Additional Virtual Queues coming?

That is what the basic level of flash pass at six flags is (which you have to pay for). Line wait time is the same but you enter a queue on a device with you and then the device tells you when you can go to the ride and basically walk on. (they do have higher levels that reduce the time). Having something like that is the only way I go to six flags in the middle of the summer. Join a queue, go get something to eat or go to the bar and relax and then walk over to ride when it's time. I'm not standing in an hour and a half line, but I'll join a queue and go sit at the bar for an hour and a half.
we used Flash Pass on a visit to Six Flags year ago and really liked it. However, while virtually waiting in the 1-2 hour lines for the headliner roller coaster, we were able to stand in shorter lines for other rides. So, in that 1-2 hours, we still got to ride maybe 3-4 rides.

As soon as we tapped in for the Flash Pass ride, we reserved another headliner... again, was 45 minutes to 2 hours wait, but we rode other things during that time. By cutting out the ultra-long waits for the headliners and just using standby for "secondary" rides, we got to ride everything we wanted during the peak season.

But if ALL rides are using virtual queue only, they'd have to figure out a way for you to be in more than one virtual queue at a time. Otherwise, you'd be locked out of riding anything else until you get called for your first ride. If that's ROTR, for example, it might be the only ride you get to go on all day.

But if ALL rides are using virtual queue only, they'd have to figure out a way for you to be in more than one virtual queue at a time. Otherwise, you'd be locked out of riding anything else until you get called for your first ride. If that's ROTR, for example, it might be the only ride you get to go on all day.

Have never done Flash, but have done Rise. Not sure why they couldn't have VQ on more than one attraction for a guest.

We had FP+ that day and Rise VQ took all day anyway , so we just did FP+ around the VQ 1 hour return time (which was 12 hours later)-and was updated all day long.

So if we had Rise and Slink as VQ, I would think the S/W could adjust our passes to not return "exactly" during the 1 hour window.

Or if it did, it could adjust and give a 2 hour return window or something maybe?

Last edited:
So... this makes me wonder, if Disney did move to VQs for the popular rides, would we really even need FP+ anymore?

The fly in the ointment is this: while waiting for your FP return time (or BG to be called), people typically get in line for other attractions while they wait, or shop, or eat at a restaurant. All of those things still have you in close contact with thousands of other people.

If you can only hold one VQ+ pass (patent pending?) at a time, people are still going to be congregating in other places while waiting to be called for that ride.

If all attractions are virtual queue (and you can only virtually hold your place in one line at a time), that eliminates the possibility of going on other rides while waiting to be called. So you would only be able to eat, shop, or "hang around waiting." That doesn't fix the problem and results in most guests only getting to ride a few things the entire day.

Granted, we've all seen disgruntled reports of only being able to ride 3 rides in the past because of crowds, but this could be true for virtually (no pun intended) everyone.

Rumor has it that if they reopen they will do everything they can to minimize gathering. Limiting capacities inside buildings, no parades, no fireworks, no lines for quick service (mobile order only), hand washing and hand sanitizing stations all around, etc. And this would only be once they are able to reopen per state rules (right now I think we are limited to groups of 10? I can't remember, I don't leave my house so I don't care)

So... this makes me wonder, if Disney did move to VQs for the popular rides, would we really even need FP+ anymore?
I dunno. VQ seems like a cool idea and has worked well for Rise of the Resistance, but you still have to wait in line for anywhere from 15-45 minutes to board a transport. It's not like FP+ where you skip almost the entire line. Even when FP lines get backed up, I've rarely had to wait longer than 10 minutes to get on a ride, save FoP because of its long pre-show.

Plus, Disney seems 100% into the idea of "planning" your trip, and I can't see them stepping away from that.

The crowds each morning at DHS, there for boarding groups, had to be the most anti-social distancing approach to things I have seen. Literally thousands of people, shoulder to shoulder outside the park in a small space, and then just inside the entrance. If they do attempt some kind of virtual queues moving forward, it can't be by being at the park in person an hour before the parks open. That's not going to work - if we continue to promote some kind of social distancing in the future. It's not clear what could work if 6' is considered the norm in the future.

