AAA vs Direct

dgagnon519

DVC member AKL since 2009 and SSR since 2020
Is there any differences in booking with AAA vs direct. I saw there is a coupon book is that given out through direct and aaa? Does anyone know what is in the coupon book, I tried finding it online. Ialso saw that it said special seating for shows with aaa, has anyone utilized this? Does it make a difference?

I have used third party booking to get perks from other websites. It was easy and just as smooth as direct.

Several years ago someone went through the AAA coupons here and I recall the coupons being very generic (can get them in the yellow pages), not necessary (CW cover charges that you get with your park tix) or rare to use (drive 100 miles to another attraction while staying onsite at Uni) I saw little value. But I am only starting the conversation off, if anyone has better details for the OP, feel free to flame me.

Wookie, no one is gonna flame you

This is the darkside place for the UO peeps
We all share our knowledge and experiences

We play nice

It has been many many years since I used AAA
When I did, the coupons were nothing outstanding

We usually get some nice coupons from the hotel itself. We stay onsite at HRH and the staff will hand out coupons for City Walk and onsite restaurants for free appetizers and discounts on meals. I've read if you have an AMEX card and use it for park tickets, there's a lounge in the Studios with free soft drinks, etc.

Does anyone know if the 10% off food and merchandise savings voucher with the AAA tickets is similar to the discount offered for Preferred annual passes? I think we're getting annual passes but I was contemplating upgrading one to the preferred level to get the extra savings on food and merchandise. But I have a AAA membership and the annual passes are a little cheaper through them vs buying from Universal so I don't know if it would be worth it to upgrade one pass.

Contact AAA to learn what the discount amount is for food and merch

Policies change at times and I do not know the present status if AAA discounts

I have the preferred ap and food and merch is a 10% discount

I reread your question and wondering if you plan just to show your AAA card and expect the discounts ?

You need to buy your tickets or package through AAA in order to get the merch and food voucher for the 10% discounts

Preferred ap discounts you only show your card for the 10% off

No I would buy the annual passes through AAA so that part is covered. I was just considering the preferred annual pass only for the food discounts but I was thinking if the AAA savings was similar, I could use that instead of the annual pass discount. The AAA site just says 10-15% off select food, merchandise, and beverage purchases. I didn't know if someone had used the 10% off or knew what places were eligible. I'll have to find a AAA office to call.

I would call them and ask about all the details. A few years ago, it was easy, most places (except kiosks) just show your AAA card & get the discount. The next year, it was, show your AAA card and the printed voucher proving you bought your tickets through AAA to get a discount.
The last time we went through AAA it had changed to show your AAA card, ticket voucher, and spend a certain amount to get the discount (I believe it was $50 in food or $75 in merch to get 10% off.)
That was 3 years ago, and we quit bothering after that headache, so I don't know if it's still that way, harder, or if they finally made it user-friendly again.
Best of luck!

same thoughts as Kivara.

I stopped using my AAA card over 4 years ago with all the additional requirements being added to use it.

i rely on the preferred ap for the discounts

We usually get some nice coupons from the hotel itself. We stay onsite at HRH and the staff will hand out coupons for City Walk and onsite restaurants for free appetizers and discounts on meals. I've read if you have an AMEX card and use it for park tickets, there's a lounge in the Studios with free soft drinks, etc.
Patty is it almost to the point where if you ask HRH staff for any available coupons or discounts at other resorts or onsite restaurants, they will just give them to you?

The attraction desks in the 3 deluxe lobbies have coupons

I always ask there and receive various discounts
One free round after paying for first round of mini golf, car rental discounts, free app at specific city walk venues with purchase of a meal, cw discounts buy one get one free items, etc

Coupons change frequently
What I received last October may be different now

Patty is it almost to the point where if you ask HRH staff for any available coupons or discounts at other resorts or onsite restaurants, they will just give them to you?

They usually offer them- the bell staff usually does when they bring our bags up- the club concierge has a lot and I think the front desk has some too. We've never asked but have been offered on all our stays. But sure- I would feel ok to ask. And @macraven has the best suggestion- I didn't know they had those offers- THX!

I priced packages with AAA and UO direct a few months back.

They both go to the same booking site - but UO was slightly cheaper because of they had a $75 off offer - other than that price was the same

Going though AAA did have better options for transport though - you could book Take Two car service for not much more than the Super star Shuttle and it had the option of Disney hotel to Universal Hotel and and then Universal to the Airport

I dont recall anything special in the AAA coupon book when I booked through them a year or two back

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter