ADA compliant ?

ms_mckenna

DIS Veteran
Ok I am really confused I have been trying to read the government site and I just don't get most of it. Is there a place that puts it in simpler form?

We had a HORRIBLE experience last night in Whataburger and I just cannot see how they can possibly be following the rules. I had to go to the bathroom with DS there were no choices. The sink was compliant I will give them that. None of the stalls were any bigger, and his walker would not fit thru the door of the stall. We had to leave the walker outside and there were no bars inside the bathroom for him to use to help him get situated. I cannot imagine how an adult without an aide could have possibly managed. I am not even sure an adult with an aide would have been able to manage if the bathroom stall was closed. His small k walker barely fit in the bathroom I think an adult wheelchair would have been impossible. It was very degrading I think for my son. :( Sorry I am frustrated and rambling. My point is does anyone know where I can go to figure out if this place is following the rules or not?

Yeah, government stuff is a little hard to understand. :eek:

Do you have any kind of social worker/ service coordinator/ type-person you could get info from?

Or the school system has someone I'm sure.

Maybe try calling them and just chatting with them for a bit, and see if they can tell you the regulations for those things. People that deal with ADA for a living, can usually quote it right off the top of their heads.

I know for me, I work at a community college and there is a lady there that does all the ADA compliance stuff. If I ever have any questions about DS, I just call her and ask. She doesn't know IDEA :) but the ADA thing she's got it going on.

Thanks for the info. I called and talked to someone at the ADA help line this morning and he told me to file a complaint. He said that there is a grey area but he does not see why they do not at the very least have rails. I must say I have to agree. :(

Thanks for the info. I called and talked to someone at the ADA help line this morning and he told me to file a complaint. He said that there is a grey area but he does not see why they do not at the very least have rails. I must say I have to agree. :(
I think it's best to file a complaint. That way, someone will actually come out and measure to see whether it is complaint.
Here's a diagram of an accessible standard toilet stall from the ADA website:
www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/reg3a/fig30a.htm

The doorway needs to be at least 32 inches wide, which should be wide enough for a standard wheelchair, walker or power wheelchair. The stall needs to be at least 56 inches deep (if it is only that deep, it needs to have a wall mounted toilet).
This diagram shows alternate standard toilet stalls if room is limited and it is not technically feasible to do the regular standard toilet (for example, if there is no way to move plumbing):
www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/reg3a/fig30b.htm
All of the images show the minimum allowed number of grab bars (they are the sort of pipe looking things attached to the wall on the pictures).
These diagrams show a side view:
www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/reg3a/fig30c.htm
www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/reg3a/fig30d.htm

Here's where you can find the whole regulation. The bathroom stall info is in area 4.17

These are the minimums and I can tell you from personal experience that some stalls that match the minimum do not have enough room to get a wheelchair in and shut the door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter