? About one time use points

JanealHoss

Earning My Ears
If I need say 14 points to complete a current reservation and I don't want to borrow them from my next use year since we are planning a large family trip for that year, can I elect to purchase the one time use points or can you only do that after you have exhausted all your potential points?

I was wondering the same. Also, can you borrow just say 10 or so points or does it have to be 24? We aren't DVC owners but have sent in a deposit and contract for a BWV resale so I'm praying everything works out!

If I need say 14 points to complete a current reservation and I don't want to borrow them from my next use year since we are planning a large family trip for that year, can I elect to purchase the one time use points or can you only do that after you have exhausted all your potential points?
I was wondering the same. Also, can you borrow just say 10 or so points or does it have to be 24? We aren't DVC owners but have sent in a deposit and contract for a BWV resale so I'm praying everything works out!

You can purchase OTUP at any point after your 7 month window opens, for only the amount of points you need, and you can even still have points available in the next UY. You can NOT purchase more mores than you need to make a reservation (IE: buy 24 points and then bank some into the next UY or for a booking at a later time).

Two conditions to getting one time use points are that you can only do it at 7 months out or less and you do not have the needed points left in the "current" use year applicable to the trip. It is promoted as something you can do to prevent having to borrow from a future use year and thus you do not need to borrow points from a future use year first before getting the one time use points. Note that you are also not required to bank points first to be able to use it.

Example: you have a Feb use year with 100 points and today you want to reserve early Feb 2016, 7 months out and need 114 points for that trip. With only 100 points in your Feb 2016 use year, you can reserve that trip and buy 14 one time use points. That is true even if you have 100 points in your Feb 2017 use year and 100 points still left in your Feb 2015 use year that have not yet been banked. Of course, in the usual case you would likely want to bank those 2015 points and use them for that trip but that is not required before buying one time use points. All that is required is that you are using up any points left (i.e., points not already devoted to other reservations) in that Feb 2016 use year during which your trip will occur.

Note that my understanding appears to be different from what is mentioned above that you can buy the points while still leaving points in your current use year applicable to the trip. This came up before on these boards and others who had tried reported MS has not allowed that. In other words, in the example above, where you have 100 use year points in the applicable use year and need 14, you cannot just use 90 of your points and buy the 24 maximum one time use year points while leaving 10 points in your use year applicable to the trip.

Last edited:

When I bought one time use points a couple of months ago - I called MS, since I was switching from my home resort to a different resort a little after 7 mo.s I had them use the 2015 points from my original reservation (and my stay falls in my 2015 use year - Dec. use year & Dec. stay) but since I was still short points I bought 24 points (the max) and borrowed 4 points from 2016 to complete the reservation. I still have the rest of my 2016 points on the books and was not required to borrow them, even tho' I could have.
I find I've turned into a point miser - whatever I can do to stretch my points I do :)

You can NOT purchase more mores than you need to make a reservation (IE: buy 24 points and then bank some into the next UY or for a booking at a later time).

But then you also cannot buy a second time in a UY. So if you, say, have a reservation somewhere using one-time points and then you want to change your resort and it would cost more...you can't do it. Because you can't buy more points for that UY.

sigh.

But then you also cannot buy a second time in a UY. So if you, say, have a reservation somewhere using one-time points and then you want to change your resort and it would cost more...you can't do it. Because you can't buy more points for that UY.

sigh.
No, that's changed. You can buy multiple times, up to the 24 points in one year year.

What would happen to the one time points if you were to cancel the reservation?
They would be returned to your account into the UY in which the reservation was to take place. They can't be banked/borrowed and will expire at the end of that UY if un-used.

Thank you! I assume the 7month rule still applies to those points.
  • One-time-use vacation points used for Disney Vacation Club resort reservations can only be used up to 7 months prior to arrival.
  • One-time-use vacation points for Disney Collection and World Collection reservations can be used according to the booking guidelines for each individual collection.

All great information above. Also, if you cancel the reservation in which you purchased the OTUY points, just like transferred in points - they do not show online for rebooking purposes. You will have to call MS to set up the new reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!