ABD or Viking Cruise for Iceland?

Lorana

DIS Veteran
hoping to find some folks who have done either or both to help us make a decision!

I’d like to do Iceland in 2025, and am debating between Adventures by Disney Iceland tour (presuming it’s offered again) or a Viking Cruise around the island. ABD seems to be significantly more expensive. We haven’t done either (ABD or Viking) so this would be our first, and are trying to determine what would be the best experience. My DH hates packing up and moving, which is why I thought Viking might be good (and we do love cruising; have sailed Disney, NCL, RCCL, Costa). But ABD is only two hotels, so only one change.

I presume with either you get a chance to see the Aurora Borealis?

If you could do either, which would you choose?

The Aurora Borealis are never guaranteed, and it really depends on when you go. I did the Iceland ABD in early September, and that was pretty much the earliest trip where the Guides thought we *might* see the Northern Lights, but even though the Guides got up in the middle of the night to check, we did not see them. So there *is* a chance, but you just never know. Most sightings in Iceland are between September and April.

I don't know anything about the Viking cruise, but I loved the ABD. It had some logistic problems that first year, but it seems that they have smoothed those out. You see the touristy sites on the "Golden Circle" near Reykjavik (which are SO worth seeing!) and some of the highlights of the South. And you also see a lot of the North in the Akureyri area, which is really a great area. It's a long drive from from Akureyri back to Reykjavik, but it's broken up with an amazing river rafting experience.

Honestly, it really depends on what you want to see, and which itinerary does what you want to do and goes where you want to go. I like being able to spend long days in a place, which most cruises don't do. But again, I know nothing about the Viking itinerary.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the ABD!

Sayhello

Personally I would choose the ABD if you are very invested in seeing Iceland. The issue with ships is they can have issues docking sometimes or need to change their itinerary, and even if they run perfectly you are trading time on land to be on a ship moving between ports. ABD will pick up the luggage from and drop off to your room, if that helps with your husband's thoughts on the one time packing between hotels..!

Of course this is all moot if the things you want to see are in the area of Iceland the ABD doesn't cover.

Without knowing the costs, I think ABD will give you more time in Iceland and let you see more on your trip. Some people like the comfort of a cruise ship, but to me there is something special about being able to see a place at night and wake up there the next day.

But, if Viking is a good deal, I would still probably do that. Money does need to matter at some point.

I've been to Iceland 3 times on my own. I firmly believe the best way to see Iceland is by land. Many of the "ports" are very small hamlets with no real tourist infrastructure. You'll be dependent on what the ship offers, and then see it with 40+ of your closest friends on each bus. There is so much to see in Iceland between these stops.

There are plenty of companies that do land based Iceland tours, with a variety of luxury levels. Classic Journeys had an interesting "active" tour. There's also local companies like Troll and Arctic Adventures that also do longer tours.

Rent a camper van and drive the ring road. Just an idea. Also along with Viking there is Hurtigruten and Nat Geo and a couple others. A friend has talked us into a Viking circumnavigation this year, Late August. I am looking forward to this trip. We will prob avoid the canned port excursions. We will also visit in June/July as we sail from Dover to. Reykjavik with Hurtigruten. We visit Iceland 2-3 times a year and have been doing so for the last 7-8 years. Given the current eruption I might be able to talk Lynn (the wife) into a quick trip.

As Sayhello says "Honestly, it really depends on what you want to see, and which itinerary does what you want to do and goes where you want to go."

Seeing the Green Lady dance is a crap shoot, It was not until our 3ed or 4th trip we saw them.

Sounds like we need at least two trips, one during the summer for all the outdoor things, and one later in the year focused more on indoor activities and chances to see the Green Lady.

I'm really torn -- the cruise looks like an opportunity to see all over Iceland. Honestly, "we want to see it all." We're big outdoorsy people and love looking at Nature more than Cities, but my husband is not a big traveler and does not like the packing/unpacking aspect (hence the original idea of a tour). But we both have been dying to try ABD (though we've also been eying the China, Africa, Galapagos, and Macchu Picchu trips for that).

Does ABD really hit all the "must see" spots?
It costs nearly double what we'd pay on Viking, so we're trying to weigh how much better an experience we'd have with ABD vs Viking.

