Advertising around the 2018 FIFA World Cup in the US

I can't believe any company would think USMNT fans would root for their most heated rival because the US managed to not make it. I'm trying to imagine how tone deaf it would be if Argentina failed to qualify, which was dangerously close to happening, and some company decided to run an add saying "we aren't there so root for Brazil". It just doesn't happen.

I don't think Mexico gets out of the group personally and, if they do, they will likely play Brazil in the round of 16. Anything can happen but they are not that good of a team when they play outside of CONCACAF and I don't think they will still be in that game at half time.

ITA with all of this - no self-respecting USMNT fan would ever root for Mexico.

That being said, there are millions of Mexican-Americans living in the US, so I wouldn't be surprised at all that a company would be advertising in the US during the World Cup.

Oh, I agree that advertising to the large Mexican-American population makes sense. It is the "North American Adopted Football Team Agreement" thing I found asinine.

My two teams both managed to conspire not to make it, the US and Italy. I am going to be pulling for France myself though I think Germany are the favorites. I like them but don't want them to pull ahead of Italy with a 5th win.

I'd actually like to see a rematch of Portugal and France in the final with Ronaldo on the pitch. I don't think it is likely but it is what I would like to see happen.

Hmmm, I can see that the "just root for another North American team" things is odd. Then again, North America has made a joint bid to host in 2026----I mean, if we cannot cheer one another on when not even in competition against one another, then how are we supposed to be gracious hosts working together?

I know lots of people who root equally for Mexico and the US---largely because they have roots in both places.

I'd far prefer Mexico over Eurofloppers.
My 19 year old (who grew up in Germany) said "there are self respecting USMNT fans?"

(we are both huge fans of the women's team---but the US Men has so many dual nationals who grew up in Germany and the programs here and then chose to use the US passport for playing when it was clear they couldn't make the German team that it is hard for him to wrap his mind around being all that impressed and seeing them as their own team, plus we are both a bit bitter that the men play so relatively poorly and still get far more money and recognition than the women who kick *** and are the current world champions --maybe if he had ever watched from within his country of birth . . .:rotfl2:).

Me? I am hoping Germany gets that fifth star (and I think it likely---our B team was SO on point for the Confederate cup, it'S hard to imagine that adding back in the A lit players wont result in a win, but you never know and I do not want to be over confidant). I agree that the flopping is annoying as heck (one of the reasons I love to watch the women play---none of that crap), and too many Germans do that, but I love how Germany is very much a full on team, nearly every player out there can play multiple positions well, up to and including our keeper who is just incredible to see play anyway.
I also love Mexico and Iceland (I who doesn't) as well. I think Mexico has about a 50/50 chance of making it out of the bracket over Sweden, I am hopeful.

what I dislike far more than the flopping is:

rough play (teams which act like it is rugby) like Uruguay and Argentina tend to do
teams who rely on stars instead of playing well as a team
teams whose fans are jerks and the players/coaches/organization don't say or do much to curtail that (England and Russia I am looking at you)

Last edited:

My 19 year old (who grew up in Germany) said "there are self respecting USMNT fans?"

(we are both huge fans of the women's team---but the US Men has so many dual nationals who grew up in Germany and the programs here and then chose to use the US passport for playing when it was clear they couldn't make the German team that it is hard for him to wrap his mind around being all that impressed and seeing them as their own team, plus we are both a bit bitter that the men play so relatively poorly and still get far more money and recognition than the women who kick *** and are the current world champions --maybe if he had ever watched from within his country of birth . . .:rotfl2:).

Me? I am hoping Germany gets that fifth star (and I think it likely---our B team was SO on point for the Confederate cup, it'S hard to imagine that adding back in the A lit players wont result in a win, but you never know and I do not want to be over confidant). I agree that the flopping is annoying as heck (one of the reasons I love to watch the women play---none of that crap), and too many Germans do that, but I love how Germany is very much a full on team, nearly every player out there can play multiple positions well, up to and including our keeper who is just incredible to see play anyway.
I also love Mexico and Iceland (I who doesn't) as well. I think Mexico has about a 50/50 chance of making it out of the bracket over Sweden, I am hopeful.

what I dislike far more than the flopping is:

rough play (teams which act like it is rugby) like Uruguay and Argentina tend to do
teams who rely on stars instead of playing well as a team
teams whose fans are jerks and the players/coaches/organization don't say or do much to curtail that (England and Russia I am looking at you)

I think that needs to be a poll. :magnify:

I can't believe any company would think USMNT fans would root for their most heated rival because the US managed to not make it. I'm trying to imagine how tone deaf it would be if Argentina failed to qualify, which was dangerously close to happening, and some company decided to run an add saying "we aren't there so root for Brazil". It just doesn't happen.

Wells Fargo and Landon Donovan are doing damage control over this:

5b2535ea1ae66255008b4f3c-960-702.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.com/landon-donovan-world-cup-other-team-mexico-2018-6
https://twitter.com/WellsFargo/status/1007695242269810691/video/1

He’s out of retirement and is on contract in Mexico. I saw the schedule and he signed after his team’s trip to that stadium.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter