A thread for our single friends....

Moving to Orlando (or in my mind, Disney) by the end of 2021. I really do hope they get this annual pass situation figured out before then!! I'm really excited to meet fellow rainbow Disney fanatics and make friends. But I would also like to enter the parks without having to choose between my daily park ticket or rent. Because rent might lose that battle sometimes hahaha.

Not exactly sure if I fit in this thread, but here goes,...

Single 46 yr. old gay, Latinx, and cisgender male with a physical disability here in Southern CA. Been a long-time Disney fan. Was a DLR Annual Passholder from 2015-2019.

Will be going to WDW for the first time ever during Thanksgiving 2021 week. (This will also be my first time to FL.) Will also be going to Universal Orlando. I'll be going with a friend who's not single. We'll be staying at Pop Century Resort.

Any tips or advice from an LGBTQIA+ perspective for this first-timer?

Wow, you will have a great time. I grew up in the LA area and went to Disneyland often growing up. My public school was on an experimental year-round program, and I have the best memories of going to DL at off-season times when it was basically empty. Walking on to Haunted Manson and Pirates, which at that time were the latest, high-tech rides, was amazing.

Your story is a little like mine in that, for some reason, I insisted to my late husband (not into Disney as much as me) that I finally HAD TO go to WDW the year I turned 40. He had been once as a kid once, I think. I had always wanted to go to WDW since I was a boy. Wow, I loved it and now own points at the Grand Floridian and Bay Lake Tower. Definitely a home away from home. I still get a thrill from being in the Contemporary with the monorail running through, as I thought that was the coolest thing when WDW opened, and I was five years old. WDW is just enormous, and I felt like I hadn’t mastered it until had been there four or five times.

I can’t offer any LGBT specific tips, though. I can offer a few general thoughts for a Disneyland veteran at WDW. First, WDW is so much bigger than DL that it is shocking. Buy a pair of really good walking shoes like Ecco. Magic Kingdom is so much bigger than Disneyland it is incredible; I’m used to criss-crossing DL but doing that at Magic Kingdom is a whole different matter. It’s just much bigger, and EPCOT is huge. The lagoon at EPCOT is apparently the same size as Disneyland.

Second, Animal Kingdom is really wonderful and unique. Take some time to hang out there. And Hollywood Studios has a lot of great offerings, including the new Galaxy’s Edge. EPCOT is a little disappointing to be honest so if you’re short on time, that would be my lowest priority.

Last edited:
Wow, you will have a great time. I grew up in the LA area and went to Disneyland often growing up. My public school was on an experimental year-round program, and I have the best memories of going to DL at off-season times when it was basically empty. Walking on to Haunted Manson and Pirates, which at that time were the latest, high-tech rides, was amazing.

Your story is a little like mine in that, for some reason, I insisted to my late husband (not into Disney as much as me) that I finally HAD TO go to WDW the year I turned 40. He had been once as a kid once, I think. I had always wanted to go to WDW since I was a boy. Wow, I loved it and now own points at the Grand Floridian and Bay Lake Tower. Definitely a home away from home. I still get a thrill from being in the Contemporary with the monorail running through, as I thought that was the coolest thing when WDW opened, and I was five years old. WDW is just enormous, and I felt like I hadn’t mastered it until had been there four or five times.

I can’t offer any LGBT specific tips, though. I can offer a few general thoughts for a Disneyland veteran at WDW. First, WDW is so much bigger than DL that it is shocking. Buy a pair of really good walking shoes like Ecco. Magic Kingdom is so much bigger than Disneyland it is incredible; I’m used to criss-crossing DL but doing that at Magic Kingdom is a whole different matter. It’s just much bigger, and EPCOT is huge. The lagoon at EPCOT is apparently the same size as Disneyland.

Second, Animal Kingdom is really wonderful and unique. Take some time to hang out there. And Hollywood Studios has a lot of great offerings, including the new Galaxy’s Edge. EPCOT is a little disappointing to be honest so if you’re short on time, that would be my lowest priority.
Thanks for replying back.

I don't walk, but my friend does so I'll give him the shoe advice. My friend's not too much into Disney as I am. But, he knows I can't travel without personal care assistance, so he offered to help and pay his own way. He's more into Harry Potter, so that's why we're also going to Universal.

If I was working and not on government assistance, I'd consider being a DVC member. This upcoming trip is only possible because of the stimulus checks.

I didn't realize EPCOT's lagoon is that big. I first knew about WDW when EPCOT opened, so that one is on the top of my list. Plus, I'm into world culture, tech, and science.

Thanks for replying back.

I don't walk, but my friend does so I'll give him the shoe advice. My friend's not too much into Disney as I am. But, he knows I can't travel without personal care assistance, so he offered to help and pay his own way. He's more into Harry Potter, so that's why we're also going to Universal.

If I was working and not on government assistance, I'd consider being a DVC member. This upcoming trip is only possible because of the stimulus checks.

I didn't realize EPCOT's lagoon is that big. I first knew about WDW when EPCOT opened, so that one is on the top of my list. Plus, I'm into world culture, tech, and science.

I've been going to WDW as an adult for many years now and thought it's always been a very welcoming environment, this most recent trip in late September, I saw so much LGBTQ support in regards to shirts, pins, hats and just couples holding hands, it really made my heart really happy. The same for my time at Universal!

I've gotten strange looks from guys before about my fondness for Disney, but then again, I've also gotten them when I talk about some of my other obsessions (um, make that "passions") -- Buffy, Harry Potter, etc. -- so perhaps I'm simply strange by conventional standards. ;)
Um Buffy is the BEST show that ever was on tv!! I think you have great taste!

*lol* And I thought I was on the last page not the first so ignore my response to a post from 2009. *head desk*

Hope a lady is ok to join your chat. I'm bi. 41. I live in Manitoba. I've been single for 10 years (mostly my own decision) and I'm tired of it now!;)

Last edited:

Seeing this pop up made me think about this thread, in case anyone's interested (as someone who's bi - one of the things that bewilders me about the thread is that almost no one specifies their orientation/identity, which seems like it should be pretty high on the list - that or everyone's pansexual!).

https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...-dating-thread-profiles-only.2411855/page-124

Thanks for sharing! I added a section in my profile for orientation just so there is no confusion.

This thread still live? Trying to find a date to Orlando Disney.

Never been, and somehow trying to navigate dating life at 44 again. And a Disney trip/date seems really fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts