles about the virtues of having hair. Miles just stared, not smiling but definitely not crying. It was too cute. They took some pictures, and a few minutes later, Rapunzel also showed up. Ashlyn asked her why she wore shoes, when she didn't in the movie.

20180903_113931 r.jpg 20180903_114759 resized.jpg

Rapunzel explained about shoes being restricting, but her mother insisted she wear them when travelling outside their kingdom. Ashlyn found this explanation sufficient.

Next up, Prince Eric. He noticed Ashlyn's "Ariel" dress immediately, and oh! His face filled with love and he gushed about his great admiration for Ariel. He said he loved to see how much others admired her too. He asked if Ashlyn wanted to be a mermaid, too.

At this point, Ashlyn was smitten. She said yes, and then Prince Eric asked, "Well, if you're a mermaid, does that make your brother a guppie?"

26054 r.jpg

We chuckled, but Ashlyn said yes, it did.

Prince Eric said being a guppie wasn't so bad. He also said he'd bet Miles was plenty brave, when it counted, to which Ashlyn agreed. It was a darling exchange!!! princess:

Ariel came next, and oh my gosh y'all. If Ashlyn was in love with Eric, Miles was in love with Ariel. He couldn't stop staring and smiling. It was SO stinking cute!

26051 r.jpg

Sometime during all of that we'd received our fruit. After the characters left, it did take quite a while for our food to arrive. Miles was getting cranky, so when our food did come we were very relieved. Micheal got the tower of pancakes, and Ashlyn got waffles and bacon. Her waffles had Ariel on one side and Flounder on the other.

I got the King Triton Breakfast. Apparently, lots of people like to take pictures of this because it has a skewer shaped like King Triton's trident. Well, I didn't actually know this or intend to take a picture (I've mentioned in previous TR's, but Micheal doesn't like it when I take pictures of our food. He thinks it's weird. :rotfl2:). But, the waitress sits the food down in front of me and says, "Go ahead and take your picture, then I have to take the skewer back to the kitchen."

I stared a second, very confused. What on earth was she talking about? Take a picture of what?! I looked at my food, saw the skewer, and kind of shrugged. "OK." So I took a picture. As you can see, it didn't turn out too well. :laughing: She took the skewer and away she went. We thought the whole thing was pretty funny.

20180903_120350 r.jpg

Guys, this food was seriously huge, and delicious. So, so good. I could only eat half after eating pastries and fruit, so I ended up taking the rest back to my room for later. We settled up the bill then headed to the room for the stroller. We had an agenda for the afternoon. Pin trading around Crescent Lake! Then, that evening we would be babysitting while my sister and her hubby went to MNSSHP. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Oh my. Your sister sounds like me. LOL. I so would have done that to my husband. LOL.

Love the pictures of the kids with the characters. My son is older so it’s hard to get him to take pictures with face characters. LOL.

We met with the salesman, who was fabulous. If I would have been in a position to say "yes," I absolutely would have. Someday, I would love to be a DVC member. I think I need a few more years to warm up my husband to the idea, though. ;)
How pushy where they? And how long did the whole thing take. DH actually wanted to do it last time we were at Disney. And I just didn't want to deal with the pushy-ness. I mean I too would love to be a dvc member, but I don't think we could afford the down payment that we would need.

We swam for a while, then it was time to get ready for our Bon Voyage Breakfast at Trattoria Al Forno. I was so excited for this breakfast, and I'll just put you out of your misery now -- it so lived up to the hype. Easily the BEST meal of the trip.
YEAH!!! I do worry about saying that I loved something because everyone has different experiences and food tastes. But this was one of our favorite new restaurants! For sure!

Ashlyn asked her why she wore shoes, when she didn't in the movie.
Good Question Ashlyn! Good Question!

Rapunzel explained about shoes being restricting, but her mother insisted she wear them when travelling outside their kingdom. Ashlyn found this explanation sufficient.
Interesting... My girls ask Rapunzel on our last trip and I believe she said Cinderella makes her wear shoes while in her park. I think we were at the Princess Hall in Magic Kingdom... Sounds like Raps is getting told what to do alot... hmmm...

But, the waitress sits the food down in front of me and says, "Go ahead and take your picture, then I have to take the skewer back to the kitchen."
Ha! They did the same thing to me. It is sad that they can't leave the fork... too many people would steal them... ;(

20180903_120350-r-jpg.351647

Guys, this food was seriously
Seriously, this was soooo good. I dream about eating this again!

How pushy where they? And how long did the whole thing take. DH actually wanted to do it last time we were at Disney. And I just didn't want to deal with the pushy-ness. I mean I too would love to be a dvc member, but I don't think we could afford the down payment that we would need.

YEAH!!! I do worry about saying that I loved something because everyone has different experiences and food tastes. But this was one of our favorite new restaurants! For sure!

Good Question Ashlyn! Good Question!

Interesting... My girls ask Rapunzel on our last trip and I believe she said Cinderella makes her wear shoes while in her park. I think we were at the Princess Hall in Magic Kingdom... Sounds like Raps is getting told what to do alot... hmmm...

Ha! They did the same thing to me. It is sad that they can't leave the fork... too many people would steal them... ;(

Seriously, this was soooo good. I dream about eating this again!

He was not pushy at all. He did email a few times, and call once when we got home. But, those weren't bad at all, and I think he would have been even less pushy if I hadn't been drooling at the thought of buying in ;).

It took about an hour.

Oh my. Your sister sounds like me. LOL. I so would have done that to my husband. LOL.

Love the pictures of the kids with the characters. My son is older so it’s hard to get him to take pictures with face characters. LOL.

We definitely had a good hearted laugh about it all!

We definitely had a good hearted laugh about it all!
Meant to say that I bought my DVC resale. You save a lot of $$$ but don’t get all of the perks. Which weren’t all that important to me. I just like not having to worry about paying for a place to stay and only worry about food and tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!