ABD BSM with food allergies

There was an incident on the bus from Germany to Mondsee where the guides played rock music at full volume giving me one of the worst migraines I've ever had. We asked them nicely if they could please turn the volume down. They refused. I was almost at the points of needing to go to the hospital when we finally reached Mondsee. When we informed ABD about this incident upon our return, their response to it was not that they would address it with the guides so that it did not happen in the future, it was to inform us that we should bring noise cancelling headphones with us when we travel.

And for anyone who doesn't know what a migraine feels like, take the worst pain you've ever felt, multiply it by 1000 and stuff it into your head behind right behind your eyes. Light hurts your eyes, noise hurts your ears. You can't eat because the thought of food makes your stomach turn over and all you want to do is go curl up in a deep dark corner and not come out until the pain disappears.

Now take that image and stick it on a bus where the windows don't open and crank some hard rock music for a few hours and see how you feel. Then be told your tour company is not going to address the behaviour of the guides that caused the situation because it's your fault for not having noise cancelling headphones.

I've actually been hospitalized for a migraine already and it took over 8 hours before the hospital got it under control enough for my own medications to bring it down.

It sounds like headphones might help in the future when you can't control the volume level around you if that sets off a migrane. That had to be painful. We carry everything under the sun to take care of my motion sickness because it's crazy and debilitating! We travel with a large handful of first aid items to treat our specific issues (hubby has a few kidney stones left, for example, and since we know they exist and he goes straight to the hospital when he starts to pass one at home, we carry the things we need to do our best to treat it when we travel).

Would you mind sharing the exact letter they sent you? I'm curious what they said now!

I've never seen any of our coaches have windows that open... I don't think they ever do. What hard rock was playing? Was it thematic to the trip? We often have guides that play music (or movies) that go along with the itenerary. Did you include that information about your noise issue in your survey? I know they read every one and the info does get back to the guides.

In China, one of our trip mates (who was a solo traveler) became extrememly ill. The pollution had made it nearly impossible for her to breathe, and then she picked up another sick bug and she was really sick.

@CrazyZeus1 Was the pollution worse than usual or was it only an issue because of her illness? I’m booked on the Oct 2018 China ABD.

@CrazyZeus1 Was the pollution worse than usual or was it only an issue because of her illness? I’m booked on the Oct 2018 China ABD.
The pollution was normal (we were there in October). She came to the trip not well, had existing breathing issues, and really over-exerted herself (going out late at night and not getting good sleep, etc). I think all those things added up and took a big toll on her.

Beijing was the worst pollution I've ever encountered in my life.... none of our family has breathing problems but by day 3 in Beijing my chest felt tight (my husband and son were fine). Nobody wore masks in the group (except for the ill friend... the guides bought her a heavy duty mask) and I was fine once we left Beijing. Does that help?

The pollution was normal (we were there in October). She came to the trip not well, had existing breathing issues, and really over-exerted herself (going out late at night and not getting good sleep, etc). I think all those things added up and took a big toll on her.

Beijing was the worst pollution I've ever encountered in my life.... none of our family has breathing problems but by day 3 in Beijing my chest felt tight (my husband and son were fine). Nobody wore masks in the group (except for the ill friend... the guides bought her a heavy duty mask) and I was fine once we left Beijing. Does that help?
Yes, thanks. I didn’t think October was an especially polluted time though I didn’t really know what to expect it to be like. I don’t have any breathing problems so I won’t worry about it for now.

Yes, thanks. I didn’t think October was an especially polluted time though I didn’t really know what to expect it to be like. I don’t have any breathing problems so I won’t worry about it for now.
Air pollution in Beijing is at it's worst in January & February, followed by November and October. That said, June is not far behind October, and the only place I had an issue was in Shanghai (tight chest) although others had issues in Beijing.

Sayhello

Air pollution in Beijing is at it's worst in January & February, followed by November and October. That said, June is not far behind October, and the only place I had an issue was in Shanghai (tight chest) although others had issues in Beijing.

Sayhello
I just assumed it was always bad! ha! Shanghai was our best pollution when we were there... it was actually SUNNY! hahaha

It sounds like headphones might help in the future when you can't control the volume level around you if that sets off a migrane. That had to be painful. We carry everything under the sun to take care of my motion sickness because it's crazy and debilitating! We travel with a large handful of first aid items to treat our specific issues (hubby has a few kidney stones left, for example, and since we know they exist and he goes straight to the hospital when he starts to pass one at home, we carry the things we need to do our best to treat it when we travel).

Would you mind sharing the exact letter they sent you? I'm curious what they said now!

I've never seen any of our coaches have windows that open... I don't think they ever do. What hard rock was playing? Was it thematic to the trip? We often have guides that play music (or movies) that go along with the itenerary. Did you include that information about your noise issue in your survey? I know they read every one and the info does get back to the guides.

After that trip we purchased noise cancelling headphones. Noise doesn't usually trigger migraines but then, I never know what may or may not trigger them. The problem came in the fact that we asked the guides to simply turn the volume down to a more reasonable level, a level that would be normal in any vehicle and that was still loud enough for everyone to listen or tune out should they choose. The guides out right refused saying it was the only time they had to have this particular discussion. The music was German rock music. Think KISS or Metalica but in German played at full volume

We never got a letter back from ABD, we got a phone call back from guest relations.

As non-American guests we don't get the same feedback opportunities as American ABD travelers. We don't get the post-trip surveys. The only way we can give feedback is through the feedback form on the ABD website. I met someone who worked for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts and it was through her that I tracked down the appropriate person to contact at ABD to send my letter to and believe me, my letter was very detailed about the issues we encountered.

After that trip we purchased noise cancelling headphones. Noise doesn't usually trigger migraines but then, I never know what may or may not trigger them. The problem came in the fact that we asked the guides to simply turn the volume down to a more reasonable level, a level that would be normal in any vehicle and that was still loud enough for everyone to listen or tune out should they choose. The guides out right refused saying it was the only time they had to have this particular discussion. The music was German rock music. Think KISS or Metalica but in German played at full volume

We never got a letter back from ABD, we got a phone call back from guest relations.

As non-American guests we don't get the same feedback opportunities as American ABD travelers. We don't get the post-trip surveys. The only way we can give feedback is through the feedback form on the ABD website. I met someone who worked for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts and it was through her that I tracked down the appropriate person to contact at ABD to send my letter to and believe me, my letter was very detailed about the issues we encountered.
Hmmm... our friends from England get the survey every time?

I don't really think nearly ending up in the hospital in Austria due to the actions of the guides can be chalked up to a "new experience".

This response was from the higher ups. I send my letter to the head of ABD and that was the response we got back.
That was why I assumed they wrote you back. So the higher up person called you?

I just assumed it was always bad! ha! Shanghai was our best pollution when we were there... it was actually SUNNY! hahaha
It was quite sunny when we were in Shanghai, too. That's why I was surprised by the breathing issues.

Sayhello

We were there in October of 2017. Our trip coincided with the Communist Party convention and we were told that the air quality was better than usual because of this. Apparently most of the industries were shut down ahead of time so that the air would clear up. We were also told that it was just fog that we were seeing, even though it never burned off during the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!