But think about this conversation outside the realm of just the Disney parks. What will professional sports stadiums do - folks are on top of each other there. Airplanes? Public transportation? Movie theaters. I'm sure there are many other examples that need to be considered. Queues at Disney will be a lower priority compared to other more important aspects of our lives. Unusual times right now.

I dunno. VQ seems like a cool idea and has worked well for Rise of the Resistance, but you still have to wait in line for anywhere from 15-45 minutes to board a transport. It's not like FP+ where you skip almost the entire line. Even when FP lines get backed up, I've rarely had to wait longer than 10 minutes to get on a ride, save FoP because of its long pre-show.

Plus, Disney seems 100% into the idea of "planning" your trip, and I can't see them stepping away from that.
In theory the system would have to give you a dynamic time that adjusted when there were stoppages or slow loading so that it literally would be walk on.

I think pre-reservations would still be a part of this, but the actual time would be dynamically adjusted. There could also be automated way to maintain family group separation and entry order as groups approach the attraction

In theory the system would have to give you a dynamic time that adjusted when there were stoppages or slow loading so that it literally would be walk on.

I think pre-reservations would still be a part of this, but the actual time would be dynamically adjusted. There could also be automated way to maintain family group separation and entry order as groups approach the attraction
In theory, yes, but that requires a lot more IT infrastructure and operations staff than Disney currently has and likely will ever want to carry.

In theory, yes, but that requires a lot more IT infrastructure and operations staff than Disney currently has and likely will ever want to carry.
I agree on the IT side, but done correctly (automated) it should not take any more park staff

Not sure how that would work. EX 7DMT sends a train every minute I believe.

So 20 guests need to have a return window 10:05 to 10:06, and the next 20 10:06 to 10:07 to never have a line.

So 20 guests need to have a return window 10:05 to 10:06, and the next 20 10:06 to 10:07 to never have a line.
I think there would be fractional as well as a count down to entry clock (that would adjust dynamically). The entry predication/flow adjustment algorithms would be the most complex part since they would likely need real time CM input initially before a more advance entry traffic flow visual/electronic system could be developed. Think of it as a modified version of the vehicular traffic flow systems that have been prototyped

I think there would be fractional as well as a count down to entry clock (that would adjust dynamically). The entry predication/flow adjustment algorithms would be the most complex part since they would likely need real time CM input initially before a more advance entry traffic flow visual/electronic system could be developed. Think of it as a modified version of the vehicular traffic flow systems that have been prototyped

Not really - you have 10 minutes windows b/c you're gonna need 5+ minutes to clean/sanitize after each ride...

Not really - you have 10 minutes windows b/c you're gonna need 5+ minutes to clean/sanitize after each ride...

Ah I got ya. So 20 guests can ride every 10 minutes.

I could see that work.

They could then send the next 20 riders (and not allow congregating at the entrance) at a 6 foot single file, through the que and by then the last group has exited and the car and que cleaned.

Then they could walk right on and sit down.

Just limit attendance to DIS members and we'll have plenty of room to spread out and enjoy the parks crowd-free! 😉

Well if we all go to MK only one day this year (1,555 members of 567,611) we still can't all ride 7DMT at 20 per 10 minutes in a 12 hour day.

Other than that it would be very quiet indeed.

Well if we all go to MK only one day this year (1,555 members of 567,611) we still can't all ride 7DMT at 20 per 10 minutes in a 12 hour day.

Other than that it would be very quiet indeed.

Yeah, I could see splitting people into 7DMT and Big Thunder if Disney went the "preplanned" day for 1500 MK folks to start...space would probably stay closed as it's all indoors...

What I think they should do is just replace the Standard Line with a VQ. Walk up to a line, tap/register your phone or magicband then you're on line. Fastpasses work the same as they do now.

You can even convert every ride to have just one line and once the VQ is ready, you walk up and enter the fast pass line. Assuming you can work it out so FPs are actually fast, then as a FP holder you get to see the fun queues that you typically skip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter