? About offsite ecv rental

3DisneyBuggs

DIS Veteran
So now my knee is somehow injured so Im leaning towards an offsite ecv rental. I know they come apart for storage but my ? is can just the battery part be brought into the room for charging? We will have our car with us so Id rather not bring the whole thing into the room.

The ones we have rented in the past were not setup for just taking the batteries in for charging.

We have bought my sister her own scooter and the manufacturer recently came out with a charging base that we need to buy. That will allow us to just charge the batteries without the base.

So now my knee is somehow injured so Im leaning towards an offsite ecv rental. I know they come apart for storage but my ? is can just the battery part be brought into the room for charging? We will have our car with us so Id rather not bring the whole thing into the room.

My *personal* scooter has removable batteries, but almost every rental I have seen at WDW has a "serviceable" battery - meaning it can be changed if needed by taking the scooter apart, but is not intended to be removed and charged remotely from the scooter.

Actually, the only time you would need to take it apart and put it back together is if you are planning on driving to and from the Parks. Every bus at the Disney Resorts has a ramp for you to drive the ECV in and out of the bus. You only have to drive to the Parks if you want to. Remember that the rental scooter will not be able to be put on the parking lot trams, (it will have to be driven through the parking lot) so plan accordingly.

Regardless, you will need to drive it to your hotel room, and charge it overnight, every night completely. By making sure you have a full, complete charge, you should have no problems the next day.

I'm really sorry you hurt your knee! I have a couple of bad ones myself, so I sympathize!

Have the best trip you can, and don't hesitate to ask us if you have any more questions! :)

Most rentals don't want the batteries removed now; so, they secure them somehow to the base.

There was a time this was not true; so, there may be some vendors where it could still be possible to remove just the battery. I feel you will have to call to find out for sure.

I understand with using a car it's much easier to just charge the battery. About 10 years ago we were able to do so.

We typically rent from Buena Vista, the portable model. While the battery is removable, Buena Vista has securely cabled the charger to the back of the ECV. So even if you remove the battery you can't remove the charging unit. BV CLAIMED it was done to prevent theft of the charging unit in the parks. And you may want to consider how heavy the battery is. It's probably the heaviest part of the ECV. If you remove it to charge in the room (and NEVER fail to charge every night!) then you'd have to carry the heavy battery to your room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!