For reference, here is the Viking cruise: https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/baltic/icelands-natural-beauty/index.html

It's itinerary includes:
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
Reykjavík, Iceland
Stroll Europe’s northernmost capital, admire views from “The Pearl” or visit the Blue Lagoon.
Read More >
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
Reykjavík, Iceland
Discover Reykjavík’s natural sites, from waterfalls to warm springs, and learn about the Sagas.
Read More >
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
ĺsafjördur, Iceland
Explore the history and beauty of the Westfjords, visit small villages and see wildlife.
Read More >
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
Akureyri, Iceland
Admire the architecture in Iceland’s second-largest city, nicknamed “Capital of the North.”
Read More >
ew0KICAgICAgICAgICJidWNrZXQiOiAiaHR0cHM6Ly9hZW0tcHJvZC1wdWJsaXNoLnZpa2luZy5jb20iLA0KICAgICAgICAgICJrZXkiOiAiY29udGVudC9kYW0vdmlraW5nY3J1aXNlcy9lbi9tYWdub2xpYS1pbWFnZXMvcG9ydHMvc2V5ZGlzZmpvcmR1ci9DQ19TZXlkaXNmam9yZHVyX0d1ZnVmb3NzX1dhdGVyZmFsbC4zNjAuMngxLmpwZyIsDQogICAgICAgICAgImVkaXRzIjogew0KICAgICAgICAgICAgInJlc2l6ZSI6IHsNCiAgICAgICAgICAgICAgIndpZHRoIjogMjAwLA0KICAgICAgICAgICAgICAiaGVpZ2h0IjogbnVsbCwNCiAgICAgICAgICAgICAgImZpdCI6ICJpbnNpZGUiLA0KICAgICAgICAgICAgICAib3B0aW9ucyI6IHsNCiAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgIndpdGhvdXRFbmxhcmdlbWVudCIgOiB0cnVlDQogICAgICAgICAgICAgIH0NCiAgICAgICAgICAgIH0sDQoJICAgICAgInRvRm9ybWF0IjogIndlYnAiDQogICAgICAgICAgfQ0KICAgICAgICB9
Seydisfjördur, Iceland
Stroll the city’s quaint streets or explore the surrounding majestic fjord landscape.
Read More >
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
Djúpivogur, Iceland
Immerse yourself in Iceland’s nature during countryside hikes and black-sand beach strolls.
Read More >
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
Heimaey, Iceland
Explore Heimaey and its scenery, the largest island in the Vestmannaeyjar archipelago.
Read More >
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
Reykjavík, Iceland
Discover Reykjavík’s natural sites, from waterfalls to warm springs, and learn about the Sagas.
Read More >

1705516068800.pngIf we did the Viking Cruise, our thought was to extend the stay to go out to the Golden Circle and local sights.

Decisions, decisions!

Honestly, you can't do it all in one trip. I've been 3 times and am planning a 4th for next summer. Each trip gets longer as I find more I want to do. Having been in May, June, and March, I much prefer summer and my next trip will be August.

I'm not sure I understand what "indoor" activities you want to do there.

Interestingly, neither company you're looking at does much on the south coast, which is one of the "must do" areas of the country. Maybe because it's already full of tourists? Jokulsarlon, the glacier lagoon with it's diamond beach, is a big highlight for people.

I get the desire to not move frequently, and the appeal of a cruise to accomplish that. The biggest issue with Iceland, like I mentioned, is that the ports are so small there is very little to do there, besides Reykjavik and Akureyri. Because you can't traverse the center of the island, a land trip means you either move frequently, do a fair bit of back tracking, or just not cover much ground overall.

There are other companies that do land tours. I've done several Road Scholar tours. They are firmly mid-range, and not as heavy on the luxury as ABD, but the groups tend to be smaller. Their Iceland land trip is 13-24 people. In general, Iceland is expensive, so short of driving yourself and self-catering, it's just not a cheap destination any way you cut it.

Interestingly, neither company you're looking at does much on the south coast, which is one of the "must do" areas of the country. Maybe because it's already full of tourists? Jokulsarlon, the glacier lagoon with it's diamond beach, is a big highlight for people.

I get the desire to not move frequently, and the appeal of a cruise to accomplish that. The biggest issue with Iceland, like I mentioned, is that the ports are so small there is very little to do there, besides Reykjavik and Akureyri. Because you can't traverse the center of the island, a land trip means you either move frequently, do a fair bit of back tracking, or just not cover much ground overall.
ABD *used* to do Jokulsarlon! It was one of the biggest highlights for me. But it made for a *really* long day with a *really* long drive in the evening and a really early start the next morning. We drove out south, hiked Seljalandsfoss, did the Skaftafell Glacier Hike, then headed to Jokulsarlon. We then headed back in the direction of Reykjavik, had a really late dinner at the Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon then spent the night in Vik, got up early the next morning and headed back to Reykjavik to catch the flight to Akureyri. They either needed to spend an extra day in the south or skip something, so of course they decided to take out Jokulsarlon and the diamond beach. Ah, well!

Sayhello

I can see that. Jokulsarlon is at the far end of the "popular" sites. We did it in an overnight trip, but I did get tired of riding in the bus, especially the second day going back to Reykjavik.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter