A Solo Trip: It's the Spirit of the Season at the Disneyland Resort! Dec. 1-7, 2017! *COMPLETE 1/26*

If you would like to join in on my next trip report, updates have started from my most recent trip to Walt Disney World!

Feel free to follow along at...

Taking A First Timer to Walt Disney World!

Just click the title of my trip report and it will
take you right to it if you would like to join in! I hope to see all of you there! :)

Hi there AMusicLifeForMe!

I'm a fairly new member to the boards here, but I came across your above post from your 2017 trip to Disneyland during the Holidays and was wondering if I could ask you a quick question?

I noticed you mentioned going to see the Disneyland Candlelight Processional 3 times in 2017, and I was wondering how you did that. Did you have an invite to all the shows, or did you do the standing room area? My wife and I are planning a trip to Disneyland for this December 2019, and I'd love to go on the first full weekend in Dec when they have those ceremonies. Do you have any recommendations, advice, or tips on how we might be able to catch a show without having to camp out all day?

Any and all info is truly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Conclusion!

Hi everyone! Sadly, this is the end of my trip report about an unforgettable trip back to the area where I was raised. I would like to thank each of you for taking the time out of your busy days to read about my experiences at the Disneyland Resort and around Southern California. I hope I helped you a lot with your trip planning.

So, here are a couple highlights from my trip:

My first and probably the biggest highlight of this trip was seeing the Candlelight Processional 3 times. This really was an incredible experience to see this in Disneyland again. It had been many years since I had seen it at Disneyland, and I was happy that I was able to catch many performances of it. If you would like to see my highlights video of the Candlelight Processional, you can find the link to it in my Table Of Contents on page 1.

So, in the words of Mickey Mouse…”See Ya’ Real Soon!!!"

Hi there AMusicLifeForMe!

I'm a fairly new member to the boards here, but I came across your above post from your 2017 trip to Disneyland during the Holidays and was wondering if I could ask you a quick question?

I noticed you mentioned going to see the Disneyland Candlelight Processional 3 times in 2017, and I was wondering how you did that. Did you have an invite to all the shows, or did you do the standing room area? My wife and I are planning a trip to Disneyland for this December 2019, and I'd love to go on the first full weekend in Dec when they have those ceremonies. Do you have any recommendations, advice, or tips on how we might be able to catch a show without having to camp out all day?

Any and all info is truly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
Welcome to Disboards!

The Candlelight Processional isn't an advertised show at Disneyland. This means that it's almost impossible for any day guest to Disneyland to get a seat. Seats are reserved for people that work for the Disney Company and other V.I.P's. The way to get a seat only happens if invited guests don't come and usually people that have sat/stood all day around Town Square will get those seats. There is a possibility you can get a seat at the 2nd show, but it is really difficult to tell where Cast Members will start going down the ropes asking if people want to sit. You can only sit if a Cast Member comes up to you.

So, I saw all of these shows in the standing room area.

Well, I saw 2 of those shows by camping out all afternoon waiting several hours. These performances were the main reason for my trip to California. So, I was willing to wait that long.

The 3rd time I saw the show, I walked down Main Street and got right in line for the 2nd show which wasn't long at all.

The 3rd time I viewed this show might work best for you. I can't tell you exactly when they set up the line for the 2nd show. I can give an educated guess. As soon as the processional goes down Main Street, they will open 2 lines. One on the right side and left side of Main Street facing towards Town Square. For the best view (in my opinion), you will want to wait in the line on the right side of Main Street facing Town Square. This will give you the best view of the narrator.

My tips: (for the 2nd show)

1. Get to Main Street right before the first show of the evening.
2. Wait for Cast Members to set up the line.
3. Get in line on the right side of Main Street.
4. Stand on the right side of Town Square (City Hall side) for the best possible viewing.

Anyways, either way you are going to have to sacrifice some time and wait for this show. The 2nd show of the evening might give you the least amount of waiting, but you will still have to wait a couple hours.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask me if you have anymore questions.

Thank you so much @AMusicLifeForMe! I truly appreciate the detailed info and help regarding the Processional! We definitely didn't, nor do we have expectations of getting seats for it, but we were definitely curious how to get into the Standing Room only area, so thank you again so much for the step-by-step details!

Out of curiosity, what was your experience with the park crowds in general for that Sunday of the Processional? I ask because my wife and I are debating going to Disneyland for 3 days this year for the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend through the Tuesday of the week after (Dec 1st - 3rd). Or the Sunday of the Candlelight Processional through that following Tuesday (Dec 8th - 10th.)

Thus far my research and others have pointed to the Processional Sunday and following two days as being more crowded, but what are your thoughts? Any recommendations between the two weekends? I know Star Wars is going to add higher crowd levels to each time period. We are anticipating crowds, but we would of course like to be there with lesser crowds if possible. Your thoughts?

Thank you again for all your help!

Thank you so much @AMusicLifeForMe! I truly appreciate the detailed info and help regarding the Processional! We definitely didn't, nor do we have expectations of getting seats for it, but we were definitely curious how to get into the Standing Room only area, so thank you again so much for the step-by-step details!

Out of curiosity, what was your experience with the park crowds in general for that Sunday of the Processional? I ask because my wife and I are debating going to Disneyland for 3 days this year for the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend through the Tuesday of the week after (Dec 1st - 3rd). Or the Sunday of the Candlelight Processional through that following Tuesday (Dec 8th - 10th.)

Thus far my research and others have pointed to the Processional Sunday and following two days as being more crowded, but what are your thoughts? Any recommendations between the two weekends? I know Star Wars is going to add higher crowd levels to each time period. We are anticipating crowds, but we would of course like to be there with lesser crowds if possible. Your thoughts?

Thank you again for all your help!
It's hard to tell what the effect of Star Wars is going to be. Yes it will be a lot more crowded, but I can't say for certain without experiencing that.

Sunday is usually more crowded, because the word gets out who the narrator of the Candlelight Processional is. Disneyland does a great job of keeping the narrator a secret until they walk up for a sound check that Saturday of the CP.

Monday is also the busiest day of the week (surprising I know). I have experienced the worst crowds on Mondays. Saturdays are a lot better than Mondays. Sundays are great until the church crowds start to role in. Tuesdays are back to the "weekday" crowds typically until the evening.

Keep in mind that you will be going during the Christmas season which brings more crowds in general than a typical week without holiday celebrations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!